• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Angst

Why does every thread need to de-evolve into a Android vs. Apple bitchfest. Both platforms have their PRO's and CON's; neither is the outright best. Get over it already.

Back away from the ledge this is not a thread about Android.

Agreed. OP could have picked another title for the thread though as it's just going to irritate people. Maybe I'm overthinking things though and every Android (Samsung particularly) and Apple thread is destined to turn into bitchfest? :(

Nice to see they've added iTunes match streaming in iOS 6. Seemed silly not to be able to stream to portable devices. Lot of defenders were against me when I brought this up in a previous topic, good to see it was a valid issue.
Glad to hear it. I don't need music downloaded on my phone. Streaming is fine.

Tobor

I don't have huge moral issues with Apple holding back features. It's the justification of it as anything but holding back features I don't like.

I'm glad you're here to tell us what opinions we shouldn't have.

It sucks that iphone 4 and ipad 2 users cant get Siri. That doesn't mean it's 100% without question holding back features to force upgrades.

Guess what? You might be wrong or I might be wrong. Without evidence or proof, we're all speculating. Get over yourself.

mrkgoo

Don't upgrade your phone. You get to keep streetview.

This may not be such an easy option. I find is as a resolution not to be an ideal one, given you might want to upgrade for other reasons - being forced to make those kinds of decisions can be annoying. So I understand being miffed over that.

But you KNOW real solution is that google will offer their maps as a third party solution (provided Apple let them ,lol), so if people really want street view, they may be able to in future anyway.

that said, it's early days, who knows how ambitious Apple are with their mapping solution. It's a competitive market out there, so if they don't keep up, they might go back to google. Anyway, vector maps are a very intriguing advantage too.

Guess you have no idea how much proc. power/data goes into handling siri requests. You have to have stateful sessions between many devices simultaneously as well as handling compressed voice files during these sessions. I don't know why its ridiculous.

Its ridiculous because apple has more money than god in the bank and this (should be) solely a hardware problem. Scaling a service like this should be incredibly simple if it was architected properly.

The fact that they haven't expanded Siri to other devices is a marketing ploy, the fact that Siri still isn't reliable in terms of speed and service on devices that support it points to poor execution and has me somewhat worried about their new mapping service.

mrkgoo

It sucks that iphone 4 and ipad 2 users cant get Siri. That doesn't mean it's 100% without question holding back features to force upgrades.

Guess what? You might be wrong or I might be wrong. Without evidence or proof, we're all speculating. Get over yourself.

Yup.

But I hate using the term 'to force upgrades', as no-one is really forcing people to buy new stuff. 'Incentivise upgrades' is probably more appropriate ;)

It's the same argument like when people said there was no camera in iPad 1. Was it cost-saving and/or just not implementing it for the schedule of release, or just being stingy and holding back for the ipad2? Just that one is software, one is hardware.
People do like to think software is free as well, so heightened entitlement comes with that.

Holy Wars

Banned

It's not speculating to say an iPhone 4 has the capabilities to do turn by turn. I don't even understand why you're arguing this point. You can like Apple products without having to defend everything they do, fyi.

numble

It's not speculating to say an iPhone 4 has the capabilities to do turn by turn. I don't even understand why you're arguing this point. You can like Apple products without having to defend everything they do, fyi.
I thought people were talking about Siri. What's your experience with Siri been like on your iPad?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
How did we get on turn by turn?

I think you are really trying to derail this thread.

Holy Wars

Banned
The point is if they'll hold back turn by turn for no reason, why wouldn't they hold back Siri for no reason?

I thought people were talking about Siri. What's your experience with Siri been like on your iPad?

It's an OK novelty I suppose. I told it to set a reminder and it did it. I guess that's kinda cool.

mrkgoo

Its ridiculous because apple has more money than god in the bank and this (should be) solely a hardware problem. Scaling a service like this should be incredibly simple if it was architected properly.

The fact that they haven't expanded Siri to other devices is a marketing ploy, the fact that Siri still isn't reliable in terms of speed and service on devices that support it points to poor execution and has me somewhat worried about their new mapping service.

I don't think it is necessarily a marketing ploy.

History has shown that Apple have always been a bit poor on the Internet services side of things. As you say yourself, maybe poor execution. A slow expansion is probably Apple's solution to their past woes.
Will Apple ever give older machines Siri? I would think it's in Apple's best interest that if they COULD give it to older devices cost effectively (more devices supported is more devices SUPPORTED), they would. There,s other ways to make money than just incentivise upgrades, but In the case of Siri, it probably just fell on that side of the line. Like the cost of implementing it for iPhone 4, including the development resources and support, and increased server and support for that wasn't worth the 'goodwill' of older users.

But it's good we're having this conversation. Sometimes Apple does change its mind given enough uproar.

hirokazu

I'm a little alarmed at how inconsistent the UI is becoming on iPhone with the stock apps alone. You've got the default blue UI that Safari and most other apps still use, Settings still uses it too, but now the status bar also turns blue in Settings (but not Safari). Then you've got the new store apps whose UI is shiny black, and finally Maps and Music are now silver like on the iPad.

WTF are they thinking? I really wish the rumour that they were switching the iPhone UI to match the iPad's silver was true, but regardless, I would've appreciated if they kept it consistent.

mrkgoo

The point is if they'll hold back turn by turn for no reason, why wouldn't they hold back Siri for no reason?

It's an OK novelty I suppose. I told it to set a reminder and it did it. I guess that's kinda cool.

I think tpApple picks and chooses their battles. It isn't necessarily always this or that.

For example, in the case of turn-by-turn, it may just be holding back (as it's a new feature that cost money, so they need to sell new devices to pay for that), but in the case of Siri, it might be more than that. It doesn't have to be the same reason for everything. They're separate features, probably with separate development teams and schedules, and thus probably separate budgets, ambitions, etc and therefore separate reasons for holding back. it's not hard to imagine.

numble

Since I installed iOS 6 about...17 hours ago?
Why did they hold Siri back for so long? Why do they continue to hold it back from new iPads until iOS 6 ships in the fall? There's no reason except to push people to buy new devices in October when iOS 6 is officially public, right?

Holy Wars

Banned
Why did they hold Siri back for so long? Why do they continue to hold it back from iPads until iOS 6 ships in the fall? There's no reason except to push people to buy new devices in October when iOS 6 is officially public, right?

To give the current iPad an extra bulletpoint for the Christmas marketing campaign? I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Apple adding a feature to a current product doesn't disprove they're holding back features from old products.

btkadams

my experience with siri on ipad was ok. there were some inconsistencies in the "what do you want to do" menu and a couple neverending loops, but it's a beta. it worked well otherwise.

though it was only for a brief amount of time, i kind of found siri on ipad to be far more novelty. i use siri all the time on my phone, but that's because it's in the car with me and makes so much more sense. with ipad, that handsfree capability is less necessary, though some things are faster with siri regardless (calendar, reminders).

Vyer

I expect the answer is, like usual, somewhere in the middle. Of course there is a desire to have incentives, but likewise it's never as easy as 'just upgrade!' either. For a company like Apple who is so anal about controlling experiences stuff like Siri getting overloaded was probably a horrible occurrence they don't want to repeat. And they were pretty damn big when that happened.

Some of the biggest companies in the world have had events bring their servers to their knees.

mf.luder

I'm a little alarmed at how inconsistent the UI is becoming on iPhone with the stock apps alone. You've got the default blue UI that Safari and most other apps still use, Settings still uses it too, but now the status bar also turns blue in Settings (but not Safari), then you've got the new store apps whose UI is shiny black, and finally Maps and Music are now silver like on the iPad.

WTF are they thinking? I really wish the rumour that they were switching the iPhone UI to match the iPad's silver was true, but even if regardless, I would've appreciated if they kept it consistent.

Yeah it's all over the place with inconsistencies. Annoying and unsettling at first but it will come. It's beta and it works, I can hold off on finishing coats of paint until release.

numble

To give the current iPad an extra bulletpoint for the Christmas marketing campaign? I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. Apple adding a feature to a current product doesn't disprove they're holding back features from old products.
Not everything boils down to a marketing ploy.

Try to enable Siri for Mainland China and see the message that pops up if you try to bring up Siri (if you can figure out a way to translate it). They basically say their servers can't handle the load right now, they're adding server capacity daily, but they will notify you when you can start using it. The Taiwan Siri took like 30 seconds to process each request when I tried it.

Edit: That was yesterday, I can now activate Mainland China Siri.

I'm a little alarmed at how inconsistent the UI is becoming on iPhone with the stock apps alone. You've got the default blue UI that Safari and most other apps still use, Settings still uses it too, but now the status bar also turns blue in Settings (but not Safari). Then you've got the new store apps whose UI is shiny black, and finally Maps and Music are now silver like on the iPad.

WTF are they thinking? I really wish the rumour that they were switching the iPhone UI to match the iPad's silver was true, but regardless, I would've appreciated if they kept it consistent.

Could be a matter of them in transition. They may be moving to a UI like the new App Store looks and just haven't spread it system wide yet.

There are already inconsistencies with the Blue/Black status bar at the top across different apps.

hirokazu

Could be a matter of them in transition. They may be moving to a UI like the new App Store looks and just haven't spread it system wide yet.

There are already inconsistencies with the Blue/Black status bar at the top across different apps.
That's what I thought initially, but it doesn't make sense why they'd bother making the status bar blue in Settings if they're moving away from it soon.

Also, has anyone worked out how to link your phone number to FaceTime and iMessages for iPad, iPod touch, etc? I see no option to do that.

mf.luder

I set both of my devices up as new and was prompted to do that in the setup.

But look under Messages and Facetime in Settings for "Receive at". Hopefully that helps.

thefil

Question for iOS6 experts: If somebody not using an iPhone texts me, and I'm on my Mac, can I reply from my Mac?

If so, it's honestly a megaton feature nobody is talking about.

I don't think it is necessarily a marketing ploy.

History has shown that Apple have always been a bit poor on the Internet services side of things. As you say yourself, maybe poor execution. A slow expansion is probably Apple's solution to their past woes.
Will Apple ever give older machines Siri? I would think it's in Apple's best interest that if they COULD give it to older devices cost effectively (more devices supported is more devices SUPPORTED), they would. There,s other ways to make money than just incentivise upgrades, but In the case of Siri, it probably just fell on that side of the line. Like the cost of implementing it for iPhone 4, including the development resources and support, and increased server and support for that wasn't worth the 'goodwill' of older users.

But it's good we're having this conversation. Sometimes Apple does change its mind given enough uproar.

Fair enough. I guess I feel like saying its a marketing ploy gives them the benefit of the doubt. Being nefariously capitalist is better than being incompetent.

noah111

Still Alive
Question for iOS6 experts: If somebody not using an iPhone texts me, and I'm on my Mac, can I reply from my Mac?

No, I don't think so. It's all tied to iMessages which is an iOS/OS X service only. Same thing with FaceTime where someone calls your iPhone from their iPhone, you can answer from you iPad or Mac.

Enco

Nope.

They have to be using an Apple platform with the messaging feature. Would be crazy if you could reply to normal text messages :lol

thefil

Nope.

They have to be using an Apple platform with the messaging feature. Would be crazy if you could reply to normal text messages :lol

It should be possible, even if they had to implement it as Mac talks to iPhone which talks to friend.

The only person I text extensively is my girlfriend and she has an Android phone.

hirokazu

I set both of my devices up as new and was prompted to do that in the setup.

But look under Messages and Facetime in Settings for "Receive at". Hopefully that helps.
On the iPad it only allows me to add additional email addresses to receive at. On the iPhone, the number is there and greyed out as it is in iOS 5.

Maybe they've added the option in the setup screen but not yet to the Settings app.

On the iPad it only allows me to add additional email addresses to receive at. On the iPhone, the number is there and greyed out as it is in iOS 5.

Maybe they've added the option in the setup screen but not yet to the Settings app.

My guess is that they haven't merged the accounts yet, but will do so as the iOS 6 release nears. It could cause confusion ahead of time and there are obviously some things that need to be done on the back-end to make it all work seamlessly.

Sofo

It should be possible, even if they had to implement it as Mac talks to iPhone which talks to friend.

The only person I text extensively is my girlfriend and she has an Android phone.
You're not texting her through iMessages but through Messages. It's not the same. iMessages is only between Apple ID users and Apple ID users who have a number linked to it, and it uses data. Messages (or like I call it, "normal" text messages) is what you exchange with every type of phone, no matter brand or OS.

I don't understand the confusion, I guess texting is sort of new to the US? Otherwise I can't explain it.

hirokazu

IMessages work through instant messaging protocols, not through SMS, but it's disguised as an SMS-like service to the end user. It's actually instant messaging with persistent presence. Think of it like AIM or MSN Messenger except with your status is always set to Available whenever you can be reached.

You can't message non-Apple devices because it's not really related to SMS at all.

btkadams

IMessages work through instant messaging protocols, not through SMS, but it's disguised as an SMS-like service to the end user. It's actually instant messaging with persistent presence. Think of it like AIM or MSN Messenger except with your status is always set to Available whenever you can be reached.

You can't message non-Apple devices because it's not really related to SMS at all.

it would be neat if you could use your computer/ipad to send sms if your iphone is connected on the same wifi network though. it would be a seperate system design, but it would be neat.

The ability to send SMS through an IM client isn't really all that new or unusual, its just that most people never knew it was possible or how to do it. It is possible that Apple could somehow add this functionality into iMessage and have it connect to phone numbers in your contacts list or something, although it doesn't work like that at all right now, and I have a feeling they would be touting it if they were adding it.

Enco

No doubt it would be a seriously killer feature but I don't see it happening soon for some reason.

Dartastic

I think the thing I'm angriest about is the lack of actual fly over gps stuff on the iPhone 4. Oh cool, I can have my giant ass iPad give me the functionality of a real GPS, but my iPhone 4 can't. You have to be fucking kidding me. Plus, the new Maps is not nearly as good as Google's. It genuinely isn't. Apple has to play mega catchup here.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Anyone have a problem with their phone calls getting all distorted and garbled? Happened to me about 6 times now

Tobor

Apple really pissed off the carriers with iMessage. Sending free SMS messages to non-Apple devices might start World War 3.

Top Bottom