• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

JonnyBrad

Wow those side to sides show they have a LOT of work to do imo. Especially as there won't be streetview, which i use everytime i'm going somewhere new to find out what the outside of a place looks like.

The 3d stuff is great for showing on adverts and press conference's but for actually finding where you want to go its all about the 2d map.

Appleman

I just installed the beta on my iPad 2 an hour ago and it's been pretty neat.
The photostream sharing is pretty damn awesome, just create a photostream, add some friends and they get notified every time a new image gets added, allowing them to add comments and stuff.

My parents are going to love that feature, no joke.

I don't think this photostream sharing is working for me... What do I need to do this?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I don't think this photostream sharing is working for me... What do I need to do this?

First off, Photo Stream needs to be enabled and with photos in it. Then you pick photos from your regular Photo Stream and pick Share, pick "Photo Stream.." and it allows you to name a new stream and pick users to invite to subscribe to it and/or allow it to be publicly visible on your iCloud.com site (via a link you provide).

Mik2121

Wow those side to sides show they have a LOT of work to do imo. Especially as there won't be streetview, which i use everytime i'm going somewhere new to find out what the outside of a place looks like.

The 3d stuff is great for showing on adverts and press conference's but for actually finding where you want to go its all about the 2d map.

Yeah.. the 3D stuff will probably be fun if they get a bunch of exotic locations and whatnot and you can move the camera around.. but for moving around town, I'd rather have an accurate 2D map (it's not like I'm looking at where I am from the sky...) and something similar to StreetView, which I guess is gone and most likely won't be back, right?

I wonder if Apple would go and do their own streetview thing...

Patriots7

I don't think so. They're going to cancel Ping at some point, and that's going to wrap it up. They'll use Facebook and Twitter for social. Why waste unnecessary effort? Facebook isn't trying to screw them over like Google did. Besides, Facebook integration hurts Google+. Win-win.
Completely disagree.
You don't think that Facebook is trying to get into the smartphone business?
Facebook wants their users in a Facebook controlled world as much as Google and Apple do. The only difference is Facebook is a good bit behind the two.

What do you think is going to happen when Facebook modifies Android and creates a Facebook OS? Think Apple will be completely happy at that point?

Also, Apple is not going to buy Facebook. What absurd notion is that? Twitter/LinkedIn? Yeah that would be a drop in Apple's bucket. Facebook? The acquisition price would be enormous.

Apple occasionally gets up to no good, but at least they're open about it when they do, and their motives are clear, even if they put a spin on it.

Google just sits there behind their "Do No Evil" slogan, with a sly grin. You're never quite sure what they're up to, and when they do get caught, they just say "Oops".
Apple and Google do not care about your nor about infringing on your personal privacy to collect data for you. The entire reason Apple is trying to boot Google off iOS is because they see how much money Google gets from iOS and wants that ad revenue.

UeWzg.jpg

iOS 6

algzy.png

9cPgT.png

iOS6
ZYZtg.png

I prefer ios 6

Appleman

Just noticed a minor change. The "Load Earlier Messages" button at the top of conversations has slightly different behaviour, now it keeps you at the same spot in the conversation and adds earlier messages above

Enco

Exception would be if you have all your apps locally saved in iTunes vs downloading them again.
This is what worries me most.

I back up to iCloud as it's easier but I can imagine it'll be a huge pain re downloading around 20GB of data.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Exception would be if you have all your apps locally saved in iTunes vs downloading them again.

All of my apps are locally stored in iTunes. This restore is glacial.

I did a full restore from scratch via iCloud last weekend because I got a new 4S and it was so much quicker. I think it helps that when you're downloading from iCloud it downloads two things a time, while two others are installing. Through iTunes it's just one step at a time.

SuperPac

I prefer ios 6

I do too, actually. It's a lot cleaner, and there are details on Google's maps that I don't usually need to see.

It would be better if you could toggle some of those things on, though. Or if subway/train stations, bus stops, one-way streets, etc. appeared depending on what kind of directions you were looking for from one place to another.

One thing I don't so much like is showing traffic. The smaller dotted lines are a little bit hard to see/distinguish.

I feel like this might be the most stable beta Apple has released so far. I might even install it on my phone.

I've never been one to adhere to the "Only use this beta on TEST devices" statement. I don't have a dedicated phone for testing (who does?)

I've been bitten in the past with unstable builds but this one is very stable. The only pain in the ass is having to go through this process every two or three weeks all summer until its final release.

So I have a few basic questions that are really hard to find the answer to.

1. Now that I have seen the entire presentation I saw that maps are international but have they made a list of countries available to see with country is supported?

Sire has now international local search, so for every country that has IOS6 than or just for the supported languages countries?
Because now here in Holland, you can use siri in English, but if you want to look up a place or weather or anything that requires a "place" it says it does not support that.

2. So I want to know can I use siri local search in Holland with English voice now with IOS6.

3. And is it confirmed that turn by turn is usable outside of the USA?

4. Been confirmed yet that tomtom is the provider for turn by turn and also traffic updates?

Mik2121

So... is there a way for non iOS developers to actually get our hands on the beta? Even though I'm not sure about the maps, the whole thing looks so neat....

Blackhead

Redarse
I prefer ios 6

I do too, actually. It's a lot cleaner, and there are details on Google's Apple's ios 5 maps that I don't usually need to see.

It would be better if you could toggle some of those things on, though. Or if subway/train stations, bus stops, one-way streets, etc. appeared depending on what kind of directions you were looking for from one place to another.

One thing I don't so much like is showing traffic. The smaller dotted lines are a little bit hard to see/distinguish.
N2rei.png

NSP8C.png

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
All of my apps are locally stored in iTunes. This restore is glacial.

I did a full restore from scratch via iCloud last weekend because I got a new 4S and it was so much quicker. I think it helps that when you're downloading from iCloud it downloads two things a time, while two others are installing. Through iTunes it's just one step at a time.

Restored my 4S to iOS 6 yesterday via iTunes, had 700 files to copy over (around 100 apps, 550 photos, 50 videos) and it took around 40 minutes (guesstimate based on watching a 42min tv show ep while it did the restore). Some 30 gigabytes of data all in all. Not complaining about that speed.

Just installed iOS 6 on my iPhone, the new Maps app feels a lot better in use than it looks in pictures although it's a really big bummer that directions don't include public transportation or walking as far as I can tell. I also don't like that you can't skip to different steps when you get directions.

Siri answering sports questions is pretty cool although for some reason it showed a picture of Tony Allen when I asked it a question about Ray Allen.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Siri finally works properly in Canada. Good.

Is Passbook actually doing anything for anyone, or is it just a placeholder for now?

iNvid02

Posted for new page.

Anyone?

restaraunt info comes up ok - info is provided by yelp and works as it should

footy results come up fine too and you can choose which league - BUT YOU HAVE TO SAY SOCCER RESULTS
LLShC.gif

maps and turn by turn works ok, but there is no fly over like the US - just standard 3D view of the map

cant get any cinema listings though, it just shows what cinemas are close by

kehs

Banned
So I saw Action Sheets API being celebrated a couple of times, I'm curious to what they are, can someone explain them a little bit.

I feel like this might be the most stable beta Apple has released so far. I might even install it on my phone.
Tons of apps have issues (Instapaper, Reeder are 2 examples). I don't get where this "stable" thing is coming from cause it's far from it (edit: well the OS itself is pretty stable, third-party apps are not). I guess for a first beta it is. I would never actually use this for day-to-day stuff.

Enco

restaraunt info comes up ok - info is provided by yelp and works as it should

footy results come up fine too and you can choose which league - BUT YOU HAVE TO SAY SOCCER RESULTS
LLShC.gif
Thanks.

Does it tell you where the closest restaurants are and cinema times?

Can you ask "when can I watch Prometheus" and get show times from your local cinema(s)?

Maps in iOS 6 will require A5 processor for 3D "flyover," navigation

Mean iPod Touch will finally be dual core. :D

iOS 6 promises to bring lots of new features to iPhone and iPad users—more than 200, according to Apple's count. And the software will run on several generations of past hardware, including the original iPad and the iPhone 3GS. But many of the new features won't work on every device; for instance, the impressive 3D Flyover view and turn-by-turn navigation in Maps will only work with A5-powered devices. That means those features will only work on the iPhone 4S, iPad 2, and iPad 3, but not the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS. And iPhone 3GS users will miss out on even more from iOS 6, including Siri, FaceTime over 3G, and VIP Mail lists.

Apple has posted an extensive preview of iOS on its website, detailing many of the features highlighted during its keynote presentation at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday. Tucked in at the bottom of the page, among the usual fine print, is the warning that "[n]ot all features are available on all devices."

This is nothing new; successive generations of iPhone hardware have faster processors, more capable GPUs, and sometimes other functions like hardware-based encryption. For instance, Siri has so far been limited to the iPhone 4S, though Apple will bring its AI-based "virtual assistant" to the latest-generation iPad when iOS 6 ships this fall.

The iPhone 4 won't be gaining Siri either, but the iPhone 3GS will miss out on that and many more of iOS 6's prominent features. That includes using FaceTime over cellular connections—there's no front-facing camera—but it also includes software-based features like Shared Photo Streams, VIP list and VIP and Flagged mailboxes in Mail, Offline Reading List.

Apple still sells the iPhone 3GS as new (in addition to the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S), so it's only right that the company continue to support them with iOS updates. It's not clear why some of the listed features were cut from the 3GS, as many don't appear to be particularly processor-intensive. It's also likely that other features may turn up missing once iOS 6 ships later this year.

I really don't like the status bar being blue in certain apps, it looks like someone pressed select all on a computer and it's driving me nuts.

So I saw Action Sheets API being celebrated a couple of times, I'm curious to what they are, can someone explain them a little bit.

When you used to hit a button on the bottom it would give you a list of 3, 4, 5, or 6 buttons (i.e. Message, Email, Tweet, Share, etc.)

actionSheet.png

Now, they are icons like you are looking in a folder that can scroll

iNvid02

Thanks.

Can you ask "when can I watch Prometheus" and get show times from your local cinema(s)?

yeah it lists what cinemas are close by

but for showtime info it says "i cant get showtime info for xx" - the xx being the street i live on

Tobor

I'm not worried about the default map detail, I want someone to test the business search. Like search for "pizza" or something using iOS 5 and 6.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Thanks.

No, it doesn't work for me.

It's weird, it knows my location as close as 10 house numbers... but doesn't seem to want to find my local cinema, then find showtimes.

It will find the local cinema if I ask just for that, though. Very bizarre.

Top Bottom