• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

DarkJC

It's not "Apple rhetoric", you can Google videos and read technical papers describing exactly the process of how iOS multitasking works in detail.

gblues

Banned
I know that's the way they say it hold work, but quitting apps makes hexagon run smoother. Reiterating Apple's rhetoric doesn't help anyone. I don't know why or how, I used to be the guy scoffing at friends who'd manage their multitasking bar. But the results speak for themselves. Either way, the fact that ideally you shouldn't have to do something very often is no excuse for how cumbersome the task is to accomplish.

That's probably more to do with available RAM. Background applications don't use any processing time, but they do consume memory. Manually closing them frees up the memory, and that's why the performance improves--not because you're somehow freeing up clock cycles.

mrkgoo

That's probably more to do with available RAM. Background applications don't use any processing time, but they do consume memory. Manually closing them frees up the memory, and that's why the performance improves--not because you're somehow freeing up clock cycles.

Regardless, it's not so clear cut as "99% of the time it does nothing".

I understand the system, but it can help to manage your memory a little at times.

The number of processes running on iOS 6, I've noticed is a lot more than previous.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
My iPhone doesn't find the update but my iPad mini did.

Spoiler: Add "via transit" to the end of your Siri dictation.

And I meant to say 98% of the time. Hopefully that clears up all confusion.
One comment brings up an interesting point. It's actually faster just to unlock the phone and launch Google Maps then speak the destination yourself. With this method you still have to touch the screen. Hell, even with Apple's Maps from Siri you still have to confirm.

hirokazu

Sooo manyyyy betas, just put it out already }:(

I suspect they'll be introducing some secret feature that's currently absent from the betas they release to devs. Or maybe they just want to take this long for a release who biggest user-facing change is a better designed lock screen when playing music, I don't know.

Oppo

Regardless, it's not so clear cut as "99% of the time it does nothing".

I understand the system, but it can help to manage your memory a little at times.

The number of processes running on iOS 6, I've noticed is a lot more than previous.

Only for intensive games. Super Hexagon shouldn't be intensive but it is, for some reason.

Forget quitting the apps, just reboot the thing if you want every bit of performance before you play a game, that's frankly better.

jts

...hate me...
I suspect they'll be introducing some secret feature that's currently absent from the betas they release to devs. Or maybe they just want to take this long for a release who biggest user-facing change is a better designed lock screen when playing music, I don't know.
I want it for 3 things.

The new lock screen music player.
6.1 reportedly adds LTE support for my local network, so that's big.
Navigation's voice has a weird bug in my language, but I'm not sure if it's going to be fixed or if it's even reported already.

Everything else is gravy.

oh and there's that Safari bug as well I want fixed

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is google maps website suddenly not working well on iPad? Can't seem to properly search for a location and get directions.

It told me there was an app but its iPhone only with terrible blocky text and graphics

Had to boot my laptop up just to look up some place and do street view

Ashhong

You know, I think I actually prefer Apple maps sometimes. I was just in vegas and the Apple maps was much better. The interface is cleaner, nicer, and it showed some nice POI. The problem I have with it is that I cant move around the map while in navigation, unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to move it? Seems like a stupid oversight..

Jonogunn

You know, I think I actually prefer Apple maps sometimes. I was just in vegas and the Apple maps was much better. The interface is cleaner, nicer, and it showed some nice POI. The problem I have with it is that I cant move around the map while in navigation, unless I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to move it? Seems like a stupid oversight..

Ya I also like the look of apple maps over google maps. Google is going with this yea white with thin light grey bars that you can barely see to separate information. Dun like it.

Also apple maps integration into the OS especially when using turn by turn navigation is top notch b

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
When have they ever done that with a minor update..?

Apple is the kind to sit on shit until the next major release instead of getting it out to consumers ASAP.

Ok this is getting annoying. I have a MacBook Pro , iPhone 4S and now an iPad Mini. Why won't all my contacts connect to one another? Some contacts are shown up on my phone but not my MacBook or my iPad. Isn't iCloud supposed to sync everything up nicely?

mrkgoo

Ok this is getting annoying. I have a MacBook Pro , iPhone 4S and now an iPad Mini. Why won't all my contacts connect to one another? Some contacts are shown up on my phone but not my MacBook or my iPad. Isn't iCloud supposed to sync everything up nicely?
Do you use Facebook contacts?

mrkgoo

I do. On my phone they're combined.
Sure, but Facebook contacts don't necessarily sync via icloud. For example I turn on Facebook contacts on my mac so they're all there, but on my phone I don't so Facebook contacts are missing (I don't want to have a bunch of ransoms on my contacts on phone).

His may or may not be part of your issue, but just letting you know.

Sure, but Facebook contacts don't necessarily sync via icloud. For example I turn on Facebook contacts on my mac so they're all there, but on my phone I don't so Facebook contacts are missing (I don't want to have a bunch of ransoms on my contacts on phone).

His may or may not be part of your issue, but just letting you know.

There is a way to use FB contacts and only have contacts that you already have in your address book be displayed so that you don't have all of your random FB friends clogging up your contact list.

Well for example my girlfriends name didn't show up on my iPad. But the thing is, she doesn't have her phone number on Facebook. Shouldn't iCkoud have synced her number from my iPhone?

Well for example my girlfriends name didn't show up on my iPad. But the thing is, she doesn't have her phone number on Facebook. Shouldn't iCkoud have synced her number from my iPhone?

I think every device has to have FB syncing turned on and each device does it individually. The only thing iCloud syncs is the info that you edit in your contacts by hand. So say for example you change someone's phone number in your iPhone, it should also change on your iPad and Mac via iCloud, but if you sync your FB info on your iPhone, iCloud won't sync that info across all your devices. You's also have to manually sync your iPad and manually sync your Mac.

Ashhong

Check your iCloud contacts on Safari or whatever and see if her number is there. You manually inserted her number into your phone? Those are the only contacts iCloud will sync I believe.

Quick

Banned
I'm assuming POI is referring to points of interest, where Foursquare's data could fill up Apple Maps with missing places (restaurants, stores, businesses, etc.).

mrkgoo

There is a way to use FB contacts and only have contacts that you already have in your address book be displayed so that you don't have all of your random FB friends clogging up your contact list.

Eh, it doesn't bug me either way, I just don't need random FB people on my phone. It reminds me that I actually have a bunch of old deprecated contacts I should delete.

Why cant they allow me to put unlimited apps into a folder?!?!?!?!?!?1111

That's something that seems strange to me and is one of the first things I fix whenever I jailbreak a device. It does keep me from keeping a bunch of games that I don't even play though.

MasLegio

Banned
Customization is always a tricky thing. Just look at the Android threads, sometimes you have to protect users from their awful taste.

nope, it is not tricky. You just have to set the level of customization. I just want the ability to colour code my folders and/or having a generic icon on them instead of having them looking ugly as fuck (thanks Apple!) with lots of small icons on them.

It's really hard to argue that Apple's solution isn't in awful taste itself now.

At least it's consistently ugly.
KuGsj.gif

dorkimoe

did 6.02 fix the data connection bug? 6.01 was supposed to fix it, but I still will be browsing the internet or whatever and it just drops down to no service for about 15 seconds then reconnects.

Its the 4th iphone 5 i have had so it can't be the device

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
That's something that seems strange to me and is one of the first things I fix whenever I jailbreak a device. It does keep me from keeping a bunch of games that I don't even play though.
It makes even less sense that you can't fit at least one more row in them when there's PERFECTLY ENOUGH room to add an extra row. You can fit 16 icons on the home screen, but 12 in a folder. (Older iPhones) Bullshit. I don't care about scrolling, just give me that extra row!

Top Bottom