• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
hmmm. how compelling is google street view? cuz you lose that and google does not yet have a maps app in the app store.

Not. I just thought I read some impassioned post somewhere about how iOS 6 had some pretty iffy compromises, but I don't use my iPad for Maps much at all, and the Youtube app is apparently already up on the app store.

LCfiner

Not from a beta build. 5.1.1 to the Public release sure.

Just tested the panorama feature, it works really well actually, auto stabilises photos and had no visible seams in the composite photo.

I wasn't expecting panorama mode to make it to the 4S but it did. it's super cool. very easy to use. i like the arrow that needs to stay on the line so you keep the phone level.

golem

So what are the steps to just upgrade with the ipw?

Download ipsw. In iTunes (prob should upgrade to newest version), go to your phone and use option-Click on Check for Update

Wierd my photo album got wiped.. everything else seems to be there though..

Edit: my photos are coming back slowly.. Maybe regerating thumbnail cache?

LCfiner

3D textured maps is a real whiz bang feature. immediately impressive and fun. I was just messing around with it for 10 minutes. very neat

it's also completely useless for me as it doesn't actually help me navigate or become acclimated to new areas. But as a way to browse and mess around, it's very cool.

(I still need my street view with the google maps app to become available).

I'll try out the turn by turn tomorrow. I did start things out and created quick directions from siri searches and that all worked OK.

as for map database searches, I'm in montreal and I searched for "chinese buffet" the only result I got was in Cornwall.... uh oh.

bob page

I like the new maps app. A lot.

I live in NYC and use a different app for subway info so I don't really care about mass transit, but turn by turn has been great so far.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ugh, my iTunes is just stuck on "waiting for iphone" and the progress meter on my iPhone isn't going anywhere. I hope I didn't fuck it up. My computer was installing drivers for some reason too

what should I do if it doesn't respond?

nevermind it's going

Running pretty janky after a restore. For some reason my iCloud backup didn't attempt to restore my phone. I'm going through and downloading my apps manually. :(

giga

Facebook calendar events is pretty sweet. Really useful for me. Hooray for iTunes Match not being useless now, since it can stream your music instead of downloading them.

Whogie

Phew, got a few failed flashes before I just redownloaded the ipws. Now I'm up ^^;

Looking forward to this. Can't wait to ditch Waze and stream iTunes Match.

Shearie

I've been thinking about signing up for iTunes Match lately but I was wondering, did they ever fix the explicit lyrics problem it had around launch?

Whogie

Game saves seem to be gone. What's the point of being only able to choose either iCloud or local backup:

xoeTl.png

if iCloud doesn't even grab everything?
:/

giga

Shared photo streams kick ass for friends and family not on facebook. Great web interface. No more emailing big photo dumps.

giga

How do people you invite see the photos?
When you want to create a shared photo stream, you invite people by their email or apple id. If they have an ios 6 device or mountain lion, they'll get a notification from there to join and can view/comment/like from the photos app. If they don't, they can view the stream in their browser if you make it a public stream (basically giving it an icloud url).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWY5oFBb6Qs

So... whats new :p

I mean like.... the little things not mentioned on the first post.

And why does Camera not look like the camera stuff in today's presentation? iphone 5 getting exclusive skins?

bob page

When you want to create a shared photo stream, you invite people by their email or apple id. If they have an ios 6 device or mountain lion, they'll get a notification from there to join and can view/comment/like from the photos app. If they don't, they can view the stream in their browser if you make it a public stream (basically giving it an icloud url).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWY5oFBb6Qs
Are they supposed to get an email with the link then once I add them (if they don't use iOS)? I tried adding one of my own emails and I'm not getting anything when I create it or add photos.

giga

Are they supposed to get an email with the link then once I add them (if they don't use iOS)? I tried adding one of my own emails and I'm not getting anything when I create it or add photos.
Yes. Is your email associated with an ios device or anything? I didn't get an email when I sent it to my default apple id, but I did with an alternate.

kr2t0s

Questions I hate asking:

Can I upgrade from 5.1 to gm 6?

Once running gm 6 can I update to 6.1 when it eventually comes out or do I have to clean install?

Tobor

Facebook calendar events is pretty sweet. Really useful for me. Hooray for iTunes Match not being useless now, since it can stream your music instead of downloading them.

Crap! Is that optional? Downloading is way more useful.

giga

Questions I hate asking:

Can I upgrade from 5.1 to gm 6?

Once running gm 6 can I update to 6.1 when it eventually comes out or do I have to clean install?
Yes and yes.

Crap! Is that optional? Downloading is way more useful.
Download button is still there in playlists, artists, and albums. Tapping a song will stream it by default if it's not downloaded.

VqjJ+

Tobor

Yes and yes.

Download button is still there in playlists, artists, and albums. Tapping a song will stream it by default if it's not downloaded.

[G]http://d.pr/i/VqjJ+[/IMG]

That sucks. Now I have to download the song fully before it starts playing?

Top Bottom