• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

FerranMG

Any idea on what are the chances we get iOS 6 on Apple TV during the following days?

I recently got one, and it seems like an amazing concept, but sadly I've been having a lot of problems with home sharing and the Apple lTV losing connection with my computer.
I'm really hoping for an update to solve this stuff.

SmokyDave

Any idea on what are the chances we get iOS 6 on Apple TV during the following days?

I recently got one, and it seems like an amazing concept, but sadly I've been having a lot of problems with home sharing and the Apple lTV losing connection with my computer.
I'm really hoping for an update to solve this stuff.

Are you sure it's the ATV at fault? Mine's been running for months and never lost connection. Is it a known issue or something?

FerranMG

Are you sure it's the ATV at fault? Mine's been running for months and never lost connection. Is it a known issue or something?

I've done quite a bit of research.
There's tons of people complaining about this everywhere (official Apple forums, Macrumors the ones I checked the most).
It seems things stopped working for many after iOS 5, but it's not clear if it's an AppleTV issue or an iTunes one.
Supposedly, 5.0.1 (IIRC) on AppleTV should have solved that, but there's still plenty of issues left.

It's one of these problems that some claim to have solved by "having a specific version of iTunes", "having a specific version of iOS on ATV", "having a specific router", "having some specific ports forwarded"...
You know, no true solution anywhere.

It's a shame because I can't stream video, pictures or audio for (usually) more than 20 minutes before it loses sync.

SmokyDave

I've done quite a bit of research.
There's tons of people complaining about this everywhere (official Apple forums, Macrumors the ones I checked the most).
It seems things stopped working for many after iOS 5, but it's not clear if it's an AppleTV issue or an iTunes one.
Supposedly, 5.0.1 (IIRC) on AppleTV should have solved that, but there's still plenty of issues left.

It's one of these problems that some claim to have solved by "having a specific version of iTunes", "having a specific version of iOS on ATV", "having a specific router", "having some specific ports forwarded"...
You know, no true solution anywhere.

It's a shame because I can't stream video, pictures or audio for (usually) more than 20 minutes before it loses sync.

Ah man, that sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm pretty sure my ATV is running 5.0.1 and I know I'm running a Windows 64 bit version of iTunes but I'm not sure of the exact version number. I hope that gets resolved for you because it's a cracking piece of kit when it's working.

FerranMG

Ah man, that sounds like a pain in the ass. I'm pretty sure my ATV is running 5.0.1 and I know I'm running a Windows 64 bit version of iTunes but I'm not sure of the exact version number. I hope that gets resolved for you because it's a cracking piece of kit when it's working.

Yep, I tried to show the pictures from this summer to my parents using the ATV to 'stream' them from the computer to the tv..., and it never lasted for more than 10 minutes.
I tried to convince my wife to watch some series on the tv using the ATV, and we could never finish an episode without interruptions.

It's not only that it sucks because I can't use the Apple TV to make plenty of things I'd like. It sucks because all these problems make me look like an technological fool in front of everyone. :p

andycapps

No, you're right. This is pathetic.

It's that way on Android, FWIW. And has been for quite some time, I wouldn't expect that to change. Though Android does have an option for HQ or not. Default on Wifi is HQ, but default on 3G is non-HQ, though I believe you can override that in the app settings.

123rl

Agreed. Way too many clicks to get to wifi, brightness, ect.

There are just groups of icons on the settings page that were just thrown in randomly. Every time there's a new feature, they just find a new space to throw in the icon. Do Not Disturb is just thrown in between network carrier and Notifications

pxleyes

Banned
It's that way on Android, FWIW. And has been for quite some time, I wouldn't expect that to change. Though Android does have an option for HQ or not. Default on Wifi is HQ, but default on 3G is non-HQ, though I believe you can override that in the app settings.

I had hoped they would use some of the built in UI for videos, but I guess that is askin too much.

HQ is definitely not consistent, even on wifi.

hirokazu

Here's hoping iOS6 comes out tomorrow! D:
GM will almost certainly be. Public release, not likely.

Speaking of which, this is something I've completely forgotten about, but I hope Apple has been hard at work bringing the Podcasts app up to scratch for iOS 6 launch. Not being able to download podcasts directly to the device without the awful app is really annoying.

noah111

Still Alive
Thanks. I do like iOS6 but the settings menu is a real mess. It needs a complete redesign
At least it's been organized in a much better than way than it is in iOS 5. If they simply allowed the ON/OFF toggle switch to exist alongside a > tappable menu, that'd solve the ease of accessibility issue.

Speaking of which, this is something I've completely forgotten about, but I hope Apple has been hard at work bringing the Podcasts app up to scratch for iOS 6 launch. Not being able to download podcasts directly to the device without the awful app is really annoying.
I wouldn't mind that, but I doubt they'd add a native podcast app..

KtSlime

There are just groups of icons on the settings page that were just thrown in randomly. Every time there's a new feature, they just find a new space to throw in the icon. Do Not Disturb is just thrown in between network carrier and Notifications

They put all the settings they thought you might use most frequently at the top of the list. People might not like how Apple does it, but that doesn't make it random.

edgefusion

Will there be a new iTunes? iTunes has looked the same for years now give us something different.

There have been rumours of a totally overhauled iTunes for the end of this year but nothing substantial. I have my fingers crossed though, I would looooove a new iTunes.

pxleyes

Banned
Hopefully they get the latter, at least, worked out. I'll miss that when I switch to get the new iPhone.
Well like you said, Google can make updates based on feedback at will now. That change everything. Google has been fantastic about updating their iOS apps as of late, so I expect that trend to continue.

Enco

There have been rumours of a totally overhauled iTunes for the end of this year but nothing substantial. I have my fingers crossed though, I would looooove a new iTunes.
That would be great.

I use iTunes thanks to iTunes Match. Luckily it's on my SSD but before on my HDD it was horrendously slow. A new design and performance enhancements would be more than welcome.

There hasn't been an iOS beta release for a surprisingly long time. Usually they kick out a few close to being final.

My theory: The last beta was just stable enough for devs to code against the new APIs, and they've been adding non-API stuff in and changing things up cosmetically since then, keeping it internal to avoid leaks.

Maybe we're in for a surprise tomorrow.

mrkgoo

There hasn't been an iOS beta release for a surprisingly long time. Usually they kick out a few close to being final.

My theory: The last beta was just stable enough for devs to code against the new APIs, and they've been adding non-API stuff in and changing things up cosmetically since then, keeping it internal to avoid leaks.

Maybe we're in for a surprise tomorrow.
I imagine there's a few thing relating to iPhone 5 they don't want to reveal by releasig betas until tomorrow.

lupinko

I love tinkering with iOS6B but I don't know if I want to go back to iOS5 when I get the new iPhone, unless the new iPhone has iOS6 already installed upon first day sale. =P

Aesthet1c

Assuming the iOS6 GM releases tomorrow, is there a way to do a straight upgrade from iOS5?

When I have installed the developer iOS's before it's always had to be a wipe and load install. I don't really want to do that since I'm worried about losing data in a lot of apps I have.

If not I guess I can wait for public release..

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
The GM build is usually released a week prior to the public release, if that's the case this time around it should hit later today or tomorrow.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I submitted my UDID to someone in this thread to get it registered for the beta but I never downloaded the beta. I guess I should be able to get the GM release though, huh?

Also, seems like iTunes just got updated to support iOS 6

HBP

I submitted my UDID to someone in this thread to get it registered for the beta but I never downloaded the beta. I guess I should be able to get the GM release though, huh?

You won't need to have a registered UDID for the GM, never have in the past. Unless something major happens its the identicle file that comes out to consumers next week.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

No UDID needed for the GM release, and iTunes has supported iOS 6 since 10.6.3 which came out with the first Beta release. :)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
No UDID needed for the GM release, and iTunes has supported iOS 6 since 10.6.3 which came out with the first Beta release. :)

http://www.theverge.com/2012/9/12/3322364/itunes-10-7-download-available-adds-ios-6-nano-shuffle

Ahead of an October launch for the completely revamped "new iTunes," Apple has served up iTunes 10.7 for Mac and Windows, which "adds support for iOS 6 running on compatible iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch models" and "adds support for the latest iPod nano and iPod shuffle models. It doesn't seem like much else is new in the update, even though 10.7 sounds like a whole lot more than 10.6.3, the latest version of iTunes.

Top Bottom