• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

http://i.imgur.com/uBcTl.png

Thanks, that's great.

It's a great feature, but Starbucks had to replace basically every barcode scanner they had to make sure they would be able to read phone screens. I can see a lot of companies not wanting to make that investment.

That makes sense, hopefully this along with Windows Phone 8s wallet and whatever Google either does or ends up doing will convince more retailers to make the switch.

kehs

Banned
That's actually a good point, I don't recall any mention of seeing a balance on certain cards in passbook? That's a pretty big part of the Starbucks app at least.

I think the passbook shows whatever info the provider wants to surface. So you don't personally add your rewards card to the passbook, instead your Starbucks app talks to the passbook and passes along the info.

(I think)

It's a great feature, but Starbucks had to replace basically every barcode scanner they had to make sure they would be able to read phone screens. I can see a lot of companies not wanting to make that investment.

Barcode scanners can read off screens just fine.

giga

I think the passbook shows whatever info the provider wants to surface. So you don't personally add your rewards card to the passbook, instead your Starbucks app talks to the passbook and passes along the info.

(I think)
Pretty much. I'm glad they don't need to make an app either.

Pass Kit is a new technology that uses web services, a new file format, and an Objective-C framework (PassKit.framework) to implement support for downloadable passes. Companies can create passes to represent items such as coupons, boarding passes, event tickets, and discount cards for businesses. Instead of carrying a physical representation of these items, users can now store them on their iOS device and use them the same way as before.

Passes are created by your company’s web service and delivered to the user’s device via email, Safari, or your custom app. The pass itself uses a special file format and is cryptographically signed before being delivered. The file format identifies relevant information about the service being offered so that the user knows what it is for. It might also contain a bar code or other information that you can then use to validate the card so that it can be redeemed or used.

Very slick, and they can roll NFC in when it's time.

Perhaps with iPhone 5?

"PassBook is great on all of your existing iPhones, but now it's even better on iPhone 5. Paying for something at a store has never been this easy. Just hold the phone up and boom, it's done. We are partnering with several major retailers across the globe to make sure you can use PassBook almost anywhere."

Starbucks has Drive Through in the US? lol

starbucks-drive-thru.jpg

buhdeh

I used the Starbucks app to pay for my coffee and couple times and both times it was muuuuch slower than just using my card. First time it wouldn't scan and I had to turn up the brightness, second time the cashier had to go over the code 2-3 times before it scanned through. So yeah, I've gone back to just carrying my Starbucks card.

Kinda annoying when there are 5-8 people in line behind you wishing you just paid with your card instead. I'd rather have NFC or something where I can just tap my phone on and pay instead of using a scanner.

I used the Starbucks app to pay for my coffee and couple times and both times it was muuuuch slower than just using my card. First time it wouldn't scan and I had to turn up the brightness, second time the cashier had to go over the code 2-3 times before it scanned through. So yeah, I've gone back to just carrying my Starbucks card.

Kinda annoying when there are 5-8 people in line behind you wishing you just paid with your card instead. I'd rather have NFC or something where I can just tap my phone on and pay instead of using a scanner.

I've only ever had a problem using my phone at starbucks once and I was still faster than most people. Especially those disgusting people who still use cash.

Tobor

Perhaps with iPhone 5?

"PassBook is great on all of your existing iPhones, but now it's even better on iPhone 5. Paying for something at a store has never been this easy. Just hold the phone up and boom, it's done. We are partnering with several major retailers across the globe to make sure you can use PassBook almost anywhere."

Replace "iPhone 5" with "The New iPhone" and I think you're on the money.

flyover

Replace "iPhone 5" with "The New iPhone" and I think you're on the money.

Yup. Might as well get used to no more numbers for phones and iPads. Makes sense, actually. This year's will be called "The New iPhone" at first. But we'll soon be referring to it as the 2012 iPhone, and then the 2013 iPhone, etc. We do it with cars and other Apple computers, so it just makes sense that a product released on a yearly schedule would be referred to by its year.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah I love the Starbucks app and being able to pay with it. What other apps are like it?

NFC payments are going nowhere anytime soon so I'd like to see this concept of bar code payments and readers expanded. Hopefully passbook encourages companies to take advantage.

I dunno. I already use NFC for about 80% of my payments, the only difference is that it's NFC from my credit card rather than NFC from my phone.

giga

I dunno. I already use NFC for about 80% of my payments, the only difference is that it's NFC from my credit card rather than NFC from my phone.
Probably different in Canada. In the US we have Google Wallet which works with few retailers and phones. The carriers are also pilot testing their own service called ISIS, but it's available in just two cities.

Yup. Might as well get used to no more numbers for phones and iPads. Makes sense, actually. This year's will be called "The New iPhone" at first. But we'll soon be referring to it as the 2012 iPhone, and then the 2013 iPhone, etc. We do it with cars and other Apple computers, so it just makes sense that a product released on a yearly schedule would be referred to by its year.
Probably "the fifth generation iPhone" like it is with iPods and iPads now.

Probably "the fifth generation iPhone" like it is with iPods and iPads now.

Wouldn't it be the sixth generation? I really can't see it being named anything other than "The New iPhone" I would have said "iPhone 4G" but they kind of killed off that name when they renamed AT&Ts 3G to 4G.

numble

I've tried the Turn-By-Turn driving recently. It's actually pretty good, the interface is much better looking than the GPS systems I've used in the past, but that was about 4 years ago. It was in a major US metropolitan area, so it might be different elsewhere. It tells you exactly which turn to take when you get off an offramp with multiple options, so that was nice. It doesn't display info like your speed and time to destination, I know you can ask Siri for the latter, not sure about the former.

Siri taking up the whole screen is sub-optimal, I think. If you want to ask it about stuff like how much longer to the destination, it shouldn't take up the whole screen.

The maps missed a new small street that was created at least a year ago.

Asking Siri to get you directions to X is pretty nice, when it works. It pops right into the Turn-By-Turn system.

Aesthet1c

Anybody have any issues receiving or making calls on iOS 6? It's probably about 50% of the time, but when I try to answer a call, my phone will basically act like both sides are on mute. The call connects but we can't hear each other.

I'm on AT&T, but I never had this issue on iOS 5.

Anybody have any issues receiving or making calls on iOS 6? It's probably about 50% of the time, but when I try to answer a call, my phone will basically act like both sides are on mute. The call connects but we can't hear each other.

Nope.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Probably different in Canada. In the US we have Google Wallet which works with few retailers and phones. The carriers are also pilot testing their own service called ISIS, but it's available in just two cities.

Do you guys not have MasterCard PayPass? Maybe not? Yikes. I knew America was bankwards on banking, but holy shit. I seriously just tap my card on a sensor at the top of the debit machine for about 80% of my purchases or so. Other 20% I have to swipe and enter a pin.

I remember in the early 90s when Debit cards became a big deal here. From the time I got my first job as a young teenager, I never used cash to buy anything. I understand that it was quite a while for point-of-sale debit to catch on in the US.

:/

numble

I thought I saw it in a pic from the conference.
The distance to the next turn is nice and and large in those green highway billboards. The ETA to destination shows up when you tap the screen, along with options to end and see a top down overview (and options to see the directions in a list).

l7dEZl.jpg

Siri can tell you the ETA, but takes over the screen when doing so.

I hope there is an option to display the ETA all the time, not just when you tap the screen. A constantly updated ETA is something I'm used to just being able to glance at on my current (otherwise totally shitty) dedicated in-car GPS.

YES HAPPENED TO ME WITH MY IPHONE 4.

I could not hear when making outgoing calls. Incoming calls worked just fine.

Okay question. Do you connect your car to the phone via bluetooth? (or use bluetooth). What fixed my issue was "reconnecting" my phone to the car then disconnecting my phone like normal. I think for some reason my phone still thought it was paired and was passing audio to the car system.

ramyeon

Anyone here running the beta experience the phone sometimes soft resetting during calls? It goes to turn off, screen goes black with the loading ring and then turns on again while keeping the call connected. Wondering if this is a beta issue or not.

My speaker on my phone just randomly stopped working on my iPhone 4, even when downgrading to iOS 5.1, until my alarm went off in the morning and everything worked again.

Went off iOS 6 just to be safe though. Not going to deal with that when my AppleCare expires in two days.

giga

On the topic of Maps, here's a bit more on how transit apps are created.

1. Declare what types of routing your app will provide.

lf6ZA.png

2. Specify what coordinates it can be used in. Single state, an entire country, specific cities, etc. If you're trying to route to a place that's outside the boundaries of an app, Maps won't show the application.

6Wgz0.png

3. Handle launches from the Maps app. That is, when a user wants to route to a new location from their existing location, it should be seamless when they click "Route" in the transit interface. It'll then switch to the app and the route and directions should be automatically shown.

LIxIy.png

Do you guys not have MasterCard PayPass? Maybe not? Yikes. I knew America was bankwards on banking, but holy shit. I seriously just tap my card on a sensor at the top of the debit machine for about 80% of my purchases or so. Other 20% I have to swipe and enter a pin.

I remember in the early 90s when Debit cards became a big deal here. From the time I got my first job as a young teenager, I never used cash to buy anything. I understand that it was quite a while for point-of-sale debit to catch on in the US.

:/
We do. PayPass is what Google Wallet uses. But I don't use it because:

1. I prefer my citi card rewards (Visa).
2. Not many merchants use it around me. A quick search using their locator (http://www.mastercard.us/cardholder-services/paypass-locator.html) gives me places like McDonalds, a few pharmacies, Hope Depot, BP, and Einstein Bagels.

There's no support for places like Aldis, Trader Joes, Costco, restaurants/coffee shops, etc.

Aesthet1c

YES HAPPENED TO ME WITH MY IPHONE 4.

I could not hear when making outgoing calls. Incoming calls worked just fine.

Okay question. Do you connect your car to the phone via bluetooth? (or use bluetooth). What fixed my issue was "reconnecting" my phone to the car then disconnecting my phone like normal. I think for some reason my phone still thought it was paired and was passing audio to the car system.

I don't use bluetooth on my phone. The only thing that might be related is I plug my phone into my stereo through the dock connection on the bottom. This has also been problematic and about 50% success rate (sometimes the phone doesn't recognize it's plugged into the stero) since upgrading to iOS 6.

I am also on an iPhone 4.

numble

I'm assuming the new Maps will have considerably more information than this, and more comparable to that of Google Maps, right?

w680.jpg
Apple hides more street labels, as well as stores and transit stops, until you are at closer zoom settings; all the streets are there, even NYC subway stops. I think they will tweak it, it seems to be too aggressive, requiring you to be zoomed way in, and seems to be tuned to the zoom level of turn-by-turn, where you are super-zoomed in and only see the labels for the next two or three streets. It works nicely in that mode, since you don't want to see so many things, but they sometimes hide a bit too much in topdown mode at "normal" zoom modes.

I think I'd prefer something in between the busy-ness of Google Maps and sparse current Apple Maps. I actually like some of the cartographic and typographic designs.
Eltspl.jpg

numble

Examples of how the display of information on their maps needs tweaking. I start from a "normal" zoom mode, or what users are used to looking at. And I'll keep zooming in to reveal the stuff they chose to hide at the prior zoom level. Every little bit of extra zoom reveals something new, but maybe they shouldn't be so aggressive with hiding everything under such high zoom levels.

alxlEl.jpg

odmhTl.jpg

VI58Hl.jpg

pcMppl.jpg

aMzObl.jpg

bktMQl.jpg

R2M80l.jpg

I do like that everything is vector-based and pretty much instantaneous when zooming in, and how maps for a large area seem to be loaded in once you got the general area--the maps server was down for a couple of hours this afternoon, but I could still use GPS and Maps around the area because I had loaded up the city earlier. No turn-by-turn with the server down, though.

Examples of how the display of information on their maps needs tweaking. I start from a "normal" zoom mode, or what users are used to looking at. And I'll keep zooming in to reveal the stuff they chose to hide at the prior zoom level. Every little bit of extra zoom reveals something new, but maybe they shouldn't be so aggressive with hiding everything under such high zoom levels.

http://i.imgur.com/alxlEl.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/odmhTl.jpg[/mg]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/VI58Hl.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/pcMppl.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/aMzObl.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/bktMQl.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/R2M80l.jpg[/ig]

I do like that everything is vector-based and pretty much instantaneous when zooming in, and how maps for a large area seem to be loaded in once you got the general area--the maps server was down for a couple of hours this afternoon, but I could still use GPS and Maps around the area because I had loaded up the city earlier. No turn-by-turn with the server down, though.[/QUOTE]

One thing I noticed about these images is that for long streets/roads, the app doesn't repeat the road name. For example, look at my image below, if I'm zoomed in at this level, how will I know what the green/red/blue road name is?

[IMG]http://i.minus.com/ibfllScjBSa7a0.jpg

No turn-by-turn with the server down, though.

How dependent is turn-by-turn on the server? Does it just use the server to calculate a route and then that whole route is pulled down and stored locally or is it constantly going back to the server during the route?

numble

One thing I noticed about these images is that for long streets/roads, the app doesn't repeat the road name. For example, look at my image below, if I'm zoomed in at this level, how will I know what the green/red/blue road name is?

ibfllScjBSa7a0.jpg
Yeah, that's why I say I think it needs tweaking. It seems to want to put street names right in the middle of the block, or at intersections, but only when they fit, and it isn't putting them there when there are one-way arrows in the middle of the block. It wants to repeat street names very rarely, mostly when the street turns an angle and is no longer completely straight.

I think they spent a lot of time tuning for Turn-By-Turn mode, but less for overview mode. It's very aggressive about hiding things from you, which makes sense in Turn-By-Turn mode (you don't see names of streets until you,re about to come up on them), but not as much sense in overview mode.

numble

How dependent is turn-by-turn on the server? Does it just use the server to calculate a route and then that whole route is pulled down and stored locally or is it constantly going back to the server during the route?
I don't know, I never tested it. It does re-route you automatically if you diverge from the route, so it's probably calling the server for that. They also mentioned that they'll recommend better routes if there's traffic, so it might be polling the server for that. I did try changing Siri's language in the middle of a session, but the language remained English for the turn-by-turn directions until I closed the session and restarted it. It does seem to be pretty data efficient, since I've been running on a T-Mobile EDGE connection, and it announces the directions (when to turn, etc.) when you should hear them.

The quickest way to bring it up is to use Siri and say "Get me directions to X." When it works, it jumps straight to turn-by-turn, and routes you to the location from your current location. Doing so from the map requires you to open Maps, press the directions button, enter the location, press route, choose/confirm the route, and press start.

I can try setting a route and turning on airplane mode sometime. Right now the routing server is down (but not the general maps).

I need to retract my statement before about everything being preloaded because I had loaded it earlier. I think it was just the directions server that was taken down, but not the general maps server. I assumed the whole maps server was down because they gave me a "maps server is unavailable" notification when I tried to use turn by turn earlier.

This has been very annoying for me and it's something I imagine will be fixed before iOS6 comes out of beta.

I hope there is an option to display the ETA all the time, not just when you tap the screen. A constantly updated ETA is something I'm used to just being able to glance at on my current (otherwise totally shitty) dedicated in-car GPS.

the ETA only goes away if you tap the screen. It also only comes back if you tap the screen. It doesn't disappear or appear automatically.

hope that helps!

numble

It appears to work if I turn off cellular data and wifi off after setting a route (if I go into Airplane mode, I think that turns off the GPS, which shuts turn by turn off). I haven't tried this while driving yet, though.

Top Bottom