• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Bruiserk

Anyone have issues installing Itunes 10.7 on win 7? It doesn't even give me an error code.
I guess that would be too complicated for the Mac users.

Quick

Banned
Anyone have issues installing Itunes 10.7 on win 7? It doesn't even give me an error code.
I guess that would be too complicated for the Mac users.

Are you trying to install 10.7 to install the GM? If so, you don't need it - as far as my experience goes, at least.

Flo_Evans

The new Maps App is awful. Not only because it lacks features (Street View; transportation directions, etc) compared to the old app, but it's also butt-ugly. And that font! It's almost unbelievable this is a first-party, Apple designed App. 3D maps is nothing but a gimmick that only works in a handful of cities. It's the new Cover Flow.

The only thing it has going for it is that it's vector based, but it's still crap. Google's app can't come soon enough. (I do pray they are indeed working on their own app. I miss Street View already).

iOS 6 does feel snappier on my 4, but that could be my imagination. Battery life seems worse. The improvements to Safari are subtle but decent, I guess.

Overall, I'd say it's the most underwhelming iOS release to date. iOS 2 introduced the App Store. iOS 3 introduced push notifications and copy / paste and Exchange support. iOS 4 introduced wallpapers, multitasking and folders. iOS 5 introduced notification center, iMessage and iCloud. Each of these improved the functionality of devices considerably.

iOS 6, on the other hand, offers worse maps and inverted color scheme in the Music App.

So I guess you don't use Facebook or twitter?

Quick

Banned
I have already tried installing the GM with 10.6. It failed and I had to restore my phone to factory after that.

Yikes. I don't know what to tell you on that front, then.

What do you mean exactly by issues? You run it, it starts installing, then just stops without warning?

Bruiserk

Yikes. I don't know what to tell you on that front, then.

What do you mean exactly by issues? You run it, it starts installing, then just stops without warning?

I'll either start installing manually which leads to two scenarios:

1) Will hang on "preforming installing checks" and not continue
2) Will boot up a "Do you want to install Itunes?" window. I click yes, it stops immediately and says "Itunes installer has encountered issues." No further information.

Or, I will use apple software update and it will:

1) Download, but once that is finished say it has encountered issues. If it persists install manually (which lead to above)
2) Continue after download but hang on "Installing..."

Noema

So I guess you don't use Facebook or twitter?

Well, Twitter integration was introduced in iOS 5.

As for Facebook integration, it's okay, I guess. It allows me to update my status from the notification center. It also gave me a ton of duplicate contacts because unless they are spelt exactly the same in the address book as it is in Facebook it'll assume they are different people.

I just want Street View back. :(

EDIT: Oh, look, new emoji

Blackhead

Redarse
Erm, is the transit hookup in Maps now active? Is any site compiling a list of transit apps for cities and documenting how it works?

Quick

Banned
How do I get things on my passbook?

Guessing you figured out iTunes 10.7 and/or getting the GM release to work? Couldn't tell you what was going on, to be honest. I actually Googled it for you. :lol

Nothing official yet, but open PassSource on your iPhone to get some test cards on it. The basic store card or membership card the store would scan will probably work, but something like a Starbucks gift card may not. I haven't tried yet.

Bruiserk

wtf is up with the appstore? When I search for an app can I change it from showing me a preview of each app (taking up the whole screen) to a list?

noah111

Still Alive
Nothing official yet, but open PassSource on your iPhone to get some test cards on it. The basic store card or membership card the store would scan will probably work, but something like a Starbucks gift card may not. I haven't tried yet.
Holy shit, this is pretty awesomely ingenious..

SuperPac

How do I get things on my passbook?

Prior to today when you clicked on App Store in Passbook nothing came up. But today the Starbucks app comes up. It updated on Aug. 22, so I dunno if it actually puts anything into Passbook, but - there it is.

EDIT: I had a card laying around that I input into the app but it doesn't show in Passbook. So. Guess it's still not quite ready yet.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
How cool is this?

qo8Oa.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Random question - the Tomtom app is on sale today, and I'm just wondering if it's still worth buying with iOS6 and maps coming?

LCfiner

Random question - the Tomtom app is on sale today, and I'm just wondering if it's still worth buying with iOS6 and maps coming?

depends what you need. if you're always driving in areas with excellent cell coverage, then probably not.

But if you want offline maps then yes. or maps in areas with very slow or intermittent cell service.

I will always have an offline GPS app loaded on the device for emergencies. you never know where you might get lost.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
depends what you need. if you're always driving in areas with excellent cell coverage, then probably not.

But if you want offline maps then yes. or maps in areas with very slow or intermittent cell service.

I will always have an offline GPS app loaded on the device for emergencies. you never know where you might get lost.

Oh wow, are iOS6 maps online/streaming only?

LCfiner

It does keep data cached though, right? As long as you don't go too far/long without service everything should work fine?

possibly. but I don't like taking chances like that when I'm in spots where I really don't know where to go. there's no ability to directly tell the app to cache a chunk of the map like how you can with newer Android releases. And we don't know if the cache would stay in memory if you switch to a bunch of other apps. (offline maps on an old ipod touch would clear out of memory after switching to one or two other apps)

it's one thing to try to find some restaurant or theatre in your own town - it's not super important. but when far from home, I'd want to make sure I could guarantee map access.

I still recommend that anyone who does this fairly often spend the money on a dedicated app. (or even a dedicated device, depending how they want to setup the thing up)

hirokazu

Hopefully Australia gets more Siri support. I'm upset that we don't have 3D Flyover and Turn-by-trun navigation. Apart from that, I'm excited for IOS 6
We do have Flyover. We don't have turn-by-turn. I'm curious as to the reason turn-by-turn isn't enabled for Australia. Surely if you can provide directions in the Maps app, it's a trivial matter to provide turn-by-turn navigation.

hirokazu

I still don't see any live traffic. I can see some accidents in the SF Bay Area, some roadwork warnings, and a couple of random streets w/ data being collected. But, where are the freeways and such? Seems like maybe they're still working on getting that going. Maybe it's purely crowdsourced from iOS6 users on GM?
From my experience, it's sourced from Waze. It's possible that Tomtom and Apple also provides traffic info, but I haven't seen any evidence of it. So if not many people use Waze in your area, expect shitty coverage.

You can try it yourself. Report heavy traffic in Waze and it'll show up in Apple's Maps. I wish Apple had a way for the public to contribute to its Maps service directly though, both to improve map accuracy and to report traffic.

giga

Whoa, totally did not realize that Facebook contacts integration adds them all to your contact list. You can even link two contacts that are the same (one on iCloud, one on Facebook) so it won't show up twice.

I thought it would be like iOS 5's twitter integration, but it actually populates your contacts with your Facebook friends. That was my favorite feature from WP7. Freaking sweet.

g1fH+

Whoa, totally did not realize that Facebook contacts integration adds them all to your contact list. You can even link two contacts that are the same (one on iCloud, one on Facebook) so it won't show up twice.

I thought it would be like iOS 5's twitter integration, but it actually populates your contacts with your Facebook friends. That was my favorite feature from WP7. Freaking sweet.

This is an option right? I remember in WebOS, it would suck everything in and you'd have to do a lot of managing to get things right. I once used some sort of sync for Facebook which nicely updated everyone's picture in my contact list, but beyond that, I'd rather not pull contacts down from Facebook because my contact list there doesn't reflect what I want in my phone contact list.

Edit: The pic didn't load initially; glad to see it's optional. I wonder if there's a way to update all the pics like before. That's a nice touch.

giga

This is an option right? I remember in WebOS, it would suck everything in and you'd have to do a lot of managing to get things right. I once used some sort of sync for Facebook which nicely updated everyone's picture in my contact list, but beyond that, I'd rather not pull contacts down from Facebook because my contact list there doesn't reflect what I want in my phone contact list.
Yeah, added a screenshot where you can toggle it off. This is what you're looking for:

eRWu+

noah111

Still Alive
As trivial as flyover is, using it on an iPad 3 is sort of amazing. It's superior to the birds eye feature from bing, in terms of practicality, but probably inferior to street view for most people, far as usability goes.

http://d.pr/i/g1fH+[IMG][/QUOTE]
I've known about this feature for a while but am REALLY weary of using it. Afraid it'll muddle or fuck up my current contacts. How did you find it works? Is there a separate group in contacts for FB?

giga

As trivial as flyover is, using it on an iPad 3 is sort of amazing. It's superior to the birds eye feature from bing, in terms of practicality, but probably inferior to street view for most people, far as usability goes.

I've known about this feature for a while but am REALLY weary of using it. Afraid it'll muddle or fuck up my current contacts. How did you find it works? Is there a separate group in contacts for FB?
It's a separate group. It's fine so far. Hasn't touched any of my iCloud contacts. I'll have to experiment to see if I can break it.

hirokazu

Edit: The pic didn't load initially; glad to see it's optional. I wonder if there's a way to update all the pics like before. That's a nice touch.
It also keep the Facebook data separate from your curated iCloud or local device data so you can remove all the Facebook-sourced data in one go if you feel you no longer want it. It's an excellent way to implement it.

hirokazu

I tried Flyover on iPad 2 and it was terrible. A lot of jaggies and that screen is really awful when you've gotten used to Retina display. Retina resolutions pretty much brute force the jaggies away.

I held off on syncing my Facebook contacts until just two weeks ago because I was afraid it'd mess up my existing ones. Then I figured to take the plunge since I have backups.

Top Bottom