• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

I haven't found too many cities with 3D map support, but anyone who is wondering about it working should switch to satellite, hit 3D and try Chicago

Thanks for that, I was testing it out in NYC and it wasn't working so I just assumed it wasn't set up yet.

Edit:

After using it for 30 seconds or so, it's a neat feature but not something I can imagine using very often.

LCfiner

Thanks for that, I was testing it out in NYC and it wasn't working so I just assumed it wasn't set up yet.

Edit:

After using it for 30 seconds or so, it's a neat feature but not something I can imagine using very often.

Does that flyover mode support the hybrid view or just satellite?

It might be more useful with street overlays on it.

Choc

Banned
has anyone compiled a list of the changes and tweaks for ios6 so far?

i found satellite view, its kinda bad :|

LCfiner

I just tried it out in hybrid view and it definitely works, but it's only marginally more useful in my opinion.

Thanks.

Hmm. This whole thing is making me anxious.

I mean, since previous articles have said that Apple needed to get their own app data to provide built in turn by turn, I can see why they would do this from a product standpoint. Of course, we all know that there's more political reasons for the move but st least there's one product improvement that could have influenced the decision.

But divorcing themselves from google so completely now removes a genuinely useful feature in street view with the glitzy but useless 3D view.

I hope that google maps app shows up in the app store by fall.

LCfiner

You guys really use street view that much?

I never would have guessed it would be that big of a deal.

It's very useful when heading to a place I've never been to before to get a feel for the stores, landmarks to look out for. I use it around once a month and it helps me out.

Plus, it can seem legitimately magical. I brought my original iPad over to my dad's place a couple years ago and we used street view to see the streets in Spain that he grew up on and how they changed. And because it was on a touchscreen and not a web page on a laptop, he was able to "drive" himself around the streets. It was cool.

Losing that entirely with no third party alternative would be a serious bummer.

I use it on occasion but not often. It was nice to have to look for landmarks in areas you aren't familiar with. I won't miss it all that much though.

Tobor

I always saw Street View as a neat toy, but never really used it for anything practical.

The 3D views Apple is adding are equally a toy, to be fair.

RJM77

it's awesome if you're house hunting. and as others have mentioned, it's extremely useful for going to a place you've never been before. it makes it easier to spot when you're finally there - at least in dense cities.

LCfiner

Not to be too much of a grumpy Gus, but that kind of attention to detail is equally matched by some of the inconsistencies in UIs between apps in iOS 6 (app stores and music app use flat shaded and black buttons but other apps still use glossy buttons and light blue accents) and questionable judgement calls like the sky blue status bar color.

noah111

Still Alive
Not to be too much of a grumpy Gus, but that kind of attention to detail is equally matched by some of the inconsistencies in UIs between apps in iOS 6 (app stores and music app use flat shaded and black buttons but other apps still use glossy buttons and light blue accents) and questionable judgement calls like the sky blue status bar color.
Pretty much. Seems like almost everything looks better independently but next to the rest of their companions it's a bit weird how dissimilar the UI can be. Hopefully things change by fall.

Got my iOS6 going, yay! (thanks to Ferny in the Beta signup thread)

Anyone know how I can remove the Facebook birthdays from my Calendar? I don't wanna have to manually remove hundreds of birthdays :eek:!

bananas

Banned

It's a beta, the UI probably isn't complete across the entire OS.

Got my iOS6 going, yay! (thanks to Ferny in the Beta signup thread)

Anyone know how I can remove the Facebook birthdays from my Calendar? I don't wanna have to manually remove hundreds of birthdays :eek:!

In the calendars app select "Calendars" in the top left corner and deselect Facebook birthdays.

KtSlime

Why does there need to be consistency between apps in iOS? Each app is essentially an island, with its own style, data, etc - and it has always been that way, since version 1.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
How is the battery life for you guys? My 4 seems to be taking a pretty large hit.
My 4S is just like 5.1.1.

Noticed in the music app that it now resumes songs where left off if you skip away to the next song and then skip back again. Memory is fussy but wasn't this a podcast only thing previously?

Also glitch, the volume slider sometimes don't show with headphones plugged in.

dc89

ios6-feature-chart.png

Flyover and Turn by Turn missing from iPhone 4?! Really Apple?!

ios6-feature-chart.png

Flyover and Turn by Turn missing from iPhone 4?! Really Apple?!
Flyover omitted makes a bit of sense because of the additional processing power, but turn by turn missing smells like a heap of horseshit to me. I care a lot less about FaceTime, but it's also BS that the iPhone 4 doesn't support it on 3G too. There's no technical limitation, it's all about getting you to upgrade.

strata8

I'm reading the comments on the Verge article and the excuses people manage to come up with for it are just cringeworthy. I can understand Flyover, though.

Are people really that bummed about lack of turn by turn for iphone 4? You'd think after ~ 2 years, you'd have picked up one of the excellent 3rd party navigation software.

So has anyone (any website) tested out turn by turn? Am really curious if I will abandon Navigon for apple's app. Apple do tend to value looks over functionality.

Mairu

Are people really that bummed about lack of turn by turn for iphone 4? You'd think after ~ 2 years, you'd have picked up one of the excellent 3rd party navigation software.

So has anyone (any website) tested out turn by turn? Am really curious if I will abandon Navigon for apple's app. Apple do tend to value looks over functionality.

Personally I'm kind of disappointed that if I upgrade my iPhone 4 to iOS6 not only will the Maps application lose functionality (lack of transit/walking directions) but I'm not going to be getting the majority of the feature additions (unless traffic is also iPhone 4S only)

So I have a few basic questions that are really hard to find the answer to.

1. Now that I have seen the entire presentation I saw that maps are international but have they made a list of countries available to see with country is supported?

Sire has now international local search, so for every country that has IOS6 than or just for the supported languages countries?
Because now here in Holland, you can use siri in English, but if you want to look up a place or weather or anything that requires a "place" it says it does not support that.

2. So I want to know can I use siri local search in Holland with English voice now with IOS6.

3. And is it confirmed that turn by turn is usable outside of the USA?
quoted for new page.

Bummed here. But I am getting an iPhone 5 anyways so it's not a huge deal.

JonnyBrad

It's pretty obvious with turn by turn it's a deliberate holdbback tho. Turn by turn works on ancient android phones. It's not a processing thing.

I would never abandon my Tom Tom app simply as the maps are preloaded. Any nav that relys on phone signal to work is not as full proof IMO

Are maps not preloaded? Anyone notice a large chunk of space missing on there phone?

Best thing about navigon 2.0 is that you dl maps by piecemeal, to save space. So if you live in like NYC, you just dl the few 100 mb NY map. You can naturally dl other maps when you need to.

It's pretty obvious with turn by turn it's a deliberate holdbback tho. Turn by turn works on ancient android phones. It's not a processing thing.

I would never abandon my Tom Tom app simply as the maps are preloaded. Any nav that relys on phone signal to work is not as full proof IMO

I'm pretty sure it's due to SIRI integration. Someone correct me, but Siri handles the voice part of the turn by turn?

Top Bottom