• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

mrkgoo

I've seen the other jump up during app installation, so I guess sometimes rogue installer files sometimes reside there (and I've heard as such from people who use explorer programs).

On top of that I've done many restores from my iPad that always clears a good portion of my "other". I never lose a bean. Not sure if messages is in there since I don't think I have installed since ios5, but j doubt you'd lose anything in a restore that you can't redownload (namely some temp data like magazine files)

I'm now at 4.1 GB of "other". it's never been this high ever before on older iPhones and iOS versions. not sure what's causing it but I'm choosing not to worry about it unless I get a message saying I'm out of space if I try to install some big apps. I have a feeling it's some cache of music files from itunes match and will delete itself as required. I have 1.8 GB free.

Deleting videos from the messages has helped get the number down a bit. Ultimately the only solution I've found that has actually worked for the bulk of the data is doing a Restore.

I do it every few months. It sucks. Wish they could fix that.

One of my friends has like fuckin 10Gigs of "other" on her 4S. No idea how the hell it got that high or what it could be, she has virtually no apps. (Uses her phone mainly as...a..phone? What? I don't understand)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I saw this on the Macrumors forums.

Look at the new design of the passbook empty homescreen in 6.1.

compare to iOS 6.0.1

AhEeA.png

flatter, more abstracted icons. looks less textured.

timing is a coincidence? nah...

Yessss. And so the iOS reshaping begins!

Scuderia

So my friend has just got an iPhone 4s, it's running iOS 6, he wants it unlocked, is this possible at the minute? (without phoning the carrier)

Bgamer90

Banned

Ai8oA.png

compare to iOS 6.0.1

AhEeA.png

Oh wow. Nice find.

Bodes well for the future.

Hmmm, I wonder if it would be worth unlocking my 5 before going to Europe next month. Do they have prepaid micro-SIMs readily available with data anywhere?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Asked it in the iPhone 5 thread, figured here is worth a shot, too:

So, fellow iTunes Match-ers... how can I update album art now? Doing it manually and then updating iTunes Match doesn't work, and actually reverts to the old album art after a bit. I have some wrong/low resolution artwork I wanna fix and I can't seem to find a way to make it "stick".

Anyone?

LCfiner

Asked it in the iPhone 5 thread, figured here is worth a shot, too:

Anyone?

I wish I knew a simple way but I guess it's still a bit buggy. I've had problems here, too. well, it was one album but I'm picky enough with album art to want it to be high res everywhere

Here's what I've done:

with itunes, delete all album artwork with the get info command and then copy the songs to a separate folder on your computer.

delete the songs in itunes and icloud.

make sure the songs are gone off the phone/ ipad as well. delete them there, too if you have to.

import the songs from the folder back into itunes, apply the itunes store artwork to them, then upload them to back to icloud.

that should get rid of any lingering low res artwork since the reference to the previous files is completely gone off icloud.

jcm

Hmmm, I wonder if it would be worth unlocking my 5 before going to Europe next month. Do they have prepaid micro-SIMs readily available with data anywhere?

FYI the iphone 5 needs a nano sim, not a micro sim. Where are you going? I frequently buy prepaid sims for data in Switzerland.

FYI the iphone 5 needs a nano sim, not a micro sim. Where are you going? I frequently buy prepaid sims for data in Switzerland.

Yeah, nano is what I meant. I'm going to at least 4 different countries over 17 days, but flying into Germany. If carriers are national and not regional, then I guess it wouldn't make much sense to both with buying sims and I should just buy an international data plan like I did when I went to Japan.

mrkgoo

I had an amazing experience with apple maps. Trains were cancelled so all commuters in the city were asked to take buses. It was a mad scramble and my sister just got on one that was headed in the right direction. After a while she thought she recognised the location and got off, but it turned out to be in the middle of nowhere and completely unfamiliar.

I used find my friends to locate her and headed out to pick her up. I was planning on just driving and making frequent stops to check I was headed in the right direction, but then I remembered I have apple maps now. I clicked 'open location in maps' from the find my friends panel, create route and start navigation. The turn by turn, hooked up to my car stereo didn't miss a beat and took me right to her. It was so cool to just gave it all done with a few taps from one device.

Thank you apple maps!

LCfiner

I swear, the vibe around Apple maps is so bad, that my brain read your first sentence as "agonizing experience" and I thought, "here we go, another bad story." Then I kept reading and waiting for the part where it couldn't find where you needed to go...

Funny how our brains work. i read the word I was expecting to read and not the one that was typed out

mrkgoo

I swear, the vibe around Apple maps is so bad, that my brain read your first sentence as "agonizing experience" and I thought, "here we go, another bad story." Then I kept reading and waiting for the part where it couldn't find where you needed to go...

Funny how our brains work. i read the word I was expecting to read and not the one that was typed out

:p

In other news, I didn't know you could define a word a la Mac OS X. Is this a new feature if iOS 6?

I clicked and held a word in safari and it gave me an option to 'define'. Clicking on it and it asked me to download a dictionary. Not an app. Some other dictionary like the Mac OS X one. I clicked ok and it downloaded something pretty quick.

Why was it not built in? Is it different from the one in iBooks? Can someone who hasn't downloaded the built in dictionary see if iBooks has one?

Edit: ok research shows this was in ios5. Lol, I guess this is what you get going from an iPhone 3G!

But still why the download? It seems iBooks uses the same one but I swear I could use that on my iPad without downloading anything.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
:p

In other news, I didn't know you could define a word a la Mac OS X. Is this a new feature if iOS 6?

I clicked and held a word in safari and it gave me an option to 'define'. Clicking on it and it asked me to download a dictionary. Not an app. Some other dictionary like the Mac OS X one. I clicked ok and it downloaded something pretty quick.

Why was it not built in? Is it different from the one in iBooks? Can someone who hasn't downloaded the built in dictionary see if iBooks has one?

Edit: ok research shows this was in ios5. Lol, I guess this is what you get going from an iPhone 3G!

But still why the download? It seems iBooks uses the same one but I swear I could use that on my iPad without downloading anything.
It downloads if there has been revisions. Plus iOS 6 doesn't come with it baked in because of something, who knows.

hirokazu

It downloads if there has been revisions. Plus iOS 6 doesn't come with it baked in because of something, who knows.
Because there is a lot of different dictionaries and bundling them all would take up several hundred megabytes if not several gigabytes, not entirely practical for space-limited iOS devices and would just add extra bloat to the firmware packages.

These dictionaries are all bundled with Mac OS X's standard installation, but it makes more sense to only download them if the user ever needs them on iOS.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Thinking about getting an iphone and I have a question about match.

When an album is released that has bonus tracks tacked on the end, I create a new album title for the extras as I prefer the albums to adhere to the normal track listing.

So when Match sees this stuff, will it just recreate it exactly how it appears in my itunes?

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

When an album is released that has bonus tracks tacked on the end, I create a new album title for the extras as I prefer the albums to adhere to the normal track listing.

So when Match sees this stuff, will it just recreate it exactly how it appears in my itunes?

Match doesn't mess, alter or affect tags at all. If iTunes proper doesn't have the bonus tracks it'll upload the files themselves, which has happened for a lot of bonus tracks I have, but tags are as I keep them.

Ashhong

Why do you create a new album title? Wouldn't those extra songs be numbered as say, 12-15? Or if not, wouldn't it make it more convenient to number those extra songs that way?

I also have questions about Match.

If I delete a low quality song from iTunes on my PC and re-download the high quality Match version, the next time I sync my iPhone will the high quality version transfer to my phone or will it just keep the low quality one?

Also, anyone else have a problem with Match downloading incomplete versions of songs? I have two songs in my library that abruptly cut off half way through and re-downloading from the cloud doesn't help.

Tobor

compare to iOS 6.0.1

AhEeA.png

I totally missed this. It looks great, and adds some much needed explanation. Nice.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Why do you create a new album title? Wouldn't those extra songs be numbered as say, 12-15? Or if not, wouldn't it make it more convenient to number those extra songs that way?

They are numbered 12-15. But the numbering is irrelevant just so long as tracks play in the proper order.

I do it because I believe in the album as a form of expression, a body of work. An album is not a play list.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just got my iPhone 5. What was that YouTube app people were raving about in this thread?

Can't seem to find it ATM.

mojiimbo

What's wrong with the actual YouTube app?
It doesn't let you play audio in the background, doesn't let you select whether you want 1080p/720p/SD and it still hasn't been updated for the iPhone 5 so videos have bars all the way around. Jasmine fixes all of that on top of not having ads before videos.

LCfiner

It doesn't let you play audio in the background, doesn't let you select whether you want 1080p/720p/SD and it still hasn't been updated for the iPhone 5 so videos have bars all the way around. Jasmine fixes all of that on top of not having ads before videos.

I haven't downloaded any YouTube app but this sounds much worse than their mobile web app. Yikes.

mrkgoo

Because there is a lot of different dictionaries and bundling them all would take up several hundred megabytes if not several gigabytes, not entirely practical for space-limited iOS devices and would just add extra bloat to the firmware packages.

These dictionaries are all bundled with Mac OS X's standard installation, but it makes more sense to only download them if the user ever needs them on iOS.

Yeah, I guess that makes sense. It was just such a small download, I figured why not just have it built in? still, cool. I love discovering new features.

Number45

They are numbered 12-15. But the numbering is irrelevant just so long as tracks play in the proper order.

I do it because I believe in the album as a form of expression, a body of work. An album is not a play list.
I can get behind this way of thinking. You can manipulate the downloaded songs as you want, and they'll be reflected in the cloud and on all of your match enabled devices.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Just use maps navigation for the first time. It's very glanceablr driving. Something you don't really notice when you just play around with it. Very easy to read.

hirokazu

It doesn't let you play audio in the background, doesn't let you select whether you want 1080p/720p/SD and it still hasn't been updated for the iPhone 5 so videos have bars all the way around.
It's almost as if Google is doing it on purpose! Not even iPad support, FFS.

I've seen a few questions about Match and I just thought I'd say that I had it for a bit, and it was great, but beware if you have any 'explicit' albums that are iTunes but that you didn't buy on iTunes. When I came to play The Slim Shady LP from the cloud it provided me with the censored version, and Apple customer support nor the internet could tell me how to get the actual songs.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've seen a few questions about Match and I just thought I'd say that I had it for a bit, and it was great, but beware if you have any 'explicit' albums that are iTunes but that you didn't buy on iTunes. When I came to play The Slim Shady LP from the cloud it provided me with the censored version, and Apple customer support nor the internet could tell me how to get the actual songs.

The issue of Match replacing explicit songs with censored versions in the cloud has been fixed since quite some time back. I'm sure there are anomalies still that get caught due to mis-matching song length/wave pattern but yeah, if an explicit song you're matching has an explicit equivalent on iTunes, that should now be the one you get attributed.

An usual work-around to re-match both explicit and songs in general that I've used myself for a couple out of my 12,000 matched songs has been to convert it via iTunes into a AAC/m4a equivalent format and match that.

Vyer

Whoa, I didn't know you could still navigate around the iTunes Store while a sample from a track is playing in the iTunes app. Is that new for ios6?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Whoa, I didn't know you could still navigate around the iTunes Store while a sample from a track is playing in the iTunes app. Is that new for ios6?
Yeah, that's new. It'll also keep playing if you exit the iTunes app or lock the screen now too.

Mindwipe

Nokia have released their HERE maps app - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/here-maps/id577430143?mt=8&affId=1503186 (why the hell isn't it called Nokia Maps?).

It's light years better than Apple Maps. Absolutely miles. I looked for a bunch of notable stuff that Apple Maps can't find, and they were all there.

It's also nowhere near as good as Google Maps. HTML5 as a basis destroys it's performance, saving maps offline is clunky to the point of being useless, and there are already some clunkers in terms of data (the reason the Hammersmith and City line veers so far from the track in the example below is because the station is in completely the wrong place...)

lRdsol.jpg

Sigh.

crispyben

So, has anyone figured what the deal is with the "Others" data hogging up space? I've got 2.4GB on my 16GB iPhone 4, and I'd rather not take it with me when I move to a 16GB iPhone 5. Thinking it might be album art, I removed all my music, but to no avail... I don't have so many pictures in my Messages app, and the largest of my apps is Groove Coaster at 153Mo with data included. Anyone? I could rebuild everything manually, but I'd lose all the texts :-(
In reply to myself, it was some damn voice memos that got duplicated and triplicated somehow, and were only accessible via DiskAid.

I hope this is the right thread for a quick question that's probably been asked before.

My mum has just asked if i can recommend a book for her to learn to use her iPad? It's iOS 6.0 apparently ( 6.0 - 10a403 ) so something specific to that would be great.

Something for the older person to learn to use mail, browser, video etc, preferably a book so she can have it open next to her when playing about. She is not very confident with technology at first so she tends to need an icebreaker.

I'm a couple of hundred miles away from her so can't easily help out directly.
Thanks.

Number45

I hope this is the right thread for a quick question that's probably been asked before.

My mum has just asked if i can recommend a book for her to learn to use her iPad? It's iOS 6.0 apparently ( 6.0 - 10a403 ) so something specific to that would be great.

Something for the older person to learn to use mail, browser, video etc, preferably a book so she can have it open next to her when playing about. She is not very confident with technology at first so she tends to need an icebreaker.

I'm a couple of hundred miles away from her so can't easily help out directly.
Thanks.
Sorry, this isn't going to answer your question directly, but in my experience with introducing people to iOS devices they can find their way around really quickly. My Dad took to his iPhone in no time (in contrast to the Galaxy S he had before that) and all we had to do was put the iPad in my Mums hands and she was immediately comfortably with browsing (these are both mid-60's, not tech enthusiasts).

A book seems clumsy, when spending 10 minutes using one after initial setup (for mail anyway) will be all that's needed.

Top Bottom