• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

aparisi2274

Anyone else's map app buggy as hell today?

last night, and even most of this morning, I was able to type in addresses or landmarks and it would find it, but now if I try to type something after the first letter it just crashes...

Weird.

LCfiner

Lol. There are some people rallying around Marco, but personally, I'm deleting Instapaper. There's nothing I need from his service at this point.

If you live in a mixed ecosystem, I could see how it's still useful.

Android app came out just in time.

I'm excited about finally being able to use my iPhone as my in-car GPS. The Garmin I have is such a piece of shit. I'm convinced that it's been trying to kill me for years so it will be nice to finally return the favor.

I should start looking into cradle mounts I guess - although I'll probably wait until the next iPhone is revealed as I'll want one that will definitely fit the new form factor. I wonder if Apple has any plans to make one?

Don't know if it's my imagination but battery life seems improved on iPad 3.

I've heard this elsewhere too. I hope it true. Battery life on my New iPad is solid but not as good as my iPad 1.

So they're dropping transit directions from the new maps?

So....... that's like the first motivation to drop iPhone that I've ever experienced :/

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/06/13/apple-drops-transit-directions-from-mobile-devices/

Transit directions are coming. New maps are very extensible. It's already been talked about in here.

Tobor

So they're dropping transit directions from the new maps?

So....... that's like the first motivation to drop iPhone that I've ever experienced :/

http://dc.streetsblog.org/2012/06/13/apple-drops-transit-directions-from-mobile-devices/

They're dropping Google's transit data. They will have transit data.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Apparently. 3rd party apps will be able to deliver directions natively in the Maps app, but honestly the Google Maps app will be out soon enough and everything will be fine

Just what I need in my life... juggling two maps apps and always having the wrong one open from links in the browser, etc.

All these years of pining for turn-by-turn directions... and we lose the transit routing. +1 for car owners, -1 for transit users. Why do you hate poor people, Apple!?

(I know they're changing just to get away from Google but still)

Transit directions are coming. New maps are very extensible. It's already been talked about in here.

ok good, good.

Tobor

I'm excited about finally being able to use my iPhone as my in-car GPS. The Garmin I have is such a piece of shit. I'm convinced that it's been trying to kill me for years so it will be nice to finally return the favor.

I should start looking into cradle mounts I guess - although I'll probably wait until the next iPhone is revealed as I'll want one that will definitely fit the new form factor. I wonder if Apple has any plans to make one?

You weren't already? I've used Motion X GPS since last Fall when the price dropped to $10 a year. Works fine, but the interface is a bit clunky.

I'm excited to get a clean interface that's integrated with Siri.

I need a car mount as well, but i'm thinking I should wait until October...for some reason.

You weren't already? I've used Motion X GPS since last Fall when the price dropped to $10 a year. Works fine, but the interface is a bit clunky.

I need a car mount as well, but i'm thinking I should wait until October...for some reason.
I have been kinda window-shopping for a third-party GPS app for a while but decided to hold off until Apple came up with their own. Free, and probably better.

Appleman

The new iPad clock app displays some weather information, right? I can imagine them adding at least the weather widget to NC by release.

I have been kinda window-shopping for a third-party GPS app for a while but decided to hold off until Apple came up with their own. Free, and probably better.

eeehh... highly doubt it (probably not until ios 7 or 8).

Give Navigon a try. Only 30 bucks if you buy just the west coast (probably the only place you will use it for the most part). And you can just dl the state maps you use to save memory (apple maps will probably be streamed in, so if you go somewhere without signal, you are fucked).

Probably the best app purchase i've gotten over the past... 4 years or so.

Phoenix

Some people were talking about Waze and it's crowd sourcing traffic the other day. They are now confirmed as being a part of the iOS 6 Maps.

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2012/06/13/social-gps-app-waze-is-one-of-apples-sources-for-ios-6-maps/

HELLS YEAH!

Chuck_Norris_Approved.gif

hirokazu

The new iPad clock app displays some weather information, right? I can imagine them adding at least the weather widget to NC by release.
Yeah, you can ask Siri the weather, which makes it even more weird that there's no built-in weather app.

I'm thinking they'll expand the Clock app to do both clocks and weather.

hirokazu

HELLS YEAH!

Chuck_Norris_Approved.gif
I was rather enthusiastic about Waze when I saw GAF's recommendation, but I came away with a rather poor experience. The app is OK, but the community and the permissions structure for map edits sucked and basically didn't welcome users at all.

Long story short: Map data for much of suburban Sydney sucks. I tried to make changes and additions only to find out I had no permissions to save them. I filed a report recommending changes and even paved some missing streets.

Two months later, I get an email saying the issues I filed were rectified by the local manager or whatever. I checked Waze again and none of the changes were implemented, nor were the streets I paved added. Fuck it.

kr2t0s

Question for anyone using the beta - currently with Siri if you try to change the language - it assumes you want to change your location as well, which I do not. Has this changed?

For instance I want to change Siri for Mandarin but I don't want it to change my location to china or anything.

Currently if I change Siri to Australian english and try to check traffic around me - it says it cannot check traffic in Australia...

numble

Question for anyone using the beta - currently with Siri if you try to change the language - it assumes you want to change your location as well, which I do not. Has this changed?

For instance I want to change Siri for Mandarin but I don't want it to change my location to china or anything.

Currently if I change Siri to Australian english and try to check traffic around me - it says it cannot check traffic in Australia...
I think it's better, but probably because they've implemented global local search. I can ask it for restaurants and traffic in California, in Mandarin. There still seems to be some bugs though.

kr2t0s

I think it's better, but probably because they've implemented global local search. I can ask it for restaurants and traffic in California, in Mandarin. There still seems to be some bugs though.

That's great to hear. How is the recognition of Mandarin?

hirokazu

Traffic doesn't seem to be working in Australia for Maps or Siri for me yet? In fact, none of the localised search queries that they promised in the keynote currently works for me.

Mr.Fresh

Now that iPhone has turn by turn navigation I think I'm gonna get whatever the next one will be. I'm hoping it's soon because I'm tired of my Incredible 2.

Dude the Mapquest app is free and has voice turn by turn with map. It's all I've been using for a while now.

hirokazu

Anyone else have a runaway process that's draining the battery after installing iOS 6? Both iPhone and iPad reports 13.5 hours standby since installing on full charge, with usage about 12.5 hours, despite me only having used the iPad for at most 4 hours and the iPhone maybe 3 hours.

Did a reboot on the iPhone with no effect, so I've done a hard reset holding Home and Lock. Hopefully that'll fix it.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Nobody out there with the Air Video app on iPad that can confirm it's busted right now?
When I play videos, the sound does play, but the app refuses to actually show the video.

Shearie

Anyone know if they changed the lock screen music player controls to how it is in the redesigned music app? I've always hated when they moved the play, back, and forward buttons closer to each other when it was better spread apart more.

Sean

Banned
Anyone know if they changed the lock screen music player controls to how it is in the redesigned music app? I've always hated when they moved the play, back, and forward buttons closer to each other when it was better spread apart more.

Lock screen controls are still the same unfortunately. Only minor tweak w/ the lockscreen is that it no longer shows a padlock icon in the status bar up top.

I agree the music controls on lock screen are too close together. Maybe I have fat fingers or something but I always end up pressing the forward button when trying to press pause.

Lock screen controls are still the same unfortunately. Only minor tweak w/ the lockscreen is that it no longer shows a padlock icon in the status bar up top.

I agree the music controls on lock screen are too close together. Maybe I have fat fingers or something but I always end up pressing the forward button when trying to press pause.

At lest going back now resumes the track at the place you skipped from

Shearie

I have skinny fingers and the same thing happens to me unless I really concentrate on hitting the right button. It used to be perfect a couple of years ago; I didn't even have to look at the screen to hit the right button.

FerranMG

Another tiny thing I noticed: you can now flag mails as read/unread, important/unimportant with a button at the bottom left of the screen. Lifesaver! :D

I'm liking iOS 6 a lot so far. I'm on an iPhone 4. It feels much snappier. The new App Store is so cool.

First thing I've found that doesn't seem to work well is Find my iPhone. I can't actually get it to find my iPhone. Tried deactivating and activating back again the localization setting, and now my iPhone won't even appera as a device inside the Find my iPhone app. Weird. Will check it our further later.

BTW, about maps and GPS. Does anybody know if (and how much) data does it use?
I mean, I know the iPhone has a built-in GPS, but I don't know if it uses it by default, or it uses 3G connection, or what.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the navigation entirely offline? i.e maps cached and it can work well on an ipod touch or ipad wifi? You wouldn't get traffic (unless you tether) but I don't necessarily need that. Also, my wife is on PAYG with her iphone 4S, so we'd want to use as little data as possible

Marv_79

Neo Member
Is anyone else having problems with the do not disturb feature? I've set it to "on" and to only allow calls from people in my favourites list but I'm still receiving calls and texts from people who aren't.

I have an iPhone 4.

mrkgoo

Is anyone else having problems with the do not disturb feature? I've set it to "on" and to only allow calls from people in my favourites list but I'm still receiving calls and texts from people who aren't.

I have an iPhone 4.

I thought it didn't block calls, just made sure the light and buzzer didn't go off?

Holy Wars

Banned
Anyone in the UK having the App Store default to the US one, and then not letting you download anything with your UK ID? I have to log in and out every time on the app store main page.

The blog post updated with a link that say that it looks like that it will still be subpar and disappointing.

http://waxy.org/2012/06/busting_the_ios_6_transit_map_myths/

I travel alot and I use transit directions extensively. I switched from Android to the iPhone earlier this year and it's been quite an annoyance to not have access to Google's great public transit implementation. I was waiting to hear what Apple had in store with iOS 6 before making a decision to switch back but it looks like Google it is.

Top Bottom