• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

lexi

Banned
It's beautiful.

Downloaded the update earlier today but decided to try it after reading these posts.

Siri is a joke because it's so slow.

As tempting as Google Now is, I can't switch. I've spent far too much on iOS apps and am far too invested with things like iTunes Match, iMessage and Facetime. I just hope Apple can drastically up their game. Maps, constant Match outages and a slow Siri are annoying.

Edit: actually, I wouldn't even consider switching until Google completely overhaul their ugly as hell UI. Google Now is amazing but the Android UI is downright awful in my opinion. So messy and non uniform

I seriously considered switching but honestly there is no perfect phone for me, I would have to deal with my own annoyances using an Android or a WP8 device, the iPhone 5 is probably the 'least' annoying to me right now, and I'm hoping there are a lot of improvements ahead.

Milchjon

The Verge on the financials of Punch Quest:

But the reality was much different. Despite surpassing 600,000 downloads, Punch Quest only just crossed into the five figure range in terms of revenue

I wonder what those figures would even look like in other ecosystems. It illustrates how "Well, we're going iOS" might not be the one size fits all solution for game developers...

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

I wonder what those figures would even look like in other ecosystems. It illustrates how "Well, we're going iOS" might not be the one size fits all solution for game developers...
From what people were saying in the iOS gaming thread it sounds like the problem is that they made it too easy to get gold in the game without IAP, so even those players who would buy it normally don't feel incentive to churn out the cash.

Ouch.makes sense though, I've been playing the crap out of this game and never was once tempted by the iap. Gold should have been less plentiful (like 4x less), stuff should cost more and there should be more special money-only boosts. Or they could release some new levels/enemies for a fee. I'd pay for that.
I would rather have paid 69p to £1.99 for the game rather than invest in IAP's. Just an instant turn off for me and as a rule of thumb I generally don't buy anything on those lines, vs being happy to pay just about anything upfront.
You're not the typical iOS user though, pretty much none of us on GAF are. The typical iOS user wants free apps and happily invests in IAPs, it's the best business model to pursue, really, but as Jedeye mentions, they just misjudged their economy.

bonesquad

There was a story the other day on Pocket Gamer detailing this as well. In this case the bigger issue is how the developers implemented the game's economy rather than the game is a bad fit for iOS. Yes, the App Store is very competitive and outside a few notable exceptions very hard to make money from (short of exploitative IAP models), but Punch Quest is a bad example because their design wasn't going to succeed. There is very little incentive or even reminder to spend money on the game.

Enco

I seriously considered switching but honestly there is no perfect phone for me, I would have to deal with my own annoyances using an Android or a WP8 device, the iPhone 5 is probably the 'least' annoying to me right now, and I'm hoping there are a lot of improvements ahead.
Agreed.

Android has Google Now but an awful UI.

iOS has great simple design and brilliant app store but crappy voice/slow updates.

W8 has a nice design but an awful app store in comparison to the other two.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
They all have their plusses and minuses. I use Apple devices because of how well they work together. For me you can't beat that kind of integration. Also the app store contents and OS X is just nice.

Nicktendo86

Agreed.

Android has Google Now but an awful UI.

iOS has great simple design and brilliant app store but crappy voice/slow updates.

W8 has a nice design but an awful app store in comparison to the other two.
Speak for yourself, I love the look/design if jelly bean and 4.2 looks even better. It is as simple or as complicated as you want it to be.

Kreven

Apple taking their sweet time with 6.0.1, I need this stupid wifi issue fixed

iOS 6.0.1 just released:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/01...d-screen-glitch-camera-flash-issues-and-more/

This update contains improvements and bug fixes, including:

- Fixes a bug that prevents iPhone 5 from installing software updates wirelessly over the air
- Fixes a bug where horizontal lines may be displayed across the keyboard
- Fixes an issue that could cause camera flash to not go off
- Improves reliability of iPhone 5 and iPod touch (5th generation) when connected to encrypted WPA2 Wi-Fi networks
- Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances
- Consolidated the Use Cellular Data switch for iTunes Match
- Fixes a Passcode Lock bug which sometimes allowed access to Passbook pass details from lock screen
- Fixes a bug affecting Exchange meetings

I'm glad this is finally fixed. My iPhone 5 has such a hard time staying connected to my AirPlay speaker when I hold it in my hands or have it in my pockets.

Kabuto

Whoa the gears move while you're updating your phone. That's cool. I hope 6.0.1 fixes the problem where my phone says it's connected to wifi but it doesn't load anything.

dorkimoe

Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances

I really hope this fixes the issue. It was really annoying.

Id rather lose access to facebook on my phone for a couple days then deal with the cell network dropping while using it. Updating

Ovid

What bug is that? If you mean the lock screen on the 4", that's not a bug, just lazy work.
After I updated to iOS 6 OTA, I lost most of my album artwork in the Album section of the Music app.

zk9zW.jpg

Everything was fine before the update.

bonesquad

What bug is that? If you mean the lock screen on the 4", that's not a bug, just lazy work.

I wouldn't call it lazy work. They clearly put the album art in that position so it matches the position of the album art in the Music app after you unlock the phone. It's just poor/bad work:)

LCfiner

I don't know why an update would break that. Isn't album art info embedded in the music file and such?

nope. there's a separate repository of album art images that itunes and iOS will point to. it can get wonky with icloud.

in fact, even before icloud and iphones, i remember that it would be possible to get mismatched album art and albums on old ipods if a sync didn't complete properly

Ashhong

nope. there's a separate repository of album art images that itunes and iOS will point to. it can get wonky with icloud.

in fact, even before icloud and iphones, i remember that it would be possible to get mismatched album art and albums on old ipods if a sync didn't complete properly

Hm so this problem only happens when you use iCloud for music right? I don't plan on doing that so I should be okay. I do remember the old iPod days now. It was always the last part of the sync iirc, "Syncing album art"

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
FYI my facebook app is crashing, and I didn't update. I think somethings going on with the back end data or something.

edgefusion

My mum just text me and FB is crashing on both her iPad 1 (which is stuck on some older iOS as it's no longer supported) and her iPhone 4S which is still on 6.0

Top Bottom