• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

jcm

I hope this is the right thread for a quick question that's probably been asked before.

My mum has just asked if i can recommend a book for her to learn to use her iPad? It's iOS 6.0 apparently ( 6.0 - 10a403 ) so something specific to that would be great.

Something for the older person to learn to use mail, browser, video etc, preferably a book so she can have it open next to her when playing about. She is not very confident with technology at first so she tends to need an icebreaker.

I'm a couple of hundred miles away from her so can't easily help out directly.
Thanks.

Does she live near an apple store? They have free, hands-on workshops. My father in law found it very helpful.

Blackhead

Redarse
I hope this is the right thread for a quick question that's probably been asked before.

My mum has just asked if i can recommend a book for her to learn to use her iPad? It's iOS 6.0 apparently ( 6.0 - 10a403 ) so something specific to that would be great.

Something for the older person to learn to use mail, browser, video etc, preferably a book so she can have it open next to her when playing about. She is not very confident with technology at first so she tends to need an icebreaker.

I'm a couple of hundred miles away from her so can't easily help out directly.
Thanks.

Unfortunately I don't think there are any paper books out already covering iOS6. Perhaps she could check the magazine rack at her local bookstore to see if there are issues of the Mac/iPhone/iPad oriented press with newer guides. If your mum has access to a computer or, better yet, a Kindle then I'd recommend the iPad Starter Guide, Fourth Edition from Macworld (I've browsed the 3rd edition and though it decent). After that she can grab one of the Take Control books.

Quick

Banned
I'm downloading some movies to my iPad via the iTunes Store and iCloud. It's going to take a long time to finish up. Will it be fine to leave it running for the night, or will it eventually just stop?

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
/QUOTE]

There's a very good free user guide by Apple on the iBookstore, download that in iBooks - it's a good jumping off point.

crispyben

Question for iOS Mail experts: I'm looking to optimize my battery usage, and that includes not using Push for my Gmail account. When I go to Settings > Mails, Contacts, Calendar > New data, I turn Push off then choose Manual in the Fetch options below so that my mails are downloaded only when I use the Mail app.

Then I go to Advanced, and for my Gmail account, I can still choose between Fetch (I think, it's in French) and Manual. What's the difference there? I also have my iCloud account there, which I only use to save my Contacts, and it's set to Push with Fetch and Manual as the other options, and I'm not sure how it applies to Contacts... Thanks.

Yoshiya

I'm downloading some movies to my iPad via the iTunes Store and iCloud. It's going to take a long time to finish up. Will it be fine to leave it running for the night, or will it eventually just stop?

Of couse. Do you actually ever turn it off? You're not really supposed to...

Question for iOS Mail experts: I'm looking to optimize my battery usage, and that includes not using Push for my Gmail account. When I go to Settings > Mails, Contacts, Calendar > New data, I turn Push off then choose Manual in the Fetch options below so that my mails are downloaded only when I use the Mail app.

Then I go to Advanced, and for my Gmail account, I can still choose between Fetch (I think, it's in French) and Manual. What's the difference there? I also have my iCloud account there, which I only use to save my Contacts, and it's set to Push with Fetch and Manual as the other options, and I'm not sure how it applies to Contacts... Thanks.

I believe your advanced fetch/manual will feed off the other fetch (every 10 mins, 30 mins, etc)/manual option.

It gets confusing- but the option with the timing is more of the global option

Quick

Banned
Of couse. Do you actually ever turn it off? You're not really supposed to...

Haha, no.

Just wondering, since I was downloading the Lord of the Rings Extended Edition trilogy from iTunes to my iPad. Wasn't sure if it would time out at some point.

In any case, it worked out just fine. It was all finished by the time I woke up.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Posting from best of ios thread because google maps is still annoying. Why do I need to re-sign in every time I close or refresh the maps tab. I normally wouldn't care but it won't display directions unless I'm signed in for some awful reason.

I'm planning to go to Tokyo this spring (March~April) for around 7~10 days & will be staying/visiting only around the big 4 (Akihabara, Shinjuku, Shibuya & Chiyoda).

Is there any good Tokyo offline maps for iOS US Store that I can use? Preferably one's with a working GPS & location tagging for stores of interest. Updated train guide to get to those places would be great too.

Go! Tokyo looks like it fits but the train info is quite old now as there are new lines added since its last update of July 2010, also no location tagging.

Using my iPad mini in Tokyo for the past fee weeks, but not offline. I couldn't find any decent apps anyway so you might be better off getting some Internet.

Actually this has been quite the experiment in terms of me using maps. I never ever used maps prior to this trip, but now I've had to use both google maps and ios maps a lot. Google maps in the browser has been kind of buggy for me (connection issues maybe) with my location loading but the actual map textures not loading. I also have to sign in every 5 minutes and nothing will come up in search results if I'm not signed in. That being said, google maps business/etc listings are clearly superior to ios' and also include train info (the fare too!) but the map textures not showing is quite annoying.

iOS maps on the other hand are inferior in most other ways, but it at least always loads, and the feature that shows that direction you're facing is great. Mostly what I've been doing so far is to find a location via google maps then find the same position on iOS maps, drop a pin, then just use that to get to my end location. Works well enough.

mrkgoo

Strangely enough I haven't had as many issues with apple maps as I thought I would.

I bet it won't have the same search as google maps, but I have google for that if I need. Navigation wise it has mostly been ok.

Siri is more of a revelation than I gave it credit for. Too bad location stuff doesn't work here yet. It's actually kind of silly. I'll say "Siri give me directions home" "which home address would you like me to give you directions to?" I select one and "sorry I can't give you directions to your home in New Zealand". However if I open maps and access my address via there there is no problem.

On top of that, I've found the podcast app to be quite enjoyable. I like the skeumorphism there. Sometimes while listening I like to flock the cover up and just watch the tape reels. It's kinda soothing.

Is it possible to delete a podcast from my iPhone so when I sync with my mac it deletes it from my mac? I thought it did this initially but it doesn't donut anymore so maybe I am mistaken. That was something that always kinda bugged me about how it handled podcasts (deleting on device kinda meant nothing).

So what do podcast apps such as instacast and stuff offer over the podcast app?

Just realised something with my ipad

Start playing some music then sleep the ipad. Bring it out of sleep, don't unlock it though..just have the slide to unlock screen showing.

Now for some reason Apple allow you to tap the screen and see the full album art with no banners or slide to unlock icons showing. Wonder why they did that.

FerranMG

So what do podcast apps such as instacast and stuff offer over the podcast app?

I use Downcast, and haven't tried Apple's podcast app, though I used the Music app back when it integrated podcasts.
What I like the most about Downcast is that it allows to skip forward or go backwards using swipes, and to set the amount of time you want to rewind or FF.
When I got it, it was also very nice to see how I could download podcasts automatically from the app, but I think the new podcasts app from Apple already has this.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Upgraded my dad's iPad 3 to iOS6. Did Apple remove the weather and stock market app?

mrkgoo

I use Downcast, and haven't tried Apple's podcast app, though I used the Music app back when it integrated podcasts.
What I like the most about Downcast is that it allows to skip forward or go backwards using swipes, and to set the amount of time you want to rewind or FF.
When I got it, it was also very nice to see how I could download podcasts automatically from the app, but I think the new podcasts app from Apple already has this.
Thanks. I guess just a case of minor differences.

Mononofu

So like a dumbass I upgraded my sprint 4s to io6 assuming it would be compatible with my Gevey Ultra s SIM. Nope, I cannot get a signal. Factory unlocking is impossible because the phone has a bad esn and rolling back to 5.1.1 with Redsn0w is only an option for A4 or below devices

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to fix this? Are my hands completely tied?

EDIT: Never mind I'm f*cked.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So like a dumbass I upgraded my sprint 4s to io6 assuming it would be compatible with my Gevey Ultra s SIM. Nope, I cannot get a signal. Factory unlocking is impossible because the phone has a bad esn and rolling back to 5.1.1 with Redsn0w is only an option for A4 or below devices

FUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Can someone please tell me if there is a way to fix this? Are my hands completely tied?

EDIT: Never mind I'm f*cked.
Had to Google what that was, the one you have is different from the ones offered on say http://www.applenberry.com/gevey-ultra-s-gsm/ ?

Ashhong

You can use a Gevey Ultra SIM to make a phone with a bad ESN work? I have a Verizon i4 with a bad ESN on 5.1.1..

whoaaaa you can! and suddenly my phone is usable again.

Quick

Banned
Funny thing just happened to my iPad: I was browsing GAF, and while a page was loading, I decided to switch to the Twitter app. Switched back to Safari, and the screen went black, with the Apple logo appearing, meaning it restarted itself. This would be the first time it's done this.

Usually, if the app crashes, it just jumps back to the home screen. This seems to have done a full restart. Has this happened to anyone else?

Link

The Autumn Wind
Funny thing just happened to my iPad: I was browsing GAF, and while a page was loading, I decided to switch to the Twitter app. Switched back to Safari, and the screen went black, with the Apple logo appearing, meaning it restarted itself. This would be the first time it's done this.

Usually, if the app crashes, it just jumps back to the home screen. This seems to have done a full restart. Has this happened to anyone else?
It happened to me last week, also while switching to Safari. Only time it's happened. iOS 6 is definitely buggy.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I am really really getting sick of this stupid Game Center spam from people playing games I don't own. I've now had to disable banners and sounds on all my devices. Something I didn't want to do because I still wanted to see friend requests. Now I won't even see those because I had to turn off messages globally. There should be an option. This is worse than FaceBook's horrible system that has all but completely gone away for me. Because at least FB let you block apps on a per-app basis.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am really really getting sick of this stupid Game Center spam from people playing games I don't own. I've now had to disable banners and sounds on all my devices. Something I didn't want to do because I still wanted to see friend requests. Now I won't even see those because I had to turn off messages globally. There should be an option. This is worse than FaceBook's horrible system that has all but completely gone away for me. Because at least FB let you block apps on a per-app basis.
Same old game again I'm guessing. I've just turned off notifications for anyone not in my Contacts list, thus only IRL friends notifications show up. It's in the Game Center Notifiaction settings.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Same old game again I'm guessing. I've just turned off notifications for anyone not in my Contacts list, thus only IRL friends notifications show up. It's in the Game Center Notifiaction settings.
Nope. I have gotten requests from multiple games now. One day I even got a null game request. It was called "". The only people on my friends list are NeoGAF members too. Somehow I think Apple didn't think their cunning plan all the way through.

mrkgoo

A friend got two notifications for letterpress, one this morning from me and another from another friend.

He's deleted the game. But get this - we didn't send him any requests! He's getting phantom requests like game centre has resent the old requests or something.

oipic

For what it's worth, I've suffered this a couple of times, but only when low on free disk space. 'Tis a bit unusual, though.

On a similar note, I think my iPad 3 is not in a good way - it's locking up/freezing quite frequently, and when rebooted, won't move past the Apple logo boot screen without some prodding (I need to connect it to my PC with iTunes running, and boot the pesky thing in recovery mode - and then disconnect and attempt to restart it a couple of times).

On a couple of occasions, it has only come good when left alone for a couple of hours or so (!), after which it boots up and operates perfectly well, like nothing had happened. Weird.

Time for a reset/restore, perhaps?

hirokazu

My iPad 3 has crazy battery draining issues from some background process. Normally one charge would last me 5-7 days, but lately, it'll inexplicably drain while I'm not using it. When I check the Usage, it'll report usage while it was supposed to be idle.

So say I go to bed and it's at 2 hours usage, I wake up in the morning and it'd be at 10 hours with 20% battery eaten away. I've tried force reboots (which fix it until it happens again within days), turning off Wi-Fi when the iPad is not in use, and quitting all apps when I'm not going to use the iPad for several hours.

None of it works. I do suspect a certain app is responsible for it, but it doesn't explain why it happens even if I quit that app after using it.

This is driving me absolutely fucking insane and I might just do a full reset and start from scratch again.

mrkgoo

My iPad 3 has crazy battery draining issues from some background process. Normally one charge would last me 5-7 days, but lately, it'll inexplicably drain while I'm not using it. When I check the Usage, it'll report usage while it was supposed to be idle.

So say I go to bed and it's at 2 hours usage, I wake up in the morning and it'd be at 10 hours with 20% battery eaten away. I've tried force reboots (which fix it until it happens again within days), turning off Wi-Fi when the iPad is not in use, and quitting all apps when I'm not going to use the iPad for several hours.

None of it works. I do suspect a certain app is responsible for it, but it doesn't explain why it happens even if I quit that app after using it.

This is driving me absolutely fucking insane and I might just do a full reset and start from scratch again.

It might be a rogue app, as you say (can check with apps that show current processes).

But the system itself could be using stuff.

For example, Location-based reminders will constantly be checking to see where you are to know whe to remind you. Or other location services could be operating. By default location services being used by the system will NOT notify you. Stuff like setting time automatically by location will check. iAds will check. Traffic data.

Bot saying these are likely to be your issue but worth taking a look at your location services.

hirokazu

It might be a rogue app, as you say (can check with apps that show current processes).

But the system itself could be using stuff.

For example, Location-based reminders will constantly be checking to see where you are to know whe to remind you. Or other location services could be operating. By default location services being used by the system will NOT notify you. Stuff like setting time automatically by location will check. iAds will check. Traffic data.

Bot saying these are likely to be your issue but worth taking a look at your location services.

Yep, just to be sure I'll maybe do a trial with Location Services turned off completely, but I doubt that's the problem.

I don't use location-based notifications because it has to check GPS constantly. There's a switch in Settings to make it display the Location Services icon when it is being used by the system, which I have turned on. The system usually uses Location Services every once in a while, not for eight hours straight, so I doubt that's the cause unless it's spawned a runaway process.

Does Xcode have any tools to view running processes and their CPU and RAM usage in realtime on iOS like Activity Monitor on OS X?

mrkgoo

Yep, just to be sure I'll maybe do a trial with Location Services turned off completely, but I doubt that's the problem.

I don't use location-based notifications because it has to check GPS constantly. There's a switch in Settings to make it display the Location Services icon when it is being used by the system, which I have turned on. The system usually uses Location Services every once in a while, not for eight hours straight, so I doubt that's the cause unless it's spawned a runaway process.

Does Xcode have any tools to view running processes and their CPU and RAM usage in realtime on iOS like Activity Monitor on OS X?

Yeah sounds like you already check.

I have istat1 which does show active processes. It's not on the store any more though and I'm not sure if it allows the same thing for their new istat2.

I can tell you iOS 6 has a LOT more processes than previous...

LCfiner

I didn't think this was threadworthy but someone might disagree:

Apple Inc. has fired the manager responsible for its troubled mapping software, seeking to win back the trust of users disappointed after the program debuted in September, according to people familiar with the move.

Richard Williamson, who oversaw the mapping team, was fired by Senior Vice President Eddy Cue, said the people, who asked not to be named because the information wasn’t yet public. Cue, who took over last month as part of a management shakeup, is seeking advice from outside mapping-technology experts and prodding digital maps provider TomTom NV (TOM2) to fix landmark and navigation data it shares with Apple.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...-manager-after-flaws-hurt-iphone-5-debut.html

wheels are in motion

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
What disappointed users? I'm convinced this is just an internet thing and no one in real life has experienced any problems.

kr2t0s

What disappointed users? I'm convinced this is just an internet thing and no one in real life has experienced any problems.

I went to a 3 year old birthday party the week that ios6 came out. All of the moms that were there were complaining about maps. One of the moms said after updating she called her husband to not update to ios6.

Most of the people complaining were not complaining about locations being wrong but the complete lack of traffic data.

Granted i'm in LA, which is a driving city, so maybe our moms are a little more sensitive to map data but it is a real problem.

mrkgoo

When ios6 was released, my aunty called me up and asked why she could no longer see the houses for people on her contacts list (street view).

Mr Swine

Banned
So will apples IOS6.1 fix this darn bug where I need to restart my IPad 2 almost every time it connects to my network? This never happened with IOS5

LCfiner

Dude, It's a real issue and not internet hyperbole. there's a tremendous lack of POI data. Then there's inaccurate data. Especially outside the US. Oh, and awful satellite imagery for lots of international cities.

The only thing that's better in iOS 6 than 5 (assuming you're on a 4S or 5) is you can enter an address and the turn by turn will take you there. if you search for a store/ restaurant name for turn by turn, there's a chance it might not find it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Dude, It's a real issue and not internet hyperbole. there's a tremendous lack of POI data. Then there's inaccurate data. Especially outside the US. Oh, and awful satellite imagery for lots of international cities.

The only thing that's better in iOS 6 than 5 (assuming you're on a 4S or 5) is you can enter an address and the turn by turn will take you there. if you search for a store/ restaurant name for turn by turn, there's a chance it might not find it.

I think he was being sarcastic:
Last edited by Jackben; Today at 01:22 PM. Reason: /mescalineeyes

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I went to a 3 year old birthday party the week that ios6 came out. All of the moms that were there were complaining about maps. One of the moms said after updating she called her husband to not update to ios6.

Most of the people complaining were not complaining about locations being wrong but the complete lack of traffic data.

Granted i'm in LA, which is a driving city, so maybe our moms are a little more sensitive to map data but it is a real problem.

But, there is traffic data. It just shows up differently.

kr2t0s

Maybe complete is a little harsh but comparing Santa Monica in Google maps vs Apple maps...it is not even comparable.

Google has indications for almost all of the small roads that get backed up during rush hour. Apple will only have the 2 major freeways (405 and 10) and thats it. It's not even usable.

Top Bottom