• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Talon

Ugh. Why the fuck do I keep getting Game Center notifications for a game I don't fucking own challenging me to beat someone's score? I DON'T OWN EXTREME ROAD TRIP. PLEASE STOP SENDING ME NOTIFICATIONS!

How do I turn this stupid feature off? It's becoming more annoying than when people on FaceBook do it. I've gotten a dozen different notifications for the same game in the past 24 hours at random times with different random scores from two different people.

I can't turn notifications off all together because then I won't get them when people want to friend me. And there doesn't seem to be a preference to disallow this stupid feature.
This is literally killing me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's really weird.
I've never gotten GC notifications before until yesterday for that exact same game.
Me too! Are people manually making the game send the notifications? Or is the game doing something it shouldn't be and sending them without permission? I'm leaning towards the latter. In which case someone needs to report this game to Apple to have it taken down because this is bullshit.

I don't own this game. I should not be receiving notifications. The fact that FaceBook does the same thing in that it lets you send a challenge or request to someone that doesn't use the game or app you are using is everything that's wrong with social gaming.

I Googled hoping that others on the internet were also getting these messages out of the blue but no luck. Is this game brand new? Or recently updated?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just got another one. Same person. Same score apparently as the rest. Is this game fucked up?

iZA2mcP5NaOZ4.png

It needs to stop! Anyone else getting these besides disallow_bg and supposedly Talon?

Maybe it's a push server problem? In which case it might sort itself out. I notice a pattern though. Oddly, it must be the same notice because every time another comes in, all the others in the list change to the current received time. I keep declining it and it keeps coming.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I just got another one. Same person. Same score apparently as the rest. Is this game fucked up?

iZA2mcP5NaOZ4.png

It needs to stop! Anyone else getting these besides disallow_bg and supposedly Talon?

Maybe it's a push server problem? In which case it might sort itself out. I notice a pattern though. Oddly, it must be the same notice because every time another comes in, all the others in the list change to the current received time. I keep declining it and it keeps coming.

Yes, and they are awful.

Vyer

Ugh. Why the fuck do I keep getting Game Center notifications for a game I don't fucking own challenging me to beat someone's score? I DON'T OWN EXTREME ROAD TRIP. PLEASE STOP SENDING ME NOTIFICATIONS!

How do I turn this stupid feature off? It's becoming more annoying than when people on FaceBook do it. I've gotten a dozen different notifications for the same game in the past 24 hours at random times with different random scores from two different people.

I can't turn notifications off all together because then I won't get them when people want to friend me. And there doesn't seem to be a preference to disallow this stupid feature.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=162773&page=3

If the post in this thread is legit, the developers added a button where someone could send all their gamecenter friends a challenge. Dumb.

Looks like ill have to trim some folks out of my friends list unfortunately.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I suggest trying to download and install it (it looks like its free) and disable notifications.
That won't work. It's an iOS feature. (Challenging other members) I'm beginning to think it's not a fault of the user sending the message or the game itself but rather Apple's servers.

I wonder if it's the same people attached to all the messages we're all getting. I'd post the names but I don't want to embarrass them in case they have nothing to do with why it's repeating.

I temporarily turned off sounds so they won't bother me anymore until this stops.

Talon

That won't work. It's an iOS feature. (Challenging other members) I'm beginning to think it's not a fault of the user sending the message or the game itself but rather Apple's servers.

I wonder if it's the same people attached to all the messages we're all getting. I'd post the names but I don't want to embarrass them in case they have nothing to do with why it's repeating.

I temporarily turned off sounds so they won't bother me anymore until this stops.
Does it start with a K? I've unfriended a few people.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Does it start with a K? I've unfriended a few people.

Just checked my iPad NC and it's actually 4 different people now. All of them GAFfers. Which is why I don't unfriend them. One of them a well known member with a crazy PSP squirrel as his avatar. I won't name which one. But maybe he can shed light on it. The other names I don't recognize.

And no, none of them start with a K. At least not their "normal" names. I have a TRF, a DG, a FB and a JTP. You know who you are. ;)

Tobor

Just checked my iPad NC and it's actually 4 different people now. All of them GAFfers. Which is why I don't unfriend them. One of them a well known member with a crazy PSP squirrel as his avatar. I won't name which one. But maybe he can shed light on it. The other names I don't recognize.

And no, none of them start with a K. At least not their "normal" names. I have a TRF, a DG, a FB and a JTP. You know who you are. ;)

Haha. Flunkie.

I'm officially done with maps.

It has gotten 5 out of 8 locations wrong for me when driving somewhere (Thank GOD I bought a new car this year with GPS built in). This is extremely important to me since I see clients all day.

They suck they suck they suck. And it's depressing how bad they suck.

/End rant

Why don't you use a map app that lets you fix mistakes on the map so they never happen again. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVksbb1Z4SQ&sns=em)

They also just had a facelift and added neat (and scary) features I've yet to enable.

Appleman

Anybody else want back/forward gestures in Mobile Safari like in Safari for OSX? Same sheet-style animation, two finger swipe.

dyls

Oh dear, I'm one of them. Sorry, I just assumed that it would only go out to the people that already had the game. Which would obviously make much more sense. Apple should definitely make it so people can block challenges, or give those of us who want to be involved an easy way to target only certain people.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Oh dear, I'm one of them. Sorry, I just assumed that it would only go out to the people that already had the game. Which would obviously make much more sense. Apple should definitely make it so people can block challenges, or give those of us who want to be involved an easy way to target only certain people.
How exactly does it work right now? It just sends it to every one of your friends? That's really silly. And pretty damn stupid of them. There should be an option attached to your profile to disallow any challenges or only allow them from games you actually own. I don't want to be spammed about a game I have no interest in. FaceBook has this same problem. My god, the height of the Mafia Wars and Farmville craze were a pretty damn annoying time to be around.

I've never gotten messages like this ever before, and only from this one game.

Once again, I don't blame the player. I blame the dumb programming in iOS and lack of options for your Game Center profile.

I don't know if it's because it's the iPhone 5 or the 6.0.1 update or both, but I now can have no icons on the homescreen springboard. Which is all I really wanted actually, before this, you were forced to have at least ONE icon/app. I'm so happy this is no longer the case. =)

pjWU2.jpg

It's been like that since pre-ios 6. SmokeyDave mentioned it a while ago and I've had it for a hole now. I thought they'd remove it with ios 6

dyls

How exactly does it work right now? It just sends it to every one of your friends? That's really silly. And pretty damn stupid of them. There should be an option attached to your profile to disallow any challenges or only allow them from games you actually own. I don't want to be spammed about a game I have no interest in. FaceBook has this same problem. My god, the height of the Mafia Wars and Farmville craze were a pretty damn annoying time to be around.

I've never gotten messages like this ever before, and only from this one game.

Once again, I don't blame the player. I blame the dumb programming in iOS and lack of options for your Game Center profile.

Well Challenges just came with iOS 6 so I expect there will be a learning curve for everyone. This is the first one I've seen that sends it out to everyone, but I haven't really looked at how other games handle challenges, or if they even have them.

Even Facebook lets you click on the "x" in the corner of notifications to block them. I was getting tons of Farmville 2 requests and I clicked the little x and they stopped. I do the same for any and all future requests for games I don't play. Game Center definitely needs this functionality as well.

Edit: It seems any game with achievements or leaderboards is capable of sending challenges. If there is no in-game option, you can go into Game Center itself, tap on the achievement or high score you want someone to beat, and then it shows you a list of people in your friend list who own/don't own the game.

Hahaha I'm getting the same notifications for that extreme racer from flunkie. I don't own the game either. I got about 3-4 yesterday. Didn't really bother me. I actually downloaded the game and ill try to beat his high score sometime.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

The issue is with the game. Game Center splits Challenges into two camps, one with friends that have the game you're issuing a challenge for and the other with all the friends who don't have the game. This game is overriding this from within the game itself and sends the challenges to everyone regardless of them having the game or not.

You can see the way Apple intends it to work if you go in via Game Center, tap on an achievement or score and pick Challenge Friends.

Weenerz

Banned
Having some weird issues with my battery, did not use my phone at all and it showed 96% after about 10 minutes of being off the charger, so I turned off bluetooth, location services and anything else that could potentially draw too much power. After doing this, I lost another 4%. So I turned off, let sit for 2 minutes, then turned back on and the phone was a 99%. What is going on? It is a 4s, and I just want to know if my jank is broken.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Having some weird issues with my battery, did not use my phone at all and it showed 96% after about 10 minutes of being off the charger, so I turned off bluetooth, location services and anything else that could potentially draw too much power. After doing this, I lost another 4%. So I turned off, let sit for 2 minutes, then turned back on and the phone was a 99%. What is going on? It is a 4s, and I just want to know if my jank is broken.
Batteries trickle charge once at 90% up to 100%, discharges once at 100% back down to 90% if left plugged in while still displaying 100%. It doesn't update until draining from normal use occurs. Probably that you're experiencing.

This is normal, not just with iOS devices, same with laptops.

Sean

Banned
I don't own this game. I should not be receiving notifications. The fact that FaceBook does the same thing in that it lets you send a challenge or request to someone that doesn't use the game or app you are using is everything that's wrong with social gaming.

That's the whole point of this social gaming notification stuff, to add some viral aspect. The hope is that people go "I'm getting a bunch of notifications for this Extreme Racer game, wow it must be good, I'll go check it out!" But in reality it's pretty irritating. I've gotten 29(!!) challenges over the last few days for Extreme Road Trip 2. It's especially annoying because of Game Center's obnoxious "trumpet fan fare" alert sounds.

Apple needs to add some kind of toggle to allow friend requests but disable challenge notifications.

I just got an Iphone 4 and was wondering if there is some sort of Print Screen App?

I'm also wondering if there is a way to open multiple programs at the same time?
I'm playing a Japanese game that searches for other people to team up with, and during this time, I like to look up some words, or check my email. The problem is every time I go to check my email during this queue, I'm disconnected from the server, because I "closed" the game.

Thanks.

Somnid

Maybe I'm mistaken but wasn't iOS6 supposed to include an option to not require a password for free apps and updates? It there some way to enable this?

Mindwipe

Maybe I'm mistaken but wasn't iOS6 supposed to include an option to not require a password for free apps and updates? It there some way to enable this?

It does for updates. Free apps still require a password (which is reasonable in my view - I want a password to be required before someone who's on my phone can download an app that might upload my contacts book for example, or allow posting to Twitter).

Weenerz

Banned
Lost another 5 percent with it just sitting on my desk. Good signal strength, bluetooth and wifi turned off, location services turned off as well. Time to hit up the Apple store I guess.

Ashhong

It does for updates. Free apps still require a password (which is reasonable in my view - I want a password to be required before someone who's on my phone can download an app that might upload my contacts book for example, or allow posting to Twitter).

0 reason for us not to have the option though. Not all of us give our phones to strange people to use.

mrkgoo

So I'm fairly new to ios6, just got a new iphone5 moving from a 3G on iOS 4.2. Yeah the speed bump cannot me categorised.

Anyway, there seems to be a bug that causes crashing during rearranging apps. Intermittent, but I'm bound to hit it if I spend minutes moving stuff around. Hope it's an ios6 bug and not a hardware fault - I've seen reports of it on other iPhone models though.

Also is there a large change log I can see? I've noticed a few nice little touches, like in messages of you scroll the screen down, the keyboard slides with it. Just wondering how many things have improved. I do feel ios6 is getting long in the tooth though. I don't want change for change's sake, but some of the paradigms of ios1 don't really hold true now.

For example long lists of nested menu? Settings is becoming a real maze.

Also the omission of cursor keys needs to be rectified for typing.

The limitation to note is that it depends on which apple ID you're logged into at the time. If you have multiple accounts, or share apps, or have accounts with two different countries etc, updates will seemingly still ask you for a password if that's not your current login.

mrkgoo

So I have a few devices using icloud to sync my contacts calendars etc. I have very few documents in the cloud, in fact my total data comes up to maybe 20 MB. And it has always shown as such when I log in to icloud to check storage.

However, I just got a new phone, set it up as new, and now my iCloud says 825 MB left of 5GB. What is taking up the storage?

I go to any of my devices, and it's the same: it just says iCloud 825 left of 5, currently using 20MB.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So I have a few devices using icloud to sync my contacts calendars etc. I have very few documents in the cloud, in fact my total data comes up to maybe 20 MB. And it has always shown as such when I log in to icloud to check storage.

However, I just got a new phone, set it up as new, and now my iCloud says 825 MB left of 5GB. What is taking up the storage?

I go to any of my devices, and it's the same: it just says iCloud 825 left of 5, currently using 20MB.
Camera roll backup I'm guessing. Documents & Data never amount to much in iCloud, it's the other stuff that does. Did you check the full list of stuff backed up to your cloud on the respective backups?

mrkgoo

Camera roll backup I'm guessing. Documents & Data never amount to much in iCloud, it's the other stuff that does. Did you check the full list of stuff backed up to your cloud on the respective backups?

New phone with one photo? Nope.

At any rate, I don't even use iCloud backup. I have it turned off on all my devices.

Top Bottom