• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

noah111

Still Alive
I'm sure it has been mentioned but the landscape fullscreen in Safari is a pretty clear indicator of them elongating the screen soon (4" 16:9), since it would look very weird otherwise.

SuperPac

Why skimp on features for iOS then go ahead and release a full-featured app in their app store?

Wasn't the Maps app always Apple's? Yes it used Google's mapping data but I'd been lead to believe from numerous Apple observers and pundits that Google didn't have much (if any) control over the actual app itself.

I'm sure it has been mentioned but the landscape fullscreen in Safari is a pretty clear indicator of them elongating the screen soon (4" 16:9), since it would look very weird otherwise.
The day they announce the 16:9 iPhone, my iPhone goes up on Craigslist.

Tobor

Wasn't the Maps app always Apple's? Yes it used Google's mapping data but I'd been lead to believe from numerous Apple observers and pundits that Google didn't have much (if any) control over the actual app itself.

They had restrictions over what they could do with the data as well, which is why there's been no turn by turn until now.

KingKong

for those running iOS 6, does Photo Stream now let you manually select photos to upload or does it still automatically upload everything in the camera roll?

2pzpv.png

New app content shows in same view.

Sean

Banned
Is Amsterdam like this too? If so i can't wait for google maps to show up on appstore. Apple is doing a very weird move with changing from google to tomtom.

It's a shitty situation for users but there's nothing "weird" about it. Google screwed them over by withholding turn by turn directions in order to keep it as a selling point of Android phones. Apple realized they couldn't depend on a competitor for a crucial part of the OS and now they're building their own.

The app store updates are so great. Not needing to leave the store to update, not needing to input password for updates, and if you already have an app installed the "buy/install" button changes to "open" so you can open the app directly from the store. Just so much better, all around.

RJM77

They had restrictions over what they could do with the data as well, which is why there's been no turn by turn until now.

I'd read that Apple wouldn't allow Google to have any Google branding on the iOS Maps app, like calling the app Google Maps. And of course Google wouldn't want Apple to have presumed ownership of a Maps app that used Google's work. So that's why the iOS Maps app has been so stagnant.

Really disappointed in the new maps.

Aerial images are absolute fucking garbage and it has no street view / no 3D in my area.
Pretty much completely useless. I mean, this is how my city looks right now on my ipad.

Compared to google maps, where I can zoom in so far I can almost make out car's license plates, crystal clear.

looks like they are just using the free landsat stuff. Its probably going to be that way for most of the world outside of the US. 6inch aerials be expensive yo.

Vyer

Really disappointed in the new maps.

Aerial images are absolute fucking garbage and it has no street view / no 3D in my area.
Pretty much completely useless. I mean, this is how my city looks right now on my ipad.

Compared to google maps, where I can zoom in so far I can almost make out car's license plates, crystal clear.

Is that Google Maps loaded in the browser? My iPad Maps don't look like that.

I'd read that Apple wouldn't allow Google to have any Google branding on the iOS Maps app. And of course Google wouldn't want Apple to have presumed ownership of a Maps app that used Google's work. So that's why the iOS Maps app has been so stagnant.

It says Google right on the map in the Maps app.

Blackhead

Redarse
Elaborate.
WSJ said:
Apple executives also wanted to include Google's turn-by-turn-navigation service in the iPhone—a feature popular with Android users because it lets people treat their phones as in-car GPS devices. Google wouldn't allow it, according to people on both sides. One of these people said Google viewed Apple's terms as unfair.

Vyer

Nah, as I said, apparently it's very random here in the Netherlands.
Some areas look respectable and others look like complete garbage.

No, I mean the zooming and street view icons in the corner aren't on the standard Maps app. Just curious if Maps is different in different countries, though I thought the app layout was pretty much the same anywhere.

Dartastic

Suddenly on my mac I've lost like, 5 gigs of space and I'm not sure why. Where are the backups of this crap so I can delete some of this stuff?

btkadams

so, siri's full function works in canada now? (based on stump's post) awesome!

would anyone mind checking out downtown calgary, canada in maps and flyover for me (screenshots pweaaase)? i'm curious as to whether flyover even exists for it and how detailed the regular map is.

this address is in the centre of downtown: 401 9 Avenue Southwest, Calgary, AB

thanks in advance to anyone that does this. i know there are a lot of requests.

noah111

Still Alive
I wonder if they'll ever make the genius feature work with movie/tv shows and even apps, like a 'find similar' option.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Apple have changed the look of the keyboard just enough for you to notice, but not enough to be sure what they changed... kind of weird to look at. I can tell it's different, but can't pinpoint what they changed. Haha

rozay

Banned
Apple have changed the look of the keyboard just enough for you to notice, but not enough to be sure what they changed... kind of weird to look at. I can tell it's different, but can't pinpoint what they changed. Haha
screenshot?

Majine

Banned
Best new feature is the one that makes it so all the other features stop fucking bothering you.

Pretty much. I mean, I turn off the volume whenever I go to bed (but it happens that I forget) but it's nice to have something in the OS like that.

Nothing else really peaks my interest. Maybe the Facebook integration, but dunno.

OMFG Siri works over Bluetooth in my car. Did not over iOS5. Just have to hold home button and automatically turns on car microphone.

However. When using turn by turn it did not come through car via Bluetooth when I was not on the "Bluetooth Audio" setting.

BUT, directions and turn by turn worked flawlessly.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)

You know, I live in the area and it took me a while to figure out that the maps icon is based on Apple/Cupertino. Felt sooo stupid

Is there a list of incompatible apps so far with the beta? I know Downcast is one and apparently they are working to update it

Hoo-doo

Banned
Air Video isn't working on the iOS 6 beta. Anyone else out there with the app that can verify this?

If so, i'm going back to 5.1.1 again tonight.

Top Bottom