• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

numble

How dependent is turn-by-turn on the server? Does it just use the server to calculate a route and then that whole route is pulled down and stored locally or is it constantly going back to the server during the route?
I just did some small tests. This was just with a small route of about 1 mile or so though.

I turned off cellular data and Turn-By-Turn worked just as well. It will even re-route you if you go off path, I took a bunch of deliberate missed and wrong turns, and it rerouted pretty well, it also didn't just try to get me to just circle back to the old route, but will tell you a different way to get to the destination if it's now more optimal, I think. But you can also get it into situations where it wants to ask the server for better directions.

I can try with a 18 mile route tomorrow, if I remember.

Tobor

I often get addresses of places in e-mail, like a restaurant to go to and I like to click on the address which takes me to maps and I can check out street view. This change would hinder that flow. Or heck, I often click on an address in various apps or even iMessage, so ya, it all affects the flow for how I use maps in my case.

It's funny, one man's broken is another man's fixed.

I get addresses in emails and text messages as well, but I don't need street view, I need turn by turn. Right now, I have to copy the address and paste it into my third party GPS app. I won't have to do that anymore, as I'll be able to click on the address and access turn by turn immediately. Copying and pasting to access street view for the extremely rare scenario I might use it is ok with me.

Not saying my use cases are better than yours, just pointing out that this isn't a downgrade for everyone. For me the new Maps looks like a solid upgrade.

numble

I just emailed them to myself and they all work for me.
All five worked for me as well. Maybe try force quitting and relaunching Passbook numble?
I think it was something Goodreader did. I'll try re-emailing myself some of the other cards later. Force-quitting doesn't seem to fix it.

I get addresses in emails and text messages as well, but I don't need street view, I need turn by turn. Right now, I have to copy the address and paste it into my third party GPS app. I won't have to do that anymore, as I'll be able to click on the address and access turn by turn immediately. Copying and pasting to access street view for the extremely rare scenario I might use it is ok with me.

Not saying my use cases are better than yours, just pointing out that this isn't a downgrade for everyone. For me the new Maps looks like a solid upgrade.

The Yelp integration is also actually very nice. If you get an address for a restaurant, it has ratings, reviews, hours, photos of the food, and if it delivers, if it takes reservations, and is suitable for children.

Vector-based Maps and turn-by-turn are huge upgrades, the former makes Maps very usable even on the 2G TMobile connection that I use in the states.

If you rely on transit, you're boned though. And the maps outside of the US seem to need work. I almost never used street view, since I spend a lot of time outside the US.

noah111

Still Alive
I've come to the conclusion that iOS 6 is horrible. Hyperbole but the UI inconsistencies drive me mad. On one hand they are going the matte look everywhere, even with the main blue headers. On the other hand they stick with the gloss black nab bars and even changed the camera app's toolbar to a horrible looking glossy black.

The phone app has to be one of the worst stock apps i've ever seen, gfx wise.. you have the blue headers, with a white matte looking keypad (stock music app style) mixed with the old black gloss nav.

And then the inconsistent status bars across different apps. I'm fine with the coloring gradient thing, but if you're going to do it across all apps, don't hold out. Either yes or no. Yet you have apps like Safari or Video with blue headers and still a black status bar, for example. Feels copped out. The music app and app stores are going in the right direction, everything else feels like a half way/incomplete mess.

Speaking of the music app, the alphabetical grouping has done away with the transparent header labels, which make it feel like you're looking at less content on a list tbh. Settings app/icon is excellent, though.

But in all seriousness, i'm guessing a lot of these inconsistencies will be elevated by launch. This is still really early.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've come to the conclusion that iOS 6 is horrible. Hyperbole but the UI inconsistencies drive me mad. On one hand they are going the matte look everywhere, even with the main blue headers. On the other hand they stick with the gloss black nab bars and even changed the camera app's toolbar to a horrible looking glossy black.

The phone app has to be one of the worst stock apps i've ever seen, gfx wise.. you have the blue headers, with a white matte looking keypad (stock music app style) mixed with the old black gloss nav.

And then the inconsistent status bars across different apps. I'm fine with the coloring gradient thing, but if you're going to do it across all apps, don't hold out. Either yes or no. Yet you have apps like Safari or Video with blue headers and still a black status bar, for example. Feels copped out. The music app and app stores are going in the right direction, everything else feels like a half way/incomplete mess.

Speaking of the music app, the alphabetical grouping has done away with the transparent header labels, which make it feel like you're looking at less content on a list tbh. Settings app/icon is excellent, though.

But in all seriousness, i'm guessing a lot of these inconsistencies will be elevated by launch. This is still really early.

It's Beta 1 of a closed developer program, they're testing out different UI schemes and functions. That's one of the points of the program from Apple's POV, to see what works and what doesn't and collect feedback from the dev community. Essentially they're doing trial runs of "the consumer doesn't know what it wants so you'll have to show them", it'll be unified by launch guaranteed.

noah111

Still Alive
Right, hopefully the UI won't be as stagnated in the final release.

Obviously the greatest changes usually occur in the graphics department anyway, but I was just dogging what the weird things they're going with thus far.

Also, no 3D Maps for iPhone 4 sucks. I mean, the functionality is there for sure, just disabled...

KtSlime

Right, hopefully the UI won't be as stagnated in the final release.

Obviously the greatest changes usually occur in the graphics department anyway, but I was just dogging what the weird things they're going with thus far.

Also, no 3D for iPhone 4 sucks. I mean, the functionality is there for sure, just disabled...

I disagree - so what if the UI is a bit inconsistent? Since you can only have 1 app open at a time, what does it matter if they don't look exactly the same? It'd be like complaining about Bill having clashing clothes cause he wore plaid Wednesday and a flower print on Thursday.

kehs

Banned
I disagree - so what if the UI is a bit inconsistent? Since you can only have 1 app open at a time, what does it matter if they don't look exactly the same? It'd be like complaining about Bill having clashing clothes cause he wore plaid Wednesday and a flower print on Thursday.

I like this guy.

SuperPac

I did, but it automatically turns off the next day.

Do Not Disturb is a little bit tricky/fiddly. There are 2 settings entries for it - Immediate (in the first level of Settings) and Recurring (under Notifications).

Are you talking about the one visible when you first go into settings and there's a toggle on/off? That's the Immediate setting. Turning this on gives you quick access to DND if, for instance, you go into a meeting and you don't want to get calls/texts bothering you.

The DND settings under Notifications is your Recurring setting. If "Scheduled" is listed as "On" on this screen, then your Recurring DND will turn on as planned no matter what your Immediate setting is. However, if your Recurring DND setting turns "off" at 7 a.m., then it will also switch your Immediate setting to off.

You'll be able to tell if your Recurring setting is working by looking at the bar at the top. If you see the crescent moon symbol, then it worked and it's on. I do not think it changes the Immediate setting to "On" though — so if you went into Settings, DND would be listed as "Off" here (I think).

I've also noticed it doesn't turn on/off exactly at the stroke of the appointed time - usually within that minute it will, but not right on the money.

it'll be unified by launch guaranteed.

I really doubt it. Sentry has a point, especially when it comes to Phone.app. It's fucking disgusting.

BUT, at least you always know what app you are running.

Status bars being black and shaded at times makes total sense. If the whole app scrolls -> black, if there is always a big bar on top -> shaded. Nothing if not consistent.

Epix

Somewhat related.....Looks like iPhone 5 may have NFC:

We’ve previously been able to pull data from PreEVT iPhone 5,1 and iPhone 5,2 prototypes codenamed N41AP (5,1) and N42AP (5,2), which leads us to believe that the new iPhone will have a bigger 1136×640 display. We also detailed a lot of the hardware here but forgot one very important little bit. Further investigation into this hardware code dump leads us to believe that these iPhones also have Near Field Communication (NFC) controllers directly connected to the power management unit (PMU).

http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/25/new-iphone-prototypes-have-nfc-chips-and-antenna/

noah111

Still Alive
I really doubt it. Sentry has a point, especially when it comes to Phone.app. It's fucking disgusting.

BUT, at least you always know what app you are running.

Status bars being black and shaded at times makes total sense. If the whole app scrolls -> black, if there is always a big bar on top -> shaded. Nothing if not consistent.
It's still jarring. How do you define 'scroll', though? The videos app has a black status bar for example, while the settings app has a tinted one. Both are practically the same scrollable UI. They should ditch the glossy black nab bars entirely and replace it with either the white music nav bar or the black version in the app store. The whole half gloss half matte UI is what is most awkward, I think.

Even their new settings icon is an indicator of getting away from that gloss look. Next up: Mountain Lion dock on iOS. :p

Once they announced Passbook, I figured this was the year.
Yeah, that could be pretty amazing.

Zeppu

Someone somewhere mentioned that iMessage got Gtalk integration. Is this true? Is it available in the beta? Does it work properly? Will I stop receiving "I'm currently away and will reply as soon as I return to eBuddy on my iPhone" soon?

giga

Someone somewhere mentioned that iMessage got Gtalk integration. Is this true? Is it available in the beta? Does it work properly? Will I stop receiving "I'm currently away and will reply as soon as I return to eBuddy on my iPhone" soon?
You're probably thinking of Messages for Mac, which is a redesigned iChat with iMessage support. The messages app on iOS will only do sms, mms, and imessages.

Zeppu

You're probably thinking of Messages for Mac, which is a redesigned iChat with iMessage support. The messages app on iOS will only do sms, mms, and imessages.

Oh damn :(
How I wish they would implement something like that for the iPhone. That way the chat would still be running in the background, probably, and it'd solve a bunch of problems which I assume can't be fixed by third party programs.

What? This is something that Apple has been known for and people push as to why Apple is better than the rest. Seems silly to give them a pass now on it.

Ah, I still use my car's GPS even though I've got an app for my iPhone. I just have found a current excuse to use my phone instead since I find built in GPS systems to be more reliable than external ones. Not to mention, needing to mount it every time I get in the car; I'd rather leave it in my pocket. I can see how this is good for someone who does rely on their phone for GPS though.

What? This is something that Apple has been known for and people push as to why Apple is better than the rest. Seems silly to give them a pass now on it.
Huh? iCal, Address Book, Notes, Reminders, Notification Center, Game Center, Voice Memos, Find My Friends, iPhoto, etc.

I think a lot of the time you read/hear/believe what you want to when it comes to Apple.

numble

Maybe this will fix my weird Passbook bug. I added all of those fake passbook files from an email and it still was a just a blank screen that doesn't change despite force-quitting.

LCfiner

What is this gloss thing?

Are you checking in Software Update under Settings > General?

Just me whining that some apps have new flat shaded lower tab bars with non glossy elements meanwhile, apps like the phone still use the blue glossy highlight on the tab bar items while changing around other UI elements to be more matte. feels off to me.

Top Bottom