• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Really annoying that the iPad 2 isn't getting Siri even though it's more than capable of running it. Classic Apple.

No way they could handle the load if they opened it up to more devices especially with the next iPhone launching in the fall.

Appleman

Nice to see they've added iTunes match streaming in iOS 6. Seemed silly not to be able to stream to portable devices. Lot of defenders were against me when I brought this up in a previous topic, good to see it was a valid issue.

Have they? I think the iTunes Match integration with the new Music.app is pretty confusing, I liked being able to know what was locally stored...

MThanded

No, the real reason is so people upgrade to the latest hardware. Any other suggestion is ridiculous.
Guess you have no idea how much proc. power/data goes into handling siri requests. You have to have stateful sessions between many devices simultaneously as well as handling compressed voice files during these sessions. I don't know why its ridiculous.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
ios6-feature-chart.png

Between Apple replacing Google maps for their gimped map app, and Verizon's new data plan, I'd saying I'm in for a deep thorough anal probing that would make any alien envious as hell.

MThanded

You know who has the resources to handle it? One of the biggest companies in the world.
When the 4s launched siri wouldn't work for extended periods of time due to overload. If they opened it up to every device that could possibly handle siri it would probably be unusable most of the time.

I think that's the real reason. They are scaling up Siri over time.

Particularly since they are adding more (useful) functionality to Siri with this release as well. You'll now have all the iPhone 4S users (a considerable number), all the New iPad users AND the New iPhone users all wanting to hit Siri up for movie times for The Hobbit at the same time.

garath

It's beyond ridiculous that iPhone 4 is excluded from the new turn by turn directions. There is no good reason for it other than to force people to upgrade. It's infuriating. Especially with carriers changing their data packages and the high price of new devices, it's nothing more than a money grab.

Apple, love their innovation, hate their business.

Holy Wars

Banned
You know whose servers were straining last year with only one device using Siri?

So upgrade them?

I mean, seriously, are you trying to imply its impossible for a company Apple's size to accommodate for a large number of devices running Siri? In 2 years pretty much all idevices will be.

MThanded

So upgrade them?

I mean, seriously, are you trying to imply its impossible for a company Apple's size to accommodate for a large number of devices running Siri? In 2 years pretty much all idevices will be.
Just upgrade them... OK buddy.

Tobor

So upgrade them?

Yes, in 2 years. That's the point. They will scale it up over time.

MThanded

They have a server scaling timeline I am sure. Thats how these large server side things work.

When you start the service you have to plan in advance how you do the rollout.

numble

So upgrade them?

They had trouble accommodating just the 4S, and with iOS 6 just in beta in a couple thousand of extra users on the new iPad, it seems there is Siri slowdown again, particularly if you're trying to use the new languages like Chinese.

thefil

It's beyond ridiculous that iPhone 4 is excluded from the new turn by turn directions. There is no good reason for it other than to force people to upgrade. It's infuriating. Especially with carriers changing their data packages and the high price of new devices, it's nothing more than a money grab.

It's kind of a new trend for them. I think they just had a lot of trouble differentiating the 4S as a new product when it has virtually no features outside processing power. I'm a 4S owner (upgraded from 3GS) and in two generations the product has barely changed from a hardware perspective.

MThanded

Apple fans are amazing.

I am a fan of all technology. If you are going to discuss something just make sure you know what you are talking about.

Sure Apple wants people to get new hardware. They also have to limit server load by imposing limitations on which devices actually get access.

Just because you own an Apple device doesn't mean you are a fanboy. I own touchpad's and have owned android phones before. Let's quit the nonsense.

Burger

Is that the reason? There couldn't be an engineering reason behind it? Perhaps they want to market it with Siri functionality that the iPhone 4 doesn't have.

I was happy with my iPhone 4 when it came with iOS 4. There is no reason in my opinion to be upset that some free new feature isn't coming to my phone.

Nobody is 'forced' to upgrade. Your phone has only increased in functionality since you purchased it.

MThanded

I hope they get their act together on the mapping before official launch date. Looks like basura right now.

Enco

The feature skipping on devices is nothing but a way to make people buy newer revisions.

It's bullshit but it's business.

Apple is great and all but it's far from perfect.

Brofist

Have they? I think the iTunes Match integration with the new Music.app is pretty confusing, I liked being able to know what was locally stored...

You can still locally store too if you want. I'm guessing the option to hide music other than locally stored music should still be there, be strange if they took that out.

Holy Wars

Banned
I am a fan of all technology. If you are going to discuss something just make sure you know what you are talking about.

Sure Apple wants people to get new hardware. They also have to limit server load by imposing limitations on which devices actually get access.

Just because you own an Apple device doesn't mean you are a fanboy. I own touchpad's and have owned android phones before. Let's quit the nonsense.

Pretending it's impossible for a company like Apple to suitably support any Internet feature is just making excuses. I don't especially care; I have an iPad 3 and I'm bored of Siri already, but Apple are clearly withholding features to encourage people to upgrade.

numble

Pretending it's impossible for a company like Apple to suitably support any Internet feature is just making excuses. I don't especially care; I have an iPad 3 and I'm bored of Siri already, but Apple are clearly withholding features to encourage people to upgrade.
How long have you been using Siri on that iPad?

MThanded

Shit apple is still stringing along the 3gs. Of course they want people to upgrade. They also want to make the most money. They aren't here to spread goodwill they are here to make money.

Darkkn

Apple makes majority of it's money by selling the hardware. It's getting more and more difficult to make an big impact on hardware alone to get people upgrade to a new device... enter planned obsolescence in software side. It's very shitty.
Server load is not an acceptable reason. They have all the money to throw around. Should we start giving Android OEM's a pass with their crappy upgrade policies as well for whatever excuses they have?

MThanded

Apple is still pulling the 3gs up in the update cycle and people are still whining that their device isn't getting every feature. Look back at android devices that came out when the 3gs did. Now tell me if they can reasonably run the newest version of vanilla android.

We have it good over here.

We also get good resale value. I sold my ipad 1 for 300 dollars the week before the new ipad launched.

Sell your device and upgrade if it pains you.

Zeppu

Apple makes majority of it's money by selling the hardware. It's getting more and more difficult to make an big impact on hardware alone to get people upgrade to a new device... enter planned obsolescence in software side. It's very shitty.
Server load is not an acceptable reason. They have all the money to throw around. Should we start giving Android OEM's a pass with their crappy upgrade policies as well for whatever excuses they have?

Their programmers can't handle the load for all the different devices. They also want to make the most money. They aren't here to spread goodwill they are here to make money.

:p

SuperPac

Just because you cannot see a good reason for it other than to force people to upgrade, there may be one (server load, GPS tech in the 4, etc. etc.). There are also apps you can buy for your phone that do turn-by-turn directions today if the feature means that much to you.

Also, looking at the other players in mobile phones at the moment you should feel lucky that Apple is supporting a device introduced 2 years ago with regular software updates at all. There's a rumor that all the current Windows Phones won't be able to upgrade to the next new software update at all and only 7% of Android phones are on the newest version that's already 6 months old.

RJM77

Look back at android devices that came out when the 3gs did. Now tell me if they can reasonably run the newest version of vanilla android.

We have it good over here.

My two year old android phone does turn by turn navigation, video chat over 3g and voice actions just fine.
Just sayin'.

mrkgoo

I actually kind of get annoyed when people just fall back on the 'lol, Apple Fanbois are amazing' argument.

There's no doubt Apple will hold back software features sometimes to encourage an upgrade cycle. That's the whole point - new products, new features. Just because it's possible to give something away for free doesn't mean they should. Users shouldn't feel THAT entitled.

Sure, to an extent, yes. We buy stuff with a certain expectation that it will be relevant for a certain amount of time, but there is a level where expectations can be a bit much, just like how holding back certain features might be a bit much. I generally find Apple are pretty good with striking a balance for that kind of thing - they most definitely HAVE done it. I just don't blame them for it. Sometimes there's the reason of just time and deciding the benefit of implementing a resolution for older devices not robe worth the gain. That,s fine most of the time, I think. Like I said, I think apple generally have a good balance.

That said, holding Siri from ipad2 is one of those times where it's actually a bit of both. Holding it off so the other users get a better experience, but also as an exclusive feature. I dn't see anything wrong with that.

MThanded

My two year old android phone does turn by turn navigation, video chat over 3g and voice actions just fine.
Just sayin'.

3gs came out 3 years ago. Does your phone run the newest version of vanilla android fine thats the question? Not what features it has. You can get apps do to those things on ios too.

Holy Wars

Banned
I actually kind of get annoyed when people just fall back on the 'lol, Apple Fanbois are amazing' argument.

There's no doubt Apple will hold back software features sometimes to encourage an upgrade cycle. That's the whole point - new products, new features. Just because it's possible to give something away for free doesn't mean they should. Users shouldn't feel THAT entitled.

Sure, to an extent, yes. We buy stuff with a certain expectation that it will be relevant for a certain amount of time, but there is a level where expectations can be a bit much, just like how holding back certain features might be a bit much. I generally find Apple are pretty good with striking a balance for that kind of thing - they most definitely HAVE done it. I just don't blame them for it. Sometimes there's the reason of just time and deciding the benefit of implementing a resolution for older devices not robe worth the gain. That,s fine most of the time, I think. Like I said, I think apple generally have a good balance.

That said, holding Siri from ipad2 is one of those times where it's actually a bit of both. Holding it off so the other users get a better experience, but also as an exclusive feature. I dn't see anything wrong with that.

I don't have huge moral issues with Apple holding back features. It's the justification of it as anything but holding back features I don't like.

Why does every thread need to de-evolve into a Android vs. Apple bitchfest. Both platforms have their PRO's and CON's; neither is the outright best. Get over it already.

Enco

Why does every thread need to de-evolve into a Android vs. Apple bitchfest. Both platforms have their PRO's and CON's; neither is the outright best. Get over it already.
A discussion is fine in my opinion but you can rarely get a decent one without bitching.

The 'Lulz Apple fanboys' reply is a joke like mrkgoo said.

Personally I prefer iOS as I just don't like the style/look of the Android OS. From what I've seen iOS also has more appealing apps

mrkgoo

I don't have huge moral issues with Apple holding back features. It's the justification of it as anything but holding back features I don't like.

Well, on the same note, the idea that it is ALWAYS just holding back features is not entirely right either.

Like I said, Apple will do it and have done it. But in the case of Siri, I don't think it's JUST holding back feature as an upgrade incentive ALONE. It's definitely a part of it, but keeping the service actually useful is pretty important.

Also, those saying it,s all a money grab, well, yes, of course it is. Why else would a business innovate if not to make money? Seriously, what would this epeople do if they were in charge of apple? Research and design new features at a cost and give them away free? The argument that that's what google does doesn't stand, because google doesn't do it to sell devices and make money on hardware like Apple does.

Vyer

What have you tried with new iPad Siri?

Top Bottom