• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

kinggroin

Banned
Wwwwwoooooowww...

OK ok. It seems damn near every issue I had with ios has been solved. This update is probably one of the most substantial yet in bringing cohesiveness and improvements to how the os talks to other apps! It was almost embarrassing how shit ios 5 was in many ways. Hell, even siri has become worth a damn!

Not sure I can ditch Widgets and modularity just yet, but everyday that goes by without a unification and tightening of Google's services, makes me that much more willing to go iPhone 5 end of year.

Let's see what IO brings.

Dartastic

I think one of the more irritating things that I can't discover how to fix is that when my phone syncs up my facebook friends and my contacts, they don't allow me to edit the facebook friends at all, so I can't consolidate contacts. I wind up having lots of duplicates in my address book. Bah.

numble

Podcasts getting their own app:
http://allthingsd.com/20120615/apple-gives-podcasts-a-gentle-push-out-of-itunes/
So why have podcasts disappeared from the new version of iTunes that Apple started showing to developers this week?
Because Apple plans on giving the recordings their own bit of digital turf.
People familiar with Apple’s plans tell me that when its new iOS 6 software becomes widely available this fall, podcasts will have their own app, where users will be able to discover, download and play them on mobile devices. Users who access iTunes via laptop and desktop machines will still find them in that version of iTunes, though.

JCreasy

For those with the beta:

If you don't sign-in with a Facebook account, does that Facebook icon still show-up in all the share menus? Is it possible to shut that option out if you don't want to see it every time you want to share?

NGAMER9

That's great news, they should have always had their own separate app. It never made sense to me that they were shoehorned into the music apps.

numble

For those with the beta:

If you don't sign-in with a Facebook account, does that Facebook icon still show-up in all the share menus? Is it possible to shut that option out if you don't want to see it every time you want to share?

It shows up, I think Weibo also shows up. I imagine they'll fix that soon, since most people in the West don't use Weibo. The quick Facebook button doesn't show up in Notification Center if you don't sign in though.

Double D

So, cjelly PM'd me back saying all was good with my device, but I have no idea where or how to upgrade to iOS6. Also, I'm currently on jailbroken 5.0.1, if it matters.

So, cjelly PM'd me back saying all was good with my device, but I have no idea where or how to upgrade to iOS6. Also, I'm currently on jailbroken 5.0.1, if it matters.
Click on your device in iTunes. Shift click on restore and then a file window will pop up for you to point Itunes to the beta software ipsw file and click open, getting the file shouldn't be too hard, a lot of people link where to get em in YT videos on Ios6.

Double D

Click on your device in iTunes. Shift click on restore and then a file window will pop up for you to point Itunes to the beta software ipsw file and click open, getting the file shouldn't be too hard, a lot of people link where to get em in YT videos on Ios6.

You are super. Anything else I should know before jumping in? I vaguely remember reading something about needing to do something to music beforehand

You are super. Anything else I should know before jumping in? I vaguely remember reading something about needing to do something to music beforehand
Yeah you'll lose them, so just back em up with sharepod, it will copy all the playlists and music to the music folder and itunes.

JCreasy

Yes, it does.

No, it isn't.

It shows up, I think Weibo also shows up. I imagine they'll fix that soon, since most people in the West don't use Weibo. The quick Facebook button doesn't show up in Notification Center if you don't sign in though.

Blargh! At least Notification Center behaves right -- a small reprieve.

I really hope they update this and allow non-Facebook users to shut that icon out by not logging in at least. I don't want FB polluting my experience with iOS.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

hirokazu

I was able to downgrade without dfu, no hassle at all. I like the changes to ios six but the music player is too slow and buggy for daily use.

Will be there for the next upgrade to see if things change.
I just learned that today. Crashed the entire phone, requiring hard reset. :(

This is great, hopefully better than the instacast app I have, which is pretty great. Also, I hate how video podcasts/audiopodcasts are separated in iOS5.

It's way overdue. Instacast has really gotten polished over the past 2 months. Apple's app will have to be very good for me to not relegate it to my "not used" folder.

hirokazu

Does the maps app have a Streetview Mode? They didn't show that, and unlike Flyover it actually has a practical use.

No, Google spent a lot of resources getting StreetView, they're not gonna just share it when Apple is now a mapping competitor. Seems to me like the future of mapping is to integrate the StreetView imagery into the 3D Fly Over so that it's a seamless experience going from fly over view to street level view.

Enco

Street view is amazing.

I honestly don't see Apple getting their own version any time soon. I'll probably use the official Google Maps app when it releases along with the other Apple Maps app.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I didn't even realize I could access street view on my phone until this thread. lol

It doesnt really affect me but google did say they will be releasing an app.

Vyer

Re: Podcasts. Instacast is great, but I think I've found Downcast even better. I tried it after seeing it mentioned in the iOS thread. Interested in seeing what Apple comes up with.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
The main problem with Apple ditching Google maps is that Apple doesn't allow you to change the default program. So addresses will open in Apple's inferior program. Lack of flexibility and openness is easily the main downside to iOS.

Majine

Banned
Re: Podcasts. Instacast is great, but I think I've found Downcast even better. I tried it after seeing it mentioned in the iOS thread. Interested in seeing what Apple comes up with.

My problem with Instacast is despite that I set it up so it would only download the latest episode, and delete old ones, I found out that I had tons of episodes downloaded and it was slowly filling up all the space on my iPad. So I had to manually delete all the old ones.

There is a podcast button in ios 6 on my ipad, not sure where the whole seperate app thing came from...

Apparently the build they're showing off to devs isn't the same as the one being seeded via the dev. center.

And yea, the actual iTunes.app (Store) doesn't have Podcasts. Music still does.

I don't see Podcasts in Music or iTunes in iOS6 on a new iPad.

"Podcasts" is gone from the computer's menu in the beta Apple TV software too. It always existed as a separate application on there anyway, so it was redundant, but it hints that its removal from iOS has purpose.

Holy Wars

Banned
Please tell me that in iOS6 there is now a brightness slider in the app switcher like on the iPad.

Gotta save something for iOS 7.

It's baffling how incredible simple things like status bar icons for emails/texts etc and toggles for basic functions like brightness in the Notification Centre haven't been added.

Top Bottom