• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Why is my phone hoarding 3.5 GIGS as "Other" after this update?

I have to update thirty-some apps one by one because of this.

HELP ME, AppleGAF.

Shearie

Does anyone with a 4S have this problem where whenever you go to the Genius or Purchased categories in the App Store, the app crashes? If so, did you find a fix for it? It's kinda driving me crazy and I've gotten no help from the apple.com communities.

Does anyone with a 4S have this problem where whenever you go to the Genius or Purchased categories in the App Store, the app crashes? If so, did you find a fix for it? It's kinda driving me crazy and I've gotten no help from the apple.com communities.

Nope, haven't experienced anything like that so far. Probably the only hitch was when the app store was loading my past purchases, but there's a ton of apps so I wasn't too surprised it took a while.

Anyone with a 4 should be very careful updating to this.

Battery life just gets sapped now. OS became very sluggish after 1/2 a day and needed a reboot.

We all know about the mediocre maps but you won't even get turn by turn directions.

DND feature is well done.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)

Battery life just gets sapped now. OS became very sluggish after 1/2 a day and needed a reboot.

We all know about the mediocre maps but you won't even get turn by turn directions.

Mine has been operating better than before after updating , hopefully it doesn't get sluggish for some reason.

strata8

Flyover is pretty great in Sydney.

REGhP.jpg

AvfK7.jpg

6max9.jpg

Google Earth might have more detailed skyscrapers, but it's no contest anywhere else.

Is it just me or are the 'show details' toggle in the updates section really finicky? sometimes when i push it it opens the app page, sometime it shows the update notes.

must be a really small ass 'touch zone'. And is it just me or does 'show more reviews' on review pages not work?

iphone 4S.

btw: i'm really debating if I should just block cnet on twitter. fucking getting tweets about ios6 features and what not like every hr!

But i guess all the other tech sites were kinda like that...

I've had 6.0 on my 4 since the GM last week and the opposite has happened - everything is WAY better.

mrkgoo

My aunt just texted me: my iPhone automatically updated. What is passbook ad what is it for? My maps don't show houses for my contacts addresses any more. Is there a fix?

NZer

So is Passbook broken - as in you can't even use the link to the App Store - for everyone else?

Oh, and for the maps - I prefer the new look and feel, shame about the data content though. Here in Auckland the Transport Agency's own app was always my standby (and for everyone else I know) if I needed public transport, so that hasn't affected me.

mrkgoo

How does your iPhone "automatically" update? It doesn't work that way.
No idea. She probably said yes to the update, and automatically got passbook is probably what she meant. And maps.

I just told her hopefully google maps will release a separate app like the old one.

So is it worth updating to ios6? Hard to filter through all the map complaining.

Depends. How often do you use public transportation and how often do you use maps?

I'm just surprised at how dependent people are with maps. Got a dedicated gps app years ago cuz google maps is pretty shit for navigation purposes.

Trying to use it while driving is probably one of the more dangerous things you can do on the road.

Don't know why. But every time I unlock my phone(or press home while locked) the GPS icon shows up. After unlocking it goes away after a few seconds. I don't have any location based apps running. I even closed everything just to be sure.

It never did this before updating. Starting to bug me because I am worried about battery drainage. It doesn't do it on my iPad 3g.

So is there some new GPS pinging activity hidden in this update? I am going to start wearing a tinfoil hat.

KtSlime

So is Passbook broken - as in you can't even use the link to the App Store - for everyone else?

The AppStore is notoriously persnickety when it comes to time. I had the same problem all yesterday, and I read that if you move the date one year forward, try, and then set it back it should work. I tried this yesterday, and can confirm for at least my phone that it did solve the problem.

mooooose

Passbook fucking sucks. None of my ticketmaster tickets work with it and for coupons its essentially useless so far. It's shit.

mrkgoo

Don't know why. But every time I unlock my phone(or press home while locked) the GPS icon shows up. After unlocking it goes away after a few seconds. I don't have any location based apps running. I even closed everything just to be sure.

It never did this before updating. Starting to bug me because I am worried about battery drainage. It doesn't do it on my iPad 3g.

So is there some new GPS pinging activity hidden in this update? I am going to start wearing a tinfoil hat.

It's possibly just a setting like automatic timezone or something. If you got to settings and location you can see which apps and features have pinged your location inthe last 24 hours.

It's possibly just a setting like automatic timezone or something. If you got to settings and location you can see which apps and features have pinged your location inthe last 24 hours.

I looked and didn't see anything that I didn't knowingly use since yesterday(camera, weather, ect.)

mrkgoo

Not really, isn't it $100? Just get 10 suckers to donate $10 each, profit.

Sure, but once it's out, no one will care about the past.

I looked and didn't see anything that I didn't knowingly use since yesterday(camera, weather, ect.)
Then you're probably good.

Maybe it's weather app pinging. Did you check your system settins user location? There are some system services that can ping.

Maybe it's weather app pinging. Did you check your system settins user location? There are some system services that can ping.

I checked under settings>privacy>locations services. The weather app has a grey arrow indicating it was used in the last 24 hours. But that could be because I checked it this morning.

Any other place I should look?

KtSlime

If you pull down the Notification Center and it has the weather widget enabled and you have Location Services for Weather turned on, it too could cause a ping.

now that i think about it, the'updated look' for certain apps is fucking weird.

Maybe they are just gonna ditch rounded edge squares for everything by ios 7 or 8.

'if samsung wants to copy this, than it ain't cool anymore. it's tainted'.

Ovid

So it's been a full day since the release of iOS 6. The general condenses I'm getting is that it's not that good.

Impressions?

Dany

Banned
It is great, it is faster on my 4. DND is cool, no passwords for updates is handy. New stores are better than previous.

I like maps, except it lacks transit, oh well.

It is great, it is faster on my 4. DND is cool, no passwords for updates is handy. New stores are better than previous.

I like maps, except it lacks transit, oh well.

Pretty much ditto for me. I think iOS 6 is a great update, with Maps being the one thing that seems to be sticking out as not being all that great. That said, Maps is even working fine for me in my area. No real complaints here.

Mr. F

Banned
I was under the impression Passbook worked entirely on its own, kind of disappointed to learn that it requires installing the official apps for the companies/services that tickets/gift cards/coupons belong to.

Majine

Banned
I was under the impression Passbook worked entirely on its own, kind of disappointed to learn that it requires installing the official apps for the companies/services that tickets/gift cards/coupons belong to.

Well, it doesn't require them if you get a card with the appropriate file format through mail, no?

Surfheart

Man, the Appstore runs like total garbage on my iPhone 4. Slow and laggy as hell and constantly dumping me back to the springboard when I try and check my purchase list.

The new layout is fucking horrible too.

And what's with all the UI inconsistency now? Different icons, different layouts, changes to the dialer to eye searing light grey same goes for the music player, fucking hideous.

I'm going to leave my new iPad on 5.1 till Apple get their shit together.

Top Bottom