• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Tobor

The blog post updated with a link that say that it looks like that it will still be subpar and disappointing.

http://waxy.org/2012/06/busting_the_ios_6_transit_map_myths/

I travel alot and I use transit directions extensively. I switched from Android to the iPhone earlier this year and it's been quite an annoyance to not have access to Google's great public transit implementation. I was waiting to hear what Apple had in store with iOS 6 before making a decision to switch back but it looks like Google it is.

The only difference I see there is that Maps transfers you to the third party transit app, rather than using the third party apps data inline. So all Google has to do is make a transit app, and Maps will send you there automatically, handing off your start and end info to Google's app.

numble

Tidbits:
Apple is partnering with AutoNavi for Chinese maps, might be good for Chinese users since I've generally found Google Maps to be bad in China. I have no experience with AutoNavi personally, but they seem to have higher marketshare than Google or Baidu in the GPS space: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-06/14/content_15500731.htm

Text-to-speech is no longer tied to your region settings. Before, you couldn't ask iOS to read say, Chinese or Japanese out loud unless you set your entire OS language to the language you want read out.

There are podcast-specific widget controls in lockscreen and the multitask widget bar when you are playing a podcast, letting you rewind/fast-forward by 15 seconds.

You can have more tabs than fit on screen on the iPad (I'm not sure if this is new).

The blog post updated with a link that say that it looks like that it will still be subpar and disappointing.

I travel alot and I use transit directions extensively. I switched from Android to the iPhone earlier this year and it's been quite an annoyance to not have access to Google's great public transit implementation. I was waiting to hear what Apple had in store with iOS 6 before making a decision to switch back but it looks like Google it is.

It's pretty certainly going to be in this by the time iOS 6 is fully released. It's not going to be in every city worldwide, but of course it'll be in major US/Euro cities. The point of these APIs is to make it so that if you live in Jakarta, you can get a mapping solution that works for you without having to wait for Apple to get the train schedules for your city.

The problem is that, as of beta 1, that's the treatment *everyone* gets. But I'd be incredibly surprised if Apple didn't have fully working transit directions by the time iOS 6 is actually released, and I think it's funny that people are simply assuming that that will be the case.

Blackhead

Redarse

:O... :)... :|... :(

Tobor

Tidbits:
Apple is partnering with AutoNavi for Chinese maps, might be good for Chinese users since I've generally found Google Maps to be bad in China. I have no experience with AutoNavi personally, but they seem to have higher marketshare than Google or Baidu in the GPS space: http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/business/2012-06/14/content_15500731.htm

Text-to-speech is no longer tied to your region settings. Before, you couldn't ask iOS to read say, Chinese or Japanese out loud unless you set your entire OS language to the language you want read out.

There are podcast-specific widget controls in lockscreen and the multitask widget bar when you are playing a podcast, letting you rewind/fast-forward by 15 seconds.

You can have more tabs than fit on screen on the iPad (I'm not sure if this is new).

Definitely new. The current limit is 9 tabs. I'm guessing that's exclusive to the 3rd gen since it has 1GB ram?

numble

Definitely new. The current limit is 9 tabs. I'm guessing that's exclusive to the 3rd gen since it has 1GB ram?
No, I'm using it on iPad 2. I'm not sure if there's a limit, but I'm sure pages refresh if you're out of memory. I find that pages seem to dump out of memory less often, too. Here it is with 18 tabs--if you scrolled down on that list, you'll see more tabs to access (mostly empty pages since I just loaded them up for the screenshot):
jPNDll.jpg

Edit: I think I just triggered some bugs by opening so many tabs.

For those of you that didn't know, iOS 5 supports animated gifs in iMessage. They don't appear to be working in iOS 6. I really hope this is just a bug in the beta, since my friends and I LOVE sending each other stupid gifs via iMessage. Can anybody else confirm that they are/aren't working under iOS 6. I'm using a 4S, for reference.

Cr0wn0

the gif thing is a weird bug. I sent my wife 3 of the exact same gifs and two would animate on iOS6. I really wish it would animate them in the photos app full screen.

Grrrr, my Notification Center is now filled with Facebook birthdays of people whose birthdays I don't really care about.

How can I stop this? I've turned off both Birthdays calendars (Facebook & Other) in the Calendar app. They don't even show in the Calendar app now.

Appleman

I'm pretty sure that a friend and I tested .gif sending in iOS 5 and whether the device was on 3G or WiFi determined whether it would animate.

I could be remembering incorrectly though...

hirokazu

Tidbits:
Is that only for routing? Google's maps for China has a lot more information than Apple's currently does if you compare iOS 5 Maps to iOS 6.

Sean

Banned
May have been mentioned already, but just noticed that Apple changed the Safari toolbar from "Google" to just plain "Search" so that there is no Google branding anywhere (even though Google is paying Apple hundreds of millions to be the default search engine). Apple must really hate Google, heh.

May have been mentioned already, but just noticed that Apple changed the Safari toolbar from "Google" to just plain "Search" so that there is no Google branding anywhere (even though Google is paying Apple hundreds of millions to be the default search engine). Apple must really hate Google, heh.
Apple search engine incoming :p

Zutroy

I have been kinda window-shopping for a third-party GPS app for a while but decided to hold off until Apple came up with their own. Free, and probably better.
You could have had co-pilot for years. I've also no doubt that it'll continue to be better than Apples offer, given the fact that it doesn't have to stream the data. It also has all the features dedicated sat-navs have like lane changes.

FerranMG

So people trying out the beta, how is the battery life?

Been running iOS 6 for 24 hours on my iPhone 4, and I'd say it's about the same.

Yesterday I had the battery die on me, which is not something that usually happens, but it was after trying all the new features in iOS during the day, so I'd say it could be due to more extensive usage instead of shorter battery life.

I'm having troubles, though, with my wifi new iPad.
I installed iOS 6 (thanks a lot, cjelly!), and now it won't connect to my router at home.
Haven't tried other routers, but it's certainly a major problem for me.
Has anyone had the same issue?
I know it's a beta, but if anyone knows a workaround it would be great to know.

Also, is it easy to restore to 5.1? Have never tried to downgrade.

If I remember correctly, it was difficult to downgrade to iOS 4 from iOS 5. That might have been because of some huge differences between the two or something though.

I wonder if Apple pulled a lot of devs from iOS to OS X with iOS 6 and Mountain Lion, because ML seems like a huge update for a year's worth of development time, while iOS 6 is disappointing compared to iOS 5 and iOS 4.

I am excited for the new APIs that allow better file sharing between apps, as it'll be another step in making iDevices closer to fully functional creation devices/desktops, but it's really only a step, and there's a lot more to do than just polish. I'll be interested to see what additional features Apple reveals of iOS 6 at the new iPhone launch.

suikodan

Anyone having a problem with the iTunes Store for app updates?

1- I don't see the download progress bar anymore
2- *I think* that the interface changed somehow
3- It seems that I don't have to enter my password when buying/updating
4- The Download button just display some variable k.display.button.app.whatever

Also, anyone tried FaceTime over 3G and checked their data usage? I'm curious to see if I'll use FT over 3G or not.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Been running iOS 6 for 24 hours on my iPhone 4, and I'd say it's about the same.

Yesterday I had the battery die on me, which is not something that usually happens, but it was after trying all the new features in iOS during the day, so I'd say it could be due to more extensive usage instead of shorter battery life.

I installed iOS 6 (thanks a lot, cjelly!), and now it won't connect to my router at home.

Apple says:

Apple said:
Devices updated to iOS 6 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS. Registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS 6 software.

dyls

Good to know.

You don't need to go into dfu. I had the same problem with wifi so I simply restored to a 5.1.1 ipsw from iTunes.

I'm trying again by updating to iOS 6, rather than restoring to it as I did last time.

edit: Didn't help. And I use a clear wire iSpot which doesn't seem to have any WMM settings. Guess I'm going back to 5.1.1 (again) until the next beta.

theo

Contest Winner

Go into your routers settings and enable WMM (wifi multimedia). This fixed the issue for me. Was located under applications and gaming tab/ qos on my linksys router

rozay

Banned
Wow! Your life must be unbearable.
it's a totally welcome feature though, missing things like that have been really frustrating coming from an android phone, the worst being not being able to attach files from the mail client (which also got implemented here)

giga

Oh snap holding down compose shows your drafts. And holding down back on safari shows your history. Previously limited to the iPad. iOS 6 doesn't have many major changes like previous releases, but there's a ton of these small little additions that are nice.

FerranMG

Go into your routers settings and enable WMM (wifi multimedia). This fixed the issue for me. Was located under applications and gaming tab/ qos on my linksys router

Will try, thanks!

Though it seems I'll have to spend some time updating my router's firmware, because I can't find this option anywhere, though apparently it exists. :/

Top Bottom