• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Quick

Banned
I find that a handful of people I know won't upgrade to iOS 6 due to vague and uninformed reasons. When I pressed on, I don't get any specifics. "I read about it, and I heard half my apps won't work, and other stuff".

Not that they're wrong, but it couldn't hurt to be more informed before dismissing it completely.

Enco

I find that a handful of people I know won't upgrade to iOS 6 due to vague and uninformed reasons. When I pressed on, I don't get any specifics. "I read about it, and I heard half my apps won't work, and other stuff".

Not that they're wrong, but it couldn't hurt to be more informed before dismissing it completely.
To be honest the only real reason is the Maps joke.

I've tried using it a crapload of times and not ONCE has it been correct and useful. It's downright embarrassing and impossible to use. At least in the UK. We insult all maps by calling it that.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Maybe complete is a little harsh but comparing Santa Monica in Google maps vs Apple maps...it is not even comparable.

Google has indications for almost all of the small roads that get backed up during rush hour. Apple will only have the 2 major freeways (405 and 10) and thats it. It's not even usable.

That sucks. I haven't noticed much of that here in Chicago, but that i probaby due to the place i drive to. Where do google and apple get their traffic info from?

Link

The Autumn Wind

I dunno, it's fairly buggy in general. I've run into a few issues outside of maps including but not limited to:

1. The screen not reilluminating when I touch it after it dims from being idle. I'll have to use the lock button to turn the screen off and then turn it back on. This is the most frequent annoyance, and has happened at least a couple dozen times.

2. The App Store icon showing an update badge, but nothing being listed when I open it. I'll have to force close it and reopen it to get it to show up. Also happens frequently.

3. The phone rebooting itself when I switch to Safari, for no real reason at all. Only happened once so far, but I know it's happened to others as well, including you.

4. When I start up a song, it will stop playing in the background when I leave the music app. I'll have to reboot the phone to get it to work properly again. Has happened a couple of times.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

My roommate won't upgrade due to maps.
Which is good, as I use her phone to check for locations when we're out.

dyls

Dude, It's a real issue and not internet hyperbole. there's a tremendous lack of POI data. Then there's inaccurate data. Especially outside the US. Oh, and awful satellite imagery for lots of international cities.

The only thing that's better in iOS 6 than 5 (assuming you're on a 4S or 5) is you can enter an address and the turn by turn will take you there. if you search for a store/ restaurant name for turn by turn, there's a chance it might not find it.

And the fact it is so much faster, smoother, and cleaner. It's been nothing but a positive for me in LA.

I read somewhere that google maps was available in the app store for iphone 5?

but cant find it anywhere... I cant use this crappy apple maps.

Mairu

I read somewhere that google maps was available in the app store for iphone 5?

but cant find it anywhere... I cant use this crappy apple maps.

Not out yet, still in development. You can always go to maps.google.com in Safari and add a shortcut to your home screen, but it's not as good as a native app

Is there no way to share ringtones phone to phone? I just made a ringtone, but I can't share it to people without emailing it to them, have them downloaded it, add it to itunes, sync their phones with itunes, and select it via ringtones? There's no simple way to do this?

Quick

Banned
I dunno, it's fairly buggy in general. I've run into a few issues outside of maps including but not limited to:

1. The screen not reilluminating when I touch it after it dims from being idle. I'll have to use the lock button to turn the screen off and then turn it back on. This is the most frequent annoyance, and has happened at least a couple dozen times.

2. The App Store icon showing an update badge, but nothing being listed when I open it. I'll have to force close it and reopen it to get it to show up. Also happens frequently.

3. The phone rebooting itself when I switch to Safari, for no real reason at all. Only happened once so far, but I know it's happened to others as well, including you.

4. When I start up a song, it will stop playing in the background when I leave the music app. I'll have to reboot the phone to get it to work properly again. Has happened a couple of times.

My roommate won't upgrade due to maps.
Which is good, as I use her phone to check for locations when we're out.

Yeah, I know. But I'm referring to people who are uninformed, yet staunchly oppose iOS 6 for vague reasons.

Probably a niche subject to talk about in general with people, iOS 6. lol.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Oh, well there's your problem. Have you tried setting it up as a new phone? Any software problem like that will probably still be there if you restore.
Yeah, I'll probably try that at some point. They're fairly small and infrequent annoyances, at least. Nothing that can't be remedied quickly. Hopefully 6.1 tightens things up a bit.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I've reported dozens of misplaced or incorrect landmarks and businesses in my area, week after week, but nothing changes. I add my workplace to Google Maps and they verify it within 24 hours and email me to let me know it's now there.
If they want to be better than Google Maps, they have to be better than Google, and that means becoming more conversational with their community instead of the impenetrable black monolith/Willy Wonka's Sshh Secrets Tech Factory.

Not sure if this is the right place to put this.

I just bought 2 ipod touch 4g's for my kids. Is it safe to assume these things are powerful enough to run most games on the app store?

I have an iphone 4 in the family also and I haven't run into any issues there, and the internals seem similiar.

I see that I can put ios 6 on these as well. Is this a good idea performance and compatibility wise?

thanks

Number45

I bought a 4th generation touch for one of my daughters a few months back. I haven't had anything refuse to play, but that thing is not fast at all. Running 6.0.1 without any problems.

BigDug13

My only questions with the Google Map app that's coming is whether or not it will have turn by turn ability and if you can force Siri to use it when giving you directions like you can do with the crappy Apple maps.

It also appears that traffic is supposed to show somehow, as I asked Siri "how's traffic" when I had a route in and she zoomed out my route to show me the whole path as if the lack of color lines was giving me the traffic info that I asked for.

I bought a 4th generation touch for one of my daughters a few months back. I haven't had anything refuse to play, but that thing is not fast at all. Running 6.0.1 without any problems.

Cool. Did you upgrade to ios 6? If so, did that affect performance at all? At $129 apiece I'm not too worried about it as long as it's acceptable. The kids are 10 and 6.

Number45

Cool. Did you upgrade to ios 6? If so, did that affect performance at all? At $129 apiece I'm not too worried about it as long as it's acceptable. The kids are 10 and 6.
No noticeable drop at all - she certainly hasn't said anything (it was a 7th birthday present in September, so upgraded to 6 and then 6.0.1).

My iPad 3 has crazy battery draining issues from some background process. Normally one charge would last me 5-7 days, but lately, it'll inexplicably drain while I'm not using it. When I check the Usage, it'll report usage while it was supposed to be idle.

So say I go to bed and it's at 2 hours usage, I wake up in the morning and it'd be at 10 hours with 20% battery eaten away. I've tried force reboots (which fix it until it happens again within days), turning off Wi-Fi when the iPad is not in use, and quitting all apps when I'm not going to use the iPad for several hours.

None of it works. I do suspect a certain app is responsible for it, but it doesn't explain why it happens even if I quit that app after using it.

This is driving me absolutely fucking insane and I might just do a full reset and start from scratch again.

If you check your Diagnostic & Usage data (settings -> General -> About), do you see a lot of crash reports related to a process called Webbookmarksd? I had this problem and it took me quite a while to figure out how to fix it. It seems to be a bug related to Safari iCloud syncing which causes the process to run constantly, draining your battery extremely quickly.

To fix this I had to: 1. Make a backup in iTunes 2. Open this backup in a desktop app called iBackupbot 3. Replace my Safari bookmarks with a blank bookmark file from iOS 6 4. Restore the backup in iTunes.

A bit of hassle but better than restarting from scratch.

paparazzo

So, uh, iTunes 11... Somehow I get the feeling they never should have announced it and just released it when ready and surprised everyone.

tmdorsey

It also appears that traffic is supposed to show somehow, as I asked Siri "how's traffic" when I had a route in and she zoomed out my route to show me the whole path as if the lack of color lines was giving me the traffic info that I asked for.

The lack of color means there's no traffic. If there is traffic then you see color lines. Pretty simple to understand to me.

The lack of color means there's no traffic. If there is traffic then you see color lines. Pretty simple to understand to me.

That's different than how other traffic status is for other mapping services though. Typically a mapping service will show green when things are good, not nothing.

LCfiner

Dammit apple when are we going to be able to choose our own god damn text font in your shitty mail app??

Do you mean the UI of the app or the text in the message?

You can change text within a mail message. click on the "format" button on the menu bar of a new message and you get a new menu with all your typical font options

tmdorsey

Do you mean the UI of the app or the text in the message?

You can change text within a mail message. click on the "format" button on the menu bar of a new message and you get a new menu with all your typical font options

Can you make screenshot cause I'm not seeing it?

LCfiner

I would but I'm a dumbass and thought I was replying in the Mac OS thread.

yeeeeaaaahhhhhh.

so nevermind me, iOS mail is still helvetica-only

hirokazu

If you check your Diagnostic & Usage data (settings -> General -> About), do you see a lot of crash reports related to a process called Webbookmarksd? I had this problem and it took me quite a while to figure out how to fix it. It seems to be a bug related to Safari iCloud syncing which causes the process to run constantly, draining your battery extremely quickly.

To fix this I had to: 1. Make a backup in iTunes 2. Open this backup in a desktop app called iBackupbot 3. Replace my Safari bookmarks with a blank bookmark file from iOS 6 4. Restore the backup in iTunes.

A bit of hassle but better than restarting from scratch.
I had read about Safari iCloud syncing and turned it off once to see if it affected my battery, but I think I'll have to check the logs. Thanks.

EDIT: Just checked and there's no crash reports for webbookmarksd

diffusionx

Gold Member
I've been using Apple Maps a lot since it released and it's been just fine. Granted, I used it mainly in the Northeast and the SF Bay Area, and I am willing to concede that those might be the places that got the most attention. But it's handled virtually everything I've thrown at it. The POI data has also improved a lot too. It's not where it needs to be, but it's far better than the old version for me.

Blackhead

Redarse
I've been using Apple Maps a lot since it released and it's been just fine. Granted, I used it mainly in the Northeast and the SF Bay Area, and I am willing to concede that those might be the places that got the most attention. But it's handled virtually everything I've thrown at it. The POI data has also improved a lot too. It's not where it needs to be, but it's far better than the old version for me.

Even so, for those who use public transit (and there are many who do in the SF Bay Area:
32% of San Francisco residents use public transportation in daily commuting to work, ranking it first on the West Coast and third overall in the United States
the Maps app is far worse than the old version.

Majine

Banned
The way Game Center works, with recommended friends and the fact that the invites you send are in your own language, it's kinda funny seeing all these invites come in in wide variety of languages.

Yesterday I got an arabic and italian, I think.

I had read about Safari iCloud syncing and turned it off once to see if it affected my battery, but I think I'll have to check the logs. Thanks.

EDIT: Just checked and there's no crash reports for webbookmarksd

Are there a lot of crash reports for anything else? I think I've heard of a similar issue with another process.

Link

The Autumn Wind
So even stranger, all my albums are sorted properly on my phone, but I still have a couple of songs splintering off in iTunes. So the album shows up twice in album view, with one of those listings just having the single song. I'll get to the bottom of this!

EDIT - I've gotten it down to three songs, so I'm close.

Quick

Banned
Has anybody been having notification issues with the Messenger app with both iMessages and text messages?

Lately, notifications (lock screen and sound) have been inconsistent when it comes to notifying me about getting a new message. I'd check my lock screen and there's a message or two on it, but I never saw the screen light up or heard a sound.

Quick

Banned
give me an example. Like I have no clue what ya even said lol. Passbook is like the most confusing shit apple done for ios imo.

I consider it the opposite, actually. Probably the simplest in terms of how it works, haha.

Examples of uses? On Chrome, a website can post a coupon on its website that allows you to add it to Passbook, and all you have to do is click on the link to add it.

It's the same with Sparrow, but to make another example: you sign up for a rewards card for a store, the store sends you a confirmation e-mail, and could send you a Passbook link to add it.

Don't know how it is for you guys in other countries, but Passbook support is pretty limited in Canada, so far from my experience. I use it at Starbucks (gift card/reward card) and the movie theatre (for my points card). No other places I go to have an app that lets me add their card offering to Passbook.

Top Bottom