• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Mully

I may be getting an iphone 3G second hand next week and had a couple of questions.

The co worker who's selling it says it's a 4GB version. Not sure if it is but any 3G or 3GS phone looks like it holds 8GB at least. I guess my first question is, what version iphone is it if it has only 4GB storage?

Second, how good is it for gaming? Can I run many of the games out today? I know I can probably run stuff like Tiny Tower and such but I'm more curious about stuff like Infinity Blade, etc.

I believe the first gen iPhone is the only iPhone that has 4G.

Vyer

I may be getting an iphone 3G second hand next week and had a couple of questions.

The co worker who's selling it says it's a 4GB version. Not sure if it is but any 3G or 3GS phone looks like it holds 8GB at least. I guess my first question is, what version iphone is it if it has only 4GB storage?

Second, how good is it for gaming? Can I run many of the games out today? I know I can probably run stuff like Tiny Tower and such but I'm more curious about stuff like Infinity Blade, etc.

The 3G stopped getting iOS support at 4, IIRC. You probably won't be able to use most if not all of the new games.

I'm guessing you are getting it for free? Otherwise the best value for an iphone that still gets updates would be the iPhone 4.

EDIT: also, yes, Mully is correct. if it's only 4GB it's even older than the 3G.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The 3G stopped getting iOS support at 4, IIRC. You probably won't be able to use most if not all of the new games.

I'm guessing you are getting it for free? Otherwise the best value for an iphone that still gets updates would be the iPhone 4.

In terms of cost, what am I looking at?

Sean

Banned
Unless you really need a new phone right now, I'd suggest holding off just a little bit longer.

Apple's iPhone event will be in two weeks which means lots of people offloading their old iPhones and lower prices all around.

Dany

Banned
Unless you really need a new phone right now, I'd suggest holding off just a little bit longer.

Apple's iPhone event will be in two weeks which means lots of people offloading their old iPhones and lower prices all around.

I'm curious, I've never really upgraded phones before. I have a 4 and when I upgrade to a 5, would I replace the sim in the 5 with the sim card thats in my iphone 4? and then I can sell the 4?

mcfrank

I'm curious, I've never really upgraded phones before. I have a 4 and when I upgrade to a 5, would I replace the sim in the 5 with the sim card thats in my iphone 4? and then I can sell the 4?

You don't have to change the sim. You do everything through iTunes.

hirokazu

Well you'll be supplied with a new nano-SIM for the next iPhone. That's just to get reception from the carrier. If you want to use all your existing settings, then back up to iTunes and/or iCloud and then restore when given the option to do so.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wouldn't buy an iPhone 3G. Especially since Apple gives 3GS' away for free with contract. At least the 3GS still runs iOS 5. (Though that'll be the final OS it does run)

Enco

This.

Buying an iPhone now is pretty stupid. Two weeks can save you a lot.

Mr Swine

Banned
Wow. That's like a pretty long time to support that model. And people are trying to say Apple has fragmentation too. *pffttt* 3GS is 3 years/4 generations old and it still gets the current OS. Take that, other mobile phone OS'!

Well apple has fragmentation when IPad doesn't get ios 6 while 3GS gets it and the old gen 3 iPod touch doesn't get it either

Quick

Banned
I just tried out turn-by-turn navigation. Pretty awesome stuff. Taxing on the battery (no surprise), but definitely handy. I wouldn't use it on any long trips, though.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I just tried out turn-by-turn navigation. Pretty awesome stuff. Taxing on the battery (no surprise), but definitely handy. I wouldn't use it on any long trips, though.
Battery I'm not concerned with since I can just plug in the car charger. How much of a data hog is it, though?

Got this weird bug where if I'm messaging someone over a day, randomly all the texts disappear and jump back to a few hours before.

Fucking annoying. Then thosenimessages don't even come through to my iPad or MacBook.

Might just turn iMessage off on my phone and stick with normal txt.

Quick

Banned
Battery I'm not concerned with since I can just plug in the car charger. How much of a data hog is it, though?

Can't say for sure until later on (carrier's app doesn't update my usage until later today). I'd say you'll be fine if you have a 1GB data plan all to yourself (and a shared plan). I have a 6GB data plan, so it doesn't even bother me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I wonder how well if at a the GPS maps will work on my Virgin iPhone 4S. The data is good enough for causal browsing. But how much data does a GPS use? I'd rather have an option to preload certain regions and store them on the device.

Quick

Banned
I wonder how well if at a the GPS maps will work on my Virgin iPhone 4S. The data is good enough for causal browsing. But how much data does a GPS use? I'd rather have an option to preload certain regions and store them on the device.

Doesn't it still need to track your whereabouts for it to tell you where and when to turn and whatnot?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
I'm very happy with my iPhone 4s. I'm excited for iOS 6 with its new features. I Plan to keep this phone for another year until I upgrade to iPhone 5. If 3GS is any indication, iPhone 4s should be updated for years to come.

hirokazu

I don't think the turn-by-turn uses as much data as people seem to think, although that also varies a bit based on how often they use the feature and how much data they have on their plan.

I'd say you probably don't need to worry about it unless you already cut it close to going over your monthly allowance through normal usage.

linkboy

I'm very happy with my iPhone 4s. I'm excited for iOS 6 with its new features. I Plan to keep this phone for another year until I upgrade to iPhone 5. If 3GS is any indication, iPhone 4s should be updated for years to come.

I'm planning on doing the same, but only because I don't want to deal with Verizon's crappy decisions anymore.

I'm just going to ride my 4S out until my contract is up (keeping my unlimited) and then looking at prepaid.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Doesn't it still need to track your whereabouts for it to tell you where and when to turn and whatnot?
It has a GPS chip. That's completely different from the data chips. The GPS should work no matter where I am, shouldn't it? I mean just like a dedicated stand-alone GPS? Technically, if iOS downloaded all the map data to your Flash memory you could use it as long as you're out in the open even if you have no data. But I do get data, but I don't know the whole area yet. I look forward to playing around with it and seeing how much of an area it downloads at a time and where my blind spots are.

hirokazu

It has a GPS chip. That's completely different from the data chips. The GPS should work no matter where I am, shouldn't it? I mean just like a dedicated stand-alone GPS? Technically, if iOS downloaded all the map data to your Flash memory you could use it as long as you're out in the open even if you have no data. But I do get data, but I don't know the whole area yet. I look forward to playing around with it and seeing how much of an area it downloads at a time and where my blind spots are.

AGPS still checks phone tower and known Wi-Fi base station locations to achieve faster and more accurate positioning when possible. The data required to do that is probably negligible though.

edgefusion

What's up with the new search view in the App Store? You can only view one result at a time now, who thought that was a good idea?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
AGPS still checks phone tower and known Wi-Fi base station locations to achieve faster and more accurate positioning when possible. The data required to do that is probably negligible though.
But how does it deal with no data or a connection that is just taking too long? I would have thought it would work the same way a normal Garmin or TomTom works.

I look forward to playing with it and taking some trips to see how well it holds up on Virgin.

Futureman

But how does it deal with no data or a connection that is just taking too long? I would have thought it would work the same way a normal Garmin or TomTom works.

I look forward to playing with it and taking some trips to see how well it holds up on Virgin.

don't think maps would work without data. GPS pinpoints your location, but you need data to load the maps, traffic info, address/businesses, etc.

Tobor

don't think maps would work without data. GPS pinpoints your location, but you need data to load the maps, traffic info, address/businesses, etc.

Currently, I use Motion X GPS, and it does require data to cache the map data. This way, you don't have to store 2GB of map data locally.

It handles connection drops well. I've had no signal for several minutes at a time on trips, and enough map data was already cached so that I never lost position.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Would be nice if you could plan a route and have it immediately cache the entire route and surrounding areas "just in case" for convenience. It could do it while you're still at home getting ready to leave and still on WiFi to do it fast, then not have to worry about it unless you happen to take a huge detour off your expected route.

Tobor

How much of an area does it cache at once? A few miles radius? Would be nice if you could plan a route and have it immediately cache the entire route and surrounding areas "just in case" for convenience. It could do it while you're still at home getting ready to leave and still on WiFi to do it fast, then not have to worry about it unless you happen to take a huge detour off your expected route.

I have no idea, honestly. Its always "just worked".

Like I said, I've lost signal for several minutes before while driving in the middle of nowhere, and the map was still there. It's possible it caches all the maps required as soon as you route. It's a third party app, not the official Apple software, but it should work similarly.

LCfiner

I'll just point out that anyone who is really nervous about network drop outs on long trips far away from their home city should just get a tom tom or garmin app for the 50 or 70 bucks it costs and breathe easy.

It was one of the first purchases on my iPhone 3G and it's served me very well, going to campsites or while crossing the border and not having data access at all.

don't get me wrong, I still think built in and free turn by turn is a huge feature. but anyone taking long road trips out to places they know very little about can justify the one time expense for a totally offline app.

Tobor

I'll just point out that anyone who is really nervous about network drop outs on long trips far away from their home city should just get a tom tom or garmin app for the 50 or 70 bucks it costs and breathe easy.

It was one of the first purchases on my iPhone 3G and it's served me very well, going to campsites or while crossing the border and not having data access at all.

don't get me wrong, I still think built in and free turn by turn is a huge feature. but anyone taking long road trips out to places they know very little about can justify the one time expense for a totally offline app.

The price wasn't the problem for me, it's the 2GB of space that is required. I wasn't willing to dedicate that much storage.(32GB iPhone 4)

LCfiner

The price wasn't the problem for me, it's the 2GB of space that is required. I wasn't willing to dedicate that much storage.(32GB iPhone 4)

true. this was an issue for me once in a while with the 16 GB iphone 3G.

navigon actually modified their app late last year to allow for state by state map downloads. and, of course, all of Canada is only around 350 MB by itself.

So I just keep NY state, Mass and some other north east states loaded. totall app space is now around 600 MB or so.

hirokazu

It falls back to just using GPS satellites to determine location. Using phone tower and Wi-Fi hotspots just makes it faster and more accurate at pinpointing the location.

KingKong

using iOS 5 here, but it looks like the App Store Featured tab just changed, they got rid of 'What's Hot' and the links on the bottom of the page

if you go to Genuis though, the 'Whats Hot' link is back but it wont load anything

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
They just revamped the store on iOS 6 as well, looks more akin to what iTunes displays on the iPhone now with moving banners etc.

btkadams

hey guys, i had to replace my 4s last night (stuck lock button) at the apple store, so i have had to reinstall beta 4.

everything restored fine, but the facebook verification in the settings menu does not seem to be working. it had been giving me an error all day saying that there was a problem communicating with the server when i enter my username/password. now, it just says verifying endlessly and the setting app becomes unresponsive.

i had it working on my previous 4s yesterday morning, so i'm not sure what the deal is. i can sign into the facebook application fine, just not in the settings menu. it's really annoying because a message keeps popping up saying to log into facebook (no matter what i am doing on my phone).

has anybody had this happen to them? i noticed a post in the macrumors beta 4 bug thread this morning that mentions the same issue, and i'm wondering if there actually could be a problem with the integration verification server right now.

edit: tried every day and this morning it finally worked. must have been a server issue.

123rl

I just upgraded to the ios6 beta but I've found a weird problem. The facebook and twitter quick-post options aren't showing up in the notification pull down menu. Both are there on my iPad and I always assumed it was just a default option. Anyone know what's going on? I have gone through every setting I can find and no joy

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
I just upgraded to the ios6 beta but I've found a weird problem. The facebook and twitter quick-post options aren't showing up in the notification pull down menu. Both are there on my iPad and I always assumed it was just a default option. Anyone know what's going on? I have gone through every setting I can find and no joy

Settings > Notifications > Share Widget

Sean

Banned
New YouTube app for iPhone and iPod Touch now available, hands-on photos and video

Google's new YouTube app is nearly identical with its Android counterpart, though in a few ways it does outshine Android.

In addition to the new app, Google says that it's giving iOS users access to previously unavailable content like official music videos alongside TV and movie content from Google Play. The new YouTube app for iOS should be available for iPhone and iPod Touch users any moment, but iPad users will have to wait a little longer. A proper iPad-optimized YouTube app is coming, but only "in the coming months."

youtube-ios-app-03-verge-1020_gallery_post.jpg
youtube-ios-app-04-verge-1020_gallery_post.jpg

hirokazu

Nice. I actually miss having a standalone YouTube app, even though Apple's one hadn't been updated for yonks. The mobile web app is terrible ever since they put their own video controls in (to enable ads). You can't even do proper full screen!

But... I just searched the App Store and it doesn't seem to be up for Australia yet. :(

Top Bottom