• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

noah111

Still Alive
Apple really pissed off the carriers with iMessage. Sending free SMS messages to non-Apple devices might start World War 3.
And merging the Apple ID with a phone number is only going to piss them off further. But it's the future, and i'm glad Apple's not shy of going down that path.

Epix

Is it yet possible for me (without jailbreaking) to be working on my W7 PC and get a notification on my desktop if my iPhone receives a call or text message, provided my phone is connected to my home WiFi network?

DavieC726

Apple really pissed off the carriers with iMessage. Sending free SMS messages to non-Apple devices might start World War 3.

It can't be that bad, it just works with other iPhone users. You can't message an Android device for free. Although, with how many people that use iPhones, I wouldn't be surprise if carriers start making texting plans mandatory.

btkadams

why exactly would it piss off the carriers if apple let you send sms messages via your phone number through ipad/mac? it would be using your phone number, so the carrier would detect each one and have the ability to use it against your phone bill as a text message... isn't it just adding more capability for the phone companies to charge you?

why exactly would it piss off the carriers if apple let you send sms messages via your phone number through ipad/mac? it would be using your phone number, so the carrier would detect each one and have the ability to use it against your phone bill as a text message... isn't it just adding more capability for the phone companies to charge you?

They don't charge you for iMessages now as they are sent as data, not SMS. This would be the same.

Tobor

It can't be that bad, it just works with other iPhone users. You can't message an Android device for free. Although, with how many people that use iPhones, I wouldn't be surprise if carriers start making texting plans mandatory.

Apple announced at WWDC that it's already a billion messages a day.

btkadams

They don't charge you for iMessages now as they are sent as data, not SMS. This would be the same.

i don't understand what that has to do with what i said though..

imessage is data that is completely unrelated to carriers unless the data is sent over the carrier network (in which case, you are charged by the carrier for data usage). if sms messages were sent as data via your phone number from ipads/macs, they would be sent over the internet to your carrier to process. why wouldn't carriers allow apple to do what other companies already do and send sms messages over the internet? if the sender is a registered phone number, they would be able to charge the specific person sending the message on their phone plan. the only person that would lose would be consumers as they would essentially be paying for the data usage (whether the ipad/mac is using their carrier plan data or not) and for the text message service.

Apple announced at WWDC that it's already a billion messages a day.

Given that the average US person sends/receives 40 texts a day... that's about 25 million users using iMessage in any given day. That's a lot of people just 1 year after launch. If even only 20-30% of those canceled their text messaging plans... that's a significant chuck of change.

dc89

So I've had the Beta since this morning thanks to Ferny, and I have to say it's been pretty neat! Noticing new UI changes all the time and I've not had any glitches, lockups or crashes.

Given that the average US person sends/receives 40 texts a day... that's about 25 million users using iMessage in any given day. That's a lot of people just 1 year after launch. If even only 20-30% of those canceled their text messaging plans... that's a significant chuck of change.

Thus why verizon went to unlimited calls and texts. The writing is on the wall. Eventually plans will be all data. Question is how will telco companies keep their profits in check.

i don't understand what that has to do with what i said though..

imessage is data that is completely unrelated to carriers unless the data is sent over the carrier network (in which case, you are charged by the carrier for data usage). if sms messages were sent as data via your phone number from ipads/macs, they would be sent over the internet to your carrier to process. why wouldn't carriers allow apple to do what other companies already do and send sms messages over the internet? if the sender is a registered phone number, they would be able to charge the specific person sending the message on their phone plan. the only person that would lose would be consumers as they would essentially be paying for the data usage (whether the ipad/mac is using their carrier plan data or not) and for the text message service.

Ah... gotcha. I see what you're saying. I guess it would be possible for this to happen as long as the carriers can get their cut. Maybe we'll see something like that happen. As I posted on the previous page, it isn't difficult to send SMS messages via IM clients, for free, right now.

But consumers aren't going to like that. I already don't like the share data plan. If you are a single user then the price for 1GB data on a smart phone is 90 dollars before tax. I pay 80 dollars total from at&t w/ my employee discount for 2gb.

Like you have a choice. Every wireless telco is going to data-only infrastructure. They only way they can maintain and expand their profits is to get creative with restrictions and/or charge more.

Seriously... in the long term... where will you go? Sprint? They can't keep unlimited forever. T-Mobile? Already rocking caps. Pre-paid? Lose premier network infrastructure.

kingocfs

Man, kind of wish repeated calls didn't break through the Do Not Disturb option, although I understand why. Would have been perfect ex-girlfriend repellent.

noah111

Still Alive
original.jpg

noah111

Still Alive
They're all now properly centered, where previously it was only Mon. Also, the color gradient status bar seems to make more sense now. It matches whatever color the app menu bar is using;

iOS-6-status-bar-color-matching-image-002.jpg

iOS-6-status-bar-color-matching-image-001.jpg

via iDownloadBlog
sorry if already posted

Why is there still no weather app for the new iPad? I can ask Siri about the weather and get all the data but they still won't just give us the dang app!

Holy Wars

Banned
Why is there still no weather app for the new iPad? I can ask Siri about the weather and get all the data but they still won't just give us the dang app!

I wish I could put the weather widget from iPhone in the iPad notification centre. Just seems weird that I can't.

Top Bottom