• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

I'm kind of in between regarding ios changes. I do think that visually there's not much left to improve, but a few interfaces changes would be nice...

For instance, iOS is the only OS I know that the interface where you organize your apps/folders are also the same which shows all the apps you have installed. That's a paradigm that works great when you don't have much, but become cumbersome when you add more things. All other oses (mobile or not) have a separate interface which lists all your items, and you can add them to you home view at your own terms, and already organize when you do.

Other than that, i would like to see something on the like of the sharing contracts of windows 8, so apps can globally interact without the need for the develop to code that interaction. And a way to share docs, not the send to application which copies the doc, but some way for the document to remain in its owner app, but to allow it to be edited in others. (with cloud storage solutions like Dropbox this would greatly improve productivity on ios).
SBSettings is like one of two reasons I still jailbreak. One day maybe they'll add quick toggles somewhere outside of settings :/
Try Ncsettings. It doesn't have all the addons Sbsettings does, but i find it better integrated to notification center and much better looking.

I don't understand the requirement to have a home screen and then a screen showing all your apps. My first home page is all the apps I use the most. Other than them, I just type what I want in the search page thing. I don't see what use an app drawer serves.

kehs

Banned
I don't understand the requirement to have a home screen and then a screen showing all your apps. My first home page is all the apps I use the most. Other than them, I just type what I want in the search page thing. I don't see what use an app drawer serves.

That's where you put the widgets.

Does the lack of youtube app mean we will not be able to upload the videos we took from our phone directly to youtube from the camera app?

Tobor

Agreed. It works just fine the way it is.

That's where you put the widgets.

On iOS, the widgets are in the drawer. The home screen is for apps.

Because it looks ugly, and can be problematic to mantain.

Assume you have the first 2 pages all beautifully organized, because all the apps you use the most are there. It's all awesome, but some day you discover this great new app and decide to put it in some of those 2 pages because you are going to use it so much.

If you have lots of unorganized apps you probably won't even have room for this new app to show up, so you will have to wait until you get on a computer so you can organize it using itunes, or you will have to group some of the apps that you have completely no interest in doing so now, just so you can make room for this new app to show up. And worse, once you make room for the new icons, you have to restart your device (or respring at least) otherwise they won't even show.

Having separate views for your most used apps and all your apps completely solves those problems.

Majine

Banned
This is good news (the Youtube stuff). The app is borderline useless and Google will have no problem cooking up something better.

Assume you have the first 2 pages all beautifully organized, because all the apps you use the most are there. It's all awesome, but some day you discover this great new app and decide to put it in some of those 2 pages because you are going to use it so much.

If you have lots of unorganized apps you probably won't even have room for this new app to show up, so you will have to wait until you get on a computer so you can organize it using itunes, or you will have to group some of the apps that you have completely no interest in doing so now, just so you can make room for this new app to show up. And worse, once you make room for the new icons, you have to restart your device (or respring at least) otherwise they won't even show.

Having separate views for your most used apps and all your apps completely solves those problems.

My first page is my most used apps. My second is entirely folders, with different apps in marked categories. I find this effortless to use and maintain.

lupinko

Does the lack of youtube app mean we will not be able to upload the videos we took from our phone directly to youtube from the camera app?

Nope, that feature is still there, repost on this page.

image53uy9.jpg

It's funny because the only widget I would use is one like SBSettings. On android the only widget I use is the quick toggles as well. Well also the clock one so I can get to the alarms faster.

Which is why I'm fine with the widgets being in the pull down.

SuperPac

Maybe I'm missing something here, but reorganizing your screens on iOS doesn't require you to get to a computer/iTunes to shuffle things around, make folders or group apps. And you definitely don't have to restart or "re-spring" to make them show up.

If you have the maximum number of home screens on your device already and are upset that the new app you're downloading doesn't show up, maybe you have a different issue.

Epix

Seems the latest iOS 6 beta supports automatic scaling to 640x1136. Someone hacked the iPhone SDK simulator to run at that resolution and tested both the latest iOS 6 beta as well as iOS 5.1. The iOS 6 beta added a 5th row of icons while the 5.1 software simply stretched the 4 icon layout.

Also:
Notably, setting the iOS simulator to resolutions other than 1136x640 does not result in automatic scaling, with the software instead simply defaulting to an "iPad-like home screen layout" different from what is seen for the iPhone. The observation suggests that there is something special about that 1136x640 resolution that suggests Apple has at least been working on an iOS 6 device supporting that screen size.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but reorganizing your screens on iOS doesn't require you to get to a computer/iTunes to shuffle things around, make folders or group apps. And you definitely don't have to restart or "re-spring" to make them show up.

If you have the maximum number of home screens on your device already and are upset that the new app you're downloading doesn't show up, maybe you have a different issue.

If the screen is completely filled (as in all 10 or so pages full of apps) all new apps won't show on the screen, so you can't organize it, only trough a Pc, or making room for it (and them respringing).

It's pretty common actually: The user has only the first few pages actually organized, and the others are filled with apps that they don't want to organize, at least not in the moment... Having all in the same interface pretty much forces you to always keep everything organized, use a Pc or some other cumbersome method to organize when needed, or just to have your device with less apps installed. These eventually leads to usability problems that could be completely solved if they had a home screen separated from the all apps screen. Again: Pretty much every other Os in the world (be it mobile or desktop) has that separation in place.

SuperPac

If the screen is completely filled (as in all 10 or so pages full of apps) all new apps won't show on the screen, so you can't organize it, only trough a Pc, or making room for it (and them respringing).

It's pretty common actually: The user has only the first few pages actually organized, and the others are filled with apps that they don't want to organize, at least not in the moment...

How common is this among people in this topic? It has never happened to me or anyone I know who has an iPhone. So I dunno that I would call it a common problem amongst iOS users.

bionic77

Weird that Apple is getting rid of the YouTube app. That has to be one of the most used apps for every iPhone.

Don't like the direction they are going in.

Weird that Apple is getting rid of the YouTube app. That has to be one of the most used apps for every iPhone.

Google is still bringing the app as a stand alone which will likely be the first proper update to the youtube app if you think about it

The direction of removing applications they never updated so the owner of the product can make their own hopefully much better version?

Ok that makes sense.

I thought they were going to ban it altogether or do something crazy like that.
It's not 2009.

How common is this among people in this topic? It has never happened to me or anyone I know who has an iPhone. So I dunno that I would call it a common problem amongst iOS users.

Among people in this topic I dunno, but pretty much everyone I know with an iphone has this problem XD

But coming to think of it, they usually have crappy organized desktops as well, which implies a lot about their organizing habits...

GatorBait

Would be much nicer if Apple actually allowed people to associate default apps to things. Could go a long way of moving the integration functionality forward.

So what happens going forward when a user receives a link to a youtube video? Will it open in the browser, or can you associate the Google Youtube app with it since there won't be a system default?

So what happens going forward when a user receives a link to a youtube video? Will it open in the browser, or can you associate the Google Youtube app with it since there won't be a system default?

This is the big thing.

I want YouTube videos to load in app, unless they're embeded in to Safari.

In Android you get the choice to choose whether it opens in the browser or the Youtube app.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!

Youtube app is complete butt. Go watch a video on there and watch the same video using the web app. Night and day, dude.

Quick

Banned
I just hopped onto the iOS 6 beta on my iPhone. It's quite nice. Wish Passbook worked (officially), but I can't say I can really complain considering it's a beta.

Epix

Wish iOS let you create home screen shortcuts directly to specific contacts similar to creating home screen links to webpages.

Zeth

YouTube app is garbage, good riddance. The web interface is 10x better. Google will put out a usable app I'm sure.

What on earth is going on with the in built dictionary?

Tells me I don't have one installed and to download one. I download one then it tells me no definitions for any of the words!

Wtf??

Edit* it's a beta :p

Also there are new buttons on email. And opening a new page in Safari opens in place, not right at the end. Beautiful animation too

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Tells me I don't have one installed and to download one. I don't load one then it tells me no definitions for any of the words!

Wtf??

It seems to have been cut from the build, I imagine to allow for quicker/more fluid updates to it (hence the download option). Just download it and it should work as normal.

edgefusion

Tells me I don't have one installed and to download one. I don't load one then it tells me no definitions for any of the words!

Wtf??

It says you have no dictionary and asks if you would like to download one, you say no and are surprised when it gives you no definition?

It seems to have been cut from the build, I imagine to allow for quicker/more fluid updates to it (hence the download option). Just download it and it should work as normal.

It says you have no dictionary and asks if you would like to download one, you say no and are surprised when it gives you no definition?

Thanks. Should have edited my post. I was meant to say I download one, and it still didn't give me any definitions

Quick

Banned
I went back to iOS 5.1.1 on both my iPad and iPhone. I haven't experienced any problems with the beta, but I'm worried about something happening that could screw up my devices. Has anyone currently in the beta experienced any crippling problems?

Phoenix

I went back to iOS 5.1.1 on both my iPad and iPhone. I haven't experienced any problems with the beta, but I'm worried about something happening that could screw up my devices. Has anyone currently in the beta experienced any crippling problems?

Its beta 4. The OS is generally almost shipping quality at this point in the process. Its all tweaks and performance improvements from this point out.

Majine

Banned
I hope iCloud can remove notifications in the future. Annoying that I've checked all the emails on the computer yet they appear on the lockscreen on ma phone.

SuperPac

I hope iCloud can remove notifications in the future. Annoying that I've checked all the emails on the computer yet they appear on the lockscreen on ma phone.

I long ago removed notifications (lock screen or otherwise) for mail - depending on how much you get at that account it can be pretty annoying in general. My phone doesn't even beep or vibrate when I get a new mail message anymore.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
No, wait, is push notifications banned in Germany, or what?
Specifically for Apple's iCloud services, yes.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/13/2...ud-mobileme-push-email-ban-injunction-germany
The Wall Street Journal reports that a German regional court in Mannheim has upheld an earlier ruling that push email via Apple's iCloud and MobileMe services infringes on Motorola's patents. The February decision led to push email being disabled on the services ever since, despite Apple's attempts to lift the injunction. Motorola's case is based on patent EP0847654, titled "Multiple Pager Status Synchronization System and Method." The judge residing over the case adjourned a decision on a separate issue related to mobile communication standards, and has not set a new date for the case. The court also ordered Apple to pay an unspecified amount in damages to Motorola.

The decision means that iCloud and MobileMe users in Germany will be without push email for the foreseeable future. Any users affected can see Apple's official support page for information on how to set up their devices to manually fetch e-mail.

Top Bottom