• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I've definitely experience WiFi disconnects on my iPhone 5. Only accurately describable as completely fucking annoying.

And yeah the UI lag and sluggishness still being an issue is just incomprehensible really, less than before but still makes you wonder.

Talon

I've definitely experience WiFi disconnects on my iPhone 5. Only accurately describable as completely fucking annoying.

And yeah the UI lag and sluggishness still being an issue is just incomprehensible really, less than before but still makes you wonder.
What sluggishness exactly?

I love iTunes, but like iPhoto, it's really not that intuitive for people coming from a concept of folders and files.

These programs for managing your CONTENT (as opposed to files, which it does in the background) are awesome, but it does take a bit of 'unlearning' to get it.

Tell me about it. I've been using a MBP for four and a half years, and a Mac Pro for work for the last two and a half, and still Apple find ways on a regular basis to bring out the 90 year old invalid in me with their 'user friendly' design.

Although I expect if I hadn't spent 15 years or so before then being very well antiquated with Windows (and to an extent, DOS), I wouldn't find it so perplexing to do things their way. Then again, perhaps I just have one of those brains.

Talon

Geez, I'm now regularly getting around 10 hours of Usage now after switching full-time to the Gmail app instead of relying on Exchange to push Gmail through on the standard mail app.

LCfiner

I love iTunes, but like iPhoto, it's really not that intuitive for people coming from a concept of folders and files.

These programs for managing your CONTENT (as opposed to files, which it does in the background) are awesome, but it does take a bit of 'unlearning' to get it.

When I was responding to his posts, it hit me that it's really not clear that the music listing in the sidebar is totally different than the music tab in the main window.

and then I thought that this could be one more reason why Apple now hides the sidebar by default.

mrkgoo

Tell me about it. I've been using a MBP for four and a half years, and a Mac Pro for work for the last two and a half, and still Apple find ways on a regular basis to bring out the 90 year old invalid in me with their 'user friendly' design.

Although I expect if I hadn't spent 15 years or so before then being very well antiquated with Windows (and to an extent, DOS), I wouldn't find it so perplexing to do things their way. Then again, perhaps I just have one of those brains.

Nah, I think you're right. A lot of what apple does is only 'intuitive' if you're NOT coming from windows.

When I was responding to his posts, it hit me that it's really not clear that the music listing in the sidebar is totally different than the music tab in the main window.

and then I thought that this could be one more reason why Apple now hides the sidebar by default.

Are you saying the music tab in the iPhone view?

But yes, the side bar is great, but very much a more 'power' user thing. I use power user VERY loosely, just saying its a feature that shows a grand overview style of navigation. The kind of overview that most people don't need to see ALL the time.

It's navigationally a bit more impaired to have the side bar off, but for general users, who don't need to be overwhelmed with all that info, the new view is more simple. Less buttons and controls, and every button much more clear as to what it does.

I'm going to forge ahead with sidebar off and only turn it on if I need it to see how I go. I like how the devices button only appears if you have something connected and how it changes to have a popover if you have more than 1. To speed things up, perhaps have multiple buttons appear, one per device, and IF you have more than,say, 3, ten merge them in a popover? I dunno.

LCfiner

Nah, I think you're right. A lot of what apple does is only 'intuitive' if you're NOT coming from windows.

Are you saying the music tab in the iPhone view?

yes.

I think there was a while where itunes would jump your view to the main iphone/ipod view when you docked the device. so you would see the main window by default along with the tabs for music, movies, etc, so it would be more obvious where to go. but they don't do that anymore.

so if you're looking at the source list on the side and expecting the dropdown list of items installed on the phone to allow you the same operations as the main window allows (like you would within windows explorer) then it'll be confusing. itunes really needs you to be in that main view to add or remove items from the iphone. hiding the sidebar removes that potential for confusion.

Vyer

Geez, I'm now regularly getting around 10 hours of Usage now after switching full-time to the Gmail app instead of relying on Exchange to push Gmail through on the standard mail app.

I'm already averaging 8+ hours, but.....hmmm.

mrkgoo

yes.

I think there was a while where itunes would jump your view to the main iphone/ipod view when you docked the device. so you would see the main window by default along with the tabs for music, movies, etc, so it would be more obvious where to go. but they don't do that anymore.

so if you're looking at the source list on the side and expecting the dropdown list of items installed on the phone to allow you the same operations as the main window allows (like you would within windows explorer) then it'll be confusing. itunes really needs you to be in that main view to add or remove items from the iphone. hiding the sidebar removes that potential for confusion.

I suppose so. I think I get what you're saying.

In other news, FlickR has finally updated their App. First time in a year. It seems Marissa Meyer is lighting some fires and getting stuff moving, as a new Yahoo mail app has launched as well. I'm really hoping that Yahoo becomes popular again.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Has anyone figured out how to get rid of the annoying "Bookmarks Bar" folder in Safari on the iPhone that showed up when I synced it with iCloud? I don't even have Safari on my PC!

Link

The Autumn Wind
Settings > iCloud > switch off Safari.
I did that. It doesn't go away. Now I'm stuck with it.

EDIT - Ok, I was able to get rid of it by choosing to sync bookmarks with IE in iTunes, syncing the phone, then turning off the option and resyncing. I had to redo my bookmarks, but I didn't have that many anyway.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
ilr5IcEmCtsBD.png

Yep.

Link

The Autumn Wind
After very quickly messing around with it, it's a bit unintuitive. Maybe I just need to get used to it, but I'm not a big fan of the YouTube app either, which uses a similar UI.

Sarye

surprised navigation is included. The UI is a little wonky though. I'm not sure if I like it, but I'll definitely use this for POI searches

Quick

Banned
Has anybody had their Calendar screwed up after the 6.0.1 update? All of a sudden, I have my friends' birthdays on it in multiple lines in list view. The birthdays toggle keeps switching itself back on, even though I already unchecked it. Facebook isn't connected to my calendars either.

I wish the camera roll would auto delete if photos were uploaded to my photo stream
That defeats the whole purpose, which is to make sure your photos are on all your devices. Photo Stream is not permanent online storage like Picasa or Dropbox, it deletes your photos after 30 days.

Noema

So basically, don't put sex tapes and naked pictures on your phone. It was so easy on Android to hide stuff...

I use an App called WebAlbums for that sort of stuff. It syncs with my Picasa and / or Facebook albums and it can be password protected.

RBH

How does the iPhone 4 perform on iOS6?

Thinking about finally updating my iPhone 4 from 5.1 to iOS6 now that the Google Maps app is out.

lupinko

How does the iPhone 4 perform on iOS6?

Thinking about finally updating my iPhone 4 from 5.1 to iOS6 now that the Google Maps app is out.

It runs really well from when I had it on both beta and the final release. Just know that you don't get the full iOS6 feature set (mainly Maps' options but you have Google Maps now so w/e).

Jubern

We don't have panorama mode with the camera either. And I think that's pretty much it?

My iPhone 4 runs pretty well on iOS 6, I don't think it's any worse than it was on iOS5, except maybe for the store.

Quick

Banned
We don't have panorama mode with the camera either. And I think that's pretty much it?

My iPhone 4 runs pretty well on iOS 6, I don't think it's any worse than it was on iOS5, except maybe for the store.

Pretty much.

And there's a Photosynth or 360 Panorama for panoramas anyway.

Bo-Locks

iOS6 is definitely one of the worst and most troublesome versions of iOS that I've ever used. Aside from the constant dropping of wifi, the virtually unusable App store, the terrible maps, and general sluggishness, I think it might even somehow have rendered my old iPad 2 unusable.

I gave the iPad 2 to my girlfriend when I ungraded, and it functioned perfectly. During the wifi update to iOS6, the update somehow failed and the iPad was stuck in a constant rebooting cycle that was a bitch to get it out of. But eventually I fixed it. It then worked perfectly (aside from the numerous bugs and diabolical services outlined above) for another few months, but now it has become unusable again.

After a random period of between about 2-20 minutes, the iPad will just crash and reboot. This happens every time, which means that it is essentially useless. I have tried resetting, restoring, and rebooting it, but it makes no difference. I think it might in fact be a hardware problem, and at this point I'm only keeping hold of it to wait for an update, or to jailbreak it (not currently possible) to see if it makes any difference.

The issue with the iPad seems to have cleared up. I noticed that the time taken for the iPad to crash and reboot seemed to correlate with the amount of time the ipad was previously switched on for. So because the iPad was stuck in a cycle of rebooting, it kept doing it every 5 minutes or so. I left it alone on standby for a few days and now it appears to be fine again.

Thankfully it's fine again, but it was ios 6 that was causing the problem. Such a strange issue, too.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Alright, Apple.
Listen up, goddamn it. When you enter wiggly mode in the task manager to kill apps if you hold onto any apps red cancel button it should prompt to quit all simultaneously. I have a ram constrained iPad mini and it absolutely makes a difference in how smooth a game runs. It a chore tapping "close" 15 times in a row.

Majine

Banned
Alright, Apple.
Listen up, goddamn it. When you enter wiggly mode in the task manager to kill apps if you hold onto any apps red cancel button it should prompt to quit all simultaneously. I have a ram constrained iPad mini and it absolutely makes a difference in how smooth a game runs. It a chore tapping "close" 15 times in a row.

I'm surprised such a core functionality as closing active programs is such a chore. My father didn't even know you could do that.

bonesquad

I'm surprised such a core functionality as closing active programs is such a chore. My father didn't even know you could do that.

But it's not a list of "active" programs. It's just a list of the most recently used. iOS doesn't have true multitasking. All those apps are in a suspended state. There are a few exceptions; apps using location data, playing music, or downloading in the background within a 15 minute window. Other than that there's no reason to bother closing apps because doing so does nothing, except maybe when you want to force reset an app.

Any Chrome users here? Anytime I open video from that browser the sound is always way too low. Just wondering if it was just me.

I have that issue too. The problem is that the sound is coming from the phone's top "ear" speaker and not the usual bottom speaker, and I don't know why.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I know that's the way they say it hold work, but quitting apps makes hexagon run smoother. Reiterating Apple's rhetoric doesn't help anyone. I don't know why or how, I used to be the guy scoffing at friends who'd manage their multitasking bar. But the results speak for themselves. Either way, the fact that ideally you shouldn't have to do something very often is no excuse for how cumbersome the task is to accomplish.

Also, can we have a scintillating discussion on the way highlighting is done in iBooks in relation to copy/selecting in all other apps. Please?

bonesquad

I'm glad to be of such help, even if I was replying to someone else just to point out the apps aren't generally active. Yes, closing apps can potentially help performance and battery life, but 99% of the time it should do nothing. If you are consistently seeing otherwise, then something is wrong. That app has issues, or maybe there is another app you use that crashes or goes rouge more often than it should.

Top Bottom