• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

dc89

mind-blown.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
How do I add stuff into Passbook? Is it through the app itself or through the App Store?

Don't really see the point in passbook, although I assume they'll add payment in there later on, and it'll be much more useful then.

They described it as confusing when you have to fumble through your apps to find the one you need. Er,not really. How many flights are you usually booked on at once. Not many. So you just bring up your airlines app, it'll probably be in a travel folder. Not really a big deal. Likewise with stores. Most apps are named after the store so they'll be easy to find. Feels like a solution looking for a problem

Don't really see the point in passbook, although I assume they'll add payment in there later on, and it'll be much more useful then.

They described it as confusing when you have to fumble through your apps to find the one you need. Er,not really. How many flights are you usually booked on at once. Not many. So you just bring up your airlines app, it'll probably be in a travel folder. Not really a big deal. Likewise with stores. Most apps are named after the store so they'll be easy to find. Feels like a solution looking for a problem

Idea is probably not having to have 10-15 apps. Consolidate into 1.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
As long as it doesn't have public transportation directions I'll definitely be using the Google Maps app as well. Turn by turn driving directions are great, but doesn't really help me in NYC.

Even though I'd prefer to use the eventual google maps app for better ariel views and street view, the OS will default any web links and app links to the apple maps app. I wish you could define those. Don't suppose they are likely to have an 'open in...' for that

numble

Why not just carry a ton of cards instead of just the Oyster card? I also think they'll be adding credit cards when NFC comes on the next phone.
Being deeply integrated with the system's geolocation services also makes things simpler.
Newsstand had a huge effect on digital magazine/newspaper uptake on iOS, just by consolidating things into a central area and curating discovery of compatible content.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Idea is probably not having to have 10-15 apps. Consolidate into 1.

But you are still going to have those apps, they are just publishing pass info to passbook. I'll still want my airlines app to see flight information, loyalty points etc. I don't see it launching apps like newsstand. Newsstand is simpler - magazines and newspapers go in it. But passbook is for a specific piece of information - tickets, card info etc - so its not clear you'd have entire apps held within.

numble

But you are still going to have those apps, they are just publishing pass info to passbook. I'll still want my airlines app to see flight information, loyalty points etc. I don't see it launching apps like newsstand. Newsstand is simpler - magazines and newspapers go in it. But passbook is for a specific piece of information - tickets, card info etc - so its not clear you'd have entire apps held within.
It's also going to be launching apps. So you'll get Newsstand with widgets.

Chris B

Quick question for anyone running the beta.

Is there anyway to quickly send a text as an actual SMS text instead of an iMessage?

Very specific use case for this I'm sure but I wanted to check. I know in iOS 5 there was a way of holding down on the message to 'Send as Text Message', but I found it to be inconsistent.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Quick question for anyone running the beta.

Is there anyway to quickly send a text as an actual SMS text instead of an iMessage?

Very specific use case for this I'm sure but I wanted to check. I know in iOS 5 there was a way of holding down on the message to 'Send as Text Message', but I found it to be inconsistent.

You have the option to hold down/send as text message if the automatic "send SMS function if an iMessage fails" feature is turned off in messages.

kinggroin

Banned
Even though I'd prefer to use the eventual google maps app for better ariel views and street view, the OS will default any web links and app links to the apple maps app. I wish you could define those. Don't suppose they are likely to have an 'open in...' for that

One of my biggest complaints about the OS. No true modularity. The ability to 'set as default' in android is a powerful feature that's taken for granted. On the other hand, the stronger ios becomes, the less you'll need that flexibility.

Mastgrr

No facetime 3G for iPhone 4? What the fuck is the reasoning behind that?

Requires high-speed cellular connections. Probably for stability and picture preservation.

Really annoying that the iPad 2 isn't getting Siri even though it's more than capable of running it. Classic Apple.

Siri requires a special processor to decode speech and sound, apparently. The iPad 2 doesn't have this.

Symphonic

Requires high-speed cellular connections. Probably for stability and picture preservation.

Siri requires a special processor to decode speech and sound, apparently. The iPad 2 doesn't have this.

Since when does the 4S have a significant hardware boost for cellular connections?

Couldn't all this functionality already have been available if they had exposed a mapping API before?

With GMaps you can render the maps within your own application, you can set geopoints, overlays, manual route overlays and automatic routing.

This is the first release of iOS 6. How could they have made the API available before?

giga

Couldn't all this functionality already have been available if they had exposed a mapping API before?

With GMaps you can render the maps within your own application, you can set geopoints, overlays, manual route overlays and automatic routing.
It's different from that. This is allowing a developer's routing app to be hooked directly into the Maps app so that it's available to the entire system. From the dev doc:

In addition to the new map tiles provided by Apple, the Maps app and MapKit framework now support additional interactions with other apps. Apps that do not incorporate their own map support now have an easier way to launch the Maps app and display points of interest or directions. Apps that offer routing information, such as turn-by-turn navigation services, can now register as a routing app and make those services available to the entire system.

Registering as a routing app gives you more opportunities to get your app in front of users. Routing apps are not limited to just driving or walking directions. Routing apps can also include apps that provide directions for the user’s favorite bicycle or hiking trail, for air routes, and for subway or other public transportation lines. And your app does not even have to be installed on the user’s device. Maps knows about routing apps in the App Store and can provide the user with the option to purchase those apps and use them for directions.

Apps that do not provide routing directions themselves can also take advantage of both Maps and routing apps. Apps can use new interfaces to ask the Maps app to display specific locations or to display routing directions between two locations.

Zeppu

It's different from that. This is allowing a developer's routing app to be hooked directly into the Maps app so that it's available to the entire system. From the dev doc:

Yeah yeah, I get it. Intents for iOS, finally. My point is that since previously it was Apple's application using Google map data, and whatever is mentioned there is already possible with the current maps API (apart from turn-by-turn), then they could've opened this API before, for their previous app, had they wanted to.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What's the hearing aid stuff in iOS 6? My good friend wears them and the new pair he bought bluetooth into his dumb phone now, he plans to get the iPhone 5, what can he do with iOS6?

Also, his hearing aids are ridiculous.

Tobor

Not yet, we have to wait for developers to integrate their apps with it.

I wonder if it's going to be any better than they way Google did it. Using the public transit directions on Google Maps worked pretty flawlessly, at least for me in NYC.

Google could use the routing apps API to supply the same info directly to Maps...if they wanted to, of course. :p

giga

Yeah yeah, I get it. Intents for iOS, finally. My point is that since previously it was Apple's application using Google map data, and whatever is mentioned there is already possible with the current maps API (apart from turn-by-turn), then they could've opened this API before, for their previous app, had they wanted to.
The MapKit API was there before. Many apps do use the included Maps API currently and do their own layering, geocoding, etc on top of it.

https://developer.apple.com/library...n.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009497-CH1-SW1

Zeppu

The MapKit API was there before. Many apps do use the included Maps API currently and do their own layering, geocoding, etc on top of it.

https://developer.apple.com/library...n.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40009497-CH1-SW1

My point is that all the functionality mentioned in that article (except turn-by-turn) could've been available in the API you linked me to if they had chosen to expose it. They had the data, they had the tiles and it was all wrapped within their own application. Now they've introduced inferior data/tiles (obviously because it's all very new) and expanded their API to try compensate for data which is no longer available because, as I can assume, was bundled with Google's data.

My point is that
Google Maps + new API >= New Maps + new API

Are people really that bummed about lack of turn by turn for iphone 4? You'd think after ~ 2 years, you'd have picked up one of the excellent 3rd party navigation software.

So has anyone (any website) tested out turn by turn? Am really curious if I will abandon Navigon for apple's app. Apple do tend to value looks over functionality.

Yes, I tested it yesterday driving to my Aunt's, about 40 minutes away.

You start your route and lock the phone, the lock screen displays how long until your next checkpoint.

JWA27.png

The screen will go black. When you are about a half mile from your next checkpoint the screen will light up and Siri will tell you what to expect in a half mile. At the turn she tells you to turn. When you've completed the turn she will tell you how long until your next move. Screen will go black. At any time you can obviously hit the power or home button and it will show you where you are and how long until your next checkpoint.

Everything worked great. Some map images were slow to load when I would press the home/power button but thats to be expected. Only at one point was in stopped in traffic on the highway and she thought I was just off the highway, I moved 10 feet and it picked me back up.

Also, when I had Bluetooth turned on (and it syncs with my car) I wouldn't hear anything, the screen would just light up. I wasn't on the Bluetooth Audio source on my stereo but it would be nice if she interrupted my other source (XM/CD/FM/etc.) to tell me to take a turn, just like she would interrupt if I got a phone call.

Unlocked phone view
EpPrA.png

giga

My point is that all the functionality mentioned in that article (except turn-by-turn) could've been available in the API you linked me to if they had chosen to expose it. They had the data, they had the tiles and it was all wrapped within their own application. Now they've introduced inferior data/tiles (obviously because it's all very new) and expanded their API to try compensate for data which is no longer available because, as I can assume, was bundled with Google's data.

My point is that
Google Maps + new API >= New Maps + new API
Oh, so you're saying they could have allowed other transit apps to be exposed to the system in the past? Well…yeah. A lot of different things could have been done before. But we all know the situation right now with Google, so they're no longer providing Google's service as the system default for all apps anymore.

The funny thing is that Google could probably make a transit app and a user could let that be the system default for transit.

Oh, so you're saying they could have allowed other transit apps to be exposed to the system in the past? Well…yeah. A lot of different things could have been done before. But we all know the situation right now with Google, so they're no longer providing Google's service as the system default for all apps anymore.

The funny thing is that Google could probably make a transit app and a user could let that be the system default for transit.

Yeah? How about letting us use other apps as defaults as well?

Brofist

Nice to see they've added iTunes match streaming in iOS 6. Seemed silly not to be able to stream to portable devices. Lot of defenders were against me when I brought this up in a previous topic, good to see it was a valid issue.

thefil

Kind of sucks that I'll have to wait potentially months after iOS6 comes out for somebody to put together a routing app for my local bus routes.

Top Bottom