• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Nevasleep

Probably already posted, but google maps doesn't open maps application, it loads website instead and shows how to save to homescreen.
Pretty obvious why.

Also no streetview, no go for me.

Shearie

Posting this again even though iOS 6 Beta GAF hates me and doesn't want to answer my question.

A question to anyone in the beta; when "Do Not Disturb" is on and you get a call, will the call not interrupt what you're doing anymore or does it just silence the ring? I'll be very disappointed if it's just the latter.

Holy Wars

Banned
Oh man the new Maps app is so bad. I know I'm late to the party on this but wow.

Overall iOS 6 doesn't really have much that interests me. It's certainly no iOS 5.

numble

What mapping app doesn't do this?

There's a freeway entrance there.. are there any mapping apps that actually draw a tiny line exactly around the entrance? (for phones)
2012-06-12_0.jpg

Anyone else's Maps crash when trying to enter a a start and/or end destination? The first letter I enter just crashes the app for me. :\

Kind of pissed that turn-by-turn navigation won't make it to the iphone 4. First Siri, now maps. Is it really that hard to keep my phone current for the two years it is under contract?

Kind of pissed that turn-by-turn navigation won't make it to the iphone 4. First Siri, now maps. Is it really that hard to keep my phone current for the two years it is under contract?
By the time iOS 6 comes out you'll have had your iPhone for 2 years. There ya go.

Edit: Wait nvm lol. I'm dumb.

Appleman

Posting this again even though iOS 6 Beta GAF hates me and doesn't want to answer my question.

Just tried it without changing any do not disturb settings and browsing the internet and the call appeared to come in as normal, taking over the phone and vibrating (silent switch was on).

Choc

Banned
can i seriously not get sattelite images on the ipad 2?

edit: also can someone please try this with a siri enabled pad/phone

"what was the last manchester city score"

i wanna know if it knows the premier league

BigDug13

can i seriously not get sattelite images on the ipad 2?

edit: also can someone please try this with a siri enabled pad/phone

"what was the last manchester city score"

i wanna know if it knows the premier league

Wait, what? Isn't the ipad 2 more powerful for its resolution than the ipad 3 is for its resolution?

Tobor

They're already laying the groundwork. Between iOS messaging/facetime/camera roll comments they're heading there. I do really like their osx/ios notification merging.

Those data centers apple has been building aren't just for picture swapping. They're doing a very good job of creating a proper platform. Social is a big part of staying afloat for any company, purely for the data points they provide for further advancement of software.

Ping looks like it's finally being put out of it's misery and the dude from AllThingsD sees it the same way I do:

Sources close to the company say that Ping, which still exists today in iTunes 10.6.3 and the iOS 6 beta — where it doesn’t work, will be gone with the software’s next major release, likely scheduled for this fall. And at that point Apple’s social networking offerings will shift to Twitter and new partner Facebook entirely.

Which makes perfect sense.

At this point, years into the social networking phenomenon, why not leave the social stuff to the social people who are good at it? Apple might be great at software and hardware, but its skills in creating a social network are sorely lacking. So much so that it’s not even bothering to salvage Ping with the help of the folks at Facebook, a company that might have improved the service’s chances of success had it been on board for its launch.

http://allthingsd.com/20120612/apples-ping-to-end-with-a-thud-in-next-release-of-itunes/

Fatalah

Ping looks like it's finally being put out of it's misery and the dude from AllThingsD sees it the same way I do:

Spotify has established itself pretty quickly by leveraging Facebook. Apple has to fend off the competition by using Facebook too, there's no time to waste.

btkadams

seems cool. maps is completely useless though, so i'm not sure i'll put it on my phone (despite it running very well on my iPad).

the sims free play isn't working so i think i might downgrade. it's my favourite iPad app haha.

it's nice having full siri support in canada, but it seems like to gets what i'm saying wrong a lot now. it definitely wasn't the case before. i'll have to test it out more. siri in ios6 is buggy regardless though. i'll have to send some feedback to apple about it. for example, i'd write a tweet, and then say i want to change it, and it won't recognize i said to change it. it'll just repeat the same statement to review/send/change it. also, in the siri "what do you want to do" menu, it says underneath the mapping one that it is only available in the US. it's not the case now. ui inconsistencies like that seem pretty stupid to have left in, despite it being a beta.

kehs

Banned
I know you're just trolling, but he'd be the first one to admit it sucks and kill it. It's good to see Cook not double down on a mistake.

I cant help myself, but I still think, as a long term goal, Apple will be expanding in the social aspect.

3D Maps looks suspiciously like the same thing nokia was showing off for their maps a year or two ago. Is it the same technology?

JayDub

Anyone know if iOS6 supports message access profile (MAP)? It allows SMS to be sent to the car's infotainment system. I know iOS5 did not support it.

LCfiner

i have the beta on my ip2 but i cant figure out how to turn it on if it has it

When you flip the lower right corner of the map to get to options, you should have buttons for hybrid and satellite views. Plus drop pin.

And I think you can still get the vector based 3D stuff by sliding two fingers up or down the map screen. Not sure.

Appleman

I haven't found too many cities with 3D map support, but anyone who is wondering about it working should switch to satellite, hit 3D and try Chicago

Top Bottom