• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Majine

Banned
So I have a few devices using icloud to sync my contacts calendars etc. I have very few documents in the cloud, in fact my total data comes up to maybe 20 MB. And it has always shown as such when I log in to icloud to check storage.

However, I just got a new phone, set it up as new, and now my iCloud says 825 MB left of 5GB. What is taking up the storage?

I go to any of my devices, and it's the same: it just says iCloud 825 left of 5, currently using 20MB.

Backup is usually the big one. If you have "a few" devices, that could be it.

EDIT: Apprently I can't read. Well, that's all I got.

mrkgoo

Backup is usually the big one. If you have "a few" devices, that could be it.

EDIT: Apprently I can't read. Well, that's all I got.

Well thanks anyway. I'm setting up an appointment tomorrow with an Apple rep over teh phone to see if I can sort this out.

Ashhong

Has anybody had a problem with their text sound volume being really low? You know how the text sound goes lower when you are listening to music? It was stuck at that volume. I had to restart the phone to fix it. Am I missing something? Even force closed the iPod app

mrkgoo

Has anybody had a problem with their text sound volume being really low? You know how the text sound goes lower when you are listening to music? It was stuck at that volume. I had to restart the phone to fix it. Am I missing something? Even force closed the iPod app

There are two volumes, one for alerts and one for media. They can be both controlled by the volume controls or you can change the alerts to not be changed by volume controls. It's possible there's a bug that the alerts goes down when listening to media and forgets to bring it back up. Or it's a feature.

Check your setting under "Sounds". See if you have alerts being changeable with buttons on or not, maybe you have it off, and thus the bug manifests? I don't know, but worth playing around.

I have a request. Siri is quite useful, but it's having difficulty understanding my New Zealand accent. I have it on English(australian), but it's not that close. It's not so bad, but it will not recognise me saying "Add", which you can imagine is a huge problem for adding reminders, calendars, appointments, etc.

Is there any other suggestion for phrasing I can use that doesn't use the word "add"?

Ashhong

There are two volumes, one for alerts and one for media. They can be both controlled by the volume controls or you can change the alerts to not be changed by volume controls. It's possible there's a bug that the alerts goes down when listening to media and forgets to bring it back up. Or it's a feature.

Check your setting under "Sounds". See if you have alerts being changeable with buttons on or not, maybe you have it off, and thus the bug manifests? I don't know, but worth playing around.

I have a request. Siri is quite useful, but it's having difficulty understanding my New Zealand accent. I have it on English(australian), but it's not that close. It's not so bad, but it will not recognise me saying "Add", which you can imagine is a huge problem for adding reminders, calendars, appointments, etc.

Is there any other suggestion for phrasing I can use that doesn't use the word "add"?

Yea I checked all the settings and such. I don't know why it would keep the volume low. I thought it might be some kind of feature where it turns down the volume while you're at home or something, but nope. I have the setting set to control it with the buttons, I'll try without the buttons.

Tell Siri "What can you do?" and she'll give you some examples. Try "set up a meeting" or "schedule appointment" "remind me to"

KtSlime

Make? "Make me a reminder for ..." "Make a new appointment for..." maybe?

mrkgoo

Yea I checked all the settings and such. I don't know why it would keep the volume low. I thought it might be some kind of feature where it turns down the volume while you're at home or something, but nope. I have the setting set to control it with the buttons, I'll try without the buttons.

Tell Siri "What can you do?" and she'll give you some examples. Try "set up a meeting" or "schedule appointment" "remind me to"

Make? "Make me a reminder for ..." "Make a new appointment for..." maybe?

Ok, thanks, I'll give those a go. I wanted to specifically add things to a shopping list reminder, not my default Reminders list. We'll see how I go.

AHA! I was scouring thesaurus for "add", but couldn't find anything natural. THen I realised..."PUT". Boom.

Ashhong

Ok, thanks, I'll give those a go. I wanted to specifically add things to a shopping list reminder, not my default Reminders list. We'll see how I go.

AHA! I was scouring thesaurus for "add", but couldn't find anything natural. THen I realised..."PUT". Boom.

How do you do a shopping list reminder? And you can add items to it through siri? I wouldn't mind just making a shopping list with siri, I don't necessarily want to be reminded at a certain time.

hirokazu

How do you do a shopping list reminder? And you can add items to it through siri? I wouldn't mind just making a shopping list with siri, I don't necessarily want to be reminded at a certain time.
You make a reminder list called "shopping list" then you just tell Siri to "add tomatoes to my shopping list" and it'll do it.

mrkgoo

You make a reminder list called "shopping list" then you just tell Siri to "add tomatoes to my shopping list" and it'll do it.

Yup, or in my case, PUT tomatoes on my shopping list. DAMN YOU SIRI.

But honestly, Siri has been a revelation. good stuff when it works, which is unfortunately not high enough. Maybe 70-80% accuracy, when it needs to be 95 plus.

clip

Does anyone use the twitch.tv iPad app?

As far as I can tell, you can only watch live streams, and not previously recorded streams from a user's channel, is that right? If so, what's the deal :(

Jonogunn

Does anyone use the twitch.tv iPad app?

As far as I can tell, you can only watch live streams, and not previously recorded streams from a user's channel, is that right? If so, what's the deal :(

I'm having problems streaming. it would play for like 10 seconds then stop.

I googled the problem and a lot of other iPhone 5 users seem to have this problem too but not older iPhones.

I hope twitch is aware of the problem. :(

mrkgoo

Whatever happened to the idea of having coloured status bars? I thought it was supposed to colour itself depending on the colour of the bottom row of pixels on the navigation bar.

I see it in some places but not others. What's the point of the inconsistency?

edgefusion

Whatever happened to the idea of having coloured status bars? I thought it was supposed to colour itself depending on the colour of the bottom row of pixels on the navigation bar.

I see it in some places but not others. What's the point of the inconsistency?

If the app uses a custom chrome then the status bar stays black.

Majine

Banned
I like that I can have Facetime attached to all my devices, but whenever it calls on all my devices, and I pick up on one (most often on my Mac), it says "missed call" on the others.

It should know that I picked it up elsewhere, stop confusing me! :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
I like that I can have Facetime attached to all my devices, but whenever it calls on all my devices, and I pick up on one (most often on my Mac), it says "missed call" on the others.

It should know that I picked it up elsewhere, stop confusing me! :(

A bit more complicated, but with iMessage I wish it learned what device I was "active" on and delayed Messages alerts on the other devices by 5-10 seconds. I hate when I'm having a conversation and all my devices go haywire unless I strictly stay inside Messages the whole time.

mf.luder

The inconsistency is odd.

That's the worst part about it. It seems as if this was half thought. Same as changing the tab bar at the bottom. Some got the refresh (iPod) but the keypad on the phone (white is now white) still has the same black/blue tab bar.

KtSlime

Ah I see, thanks. What is the point of the coloured status bar? The inconsistency is odd.

*shrug* I'll let you know when I figure out why the houses down the street are all different colors.

Personally, I kind of like the different colors, but I didn't dislike how it was prior to the change either.

mrkgoo

*shrug* I'll let you know when I figure out why the houses down the street are all different colors.

Personally, I kind of like the different colors, but I didn't dislike how it was prior to the change either.

It's not so much the different colours, just the inconsistency in that some don't even do it. Like safari. I guess that has a scrolling navigation bar.

I have an app called 'Japanese' which has a red bar, but the status bar remains black. It just all seems kind of random.

KtSlime

It's not so much the different colours, just the inconsistency in that some don't even do it. Like safari. I guess that has a scrolling navigation bar.

I have an app called 'Japanese' which has a red bar, but the status bar remains black. It just all seems kind of random.

"Japanese" has rounded corners, so it has a black bar. It is kind of random, but I don't think it is any more random than how we style anything else. Personally I don't think the app looks bad, although I dislike some of the features that were removed, and the cards are horridly formatted for words and characters that have overloaded meanings. The author has to IMO fix text that flows off screen, and add a way to differentiate between ji and kotoba long before he should be concerned with whether a black top bar in his app is going to look odd when compared to the periwinkle blue top bar of the default apps.

mrkgoo

"Japanese" has rounded corners, so it has a black bar. It is kind of random, but I don't think it is any more random then how we style anything else. Personally I don't think the app looks bad, although I dislike some of the features that were removed, and the cards are horridly formatted for words and characters that have overloaded meanings. The author has to IMO fix text that flows off screen, and add a way to differentiate between ji and kotoba long before he should be concerned with whether a black top bar in his app is going to look odd when compared to the periwinkle blue top bar of the default apps.

Certainly (to be honest I don't use the app that much, just keep it around), it was just a weird inconsistency throughout ios6.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Individual song downloads via iTunes Match is back. :)

xJPCc.png

NYR

If I go to an Apple Genius bar to replace my iphone 4S will the replacement have iOS 6 installed already?

please say no :(

Usually has the most recent software, yeah. Considering most/all swap-out units are actually refurbished units that go back to the factory, it is almost assuredly has iOS 6 on it.

LCfiner

I saw this on the Macrumors forums.

Look at the new design of the passbook empty homescreen in 6.1.

compare to iOS 6.0.1

AhEeA.png

flatter, more abstracted icons. looks less textured.

timing is a coincidence? nah...

njean777

I thought you could always delete songs with swiping.... at least I have been able to, unless you guys are talking about something different.

Enco

Holy shit!

iTune Match is going to work again?

Possible new UI?

Apple seems to be making good progress.

All hail Jonny Ive!

Jonogunn

I believe Jovi says he doesn't like the inconsistency in all the apple apps (ie. game centre has a green and brown look while find my friends has a wood color)

I believe in the future we will see a consistent look across all apple apps

Guys my Mum has a weird problem with her i4

Basically, when she goes to iTunes, Purchased, Not on this Phone..she tried to download an EP she bought on her 3. It downloads 3/4 tracks to the iPod app, then nothing else. I go back into iTunes, try and download the remaining track, it says it downloads, it's in iPod app. Then a few mins later it pops back out into the Not on this Phone section of iTunes

This is for multiple albums, WTF is going one?!

crispyben

So, has anyone figured what the deal is with the "Others" data hogging up space? I've got 2.4GB on my 16GB iPhone 4, and I'd rather not take it with me when I move to a 16GB iPhone 5. Thinking it might be album art, I removed all my music, but to no avail... I don't have so many pictures in my Messages app, and the largest of my apps is Groove Coaster at 153Mo with data included. Anyone? I could rebuild everything manually, but I'd lose all the texts :-(

LCfiner

I'm now at 4.1 GB of "other". it's never been this high ever before on older iPhones and iOS versions. not sure what's causing it but I'm choosing not to worry about it unless I get a message saying I'm out of space if I try to install some big apps. I have a feeling it's some cache of music files from itunes match and will delete itself as required. I have 1.8 GB free.

Top Bottom