• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

kehs

Banned
As opposed to Google doing it in a non anonymized way?

That's what I'm getting at, seeing posts complaining about Google gobbling up data in that manner, yet I see nothing here, even after it was a huge bullet point in the presentation.

Phoenix

It's not just about Paypass/NFC, though--I've had the same experience with NFC readers not working immediately (I fall back to swiping after a few tries). There's Bump. There's Paypal on my phone. There's also no reason why the retailer can't enter your card number manually (the same way some do if the card won't swipe properly). I can't tell you what the backup routine is, but someone should be able to figure it out. I don't carry cash anymore and haven't for probably 6 or 7 years now. Now it's time for me to not carry plastic anymore.

It's 2012--of all the billions of dollars in the credit industry, and all the billions of dollars in the payment processing industry, and all the billions of dollars in the mobile industry, and the hundreds of millions of smartphones out there, how the hell hasn't this been solved?

The problem is more educating the consumer on what they should be doing. A lot of the problem came from Visa Wave because they thought it would be cool and unthreatening for the consumer to make the wave gesture. Unfortunately waving and swiping gestures aren't how NFC works.

With NFC (in a phone) your phone is the initiator of the signal and the payment system (which may be passive/unpowered) needs to do a handshake. While you're waving around you're going in and outside of the NFC field. The NFC field is only 10cm in size so most of the time you're just breaking the signal over and over again. The appropriate way to use it is to place it on the transceiver and let it sit there for a second.

In the case of your credit card, it is an unpowered RFID/NFC target and the payment system needs to power it (over the RF signal generated from the transceiver in the payment system), decrypt it, and pull its data. This may take a couple of seconds, but because people keep waving the card it keeps going from "Hello I'm abo-.... Hello-.....Hello I'm about to tell you-... etc.".

Its a consumer education problem, not a technology problem. Fortunately with phones the education is much simpler. Put your phone here until you hear it make a noise and then the magic happens.

Trust me, it will get better... wait about a week ;)

Phoenix

I don't really know much about iAd.

What about it isn't working? What did they want from it?

The wanted a large marquee advertising mechanism from the big boys and they would build and sell luxury advertising to big players. The problem is that they wanted ludicrous - absolutely ludicrous amounts of money to do it AND they wanted to create all the campaigns themselves to ensure quality. The advertising model doesn't work that way so it all fell apart because they wanted to control the user experience and that's normally what the advertising agencies do themselves. Its a case of the "Apple way" not working in the real world.

Enco

The wanted a large marquee advertising mechanism from the big boys and they would build and sell luxury advertising to big players. The problem is that they wanted ludicrous - absolutely ludicrous amounts of money to do it AND they wanted to create all the campaigns themselves to ensure quality. The advertising model doesn't work that way so it all fell apart because they wanted to control the user experience and that's normally what the advertising agencies do themselves. Its a case of the "Apple way" not working in the real world.
Ah right thanks.

Good news for consumers at least.

Tobor

Apple is going full on into creating their own platform (i.e Live, G+, FB, etc). They have the resources to do it, but it'll take time.

I can't help but see that Apple is obviously planning a social platform within 1-2 years, Facebook is probably worried and it would explain them finally jumping in bed with Apple. They have the loyal users, they have the numbers, and they have the resources. They're probably going to get a pump and dump like maps did.

Maps is going to be an uphill battle, they have about a decade's worth of data to catch up to. Google's pre emptive show was all about showing how deep their maps is. They have the money to dump into the fight though.

How does everyone feel about being tracked by Apple for anonymized datapoints now, is it ok now?

I don't think so. They're going to cancel Ping at some point, and that's going to wrap it up. They'll use Facebook and Twitter for social. Why waste unnecessary effort? Facebook isn't trying to screw them over like Google did. Besides, Facebook integration hurts Google+. Win-win.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
iOS6 seems to have screwed me up pretty badly. 3G data won't activate anymore, only Edge, and there's no option to activate or deactivate 3G specifically anymore. I think I had cellular data completely disabled while I was installing ioS6, and it probably picked up that 3G was off, and since there's no option to turn it on anymore, the system is stuck there.

SuperPac

Its a consumer education problem, not a technology problem. Fortunately with phones the education is much simpler. Put your phone here until you hear it make a noise and then the magic happens.

To me this is something like Passbook functions on the lock screen would be really compelling. Hold it up to NFC payment thing - confirm payment on lock screen. Done. I would love that.

I trust Apple. I don't trust Google. Simple as that.

Same here. I use to be a big fan of Google, but some of their moves in recent years have turned me off to them somewhat. I still think they have some good ideas/products, but they're more hit and miss and their "do no evil" rule doesn't seem to apply quite as fully as it once did.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
iOS6 seems to have screwed me up pretty badly. 3G data won't activate anymore, only Edge, and there's no option to activate or deactivate 3G specifically anymore. I think I had cellular data completely disabled while I was installing ioS6, and it probably picked up that 3G was off, and since there's no option to turn it on anymore, the system is stuck there.

It's almost as if it's the first beta of a developer preview.

Phoenix

I don't think so. They're going to cancel Ping at some point, and that's going to wrap it up. They'll use Facebook and Twitter for social. Why waste unnecessary effort? Facebook isn't trying to screw them over like Google did. Besides, Facebook integration hurts Google+. Win-win.

Indeed. Apple is more likely to buy Facebook than they are to try to roll their own at this point. Network effects dictate that Apple is better served by someone that already has a standing network. They want to reach outside their walls to non-iOS folks as well so they are better off with Twitter and Facebook not trying to block them because they feel threatened.

Besides, social is not their thing. Stick to your core competency and buy/partner with someone whose core it is to do those other things. You don't have to build it ALL yourself.

I have been having minimal bugs on iOS6.

3D Maps don't seem to be working.

When I type it doesn't register sounds for every keystroke. Can throw you off.

Other than that pretty solid.

I trust Apple. I don't trust Google. Simple as that.

Apple occasionally gets up to no good, but at least they're open about it when they do, and their motives are clear, even if they put a spin on it.

Google just sits there behind their "Do No Evil" slogan, with a sly grin. You're never quite sure what they're up to, and when they do get caught, they just say "Oops".

I'm struggling to find anything exciting in the new iOS. Though I haven't looked at the 'other 200 features' yet. Maybe there will be something in there.

Lucius86

Banned
Any news if iOS6 will fix their proxy authentication bug? It is ruining iOS device usage for infrastructures without a transparent proxy setting...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is more educating the consumer on what they should be doing. A lot of the problem came from Visa Wave because they thought it would be cool and unthreatening for the consumer to make the wave gesture. Unfortunately waving and swiping gestures aren't how NFC works.

With NFC (in a phone) your phone is the initiator of the signal and the payment system (which may be passive/unpowered) needs to do a handshake. While you're waving around you're going in and outside of the NFC field. The NFC field is only 10cm in size so most of the time you're just breaking the signal over and over again. The appropriate way to use it is to place it on the transceiver and let it sit there for a second.

In the case of your credit card, it is an unpowered RFID/NFC target and the payment system needs to power it (over the RF signal generated from the transceiver in the payment system), decrypt it, and pull its data. This may take a couple of seconds, but because people keep waving the card it keeps going from "Hello I'm abo-.... Hello-.....Hello I'm about to tell you-... etc.".

Trust me, it will get better... wait about a week ;)

I'm not sure what this is in response to. But, I can assure you the reason we are not using RFID/NFC is not because of a consumer education problem. Banks do not want to pay the cost that will incure with all those transaction. The credit companies do not want to loose interest they get from non secure transactions. Ironically, all they would be replacing is the debit card in your wallet. You can thank lobbiest for spreading the fear.

kaskade

It would be nice if with the find my iPhone thing there was some way to make it so that when you put the 4 digit code up with the message the person can't shut off the phone. That way it's always trackable

Mik2121

Anyone with the iOS6, could you go to the Maps app and search for: Hakata, Fukuoka-shi, Japan (or whatever is closer to those terms) and post a screenshot?

I've seen a bunch of maps of the UK, US, etc.. but I wonder how is Japan looking (and not Tokyo, but Fukuoka which is where I live..).

Thanks in advance!!

I'm struggling to find anything exciting in the new iOS. Though I haven't looked at the 'other 200 features' yet. Maybe there will be something in there.

We're starting to hit a point of diminishing returns on iOS updates. The leaps made between versions have been pretty big up until the leap from iOS5 to iOS6. I installed it last night and it feels like I have the same phone as I did the day before. I haven't felt that way about any of the previous updates. They all brought something huge to the table, but iOS6 is really just rounding things out and streamlining things to perfection. There isn't one big huge new feature (like notifications in iOS5) that smacks you in the face in iOS6.

The biggest "new" feature in iOS6 is Maps, and that's an update of an old app. It's not 100% "new", it's just redesigned from the ground up. It may be better than the old Maps (or not), but at the end of the day it's a better way of doing something the OS already did, not an entirely new thing the OS can do.

So podcasts are gone from iTunes, on iPhone at least - is it the same on the iPad? Wondering if that means anything or if they just haven't gotten to them.

SuperPac

We're starting to hit a point of diminishing returns on iOS updates. The leaps made between versions have been pretty big up until the leap from iOS5 to iOS6. I installed it last night and it feels like I have the same phone as I did the day before. I haven't felt that way about any of the previous updates. They all brought something huge to the table, but iOS6 is really just rounding things out and streamlining things to perfection. There isn't one big huge new feature (like notifications in iOS5) that smacks you in the face in iOS6.

I agree, though there are a couple features that I already love - Do Not Disturb and the VIP inbox. Not that I couldn't go back to iOS 5 if I had to, but they are nice conveniences.

That makes more sense. Maybe they'll finally handle subscriptions?

How are you guys not using Instacast or Downcast (which is broken on iOS6 beta 1, but was great on iOS 5)? Once I started using those other podcast catcher apps I barely go into Music at all.

Enco

The biggest "new" feature in iOS6 is Maps, and that's an update of an old app. It's not 100% "new", it's just redesigned from the ground up. It may be better than the old Maps (or not), but at the end of the day it's a better way of doing something the OS already did, not an entirely new thing the OS can do.
There's nothing game changing in the update but it has brought lots of new features and fixed that make iOS much much more refined.

For example, downloading things from the app store is no longer tedious as it doesn't kick you out. Small things like that really make things nicer.

Blackhead

Redarse
ziBwD.png

?!

Appleman

It would be nice if with the find my iPhone thing there was some way to make it so that when you put the 4 digit code up with the message the person can't shut off the phone. That way it's always trackable

Yeah, I've always thought that if Passcode lock was enabled, you should have to unlock the phone to shut it down... I even looked for a jailbreak solution to do that a while back but apprently nobody has done it yet.

Anyone with the iOS6, could you go to the Maps app and search for: Hakata, Fukuoka-shi, Japan (or whatever is closer to those terms) and post a screenshot?

I've seen a bunch of maps of the UK, US, etc.. but I wonder how is Japan looking (and not Tokyo, but Fukuoka which is where I live..).

Thanks in advance!!

Here, I hope this is what you're looking for:

Enco

So do the Siri features work fully in the UK? Movie times, restaurant info and general directions?

edit: also, what countries have 3D? Or is it disabled in the beta?

kehs

Banned

They're already laying the groundwork. Between iOS messaging/facetime/camera roll comments they're heading there. I do really like their osx/ios notification merging.

Those data centers apple has been building aren't just for picture swapping. They're doing a very good job of creating a proper platform. Social is a big part of staying afloat for any company, purely for the data points they provide for further advancement of software.

SuperPac

The beta for Find My iPhone has an option for devices that are currently turned off or offline to notify you when they go online again. Also allows you to remotely lock devices with a 4-digit passcode (maybe even if you didn't have one set originally?) and allows you to pass a phone number to the lost device so a "good Samaritan" (yeah right) can place a call to you on it to arrange a pickup. That plus the "Lost mode" where a lost device can tell you all the locations it's been to - Find My iPhone is becoming pretty powerful.

Yeah, I've always thought that if Passcode lock was enabled, you should have to unlock the phone to shut it down... I even looked for a jailbreak solution to do that a while back but apprently nobody has done it yet.

That would be a terrible user experience. Already shutting down is a 2-step process - you think it should be 3?

Mik2121

Here, I hope this is what you're looking for:

Yep. That's what I was asking for. The pin on the second pic is almost in front of my house :p

Anyway... that's... incredibly bare. Like, really, there's no info there. At least I hope they add all the convenience stores around (which I check a lot), area names, etc... :/

(this is how it looks in the current map:

IdZVe.png

yCzJt.png

Such a difference...

Appleman

The beta for Find My iPhone has an option for devices that are currently turned off or offline to notify you when they go online again. Also allows you to remotely lock devices with a 4-digit passcode (maybe even if you didn't have one set originally?) and allows you to pass a phone number to the lost device so a "good Samaritan" (yeah right) can place a call to you on it to arrange a pickup. That plus the "Lost mode" where a lost device can tell you all the locations it's been to - Find My iPhone is becoming pretty powerful.

Yeah, but all a thief would have to do to is still power it down and all is lost.

That would be a terrible user experience. Already shutting down is a 2-step process - you think it should be 3?

In the case that passcode lock is enabled and find my iPhone is turned on? Absolutely. The number of times I fully power down my phone in a MONTH is already few enough that typing four digits to power down my phone (which people with passcode lock enabled do every time they want to use their phone anyways) is not unreasonable.

I agree, though there are a couple features that I already love - Do Not Disturb and the VIP inbox. Not that I couldn't go back to iOS 5 if I had to, but they are nice conveniences.

Yeah, DND is a brilliant feature. I take awhile to fall asleep and it drives me nuts when I am about 2 minutes away from dreamland and my phone buzzes and the screen lights up. I have started turning the over over on my nightstand to at least avoid the light. But DND solves this problem entirely. I set it up right away, and slept great last night. VIP Inbox could be cool, but I don't really have anybody in my contact list that I could classify as that. Nobody is so important that I need to know every time I get an email from them.

How are you guys not using Instacast or Downcast (which is broken on iOS6 beta 1, but was great on iOS 5)? Once I started using those other podcast catcher apps I barely go into Music at all.

I use Instacast. I can't go back either. Podcast management in iOS was an absolute nightmare. Now that I've had Instacast 2.x for awhile, I've warmed up to it a lot. It's pretty slick once you re-wire your brain to understand the totally changed workflow from 1.x. If you keep trying to use it like 1.x, you will hate it.

Tobor

Haha, I just never got around to it. I just bought Downcast. Not bad!

Phoenix

I'm not sure what this is in response to. But, I can assure you the reason we are not using RFID/NFC is not because of a consumer education problem. Banks do not want to pay the cost that will incure with all those transaction. The credit companies do not want to loose interest they get from non secure transactions. Ironically, all they would be replacing is the debit card in your wallet. You can thank lobbiest for spreading the fear.

First off, RFID/NFC is not just about payments, although that's what I'll discuss here. That's what everyone thinks of first, but it is absolutely not just about payments.

The fight to which you refer is one that I'm keenly interested in and aware of. The whole model for who provisions the secure element and such is a bit too off-topic to go into here, but yeah the banks got screwed in the deal. Unfortunately, there isn't anything preventing the carriers from acting like banks so all that will happen is that there would be no debit card in your wallet. Your transaction would either be billed to your cell phone bill or they would use Authorize.net or similar to go around the banks and their issues. The banks are so far down in the chain that they are in effect easily replaced in the commerce process.

If the banks thought losing ATM fees was a big deal, they might as well go and jump off buildings because the new technology chain is such that they are no longer even relevant to the commerce process. ALL they do is provide a place for me to store my money... and heaven help them as more people have the ability to store that electronically.

Mik2121

Yeah.. no building names (used a lot here in Japan at least), no subway signs, most street names missing...

I really hope they flesh all this out during the next months before it officially releases, otherwise people will just stop using the map app and simply check the Google app whenever they release it...

Hoo-doo

Banned
I just installed the beta on my iPad 2 an hour ago and it's been pretty neat.
The photostream sharing is pretty damn awesome, just create a photostream, add some friends and they get notified every time a new image gets added, allowing them to add comments and stuff.

My parents are going to love that feature, no joke.

Phoenix

You kinda have to do that on certain currently unreleased 4.0x Android devices already. If the phone is locked you can't shut it down until you unlock. I'm hoping that is a defect though.

Top Bottom