• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Purexed

Banned
Got the new iOS6 on my 4S, and I'm thrilled with the fact it better speaks to my new Camry's touchscreen system. I was floored when I got the message on my car's touchscreen display that I had a new text message. That didn't happen before. :)

numble

Does anyone use an app that plays sounds on top of what's playing from the music player? Nike+GPS didn't seem to be able to give me voice feedback while I was running.

pretty sure it was like this in at least ios 4+5

No, not just by holding it.

Uhm.. unless I'm doing something wrong , if I press and hold the back button... nothing happens. Then when I release it, it goes to the page before, and that's it.

You must be :)

iOS 5 on iPhone doesn't have the history list. iOS6 brings up a list similar to the iPad behaviour.

This

Trying to find some other stuff, but seems like everyone has got them all already!

D-Back

There isn't one in the iTunes app though, and clicking podcast links in Safari will just give you an error in iTunes.

There is a podcasts button in itunes on my ipad running ios 6... takes me to a page with just some featured ones at top but nothing else:

41028b92.jpg

Doodis

Does anyone use an app that plays sounds on top of what's playing from the music player? Nike+GPS didn't seem to be able to give me voice feedback while I was running.
Runkeeper does this (ducks the music down when providing audio cues).

Majine

Banned
Dunno if this is in iOS6, but I kinda want a better purchasing experience. In iOS up to now, when you buy or download an app, you're automatically thrown out of the store and is forced to watch your app download.

Just ask me if I want to continue being in the App store, maybe ask where I want my app, and send a notification when it's done downloading.

Dunno if this is in iOS6, but I kinda want a better purchasing experience. In iOS up to now, when you buy or download an app, you're automatically thrown out of the store and is forced to watch your app download.

Just ask me if I want to continue being in the App store, maybe ask where I want my app, and send a notification when it's done downloading.

They completely fixed it. Updates don't even require passwords. You never get kicked from the storefront

You're in luck.

It doesn't throw you out anymore.

Instead when you go back to your homescreen you'll see a "New" banner tied across the app you downloaded:

Wow. The new Javascript engine in Safari iOS6 is a LOT faster. I can't wait to get the new iPhone to see what it's like with less of a CPU bottleneck!

Edit: (I'm an iPhone 4 user).

Wow. The new Javascript engine in Safari iOS6 is a LOT faster. I can't wait to get the new iPhone to see what it's like with less of a CPU bottleneck!

Edit: (I'm an iPhone 4 user).
Yeah, it's probably the most shocking part of the beta so far. iOS 6 runs great on the 4, and Safari is noticeably faster.

Majine

Banned
Aight, this might be the best feature yet. The toplists on the App Store are once again vertical, not horisontal as they stupidly changed it to a couple of months ago. Thanks.

Tuck

They're all now properly centered, where previously it was only Mon. Also, the color gradient status bar seems to make more sense now. It matches whatever color the app menu bar is using;

iOS-6-status-bar-color-matching-image-002.jpg

iOS-6-status-bar-color-matching-image-001.jpg

via iDownloadBlog
sorry if already posted

Gah whhhhhhy?

I wanted them to do black all the time. So much nicer. Damn it Apple.

Yeah, it's probably the most shocking part of the beta so far. iOS 6 runs great on the 4, and Safari is noticeably faster.

Yup. I had no idea how bad ios5 safari was on my iPhone 4 until I compared with my iPad 3. I always thought things were slow because of my 3g connection. Need the 5 so bad.

numble

Some things I found in the WWDC slides.

Example of Routing apps showing up in Maps app, filtered by the geography of your location search:
qrIOKl.jpg

Passbook doesn't require companion apps for passes:
JbjYU.jpg

Example of getting a coupon pass in an email:
EhLF2l.jpg

kehs

Banned
Some things I found in the WWDC slides.

Example of Routing apps showing up in Maps app, filtered by the geography of your location search:
qrIOKl.jpg

Passbook doesn't require companion apps for passes:
JbjYU.jpg

Example of getting a coupon pass in an email:
EhLF2l.jpg

It's good to see a semblance of options for "default" apps.

bananas

Banned
Really excited about PassBook for some reason.

I would never take them with me because I thought it was inconvenient, but with this I'll now have coupons with me.

Talon

Passbook will be interesting. This is clearly their way into mobile payments - they already have all our credit card information via Apple IDs.

Passbook is probably the iOS6 feature I am most excited about, along with turn-by-turn GPS and not having to type in my password every time I want to update a fucking app.

bananas

Banned
Microsoft demoed their own Wallet system for WP8 today as well and it looks like it's taking Apple's approach as well as Secure SIM for Debit/Credit cards.

I wonder if Apple will do the same. Apple will have a huge advantage by the sheer fact that they have so many iPhones.

Gotta lol at Google Wallet though. That thing went nowhere.

KtSlime

I haven't have a thorough look at Passbook, but it looks like it could be used as a general digital payment system *now*. An app like Square, or PayPal could probably make a passbook card file, and retailers could use a barcode reader. I do imagine Apple will show us more about Passbook in October, it is probably going to be a key feature in the new iPhone.

I haven't have a thorough look at Passbook, but it looks like it could be used as a general digital payment system *now*. An app like Square, or PayPal could probably make a passbook card file, and retailers could use a barcode reader. I do imagine Apple will show us more about Passbook in October, it is probably going to be a key feature in the new iPhone.

This is how the Starbucks app works now and I'd love if other businesses did the same.

I'm wondering if you guys could help me with an issue with my iPhone. I downloaded Downcast with the hope of being able to better mange my podcasts, but also directly download mp3 files. So far, works great with podcasts. But one of the "podcasts" I listen to is really just a recording of a morning radio show. They don't have a feed or anything. You just go to the site and download the mp3. I have looked at Downcast's support page and haven't found anything

So, how would I do the equivalent of "save as" with this file?

http://www.sports790.com/cc-common/...Clane_Jr_on_a_mobile_web_1338906965_30328.mp3

Thanks for any help

I've never used Downcast so I don't know if you can download mp3s from within the app, but I would use iCab mobile to browse to that link, download the file and then open it with whatever app you want.

Passbook is probably the iOS6 feature I am most excited about, along with turn-by-turn GPS and not having to type in my password every time I want to update a fucking app.
Not the do not disturb thing, since you talked about it on the podcast so much I thought that would be one of your most anticipated.

Me too. So far for the new iPhone and iOS6, it's Passbook with RFID, a new Camera (coming from the iPhone 4), and to be honest, the faster CPU, allowing for faster web browsing, especially when combined with iOS6's new Javascript engine.

Anyone running the beta of iOS 6 used it with a Ford Sync system yet? I'm curious if now shows text message alerts with Sync. This wasn't supported in the past but may be now.

giga

This is how the Starbucks app works now and I'd love if other businesses did the same.

I've never used Downcast so I don't know if you can download mp3s from within the app, but I would use iCab mobile to browse to that link, download the file and then open it with whatever app you want.
Yeah I love the Starbucks app and being able to pay with it. What other apps are like it?

NFC payments are going nowhere anytime soon so I'd like to see this concept of bar code payments and readers expanded. Hopefully passbook encourages companies to take advantage.

Yeah I love the Starbucks app and being able to pay with it. What other apps are like it?

NFC payments are going nowhere anytime soon so I'd like to see this concept of bar code payments and readers expanded. Hopefully passbook encourages companies to take advantage.

While not exactly the same you can check into many airlines with essentially the same process although usually the barcode is in an email and not in an app. Edit: I think the same goes for Amtrak.

As much as I hope NFC payments take off so I can get rid of my real wallet I think you're right in that it'll be quite a while until it becomes really useful. The barcode system is a decent stop gap solution.

Hoo-doo

Banned
What's the easiest way to downgrade to 5.1.1 again from the iOS 6 beta?

Just download the 5.1.1 firmware and update with it in iTunes, correct? Does anyone have that link to the firmware versions handy?

I got tired of iOS6 fucking up my apps. There's a lot of things in it that I like, but Air Video doesn't work, that's a game breaker for me.

HoTHiTTeR

What's the easiest way to downgrade to 5.1.1 again from the iOS 6 beta?

Just download the 5.1.1 firmware and update with it in iTunes, correct? Does anyone have that link to the firmware versions handy?

I got tired of iOS6 fucking up my apps. There's a lot of things in it that I like, but Air Video doesn't work, that's a game breaker for me.

On a Mac I think it's Option+click on restore, on PC it's Shift+click on restore.
Files; http://ios.e-lite.org/

Nevasleep

Subway loyalty card uses a barcode, so hopefully they'll get on it, along with other loyalty cards.
However you might still need an app to see points, and for their marketing.

Subway loyalty card uses a barcode, so hopefully they'll get on it, along with other loyalty cards.
However you might still need an app to see points, and for their marketing.

That's actually a good point, I don't recall any mention of seeing a balance on certain cards in passbook? That's a pretty big part of the Starbucks app at least.

snacknuts

we all knew her

It's a great feature, but Starbucks had to replace basically every barcode scanner they had to make sure they would be able to read phone screens. I can see a lot of companies not wanting to make that investment.

Top Bottom