• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
A couple bugs I have seen so far

Ipad: If you have too many tabs open, google search will refuse to work... Only remedy is to close all tabs (bing works though...)

Iphone 4S:If you play a full screen video (at least on YouTube) the status bar seems to disappear lol it never comes back unless you nuke the app

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Ipad: If you have too many tabs open, google search will refuse to work... Only remedy is to close all tabs (bing works though...)

Iphone 4S:If you play a full screen video (at least on YouTube) the status bar seems to disappear lol it never comes back unless you nuke the app

What app? Safari?

numble

Maybe it went into full screen landscape mode? There's a button on the lower right corner to come out of full screen landscape.

Gaaraz

Just wondering, what's the chance of them really knocking it out of the park with some Google Now esque functionality? Still having slight Jellybean envy with my lowly iPhone 4 ;_;

LCfiner

Just wondering, what's the chance of them really knocking it out of the park with some Google Now esque functionality? Still having slight Jellybean envy with my lowly iPhone 4 ;_;

At this point, any new feature they show off will be for the new iPhone only. i doubt they'll be showing off a Google Now type feature in iOS 6. That's the kind of thing they would've showed already, imo.

numble

At this point, any new feature they show off will be for the new iPhone only. i doubt they'll be showing off a Google Now type feature in iOS 6. That's the kind of thing they would've showed already, imo.

But Siri wasn't shown until the 4S reveal. It's also a personal assistant-type feature.

Blackhead

Redarse
But Siri wasn't shown until the 4S reveal. It's also a personal assistant-type feature.

There were rumors and leaks of Siri before it was officially revealed by Apple. Besides we had already seen the Siri app already; it was bought technology. Apple just doesn't have the expertise for Google Now. Imo the closest thing Apple has is location based alerts tied into Passbook, Reminders etc. But the predictive capabilities of Google Now just isn't within Apple's reach (especially considering they're still outsourcing stuff like navigation).

After having used GoogleNow for 2 or so months I can assure you that it is pretty useless, if only for the fact that it is much harder to invoke than siri.
And that android doesn't have the apps I use siri for (I.e. timer)

numble

There were rumors and leaks of Siri before it was officially revealed by Apple. Besides we had already seen the Siri app already; it was bought technology. Apple just doesn't have the expertise for Google Now. Imo the closest thing Apple has is location based alerts tied into Passbook, Reminders etc. But the predictive capabilities of Google Now just isn't within Apple's reach (especially considering they're still outsourcing stuff like navigation).

If Siri was not shown as part of iOS 5 prior to the 4S reveal, a Google Now like product is not the type of thing they would show off already. That's not me saying they will do Google Now, that's me saying they would not show it off prior to the iPhone.

Blackhead

Redarse
well you have to hold down the home button, drag it up to google now and then tap again to actually be able to speak to it, while with siri you just tap the home button and you raise the phone to your ear

Oh you're talking about voice search. Not quite the same thing as Google Now. You can always create quicker shortcuts on Android if you care about that stuff fyi

Oh you're talking about voice search. Not quite the same thing as Google Now. You can always create quicker shortcuts on Android if you care about that stuff fyi

Well since it can't really do the things I used Siri for, it's not that relevant for me. But thanks for the heads-up.

Are there any good comparisons between turn by turn in Maps and Google maps / navigation on Android?

Google maps and navigation are the only things holding me to Android and with the new iphone coming I'm considering a switch if it's up to snuff.

Are there any good comparisons between turn by turn in Maps and Google maps / navigation on Android?

Google maps and navigation are the only things holding me to Android and with the new iphone coming I'm considering a switch if it's up to snuff.

They're both great, but apple has the lead for me. Better usability and GPS signal.

Blackhead

Redarse

There won't be any good comparisons until iOS6 is out of beta.

Google Maps will likely be a stand alone app for iPhone once iOS 6 drops. Make the leap!

I'm intrigued there is some positive early buzz. I was under the impression it was available to everyone in the beta now. Is that not the case?

I'll probably wait till after it's out for a bit. It's really the most important feature for me. Everything else I need are basically the same on both platforms.

I'm intrigued there is some positive early buzz. I was under the impression it was available to everyone in the beta now. Is that not the case?

I'll probably wait till after it's out for a bit. It's really the most important feature for me. Everything else I need are basically the same on both platforms.

A lot of GAFfers have the beta.

I've used it a lot before I switched over to the Gnex and I was happier with the navigation. Obviously YMMV so try it out yourself once it's out :)

A lot of GAFfers have the beta.

I've used it a lot before I switched over to the Gnex and I was happier with the navigation. Obviously YMMV so try it out yourself once it's out :)

Ahh I haven't been following iOS development since I ditched my 3G after one of those updates that crippled it so I have no idea how the beta process worked.

Thanks for the info. I'm definitely going to be looking into it closer.

Brera

Banned
Does anyone know if iOS6 will run great on the iPhone 4 or will it be rigged to fuck your phone up so you upgrade? I'm hoping to keep my 4 for another year!

I've been really excited following all the new features coming up this fall, especially the new maps and facebook integration. I didn't have a spare phone this time around for the beta, like I did with iOS5, so I've sat out of the beta fun. Until now. Wife changed phones, so I now have a spare to tinker with. I know it's late in beta cycle, but I think it'll be worth checking out still, especially since the late stages tend to be virtually release-ready.

That said, if anyone has an inside track on snagging beta access still, pm me and let me know what's what. otherwise, I'll cheer from the sidelines until they roll it out :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Strange question for those with iOS6...

has Apple fixed "position: fixed" in safari for iOS?
A better question is how some sites already have this functionality on iOS even though it's not supported yet. I see a lot of sites, both mobile and desktop, on iOS that have elements that stay in place when I scroll. So they must be using another method if WebKit on iOS still doesn't support position:fixed.

Has anyone tried out the turn-by-turn navigation yet?

yes I have, many many times. It was easy to use, found a satellite quickly and steadily and took me a better route than I would have (as a local). Except for this one time where it took me on a far worse route.

Quick

Banned
yes I have, many many times. It was easy to use, found a satellite quickly and steadily and took me a better route than I would have (as a local). Except for this one time where it took me on a far worse route.

Funny enough, I had the iOS 6 beta installed, then took it off, and all of a sudden, I was in need of a GPS various times last week. Ended up relying on constantly looking at the Google Maps turn-by-turn navigation (since it didn't talk). Not necessarily safe. lol

I'm still really curious to see how Apple's going to handle the transition over to giving transit directions to third-party apps. People here in NYC are going to be freaking out at launch if there aren't high-quality apps ready in the store with perfect integration. And the experience had better not be lessened compared to iOS 5 or people are going to be justifiably furious.

I'm still of the opinion that Apple should bake in transit directions for the very biggest cities (NY, SF, LA) and allow the integrated-transit-app solution to handle things for smaller cities so Apple doesn't have to stay up-to-date on the bus schedules for, say, Cleveland.

hirokazu

Turn-by-turn doesn't work on iPads, does it? This confused me a lot because the website lumps it together with 3D and flyover as a feature that requires iPad 2 or greater.

Nicktendo86

That still requires me to unlock my phone. :/

Oh ok yeah that's a valid point. I've got the latest Euroskank AOKP rom running on my GNexus though and I have 8 custom tagets on my lock screen, I tried adding voice search and it works like a charm so it is possible.

I've got a 4th gen iPod which I use as my daily MP3 player, does anyone know how difficult it is to jailbreak?

Ambitious

When attempting to add several links one after another to Safari's Reading List...

Bookmarks are being synced. Please add the bookmark once syncing has completed

This is ridiculous, I can't believe this shit. Has this been fixed in iOS6?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When attempting to add several links one after another to Safari's Reading List...

One of the reasons I'm glad I use Chrome on all devices. Safaris bookmarks have been fucked up beyond saving for me since the iOS 5 beta.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Never encountered this, have bookmarks synced fine across 3 devices and Mac. Been doing it since it was introduced.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I may be getting an iphone 3G second hand next week and had a couple of questions.

The co worker who's selling it says it's a 4GB version. Not sure if it is but any 3G or 3GS phone looks like it holds 8GB at least. I guess my first question is, what version iphone is it if it has only 4GB storage?

Second, how good is it for gaming? Can I run many of the games out today? I know I can probably run stuff like Tiny Tower and such but I'm more curious about stuff like Infinity Blade, etc.

Top Bottom