• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

I'm not worried about the default map detail, I want someone to test the business search. Like search for "pizza" or something using iOS 5 and 6.

0XOKm.jpg

vsrar.png

Enco

yeah it lists what cinemas are close by

but for showtime info it says "i cant get showtime info for xx" - the xx being the street i live on

No, it doesn't work for me.

It's weird, it knows my location as close as 10 house numbers... but doesn't seem to want to find my local cinema, then find showtimes.

It will find the local cinema if I ask just for that, though. Very bizarre.
Hmm that's a bit odd.

Hopefully they improve it by release.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Really disappointed in the new maps.

Aerial images are absolute fucking garbage and it has no street view / no 3D in my area.
Pretty much completely useless. I mean, this is how my city looks right now on my ipad.

Compared to google maps, where I can zoom in so far I can almost make out car's license plates, crystal clear.

Siri finally works properly in Canada. Good.

Is Passbook actually doing anything for anyone, or is it just a placeholder for now?

Looks like it is just a placeholder. What's odd is that if you go to the App Store, a bunch of the apps under the "Whats Hot" are all apps that were shown as integrating with Passbook (Amtrack, United, Target, Starbucks, and more).

Aerial images are absolute fucking garbage and it has no street view / no 3D in my area.
Pretty much completely useless. I mean, this is how my city looks right now on my ipad.

Compared to google maps, where I can zoom in so far I can almost make out car's license plates, crystal clear.

That is woeful.

Enco

Wow at the comparison Hoo-doo.

That's really really awful. Guess I'll be downloading the Google Maps app too.

Apple Maps looks brilliant in normal map view and for the awesome business info/reviews but it seems crappy for any real detail.

Apple Maps looks brilliant in normal map view and for the awesome business info/reviews but it seems crappy for any real detail.
To be fair they'll obviously work on it a lot more before and after release. I would assume they would work to add better satellite photos in the future.

As long as it doesn't have public transportation directions I'll definitely be using the Google Maps app as well. Turn by turn driving directions are great, but doesn't really help me in NYC.

So I have a few basic questions that are really hard to find the answer to.

1. Now that I have seen the entire presentation I saw that maps are international but have they made a list of countries available to see with country is supported?

Sire has now international local search, so for every country that has IOS6 than or just for the supported languages countries?
Because now here in Holland, you can use siri in English, but if you want to look up a place or weather or anything that requires a "place" it says it does not support that.

2. So I want to know can I use siri local search in Holland with English voice now with IOS6.

3. And is it confirmed that turn by turn is usable outside of the USA?

4. Been confirmed yet that tomtom is the provider for turn by turn and also traffic updates?
quoted for new page.

Also @Hoo-doo that is what I expected for Holland and I'll bet a lot of other countries apple mainly cars about USA and China now because those are the biggest and where they can make most of their money.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The new maps aren't that bad in my area, surprisingly. I live in the sticks in the UK, too.

Fully zoomed in I can make out houses very easily. Quality is probably on par with what Google Maps had 6-7 years ago, which is about right for a first revision.

The important thing is that Apple continuously improve it and not waiting for iOS versions every year.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Yeah no kidding. I used to love to check maps before I went somewhere new, to check out the area, look around in street view for orientation and easier traveling. I guess that's not happening anytime soon.

Enco

As long as it doesn't have public transportation directions I'll definitely be using the Google Maps app as well. Turn by turn driving directions are great, but doesn't really help me in NYC.
Forgot about that.

Yea the public transportation is pretty vital.

People realise it's a closed developer beta right?
Yes but they only have 3 ish months to improve quite a lot.

I don't doubt that it'll get better though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Allright, I'll keep my pessimism to a minimum.

I really hope apple decides to spend a few bucks on proper aerial images soon.

Tobor

Everyone will have their own set of priorities. I have never used transit directions.

The satellite pic is ugly as well, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've used that or street view. I need to look up businesses and addresses, and get driving directions. That's pretty much it.

Most of the map data is passed over to the phone via servers, which means that much of that data may not be in place yet until the system officially launches in October. Hopefully by then they'll have filled in more images.

Quite honestly though, I seldom, if ever, use the satellite views. I've used it to show off what it can do to friends, but that's about it. I'm much more interested in detailed and accurate maps, and turn-by-turn, then I am satellite views. I do admit that Street View comes in handy from time to time however and I'll miss walking/mass transit directions until they get them patched in.

kinggroin

Banned
I'm sure maps, like siri initially, will be functional but very light on features.

I expect that by ios 7, it'll have improved as much as siri has in the same time frame ; -)

Baby steps guys, baby steps.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Forgot about that.

Yea the public transportation is pretty vital.

Yes but they only have 3 ish months to improve quite a lot.

I don't doubt that it'll get better though.

Were you participating in the dev betas of iOS 5? It was pretty brutally bugged and missed features some people in this thread would call critical right up until the GM release. iOS 4 before that was no different.

Overall I imagine the iOS 6 beta programme will be no different either.
In regards to Map quality, it makes perfect sense not to have everything online before the system launches that isn't key for the testing purposes of the current beta build, months in advance.

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone else waiting for them to do something with Spotlight? With the whole Siri app launching integration, isn't it more useless than ever? I don't know anyone who even uses it, tbh.

Movie times via Siri are nice, but it seems stupid that it can't book me tickets as well. You can get reservations for restaurants via OpenTable, so why no movie tickets via Fandango? Even if all it does is launch the app so you can submit the payment, that would still be better than just showing me times and not letting me do anything with them.

Movie times via Siri are nice, but it seems stupid that it can't book me tickets as well. You can get reservations for restaurants via OpenTable, so why no movie tickets via Fandango? Even if all it does is launch the app so you can submit the payment, that would still be better than just showing me times and not letting me do anything with them.

I expect that fandango will be integrated into Siri sooner than later, especially since that was one of the programs that they showed off as part of Passbook.

Enco

Were you participating in the dev betas of iOS 5? It was pretty brutally bugged and missed features some people in this thread would call critical right up until the GM release. iOS 4 before that was no different.

Overall I imagine the iOS 6 beta programme will be no different either.
In regards to Map quality, it makes perfect sense not to have everything online before the system launches that isn't key for the testing purposes of the current beta build, months in advance.
I wasn't no. I did hear about how it was buggy though.

Tobor

Anyone else waiting for them to do something with Spotlight? With the whole Siri app launching integration, isn't it more useless than ever? I don't know anyone who even uses it, tbh.

Do what? It does what it's supposed to do. I use it to search for contacts.

Siri is pretty smart about sports scores though. Check this out:

Yjh99.jpg

It was smart enough to:

1) Know that I am talking about hockey only by me mentioning the Stanley Cup.

2) Pull up the score from last night's game.

3) Realize that this victory for the Kings (over my childhood favorite Devils) won them the cup.

mf.luder

She's in beta right now. Hopefully Apple hasn't shown all their cards yet. What I'm really hoping for is transit and from the way Forstall was talking, it is coming and it will be integrated with other apps.

Suhweet.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I use Maps quite heavily, so I'm really hoping it's improved at least Google's standard.

I do like the extraneous details that are given, I've discovered some nice parks and business that way from just browsing.

joshlee

So the maps app crashed for me every time I attempted to search last night. But today it works perfectly. So does apple have the ability to implement bug fixes all stealth like during the beta period?

andycapps

Everyone will have their own set of priorities. I have never used transit directions.

The satellite pic is ugly as well, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've used that or street view. I need to look up businesses and addresses, and get driving directions. That's pretty much it.

I used the transit directions in NYC when I was visiting, and it was a lifesaver there. So long as the actual navigation is rock solid for me then I'm good. Though if Google Maps and Navigation is on there when the new iPhone is out, I'd rather use it.

It's going to take a while for Apple to get their stuff anywhere approaching what Google has. But it's a start, and competing apps are always good. Means more features for the end user.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Siri is pretty smart about sports scores though. Check this out:

Yjh99.jpg

It was smart enough to:

1) Know that I am talking about hockey only by me mentioning the Stanley Cup.

2) Pull up the score from last night's game.

3) Realize that this victory for the Kings (over my childhood favorite Devils) won them the cup.

But doesn't know who the habs are :p

Hoo-doo

Banned
Is Amsterdam like this too? If so i can't wait for google maps to show up on appstore. Apple is doing a very weird move with changing from google to tomtom.

Actually, I spoke too soon.
Eindhoven is a complete blurry mess like the picture I posted before, but Utrecht or Amsterdam for example are not that bad.

It seems they just have really spotty coverage in terms of high-res aerial images or maybe Eindhoven is just cursed. Who knows!

Dartastic

My phone seems to be stuck at the apple logo with a progress bar on the bottom. Anyone else have this problem?

Also, if someone could send me a link to the 6.0 firmware again, that'd be appreciated.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I liked the map features they've shown on the keynote but yeah, looks like it will be useless for me for quite a while (I live in a city northwest of Rio de Janeiro, looking at Hoo-doo's comparison I'm expecting something close to a black screen here). Hopefully the Google app won't take long to be released.

You look like you are in Germany plus this is in beta

Top Bottom