• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Compared to the iOS 5 beta this is incredible. Camera didn't even work in ios 5 beta 1!

There's no big updates as a whole, but it's all the little things that make this OS smoother. Such as not getting booted out of the store to install apps, the new banner that pops up on newly downloaded apps, and the ability to quick compose a message from safari is pretty neat.

I don't like how iTunes match works in the music app though, you can't clearly see what songs are on iCloud.

Has anyone noticed how apple called the weather and networking apps in notification center as widgets?

Shearie

For the new page.

A question to anyone in the beta; when "Do Not Disturb" is on and you get a call, will the call not interrupt what you're doing anymore or does it just silence the ring? I'll be very disappointed if it's just the latter.

Ahaha, definitely has some kinks to work out:

2f59c95c1942517f2d415fadeecc7e3a51e715e3.jpg
Destination: The Toronto Maples Leafs in April

swiftjay

Neo Member
What i'm mostly looking forward to is the do not disturb where you can put your phone on silent like airplane mode and it doesn't notify you of anyone or anything unless it's one of your emergency numbers.

Haven't seen that in my android it's very impressive.

Zeppu

I know this is an edge case but could anyone check Valletta, Malta on the new Apple maps? Bing maps are already fairly barren for insignificant countries and I want to see if this is the same thing here.

Pachael

Passbook sounds the most promising thing coming out of iOS6 (other than Maps) due to what looks like a capability to store these little bits and pieces of offers, coupons, tickets etcetera. (Wait till you can share/trade them, or 'earn' them by walking near an establishment)

That said, today seemed like only one half of the update, the other should come with the new iPhone if NFC does make it.

rozay

Banned
Non Americans who need better map support than what apple offers should probably bookmark maps.google.com on their phones-considering the limited capabilities of the original iPhone app it's really similar and works pretty well.

Are the maps really vector based (not precached raster images at various scale levels)? If so, I wonder how the hell they are going to make it as fast...

tino

Banned
Are the maps really vector based (not precached raster images at various scale levels)? If so, I wonder how the hell they are going to make it as fast...

I am sure is vector. TomTom map has been like that since 2004. The 3D satellite map is however raster and slow.

When is it officially releasing? Also, are they officially supporting emoji or do I have to rely on the app?

Emoji has been available without an app since iOS 5. You still need to turn it on under the keyboard settings, but it doesn't need to be "unlocked" like it used to.

I am sure is vector. TomTom map has been like that since 2004. The 3D satellite map is however raster and slow.

I wonder if they are going to load the vectors onto the iPhone rather than a server-client model like google maps. That would solve the speed issue...vector map elements are small but it's hard to get smaller than a compressed 512x512 jpg

noah111

Still Alive
Here, it's subtle. Clock icon also seems slightly different...
Looks like they FINALLY updated the settings app icon so the gears aren't bladed sharp. Oh and the diagonal bg graphic on the phone and messages apps seems more subtle as well.

Willectro

Banned
I couldn't be more apprehensive about the Maps. Seems like a feature that will be great in the US, and not so much everywhere else.

Why must Apple always fight with other tech companies (I can think of Adobe for one) at the cost of end user satisfaction?

LCfiner

I couldn't be more apprehensive about the Maps. Seems like a feature that will be great in the US, and not so much everywhere else.

Why must Apple always fight with other tech companies (I can think of Adobe for one) at the cost of end user satisfaction?

well, I’d say their battle with Adobe over flash on iOS ended up with more user satisfaction because flash on mobile devices sucked. and now it’s dead and better solutions can be used.

As for the maps... yeah, the jury is out. let’s see how they work at launch. I will say this, though: If the maps are missing things like transit directions in cities for 6 months or more after launch in the fall, then Apple may have pulled the plug on the google maps too early.

again, we’ll see how it goes. but I have a feeling that Apple wanted to get out of the deal so badly with Google that they’re willing to have substandard data and features for countries outside the US for a while as they build up the database.

Apple dropped the ball with not supplying the iPhone 4 with Turn by Turn IMO

Really shitty move

Also, what's with the image on-screen options on the little boys photo. Is this Apple or Facebook UI?

cYchL.png

Really shitty move

Also, what's with the image on-screen options on the little boys photo. Is this Apple or Facebook UI?

cYchL.png

I think they mentioned you could comment on photos in Shared Photo Streams. Not sure how to set one up though

Blackhead

Redarse
well, I’d say their battle with Adobe over flash on iOS ended up with more user satisfaction because flash on mobile devices sucked. and now it’s dead and better solutions can be used.

As for the maps... yeah, the jury is out. let’s see how they work at launch. I will say this, though: If the maps are missing things like transit directions in cities for 6 months or more after launch in the fall, then Apple may have pulled the plug on the google maps too early.

again, we’ll see how it goes. but I have a feeling that Apple wanted to get out of the deal so badly with Google that they’re willing to have substandard data and features for countries outside the US for a while as they build up the database.
... !

So if you ask Siri "What's the score of the Giants game?" it is smart enough to use location services to guess New York or San Francisco Giants. That's great, but things get a little more murky when it comes to college sports. Siri only supports football and basketball (that's fine). But, from late November to mid-January, both of those sports are going on. If I ask it "What's the score of the FSU game?" which is it going to give me? My guess is it will default to the most recent score, but who knows?

So if you ask Siri "What's the score of the Giants game?" it is smart enough to use location services to guess New York or San Francisco Giants. That's great, but things get a little more murky when it comes to college sports. Siri only supports football and basketball (that's fine). But, from late November to mid-January, both of those sports are going on. If I ask it "What's the score of the FSU game?" which is it going to give me? My guess is it will default to the most recent score, but who knows?

well wouldn't a human being also ask you to specify if there was any uncertainty about what you mean? so surely it would make sense to just frame the question in a uniquely identifiable way.

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
anyone wanna search up a random city in china?

I know china ain't a big fan with google, maybe they like apple more.

I'm here visiting China and it really doesn't like these new maps. It won't display my current location or any other city, state or country that I input. Literally nothing doing right now.

And praise be they FINALLY updated the shut down wheel to be retina. I know another poster on here mentioned that a few days ago. It's the little things.

Kosmo

Banned
Passbook sounds the most promising thing coming out of iOS6 (other than Maps) due to what looks like a capability to store these little bits and pieces of offers, coupons, tickets etcetera. (Wait till you can share/trade them, or 'earn' them by walking near an establishment)

That said, today seemed like only one half of the update, the other should come with the new iPhone if NFC does make it.

This - it should finally lead to a standardization of these sort of store cards. There are apps now where you can put in a code for your grocery card, but in my experience, most stores can't scan your phone with their readers. Hopefully this changes that.

Apple I think.

I think they mentioned you could comment on photos in Shared Photo Streams. Not sure how to set one up though

Thanks!

Well how do you expect them to keep selling you new phones when they make new features available on the old ones?

But Apple don't need to gimp certain apps like we are badly behaved children. Either supply everything or nothing at all IMO

Im for though, I'm getting the new iPhone. But for my mum who doesn't need the whole fancy smancy iPhone 5, she gets gimped.

FcNVk.png

Okay here we go. Open Photos app, select photos, Share > Photo Stream, invite friends. Comment.

Hot fiyaaaa!

Also, where is the dev thread for ios6, think I'll buy in

well wouldn't a human being also ask you to specify if there was any uncertainty about what you mean? so surely it would make sense to just frame the question in a uniquely identifiable way.

Yeah this makes more sense. Either that or I'll just qualify it up front "What's the score of the FSU football/basketball game?"

I found out that the Devils lost the Stanley Cup last night via Siri :( :( :(

RedSwirl

Is there an iPad thread? If not then lemme just ask a couple questions;

I'm still rocking an iPad 1 and it looks like iOS6 is forcing me to upgrade this year, but I keep hearing reports that there might be an iPad mini or something - like an iPad that's the size of a Kindle Fire. Any credence to these? If not then I might as well trade in my iPad for a 3rd generation now.

I'm just hoping this doesn't turn into a repeat of what happened to the 3G when iOS4 came out.

Is there an iPad thread? If not then lemme just ask a couple questions;

I'm still rocking an iPad 1 and it looks like iOS6 is forcing me to upgrade this year, but I keep hearing reports that there might be an iPad mini or something - like an iPad that's the size of a Kindle Fire. Any credence to these? If not then I might as well trade in my iPad for a 3rd generation now.

I can't see them releasing a smaller iPad.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty pissed. I have an iPhone 4. When iOS6 rolls out Google Maps goes away and I'm stuck with a gimped version of Apple Maps.

SuperPac

But Apple don't need to gimp certain apps like we are badly behaved children. Either supply everything or nothing at all IMO

Im for though, I'm getting the new iPhone. But for my mum who doesn't need the whole fancy smancy iPhone 5, she gets gimped.

This has happened with nearly every iPhone release. There was something in the new iOS version that only the new device got and the older ones didn't. I can't remember all of the features but it was things like the compass, gyro, Facetime, HDR, Siri. I'm sure when the iPhone 5 comes out there will be some feature that iPhone 4S customers won't have (maybe NFC?). The iPhone 4 is just about 2 years old. It's not that terrible to think it won't get all the new hotness.

I'm pretty pissed. I have an iPhone 4. When iOS6 rolls out Google Maps goes away and I'm stuck with a gimped version of Apple Maps.

Who's to say Google won't release a separate Google Maps application for iOS? I'm kind of assuming that they will.

Who's to say Google won't release a separate Google Maps application for iOS? I'm kind of assuming that they will.

This will almost certainly happen. Google went on record like two weeks ago saying that they were bringing all their new map enhancements to iOS, and they must have known by then that Apple was doing their own app. That seems to imply that they are already working on their own iOS maps app.

kehs

Banned

Apple is going full on into creating their own platform (i.e Live, G+, FB, etc). They have the resources to do it, but it'll take time.

I can't help but see that Apple is obviously planning a social platform within 1-2 years, Facebook is probably worried and it would explain them finally jumping in bed with Apple. They have the loyal users, they have the numbers, and they have the resources. They're probably going to get a pump and dump like maps did.

Maps is going to be an uphill battle, they have about a decade's worth of data to catch up to. Google's pre emptive show was all about showing how deep their maps is. They have the money to dump into the fight though.

How does everyone feel about being tracked by Apple for anonymized datapoints now, is it ok now?

Maps is going to be an uphill battle, they have about a decade's worth of data to catch up to. Google's pre emptive show was all about showing how deep their maps is. They have the money to dump into the fight though.

How does everyone feel about being tracked by Apple for anonymized datapoints now, is it ok now?

The map data should be at least good. It's provided by TomTom. When you curl the page up to get to the map settings, it says "Data from TomTom, others".

Here's a screenshot (which I uploaded directly to imgur via mobile safari!)

0L2cq.jpg

I don't mind being tracked for that stuff as long as it's anonymized. But they were smart to broach the subject up front to ensure everybody that it would be anonymized.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Apple is going full on into creating their own platform (i.e Live, G+, FB, etc). They have the resources to do it, but it'll take time.

I can't help but see that Apple is obviously planning a social platform within 1-2 years, Facebook is probably worried and it would explain them finally jumping in bed with Apple. They have the loyal users, they have the numbers, and they have the resources. They're probably going to get a pump and dump like maps did.

As opposed to Google doing it in a non anonymized way?

Top Bottom