• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

noah111

Still Alive
I feel the multitasking should take a more 'card' approach akin to palm OS, or rather, like the pages in safari. At is, a double press shrinks back, and swipe to scroll through apps. Basically a bigger version of now, but instead of icons, have the last screen of the app.

I guess it could be a bit inconsistent if apps don't have a resume state though.
*cough*

I don't think it can be translated 1:1 since it worked so well on the Palm primarily due to that size and form factor. Displaying apps like tabs are in Safari would also be a step backwards tbh, since you'd only really see one app at a time.

... by that logic norman rockwell represents a 'stronger design vision' than picasso in his cubist period.

Thanks for the reply but I purposely wasn't responding to your posts as I consider you a lost cause ;P. I know Stumpokapow owns devices for all mobile systems though so I'm curious to find out why his opinion is so off the mark... in my opinion anyway
Haha, come on now. Just offering my two cents, but i'm pretty sure you know what I mean and (hopefully) you realize how absurd it is to apply GUI terminology/logic to different artistic styles. :p

Just thought I would chime in on what I took 'strong design vision' to mean in that context.

PS. "lost cause". That hurt, Greyface. That hurt.

Podcast app just got an update that fixes most of my problems!

The phone call glitch, and the deleted episodes reappearing are listed as fixed!

Hooray!

noah111

Still Alive
^Finally, it's v.1.1.2 btw;

• Tapping a podcast in Top Stations now reveals episodes you can play
• You can now easily turn on automatic downloads for all subscribed podcasts in Settings
• Addresses an issue where previously played or deleted episodes unexpectedly reappear as new
• Resolves an issue where Podcasts may unexpectedly play after a phone call or alarm
• Includes additional stability and performance improvements

Never had the phone call issue but the other stuff was definitely annoying.

I have a new bug! the brightness resets to zero after sleeping the phone! and noise cancellation for Siri doesn't work on my 4S and it keeps zonking out during recharge making the connection noise over and over again.

Just accidentally discovered this, but since when could we have SIX icons in the dock on the iPad? I, for whatever reason, always thought 5 was the max? Has it been like that forever!? o_O

hirokazu

I don't understand this attitude at all. It's not like the entire company needs to come to a screeching halt to figure out how to make a live updatable weather icon. Yesterday you were excited about the playback controls on the lock screen being moved slightly. You've spent lots of time discussing the placement of the album art on the lock screen. But with this one, it's "lets focus on what really matters". Little things matter to some of us, different little things matter to different people, and of all people you ought to understand that.

Being able to see the weather in NC from anywhere seems a lot more valuable to me than seeing the weather on an app icon on the home screen?

hirokazu

^It was a really generic icon at the time, but now that things are more dynamic it does seem out of place. Spacking of which, generic iOS icons in general are starting to look ugly. Especially the phone/sms;

I really hate the blue Voice Recorder icon. :| I thought the original realistic icon was much more appropriate for that app.

hirokazu

^Finally, it's v.1.1.2 btw;

• Tapping a podcast in Top Stations now reveals episodes you can play
• You can now easily turn on automatic downloads for all subscribed podcasts in Settings
• Addresses an issue where previously played or deleted episodes unexpectedly reappear as new
• Resolves an issue where Podcasts may unexpectedly play after a phone call or alarm
• Includes additional stability and performance improvements

Never had the phone call issue but the other stuff was definitely annoying.

Has it reached the point yet that it's worth using over the Music app for podcasts? >_>

hirokazu

I don't think you can do podcasts on the music app anymore. The app is fine now. I wasn't into it at first, but I've come around and enjoy it.

Oh, you still can, as long as you don't have the Podcasts app installed. The only limitation is you have to load podcasts via iTunes on Mac or PC. I suppose I'll give it another whirl now.

noah111

Still Alive
When it's running fine, it's vastly superior to podcasts via music.app. I've already subbed to a handful of new podcasts just because of how accessible the app makes it (vs usually using iTunes on my MBP). Still needs work on that front, though. Catalogue button should just be next to top stations (there's only two buttons down there yet the menu bar is crammed?), but I digress.

And yeah, before I DL'd it I was using music.app for podcasts just like I used to, so if you really hate it, that's a solution for you.o

Zanosuke

When it's running fine, it's vastly superior to podcasts via music.app. I've already subbed to a handful of new podcasts just because of how accessible the app makes it (vs usually using iTunes on my MBP). Still needs work on that front, though. Catalogue button should just be next to top stations (there's only two buttons down there yet the menu bar is crammed?), but I digress.

And yeah, before I DL'd it I was using music.app for podcasts just like I used to, so if you really hate it, that's a solution for you.o

I can also recommend Downcaster. Super easy to use and lots of options. My most used app by far.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
*lowers knives*

Ok that's more palatable except, you know, WP8 live tiles is less customizable than iOS' notification center. I'm just surprised anyone would claim that Apple is that much more restrictive than the Metro team when you can't even change the background image on WP8 *shrug* that's different from design vision though so I'll cool it.

With WP8 (and W8), it's not the user customization I'm necessarily referring to, it's also the dev customization. Live Tiles are an example of an element of the visual appearance of the system being turned over to devs in a way that static app icons are not, n'est pas?

RPS37

Has anyone else had the excessive data usage bug happen to them? The other day, I got a notice saying my phone went through 2+GB of data while it was asleep.

I wasn't sure where else to ask this....

Can anybody point me to a decent case for the new ipod touch? I went to target today and they didn't have anything, and there weren't many choices on amazon either. I'm just looking for something that will actually protect it when it drops, but doesn't add bulk, and keeps easy access to the buttons and ports...

Has anyone else had the excessive data usage bug happen to them? The other day, I got a notice saying my phone went through 2+GB of data while it was asleep.

Yep here too

iPad went through about 10GB this month and I have no idea how. I'm sure something has gone wrong somewhere

mollipen

Has it reached the point yet that it's worth using over the Music app for podcasts? >_>

Does the Podcast app actually sync what you've played with other devices? Does it work via a car stereo the way the normal Music app works?

Those are the two things that hold me back from even considering the Podcasts app.

Does the Podcast app actually sync what you've played with other devices? Does it work via a car stereo the way the normal Music app works?

Those are the two things that hold me back from even considering the Podcasts app.

sadly it still sucks, not as much as it used to mind you.
for example every couple of days when I open it, it will mark a whole bunch of podcasts as unheard even though I have heard them.
if you quit the app properly (via the task manager thingy) it forgets where you where last, which is really annoying as I constantly quit everything.
using siri to play a podcast it will start playing that podcast in the music app, without the podcast app realising that i have heard it...
ect

Ashhong

I find it ridiculous that you can't turn off the password prompt for free apps. It's extremely frustrating because Apple requires you to have a capital and a special character, and a number in your password. Takes me fucking forever to type it in.

Steelrain

I find it ridiculous that you can't turn off the password prompt for free apps. It's extremely frustrating because Apple requires you to have a capital and a special character, and a number in your password. Takes me fucking forever to type it in.

Yeah, I thought they were getting rid of that.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah, I thought they were getting rid of that.

PW prompt is gone only for app updates. Prompting for purchases, including free ones, is kept as a legality I'm guessing. Even if it's free it's technically still a purchase which needs some sort of check/failsafe before processed.

Nicktendo86

PW prompt is gone only for app updates. Prompting for purchases, including free ones, is kept as a legality I'm guessing. Even if it's free it's technically still a purchase which needs some sort of check/failsafe before processed.
That's the odd thing though, you don't have to enter passwords for free apps on Android so it is really weird that you do on iOS.I don't know what the situation is like on windows phone?

You need a special character? Mine is alpha numerical

Tobor

sadly it still sucks, not as much as it used to mind you.
for example every couple of days when I open it, it will mark a whole bunch of podcasts as unheard even though I have heard them.
if you quit the app properly (via the task manager thingy) it forgets where you where last, which is really annoying as I constantly quit everything.
using siri to play a podcast it will start playing that podcast in the music app, without the podcast app realising that i have heard it...
ect

Stop doing that! SMH

SeanR1221

I'm officially done with maps.

It has gotten 5 out of 8 locations wrong for me when driving somewhere (Thank GOD I bought a new car this year with GPS built in). This is extremely important to me since I see clients all day.

When I search for the name of a location, it rarely gives me all of them or the closest one to me. Example, I was looking for a place called 'Color Me Mine' yesterday. It directed me to the one 15 miles away, not the one 8 miles away.

Searching for key terms gives terrible results. Searching 'sushi' doesn't bring up my favorite sushi place (which I found through maps before they changed). Searching 'police' didn't bring up the local department when we found a dead dog in the road.

They suck they suck they suck. And it's depressing how bad they suck.

/End rant

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

No need for special characters, it's just alpha numerical:

Your Apple ID must be a valid email address (such as steve@me.com). Your password must be at least eight characters including a number, an uppercase letter, and a lowercase letter. You cannot use spaces, the same character three times in a row, your Apple ID, or a password you've used in the last year.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm officially done with maps.

It has gotten 5 out of 8 locations wrong for me when driving somewhere (Thank GOD I bought a new car this year with GPS built in). This is extremely important to me since I see clients all day.

When I search for the name of a location, it rarely gives me all of them or the closest one to me. Example, I was looking for a place called 'Color Me Mine' yesterday. It directed me to the one 15 miles away, not the one 8 miles away.

Searching for key terms gives terrible results. Searching 'sushi' doesn't bring up my favorite sushi place (which I found through maps before they changed). Searching 'police' didn't bring up the local department when we found a dead dog in the road.

They suck they suck they suck. And it's depressing how bad they suck.

/End rant

I was about to make this post. I had a terrible week with Maps.
I just can't believe how messed up it is now that I've had plenty of time to use it.

1. Was meeting someone for a sale I made online and the directions pointed me the wrong place. Luckily my passenger had an iPhone with 5.0 still on it so Google Maps saved me in time.
  2. Two national Pizza chains that are next to me do not show up
  3. Game store that was at the mall does not show up
  4. Local dentist offices are not all showing up
  5. Led me to another grocery store that was long since closed. WTF Yelp?

I now double check everything on the slow Google Maps webapp just to be sure.
The only bad experience with my phone is this. Stupid Yelp/Apple.

lupinko

I don't know if it's because it's the iPhone 5 or the 6.0.1 update or both, but I now can have no icons on the homescreen springboard. Which is all I really wanted actually, before this, you were forced to have at least ONE icon/app. I'm so happy this is no longer the case. =)

pjWU2.jpg

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I don't know if it's because it's the iPhone 5 or the 6.0.1 update or both, but I now can have no icons on the homescreen springboard. Which is all I really wanted actually, before this, you were forced to have at least ONE icon/app. I'm so happy this is no longer the case. =)

http://imgur.com/pjWU2.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Uhh. wow.
You're right.

th3dude

Not sure where to post this, but BestBuy is selling iTunes gift cards at 15% off (20% for rewards zone members, coupon is in your account).

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh. Why the fuck do I keep getting Game Center notifications for a game I don't fucking own challenging me to beat someone's score? I DON'T OWN EXTREME ROAD TRIP. PLEASE STOP SENDING ME NOTIFICATIONS!

How do I turn this stupid feature off? It's becoming more annoying than when people on FaceBook do it. I've gotten a dozen different notifications for the same game in the past 24 hours at random times with different random scores from two different people.

I can't turn notifications off all together because then I won't get them when people want to friend me. And there doesn't seem to be a preference to disallow this stupid feature.

Top Bottom