• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

This is post update, my Internet is 50mb down and 2.5mb up. Not good.

iPhone5
image.jpg

Laptop
2280348702.png

jcm

This is post update, my Internet is 50mb down and 2.5mb up. Not good.

iPhone5
[imgx]http://s7.postimage.org/bbokq804b/image.jpg[/img]

Laptop
[IMGx]http://www.speedtest.net/result/2280348702.png[/IMG]

That's awful. I just got 20/15 over wifi. What kind of router do you have?

It's beautiful.

Downloaded the update earlier today but decided to try it after reading these posts.

Siri is a joke because it's so slow.

As tempting as Google Now is, I can't switch. I've spent far too much on iOS apps and am far too invested with things like iTunes Match, iMessage and Facetime. I just hope Apple can drastically up their game. Maps, constant Match outages and a slow Siri are annoying.

Edit: actually, I wouldn't even consider switching until Google completely overhaul their ugly as hell UI. Google Now is amazing but the Android UI is downright awful in my opinion. So messy and non uniform

No no

When did you look and Android last? 4.2 is beautiful and totally reformed and unified. It's matching iOS now IMO. As apple fans we can sit here and pretend iOS is still uniform. From using the AppStore with is beautiful design, to jumping to iTunes Player with its hot design, and then still seeing those god awful stripes in menus, etc.

Stock Android is more uniform than iOS right now. And it has no paper shredder!

Also, I'm thinking of making the switch to Android for now until I've works his magic. Also I have an iPad, so I can still enjoy the iOS releases and the OS

Haha.

No.

Not even close. Today, months after launch, Apple finally seems to have got the last of the London underground stations on their maps.

The most obvious piece of data in London has taken this long to get right. The vast majority of POI data is still completely wrong. I suspect nobody, in the entire world, not even the people who coded the damn thing, understand the principles by which things disappear and reappear given the zoom level.

It is fundamentally broken, not "fine".

It's still garbage. I reside in Luton. The place with a fucking international airport, and we still have no satellite view! Terrible. But that's just one example

I seriously considered switching but honestly there is no perfect phone for me, I would have to deal with my own annoyances using an Android or a WP8 device, the iPhone 5 is probably the 'least' annoying to me right now, and I'm hoping there are a lot of improvements ahead.

I know I feel the same. I ordered a Galaxy Nexus a few months ago, but then cancelled me order

But now I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of going down the Nexus 4 route.

Agreed.

Android has Google Now but an awful UI.

iOS has great simple design and brilliant app store but crappy voice/slow updates.

W8 has a nice design but an awful app store in comparison to the other two.

Again the UI is not what you think it is. Go to YouTube and search reviews for 4.1 and see how beautiful the UI is now. It's on par/trouncing iOS.

My problem with iOS is they the features they bring out, arent as..how can I say...clever as Androids. Since iOS came out I can't really think of one feature that made me WOW like some parts of Android did

Make these feelings STOP!

lexi

Banned
I know I feel the same. I ordered a Galaxy Nexus a few months ago, but then cancelled me order

Another thing that seems to keep me on board with Apple is their peerless hardware design. This was the original reason I bought an iPod because other MP3 players were hideously designed with shitty plastics and such.

GS3 feels awful to hold in my hand, and I don't know of any other phone that can even come close to the 'fit and finish' of the iPhone.

Enco

Again the UI is not what you think it is. Go to YouTube and search reviews for 4.1 and see how beautiful the UI is now. It's on par/trouncing iOS. !
I had a look just in case I missed something and nope.

The menu screens and app folders still have the really ugly an boring black background. The system buttons are all very average and unsightly. At least iOS uses color and texture.

Ashhong

No no

When did you look and Android last? 4.2 is beautiful and totally reformed and unified. It's matching iOS now IMO. As apple fans we can sit here and pretend iOS is still uniform. From using the AppStore with is beautiful design, to jumping to iTunes Player with its hot design, and then still seeing those god awful stripes in menus, etc.

Make these feelings STOP!

I'm having a hard time finding what is so beautiful about 4.1+. I have it right in front of me and think it's whatever. It's clean I guess, and simple, but I would never call it beautiful. I think the black background has a lot to do with it. Apple's UI looks much cleaner in comparison. At least IMO.

Nicktendo86

The menu screens and app folders still have the really ugly an boring black background. The system buttons are all very average and unsightly. At least iOS uses color and texture.

Well it may be a matter of taste but i think stock jelly bean destroys iOS in terms of look and features. I'm not really sure what you mean about colour and texture? I've got an iPod touch and ios looks like a bland mess to me.

I'm having a hard time finding what is so beautiful about 4.1+. I have it right in front of me and think it's whatever. It's clean I guess, and simple, but I would never call it beautiful. I think the black background has a lot to do with it. Apple's UI looks much cleaner in comparison. At least IMO.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

I like the cleanliness of Android. I like iOS too, some elements like the AppStore are unmatched. No one has design like that, but then other parts of the OS just look like poop

Tobor

Exactly. Windows 8 sucks as well. All solid color boring ass tiles.

I'm not familiar with that modem, but did you see this thread? Maybe some kind of conflict with Apple's networking stack and the modem's firewall? Honestly, I'm not sure I buy their explanation, but it might be worth a try anyway.
Yea, I just read that. All my firewalls on the modem have been disabled. Every now and then I'll run a speed test on my phone and I'll get like 10-15mb down. So, who knows. I'll just live with it for now. Same goes with my work internet. I'll get the random fast speed, then normally slow download. So I think its just software related perhaps.

jcm

Exactly. Windows 8 sucks as well. All solid color boring ass tiles.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I think Win 8 is gorgeous. It's very modern looking, very functional, and an actual rethinking of UI, rather than just ripping off apple. I think MS deserves a lot of credit for it.

First, we're discussing design, not functionality.

Second, wow. Let me rush out and buy a Windows phone for that amazing feature. /sarcasm

It's not a hardware selling feature, but it's a nice feature, and one that's long overdue for ios.

noah111

Still Alive
Man, I couldn't disagree more. I think Win 8 is gorgeous. It's very modern looking, very functional, and an actual rethinking of UI, rather than just ripping off apple. I think MS deserves a lot of credit for it.
So do I, but that doesn't change the fact that I would never use that UI on any sort of primary media/entertainment consumption device.

It's not a hardware selling feature, but it's a nice feature, and one that's long overdue for ios.
It's literally a swipe away from anywhere you are (NC). There's a lot more important things to be complaining about or lacking features that are needed in iOS than a live weather app icon.

jcm

It's literally a swipe away from anywhere you are (NC). There's a lot more important things to be complaining about or lacking features that are needed in iOS than a live weather app icon.

I don't understand this attitude at all. It's not like the entire company needs to come to a screeching halt to figure out how to make a live updatable weather icon. Yesterday you were excited about the playback controls on the lock screen being moved slightly. You've spent lots of time discussing the placement of the album art on the lock screen. But with this one, it's "lets focus on what really matters". Little things matter to some of us, different little things matter to different people, and of all people you ought to understand that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I don't understand this attitude at all. It's not like the entire company needs to come to a screeching halt to figure out how to make a live updatable weather icon. Yesterday you were excited about the playback controls on the lock screen being moved slightly. You've spent lots of time discussing the placement of the album art on the lock screen. But with this one, it's "lets focus on what really matters". Little things matter to some of us, different little things matter to different people, and of all people you ought to understand that.

Just to give my own personal two cents, I think the value of general-purpose live tiles or widgets is supremely overrated. There are a limited number of cases where the value is immediately apparent: Weather, calendars, communications (email, texts, whatever), headlines.

Beyond that, though, I think it starts getting a little overwhelming. I don't really feel the photo collages in the People app on WP7/W8 add a lot. I think some stuff, like games, are just an unmitigated disaster. No I don't need my high score flashing. And it's really really terrible to watch a big grid of Live Tiles all wobble back and forth, like watching all the flashing ads in Times Square or news stations with multiple tickers scrolling at separate speeds. It's visual clutter.

I recognize that there's a tweaking element that a lot of people enjoy, but I personally prefer a strong design vision. That's not to say I don't want any flexibility. I don't care about the weather and I'm glad I can remove it from Notification Center. But I don't necessarily think that full visual customization works to enhance a product. I think most services and products with full skinning systems allow a subset of users to indulge themselves in a way that actually makes them ugly and less usable. Twitter and Facebook versus MySpace, for example.

Going forward I think Apple needs to do better with Notifications, and I think it'd be nice if they could convey more with the home screen and lock screen. But I don't think I'd like a move to Live Tiles or widgets.

LCfiner

I've said for the past 2 iOS revisions that they could increase the amount of flexibility for icons to change. I don't want animated icons but I think they could allow certain static elements to change. have the ability to place text or a custom image in a spot or two to display new info.

maybe in iOS 7, they'll finally give it a shot! I'll keep asking for it (all I want this for is for weather and reeder otherwise I don't really care.)

Tobor

I've said for the past 2 iOS revisions that they could increase the amount of flexibility for icons to change. I don't want animated icons but I think they could allow certain static elements to change. have the ability to place text or a custom image in a spot or two to display new info.

maybe in iOS 7, they'll finally give it a shot! I'll keep asking for it (all I want this for is for weather and reeder otherwise I don't really care.)

What would you get out of text within the icon in Reeder? It's too small to put even one headline.

btkadams

it seems like the logical route would be to allow live tiles and let you disable/enable each app's live tile in the settings.

is hardware power a concern for having all of those live tiles though? i have no idea about this sort of thing.

noah111

Still Alive
Sorry if I came across that way, it wasn't my point. My point was more to the effect of how silly it is to compare Metro's superiority or iOS's inferiority to live tiles or specifically the lack of a live weather icon on iOS. I have expressed it before (in this thread, iirc) how it's sort of odd that they update the calendar.app icon yet it can't be done for the weathers app. Sort of a visual nuisance to me personally (83, lol), but I shove that icon in a folder anyway which is why I don't really find it necessary. So again, if we're going to be knocking iOS for things (visually, functionally, etc), especially if comparing to W8/Metro, there's probably a lack of more 'important' things you can point to when putting the two side-by-side.

Do you consider iOS exciting?
Visually? Undoubtedly so. There are some really beautiful apps that just wouldn't be possible, nor look right, on the Surface or Metro in general. The actual OS is more appealing as well in that regard, imo.

LCfiner

What would you get out of text within the icon in Reeder? It's too small to put even one headline.

I'd like for it to work like the Mac app where the icon shows an empty bin or a bin with papers. plus the number of unread articles are written in the box using a more subtle text color instead of using an uglier red badge.

but since the iOS icon is just a star, the comparison doesn't really work with the current layout. they'd need to redo the icon to make it work.

noah111

Still Alive
With everyone talking about iOS needing 'big change', I can't help but think about the animations and how altering such a minor thing like that can change the entire feel. It's one of the OS elements that haven't changed from birth.. Switching to an app via the switcher is still pretty bad for example; that card animation doesn't accomplish anything other than make you feel like the other app you were just using got sunken into an abyss. It makes me feel like it would be hard to access it again, actually.

The open/close animations could be rethought, I think.. They are exactly the same as they were when we didn't have any form of multitasking. I wouldn't mind the app shrinking down to the bottom middle (home button) rather than the center, for example, which would give you a sense of 'where it went' or where it can be accessed again.

It's even worse on the iPad with the ability to switch from app to app without the switcher (multitouch) but I digress.

I'd like for it to work like the Mac app where the icon shows an empty bin or a bin with papers. plus the number of unread articles are written in the box using a more subtle text color instead of using an uglier red badge.

but since the iOS icon is just a star, the comparison doesn't really work with the current layout. they'd need to redo the icon to make it work.
Speaking of the red badge, I wish there was an alternate style that devs could use as well. Not every app wants to show you 'ALERET'-class information. A missed call or text warrants that, but something like new articles, word of the day, an app update, or it being your turn in a game, doesn't warrant that obtrusive "LOOK LOOK I'M RED" style, imo.

Still don't think leaving it up to each developer to implement on their already cluttered icons is the right way to go, though. Would lead to too many deviations and weird live icon implementations, I think.

I would say it's more appealing.

iOS is definitely "more appealing" than Metro, no doubt about it. But it's the last thing I want to see on my iPad and probably the most boring tablet experience I've witnessed.

You have all these amazing apps like Flipboard, Reeder, Paper or Pocket and they look nothing like iOS. Think about it.

I'm not a fan of Metro in Windows 8 and I don't like how they used it, but "boring" is the last word I'd use to describe it. I think the use of gestures and animations is really good and combined with some neat features like snapping or the sharing API, it makes the best tablet OS, imo. Shame about the horrible 16:9 form factor and the lack of quality apps.

Some people know that I love my iPad and I'd never trade it for an Android or Windows tablet. My 4th gen model will arrive next week and I'm mildly excited about it. But compared to Windows 8, iOS looks like Windows Mobile.

jcm

Sorry if I came across that way, it wasn't my point. My point was more to the effect of how silly it is to compare Metro's superiority or iOS's inferiority to live tiles or specifically the lack of a live weather icon on iOS. I have expressed it before (in this thread, iirc) how it's sort of odd that they update the calendar.app icon yet it can't be done for the weathers app. Sort of a visual nuisance to me personally (83, lol), but I shove that icon in a folder anyway which is why I don't really find it necessary. So again, if we're going to be knocking iOS for things (visually, functionally, etc), especially if comparing to W8/Metro, there's probably a lack of more 'important' things you can point to when putting the two side-by-side.

That seems perfectly reasonable and I hope you don't feel like I was picking on your on anything. It's just that I know you're a detail oriented person who does care about the little things.

I've been thinking about why I have such a fixation on this, and I've come to the conclusion that it's more than just the utility for me. I would like to know, at a glance, what the temp is and if it will rain. The trouble is, not only does ios not tell me that information, but they use an icon that looks like it is telling me that, but it's wrong. They didn't use a generic weather icon, which I suppose the sun alone could be (it wouldn't be my choice though). By adding a temperature to it, it gives the appearance of actually telling me the weather, rather than "click me to find out the weather".

Once upon a time, iCal on the Mac showed a static date, and I found that infuriating, too. It was the same kind of deal.

noah111

Still Alive
^It was a really generic icon at the time, but now that things are more dynamic it does seem out of place. Spacking of which, generic iOS icons in general are starting to look ugly. Especially the phone/sms;

Look at the feedly icon as a reference. Some of the stock icons are a bit unnecessarily cluttered, which is really apparent when you're using a wallpaper that is also active (unlike mine above). Most of them were made when you couldn't even change the wallpaper background anyway (OS 1), so at least the clutter was mitigated by that fact.

iOS has slowly been moving away from the gloss anyway, especially in iOS 6 (settings icon, menu/nav bar, pop up list bubbles etc). But even before that, we saw it with the calculator app when they changed it, or game center, or trailers, etc. They should probably ditch the excessive gloss at this point, I think.. a subtle glow/gradient like the feedly icon is far more pleasing imo.

Blackhead

Redarse
Just to give my own personal two cents, I think the value of general-purpose live tiles or widgets is supremely overrated. There are a limited number of cases where the value is immediately apparent: Weather, calendars, communications (email, texts, whatever), headlines.

Beyond that, though, I think it starts getting a little overwhelming. I don't really feel the photo collages in the People app on WP7/W8 add a lot. I think some stuff, like games, are just an unmitigated disaster. No I don't need my high score flashing. And it's really really terrible to watch a big grid of Live Tiles all wobble back and forth, like watching all the flashing ads in Times Square or news stations with multiple tickers scrolling at separate speeds. It's visual clutter.

I recognize that there's a tweaking element that a lot of people enjoy, but I personally prefer a strong design vision. That's not to say I don't want any flexibility. I don't care about the weather and I'm glad I can remove it from Notification Center. But I don't necessarily think that full visual customization works to enhance a product. I think most services and products with full skinning systems allow a subset of users to indulge themselves in a way that actually makes them ugly and less usable. Twitter and Facebook versus MySpace, for example.

Going forward I think Apple needs to do better with Notifications, and I think it'd be nice if they could convey more with the home screen and lock screen. But I don't think I'd like a move to Live Tiles or widgets.
I'd like to properly respond to this post but first I'd like to know what you mean by "strong design vision", if you don't mind, particularly in regards to how the iPhone's homescreen/lockscreen/notification center represents a stronger design vision than WP's live tiles/lockscreen/notifications or Android's widgets/lockscreen/notification center

*sharpening knives*

Edit:
Anyone know of an app similar to TV Show Favs for iOS? I think this is the first app I've found on my Nexus 7 where I haven't had an alternative to use on iOS.
Hmm, not sure.

iTV maybe?
TV Forecast?

noah111

Still Alive
I'd like to properly respond to this post but first I'd like to know what you mean by "strong design vision", if you don't mind, particularly in regards to how the iPhone's homescreen/lockscreen/notification center represents a stronger design vision than WP's live tiles/lockscreen/notifications or Android's widgets/lockscreen/notification center
Oh I don't know, perhaps by actually using textures, gradients, shadows etc to depict bevels, ridges, bulges, knobs, declivity, and so on?

Blackhead

Redarse
Oh I don't know, perhaps by actually using textures, gradients, shadows etc to depict bevels, ridges, bulges, knobs, declivity, and so on?
... by that logic norman rockwell represents a 'stronger design vision' than picasso in his cubist period.

Thanks for the reply but I purposely wasn't responding to your posts as I consider you a lost cause ;P. I know Stumpokapow owns devices for all mobile systems though so I'm curious to find out why his opinion is so off the mark... in my opinion anyway

mrkgoo

With everyone talking about iOS needing 'big change', I can't help but think about the animations and how altering such a minor thing like that can change the entire feel. It's one of the OS elements that haven't changed from birth.. Switching to an app via the switcher is still pretty bad for example; that card animation doesn't accomplish anything other than make you feel like the other app you were just using got sunken into an abyss. It makes me feel like it would be hard to access it again, actually.

The open/close animations could be rethought, I think.. They are exactly the same as they were when we didn't have any form of multitasking. I wouldn't mind the app shrinking down to the bottom middle (home button) rather than the center, for example, which would give you a sense of 'where it went' or where it can be accessed again.

It's even worse on the iPad with the ability to switch from app to app without the switcher (multitouch) but I digress.

Speaking of the red badge, I wish there was an alternate style that devs could use as well. Not every app wants to show you 'ALERET'-class information. A missed call or text warrants that, but something like new articles, word of the day, an app update, or it being your turn in a game, doesn't warrant that obtrusive "LOOK LOOK I'M RED" style, imo.

Still don't think leaving it up to each developer to implement on their already cluttered icons is the right way to go, though. Would lead to too many deviations and weird live icon implementations, I think.

I feel the multitasking should take a more 'card' approach akin to palm OS, or rather, like the pages in safari. At is, a double press shrinks back, and swipe to scroll through apps. Basically a bigger version of now, but instead of icons, have the last screen of the app.

I guess it could be a bit inconsistent if apps don't have a resume state though.

Mairu

*sharpening knives*

Edit:

TV Forecast?

Thanks! It's too bad there is no app like these that is on both iOS and Android, but I'll check it out to see if I like it more than TV Show Favs or not.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I didn't articulate well, I was trying to juxtapose the additional "freedom" of widgets, the customization element, with the sort of strict, my-way-or-the-highway control Apple keeps over design elements. I didn't mean strong as in better, I meant strong as in more restrictive.

I find that interfaces with more customization (MySpace, XBMC, jailbroken Winterboard themes on iPhone) tend to lack ownership and seem really, I don't know, disjointed. That's not to say that Apple isn't also guilty of that stuff, even in iOS.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would rather Apple try to tackle the problem of making useful information more visible and accessible rather than necessarily trying to adopt the widget paradigm of arbitrary sized and shaped content being dumped on the lock or home screensor the live tile paradigm of letting any program output data and wiggle around to grab your attention. I've tried both (I have a Nexus 7 and a W8 install and a WP7)

Tobor

... by that logic norman rockwell represents a 'stronger design vision' than picasso in his cubist period.

Thanks for the reply but I purposely wasn't responding to your posts as I consider you a lost cause ;P. I know Stumpokapow owns devices for all mobile systems though so I'm curious to find out why his opinion is so off the mark... in my opinion anyway

Man, that is a terrible comparison. Neither Rockwell's nor Picasso's work was meant to be interacted with and manipulated.

Blackhead

Redarse
I didn't articulate well, I was trying to juxtapose the additional "freedom" of widgets, the customization element, with the sort of strict, my-way-or-the-highway control Apple keeps over design elements. I didn't mean strong as in better, I meant strong as in more restrictive.

I find that interfaces with more customization (MySpace, XBMC, jailbroken Winterboard themes on iPhone) tend to lack ownership and seem really, I don't know, disjointed. That's not to say that Apple isn't also guilty of that stuff, even in iOS.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would rather Apple try to tackle the problem of making useful information more visible and accessible rather than necessarily trying to adopt the widget paradigm of arbitrary sized and shaped content being dumped on the lock or home screensor the live tile paradigm of letting any program output data and wiggle around to grab your attention. I've tried both (I have a Nexus 7 and a W8 install and a WP7)
*lowers knives*

Ok that's more palatable except, you know, WP8 live tiles is less customizable than iOS' notification center. I'm just surprised anyone would claim that Apple is that much more restrictive than the Metro team when you can't even change the background image on WP8 *shrug* that's different from design vision though so I'll cool it.

Top Bottom