• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Mr. F

Banned
You can add passes from the browser or email. This document would be the best thing to read if you want to know how it works: https://developer.apple.com/passbook/getting_started_with_passbook.pdf

HUfb+

Good to know. Thanks!

Damn.....so easy :) thanks guys

Hmmmm guess it wasn't so easy.............I'd still like some Facebook notifications as I've always had but I don't want to know about my friend's play that is going on Thursday through Sunday for a month.

If you pull down the Notification Center and it has the weather widget enabled and you have Location Services for Weather turned on, it too could cause a ping.

Just turned it off and it still pings. Even without unlocking the phone the GPS icon is still there. All I see is the time. So its not like I'm doing anything else. Really starting to bug me.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Don't know why. But every time I unlock my phone(or press home while locked) the GPS icon shows up. After unlocking it goes away after a few seconds. I don't have any location based apps running. I even closed everything just to be sure.

It never did this before updating. Starting to bug me because I am worried about battery drainage. It doesn't do it on my iPad 3g.

So is there some new GPS pinging activity hidden in this update? I am going to start wearing a tinfoil hat.

Did you look into the Location menu to see what apps had used it in the past 24 houirs?

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just turned it off and it still pings. Even without unlocking the phone the GPS icon is still there. All I see is the time. So its not like I'm doing anything else. Really starting to bug me.
Maybe it's one of the system services like cell network search or traffic? You can see which ones are turned on at settings > privacy > location services > system services. They shouldn't turn up whenever you unlock the phone though.

edit: nevermind, already suggested on the other page.

Maybe it's one of the system services like cell network search or traffic? You can see which ones are turned on at settings > privacy > location services > system services. They shouldn't turn up whenever you unlock the phone though.

edit: nevermind, already suggested on the other page.

Yeah, I did that. The only thing that has been used is, camera, weather, facebook, maps, siri and find my phone. All of which I did use since I updated last night.

ari

Banned
My battery on the iPad 3 is getting decimated by this firmware. Downgrading tomorrow, jailbreaking the previous firmware and hoping for the best on 6.1

Vyer

My battery on the iPad 3 is getting decimated by this firmware. Downgrading tomorrow, jailbreaking the previous firmware and hoping for the best on 6.1

Hmm. I haven't done anything to my phone, but I did update my iPad. Haven't noticed any battery issues.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife

this^^^^

I could leave mine unplugged for a week with heavy usage and the battery would stay above 70%. After charging overnight and leaving it unplugged all day with no usage i'm down to 80%

Does a back up not back up apps and app data? I just backed up my wife's iPhone to a new computer, and updated her OS, but after the restore is done, none of her apps are there. She also has iCloud set for her apps but not her pictures. How do I get her phone back to the way it was?

Liberty4all

Banned
Anyone with a 4 should be very careful updating to this.

Battery life just gets sapped now. OS became very sluggish after 1/2 a day and needed a reboot.

We all know about the mediocre maps but you won't even get turn by turn directions.

DND feature is well done.

I have a 4 and I'm noticing a real hit on battery life

Clipse

Anyone else having this problem when syncing new songs to their iPhone after upgrading to iOS 6?

Added a new album by an artist and it won't combine with all his other albums. So when I'm scrolling through my artist list I see his name twice. One leads to the album I just imported and the other to all his other albums I added before iOS 6.

Nothing is misspelled and I can't find anything wrong in the sorting options either.

Anyone else having this problem when syncing new songs to their iPhone after upgrading to iOS 6?

Added a new album by an artist and it won't combine with all his other albums. So when I'm scrolling through my artist list I see his name twice. One leads to the album I just imported and the other to all his other albums I added before iOS 6.

Nothing is misspelled and I can't find anything wrong in the sorting options either.

I've had issues like this since iOS5 was released. Still can't solve them.

Brofist

Make sure both the Album Artist and Artist fields are consistent within all the songs. If all else fails the cheap fix of making it a "part of a compilation" usually works.

Zutroy

Check there's nothing in the sort tab that's inconsistent.

buhdeh

wow, even the verge thinks iOS is getting stale now. the review score doesn't seem to really match the content of their review.

Clipse

I've triple checked each field in sorting to see if there were any hidden spaces and the spelling for the artist is exactly the same. The OCD in me is raging right now lol

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Damn, the new YouTube app doesn't let you play stuff in the background like the old one did.

Grr...

A temp solution until they fix this (hopefully) is you can still play play the audio in the background if you use the mobile version on safari. Kinda sux, but it works.

At this point, I think there is no good reason why Apple did not add widget support to the notification center. The notification center should act as double duty as a "Dashboard". The widgets don't have to update while hidden so it keeps battery life better. I would get a lot of use out of a scoreboard widget that lets me see an updated score within seconds. I'd rather do that than ask Siri.

Rookje

Anyone regretting getting the iPhone 5?

I started looking more at the competition today but I can't deal with how big android phones are.

I can't believe Maps doesn't have routing for public transit. :(
Yeah, this is a deal breaker for me since I rely on Google Maps every day as I solely use public transit. I didn't expect this at all, especially now that it is out of beta. Good thing I could still downgrade. (I could have used the Google Maps web app, but I find the integrated app to be a lot more reliable.)

Pixels

Just tried it on an iPad in Seattle and it worked well the first thing I tried. Then I tried to search for Lego stores and it didn't show the new one that opened in Lynwood. :(

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Why are you afraid? It's free.
I dunno. Because I just installed it and it is literally the nicest YouTube app I've ever used. I'd hate to get used to it only to have it one day break never to be fixed. Would suck. Just wanted to know that it was using legit public API's that would guarantee it'll always work. (I've used plenty of apps in the past that used private API's for services and would just up and break because something was changed.)

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Anyone here who pre ordered iPhone 5 or was going to get one today not going to anymore because of the maps? iPhone 5 is pre installed with ios 6. For me it's not a deal breaker, but overall the maps is a downgrade. Iv had it crash a few times when in fly over mode.

The new look if the App Store isn't smooth when flick through apps when yuu use the search function.

Other than that, Iv notice battery life isn't as good.

I don't see myself asking Siri about sports but movies saves allot of time. I like the ability launch apps from Siri.

Overall I'm ok with the update. Not impressed but not exactly disappointed.

I'm using a 4s right now and contemplating about getting an iPhone 5 in the future. The galaxy s 3, does look impressive. I'm also looking at the Samsung note 2, and the Nokia lumia 920.

I got my 5 earlier today and loving it, but has anyone who has it have issues with the physical quality of the back? I don't have a camera good enough to take a photo of it, but it is in a few places where the back glass meets the aluminium. It seems like the aluminium was cut really roughly and you can actually feel it in a few spots. Hard to explain, I'll try and take a picture. It's very visible and really irritating.

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread.

Top Bottom