• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

FGMPR

Banned
If I'm going to iOS 6 on the new iPad, am I stuck using the new iPhone YouTube app for watching videos? I'm under the impression the native YouTube app is going away. If so I will just wait.

Why doesn't plain YouTube.com work on the iPad anymore? Stopped working a month or two ago...

Mine too. It looks like it loads the video, but pressing play just ends up giving you a black screen within the box, however I found pressing play again at the point actually starts playback.

Quick

Banned
Half of Manhattan now has 3D. Eerie seeing One World Trade, having seen the area as a giant construction yard a few years ago.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Apparently it doesn't even require you to restore. It's just installing right over 5.1.1

Yeah, in my previous experience with GMs, they allow for updating just fine. It's the betas that require restores.
You've been able to update without restores directly since 5.0 at least, including the betas. Ever since the OTA backend was implemented. Just FYI :)

Seems Youtube works as it used to. It'll still open the app if it's there. Nice.

The confusion came from the fact that some of my data was being restored on my first attempt. Like a few photos from Photo Stream, but nothing from Camera Roll was being restored. Infinity Blade is listed as an iCloud game, and it got restored, but no other games/programs.
Now it's all there, like I never wiped it.
iCloud restores philosophy is to do it in the background as you continue to use your device without interrupting you, with nigh any prompts informing you of the progress. Can be confusing as you say at first.

Streaming iTunes match is exactly how it should have been since day 1.
It always was for me. Press on a song, it'd start playing.
The difference then was that it also downloaded it so the next time it would't need to stream - that now doesn't appear to happen and it also won't let me select single songs to download.
I hate it.

noah111

Still Alive
Man, the wait for them to jailbreak this is going to be brutal. Been running it on my iPhone for months but i'd love to give it a try on my new iPad, but I JB'd the shit out of it..

Heel

Mine too. It looks like it loads the video, but pressing play just ends up giving you a black screen within the box, however I found pressing play again at the point actually starts playback.

You mean you can go to YouTube.com (not the app or m.youtube.com) and get videos to play? I used to be able to, now it gives a red banner when I start a video telling me to get Adobe Flash.

I figured they changed something to make the site incompatible with iPad. If that's not the case, does anyone have a fix?

The other ways to browse YouTube are horrible for subscriptions...

FGMPR

Banned
You mean you can go to YouTube.com (not the app or m.youtube.com) and get videos to play? I used to be able to, now it gives a red banner when I start a video telling me to get Adobe Flash.

I figured they changed something to make the site incompatible with iPad. If that's not the case, does anyone have a fix?

The other ways to browse YouTube are horrible for subscriptions...

ah I don't know about youtube.com. I assumed you meant m.youtube.com wasn't working.

For those that have had iOS6 since the first beta release: has it improved substantially? I remember the maps app being a piece of poo for example. Needed lots of work and don't recall it having public transportation routes in Toronto at least.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
For those that have had iOS6 since the first beta release: has it improved substantially? I remember the maps app being a piece of poo for example. Needed lots of work and don't recall it having public transportation routes in Toronto at least.

They were adding map/street data progressively as the betas went along. Now it's up to full high-res satellite coverage, the street data seems as detailed as Google's ever was. Has been a massive increase in detail between Beta 4 and GM for Ireland. Dublin is even in 3D now (the rest not yet). Performance is very fluid overall as well now.

Public transit data is still no there, it's hooked in via the various transit apps (as they update to iOS6).

They were adding map/street data progressively as the betas went along. Now it's up to full high-res satellite coverage, the street data seems as detailed as Google's ever was. Has been a massive increase in detail between Beta 4 and GM for Ireland. Dublin is even in 3D now (the rest not yet). Performance is very fluid overall as well now.

Public transit data is still no there, it's hooked in via the various transit apps (as they update to iOS6).
That's good to hear about the improvements. I don't understand how the transit thing will work though. Do you need to download a seperate transit app for your city from the app store and it will hook into the maps app? What if your city doesn't have a transit app? Maybe I'm not understanding this properly.

HoTHiTTeR

I still don't see any live traffic. I can see some accidents in the SF Bay Area, some roadwork warnings, and a couple of random streets w/ data being collected. But, where are the freeways and such? Seems like maybe they're still working on getting that going. Maybe it's purely crowdsourced from iOS6 users on GM?

bro1

Banned
iMesage was screwed up for me for a bit since my wife and I share an account. took forever to get sorted on all of our devices.

So far, ios 6 has been super fast and I love the changes. now to sell my 4s!

LCfiner

Wow that's kinda bullshit that there's no Turn by Turn for iPhone 4.

I gotta agree. considering that turn by turn and siri enhancements are two big features, it makes iOS6 a very meager update for the iphone 4. heck, if someone used google street view a lot, it could be a downgrade.

But I don't use facebook all that much so maybe that's a big plus for others. I dunno.

I installed iOS 6 last night on a 4S and it's a small update compared to the massive overhaul iOS 5 provided. the built in turn by turn is nice but I'm not feeling like there's a lot of enhancements.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Has Google said anything regarding a release date for their new iOS maps app? I want iOS 6 but I don't want to deal with the occasionally lacking maps in the areas I may need it (I live in South America).

KingKong

Are there any mobile OSes that have live 3rd party app updates from the lock screen?

I was thinking what they could do to iOS and since I don't want widgets and I think being almost completely app-focused is the way to go, this would be an awesome feature.

Think about it: There are lots of times when you turn on your phone, unlock it, and open an app just to view some information passively. What if instead of doing that, you could set it (per-app basis) to display on the lock screen where it shows new notifications?

Stuff like weather, reminders, calendar is easy, but if you open it to 3rd party apps, the ESPN app could let you set a specific game so you can check the score in a second, or see flight info, or some kind of news ticker, anything really

Loaded iOS6 onto my 4. No turn-by-turn sucks, but my phone is definitely a lot faster overall now. Hopefully my battery life doesn't go into the toilet.

kr2t0s

How does the traffic information work? It's crowd sourced? In what way? People manually update it or?

I live in LA and 100% relied on google's traffic info previously.

I'm still wrapping my head around the new maps app. Really feels like a step backwards

Quick

Banned
Maps is a disappointment in all areas imo

The turn-by-turn will be useful for me down the road (lol), and the 3D is a fun little time waster, but I do agree that I prefer Google Maps in the end.

What are the chances that Google adds turn-by-turn to their maps app?

BKXB

Economist
Seems Passbook is fairly reliant on geolocation. I haven't used geo-fenced Reminders all that much, but is there much of a hit on battery life?

7he Talon

Hopefully Australia gets more Siri support. I'm upset that we don't have 3D Flyover and Turn-by-trun navigation. Apart from that, I'm excited for IOS 6

Seems Passbook is fairly reliant on geolocation. I haven't used geo-fenced Reminders all that much, but is there much of a hit on battery life?

The times that I've used geo-fencing it has been a big hit on the battery. The GPS needs to poll for location on a regular basis.

Noema

The new Maps App is awful. Not only because it lacks features (Street View; transportation directions, etc) compared to the old app, but it's also butt-ugly. And that font! It's almost unbelievable this is a first-party, Apple designed App. 3D maps is nothing but a gimmick that only works in a handful of cities. It's the new Cover Flow.

The only thing it has going for it is that it's vector based, but it's still crap. Google's app can't come soon enough. (I do pray they are indeed working on their own app. I miss Street View already).

iOS 6 does feel snappier on my 4, but that could be my imagination. Battery life seems worse. The improvements to Safari are subtle but decent, I guess.

Overall, I'd say it's the most underwhelming iOS release to date. iOS 2 introduced the App Store. iOS 3 introduced push notifications and copy / paste and Exchange support. iOS 4 introduced wallpapers, multitasking and folders. iOS 5 introduced notification center, iMessage and iCloud. Each of these improved the functionality of devices considerably.

iOS 6, on the other hand, offers worse maps and inverted color scheme in the Music App.

tmdorsey

Getting kinda concerned. I installed the GM on my iPad 3 and I can't get Siri to talk to me or respond to any of my questions. Anybody have any ideas?

Top Bottom