• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

mrkgoo

CunVr.png

Example A.

Why aren't both Joshes on iCloud/iMessage?!??!?!?

I'm not saying you're not having issues, but are you suing iMEssage to highlight that Josh Bush is not in your contacts on your mac?

Just curious as to why you're showing iMessage.

Anyway, I had some issues syncing right at the beginning when I first got my iPhone 5, but I guess it was still syncing, as eventually it worked.
Are contacts missing from both devices, or are all contacts just missing from one? That would be first question. It if it's all one, then you know where the issue may lie - could be that devices is not syncing, or maybe a view not showing certain contacts?

I'm not saying you're not having issues, but are you suing iMEssage to highlight that Josh Bush is not in your contacts on your mac?

Just curious as to why you're showing iMessage.

Anyway, I had some issues syncing right at the beginning when I first got my iPhone 5, but I guess it was still syncing, as eventually it worked.
Are contacts missing from both devices, or are all contacts just missing from one? That would be first question. It if it's all one, then you know where the issue may lie - could be that devices is not syncing, or maybe a view not showing certain contacts?

I added Josh Bush onto my phone, which is connected to iCloud. Shouldn't it sync up straight to all my devices? The other Josh on iMessage doesn't even have an iOS device so I can't even message him there.

mrkgoo

I added Josh Bush onto my phone, which is connected to iCloud. Shouldn't it sync up straight to all my devices? The other Josh on iMessage doesn't even have an iOS device so I can't even message him there.

Have you opened up contacts on your Mac to see if Josh Bush has been added there? Sometimes opening it up bumps the sync. It's possible the mac is not on push (though I assume it is, since I haven't found options for that on a Mac - on the phone, you can set push or fetch).

I deselected and reselected the sync on my Mac, and it shows up on my Contacts but iMessage is still wonky and won't find him.

*EDIT*
I just ended up deleting everything and resyncing.... now everything works

mrkgoo

I deselected and reselected the sync on my Mac, and it shows up on my Contacts but iMessage is still wonky and won't find him.

*EDIT*
I just ended up deleting everything and resyncing.... now everything works

Nothing like turning it off and on again, right? ;)

hirokazu

Well for example my girlfriends name didn't show up on my iPad. But the thing is, she doesn't have her phone number on Facebook. Shouldn't iCkoud have synced her number from my iPhone?

You may have it recorded under On My Mac. You have to move it to the iCloud section. It's designed this way so that users have flexibility if there's some things they don't want in the cloud.

hirokazu

I'm assuming POI is referring to points of interest, where Foursquare's data could fill up Apple Maps with missing places (restaurants, stores, businesses, etc.).

I hope that turns up on iOS 6.1, Yelp isn't very popular in Australia; it's mostly used to check in to restaurants, but even then, there's a huge amount of restaurants listed in Foursquare that aren't listed on Yelp. This would help fill in Apple's POI data a lot, but it'll be quite an effort to reconcile duplicates if they continue to use Yelp as well...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I really wish they'd add the ability for Notes on iOS to read Text Edit documents stored in the cloud and for Pictures to view images and files uploaded from Preview. Right now you can only access them Mac to Mac. Let's close the circle. If not built-into existing apps, maybe new ones. Downloadable of course because the last thing we need is more apps we can't remove from our devices and have to put in folders.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just noticed Sentry's mockup is becoming real http://vrge.co/WtRkyL Looks really nice.
Fuck me sideways. Apple needs to buy this. Hire the developer. MAKE THIS PART OF iOS 7. It works so much better. So much smoother. So much more intuitively than what we have.

If I had to change one thing, and this is a thing I have wanted since iOS came out, is that when double pressing Home the audio controls would come down from the top instead of needing to be swiped to. Like how they show up on the Lock screen when the device is locked. They'd show up in the same place. It would make more sense.

But other than that, the quick toggle options are really really important. I wish I could turn off 3G since I'm on Virgin and their 3G is pretty much death for my data connection. Edge works. 3G does not. But I can't turn the 3G antenna off and just stay on Edge so every time my phone goes on 3G I find myself waving my phone and running all over the place to get it to switch back to Edge. So a toggle would be amazing. Especially since I can't even turn it off anyway.

I would Jailbreak my phone for this. Maybe. I dunno.

not a fan of those cards but wow, sentry's ideas are so beautifully laid out. i would kill for those wifi & brightness toggles.

also, going from ipad safari to iphone safari sucks. why doesnt the iphone safari scroll as smoothly :/

edit: nvm, just saw the swipe-to-close function. this is badass.

Ashhong

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but what would happen if I used the erase all content option on a jailbroken iphone? I have an old 3G with a broken home button, and I dont want to do a normal restore because I dont think I would be able to jailbreak it without the home button.

Unless theres a jailbreak app out there that lets me do it without the home button..

ecurbj

It varies. It can be text messages, pictures from text messages, game saves, notepad, reminders, the OS information, it can be corrupted files.

That's generally what "Other" is. And to get rid of it. You will have to delete the above and to restore your iPhone as new to get rid of it. But it will just feel up again when the above happens.

Wiz

When I updated to 6.0.2 the other day, I noticed all my Exchange emails in the Mail app were gone from my inbox. Newer ones are coming in though. The old ones haven't been erased, I just can't see them in the app.

What gives?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
When I updated to 6.0.2 the other day, I noticed all my Exchange emails in the Mail app were gone from my inbox. Newer ones are coming in though. The old ones haven't been erased, I just can't see them in the app.

What gives?

Check the email settings, maybe your amount to sync was reduced?

cbox

Updating to 6.0.2 seems to have noticably increased battery drain for me, i never had wifi issues so i regret updating :(

Same with me, my ip4 used to get about 2.5 days of heavy use without me charging, now I can watch the % drain by 10's when using safari only. I do not play games on my phone. Could be the battery getting old too, I suppose.

hirokazu

Same with me, my ip4 used to get about 2.5 days of heavy use without me charging, now I can watch the % drain by 10's when using safari only. I do not play games on my phone. Could be the battery getting old too, I suppose.
I thought 6.0.2 was only issued to iPhone 5 and late 2012 iPads.

Loki

Count of Concision
Can someone give a quick bullet point list of the pros and especially the cons of upgrading to IOS 6 right now? I have an iPhone 4 and still haven't made the jump, mostly due to the google maps debacle, but I'm wondering if folks have noticed other issues. Thanks.

Can someone give a quick bullet point list of the pros and especially the cons of upgrading to IOS 6 right now? I have an iPhone 4 and still haven't made the jump, mostly due to the google maps debacle, but I'm wondering if folks have noticed other issues. Thanks.

Maps shouldn't be an issue anymore, now that Google released their Maps app.

Enco

No issues.

iTunes Match was ruined (can't delete or download single songs) but it should be fixed in the next update. Why was it ruined? I have no idea. Complete nonsense.

dyls

No issues.

iTunes Match was ruined (can't delete or download single songs) but it should be fixed in the next update. Why was it ruined? I have no idea. Complete nonsense.

I've wondered why as well. The only thing I can think is that Apple pays out money every time a song is downloaded from match. So for the more anal users who would immediately delete every song only to download them again later (and again and again), Apple would have to make multiple payments for no good reason.

It's a little far fetched that there are enough such users considering the download price is something like $.004 per song, but it's the best that I can come up with.

What's most annoying is that it's supposed to smartly clear space as needed so as to be invisible to the user, but I just had a situation where I didn't have enough space to update the Pages app and had no way to clear out individual songs to make room. It should have automatically cleared out older songs to make room.

Agent_J

Updating to 6.0.2 seems to have noticably increased battery drain for me, i never had wifi issues so i regret updating :(
after the update i finally reached over 10 hours of usage on my phone in a single battery charge. that's never happened in the past 2 months of ownership. something got fixed :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've wondered why as well. The only thing I can think is that Apple pays out money every time a song is downloaded from match. So for the more anal users who would immediately delete every song only to download them again later (and again and again), Apple would have to make multiple payments for no good reason.

It's a little far fetched that there are enough such users considering the download price is something like $.004 per song, but it's the best that I can come up with.

What's most annoying is that it's supposed to smartly clear space as needed so as to be invisible to the user, but I just had a situation where I didn't have enough space to update the Pages app and had no way to clear out individual songs to make room. It should have automatically cleared out older songs to make room.

If it doesn't clear out on it's own you can delete the music via the settings, in General > Usage > Music.

Top Bottom