• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Somnid

I still can't believe they launched the iPhone 5 without NFC. I almost wonder if they had planned it and took it out. Basically murders all utility of passbook. Also having to install apps to be able to use things is bullshit. I don't want a ton of useless retailer specific apps.

Passbook is already useful for me. It needs further adoption, but it works well.

I see the potential in it, but there should be hundreds of stores supporting it not just a handful, and until that happens only a few will find it useful

I still can't believe they launched the iPhone 5 without NFC. I almost wonder if they had planned it and took it out. Basically murders all utility of passbook. Also having to install apps to be able to use things is bullshit. I don't want a ton of useless retailer specific apps.

I also find that idiotic and simply baffling

This is what kills it for me, and probably why I won't ever use it.

Appleman

I think the concept behind passbook is fantastic and just wish it had more support. The sooner I can place all of my loyalty/points/gift cards in my phone, the better

jcm

You missed something. Compatible apps are optional and up to the retailer. Tickets/passes/cards can be sent as attachments.

How does that work? I'm not able to find any specifics via Google. Can I manually add stuff to Passbook myself?

Link

The Autumn Wind
I think the concept behind passbook is fantastic and just wish it had more support. The sooner I can place all of my loyalty/points/gift cards in my phone, the better
Just a heads-up to you and everyone else, the latest update to Red Laser added this option and it works great. It also lists any sales or deals those retailers are currently offering.

Alchemy

Forgot Passbook was even a thing since my iPad 1 didn't get iOS 6. Makes thing though, has anyone tried using Passbook on their iPad? Could be... amusing.

Quick

Banned
Passbook saves me the extra step of swiping to the next page and opening the Starbucks app. Same thing with the Cineplex app in addition to tapping the SCENE card icon.

For anyone who wants to make their own Passbook card, there's People's Card. It also lets you customize it by adding an icon and an image in the middle. I personally prefer something more official from retailers/providers themselves, but I'm sure there's some who would love to make their own here.

LCfiner

Yeah, I guess. Even with the mini it would still be an awkward experience, I would think.

probably. But , as we all know...

yqgph.jpg

HiF8k.jpg

j0CVl.jpg

2NonF.jpg

... people won't care :)

LCfiner

let them be, who cares if they use an iPad in public to take pics? I don't use one but trend to make fun of those that do is boring

it's a light hearted jab. To be clear: I'm not hating on anyone. I honestly don't care nor would I stop anyone from using an ipad for such purposes. Just a joke.

If you buy a ticket to a MLB game, for example, they email you the pass. You don't have to have the app.

You can make your own passes, but it may or may not be supported by the retailer.

http://passsource.com/
Woah, didn't know this existed. Nothing pertinent came up when I tried to find more info on Google. Thanks.

A shame I can't seem to add Groupons like with LivingSocial, though.

I think mine is too. It's falling back to SMS I think.
Oh okay good. Not just me. Yup.

And why does it fall back to SMS even though I have that option to send as SMS turned off? Stupid apple. Just made a shit load ($2 worth) of international texts because of that.

Talon

I really just shake my head whenever I see folks taking pictures with their iPads in public. Happens all the damn time in Chicago.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Am I crazy? I updated to iOS6, after putting it off for weeks (because of the maps), and I'm finding that I actually don't mind them that much. I like the interface better, and I like the direction system much, much better. But all in all, it doesn't seem that different. I live in Los Angeles though, so I guess my area would be heavily serviced. The only thing I don't really like is that sometimes street names randomly disappear. Other than that I guess I was afraid of nothing.

Mairu

Am I crazy? I updated to iOS6, after putting it off for weeks (because of the maps), and I'm finding that I actually don't mind them that much. I like the interface better, and I like the direction system much, much better. But all in all, it doesn't seem that different. I live in Los Angeles though, so I guess my area would be heavily serviced. The only thing I don't really like is that sometimes street names randomly disappear. Other than that I guess I was afraid of nothing.

They've been continuously rolling out improvements to specific map issues. At this point as long as you aren't someone who used transit or biking directions it probably is fine in most areas.

KingKong

So the Google app just updated with voice search and...

it's amazing! Holy shit, it types as you talk, is super accurate and crazy fast. Sure does make Siri look like shit

mf.luder

it's amazing! Holy shit, it types as you talk, is super accurate and crazy fast. Sure does make Siri look like shit

The thing I hate about Siri is tapping the button to finish speaking. I want it to be hands free.

Majine

Banned
Oh my fucking god, it's so fast. I like the voice better too. God fucking dammit that this can't communicate with other apps. I always set alarms with Siri.

Enco

It's beautiful.

Downloaded the update earlier today but decided to try it after reading these posts.

Siri is a joke because it's so slow.

As tempting as Google Now is, I can't switch. I've spent far too much on iOS apps and am far too invested with things like iTunes Match, iMessage and Facetime. I just hope Apple can drastically up their game. Maps, constant Match outages and a slow Siri are annoying.

Edit: actually, I wouldn't even consider switching until Google completely overhaul their ugly as hell UI. Google Now is amazing but the Android UI is downright awful in my opinion. So messy and non uniform

jcm

They've been continuously rolling out improvements to specific map issues. At this point as long as you aren't someone who used transit or biking directions it probably is fine in most areas.
Old maps didn't have bike directions. You had to use the web app.

That is really, really impressive.

Mindwipe

Haha.

No.

Not even close. Today, months after launch, Apple finally seems to have got the last of the London underground stations on their maps.

The most obvious piece of data in London has taken this long to get right. The vast majority of POI data is still completely wrong. I suspect nobody, in the entire world, not even the people who coded the damn thing, understand the principles by which things disappear and reappear given the zoom level.

It is fundamentally broken, not "fine".

Mairu

Haha.

No.

Not even close. Today, months after launch, Apple finally seems to have got the last of the London underground stations on their maps.

The most obvious piece of data in London has taken this long to get right. The vast majority of POI data is still completely wrong. I suspect nobody, in the entire world, not even the people who coded the damn thing, understand the principles by which things disappear and reappear given the zoom level.

It is fundamentally broken, not "fine".

*in USA maybe? :/

I hope Google releases a Maps app soon

Top Bottom