• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sex House, an Onion show I started watching today. It rules.

Just searching for "fuck" gives no results either. Or "sex", etc.
There's a Parental Controls option, but in order to change them you have to go "Pro". I wonder if they're on by default? I don't want to pay for Pro just to find out. But I'd bet that's your problem. There's no reason to censor that stuff unless it's a parental control thing. They're probably on by default.

FerranMG

FWIW, iOS 6 works like a charm on my iPhone 4.
Battery life is excellent (as it was before, if not a bit better).
And the OS itself is much more responsive. I had noticed a few slowdowns during the last months, for example when unlocking the phone or multitasking with some apps.

A thing I noticed that kinda bothers me (as much as a silly thing like this can bother someone) is that when I send an e-mail, the "swooooosh" sound plays right after I press the "send" button, not when the e-mail is actually sent.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
A thing I noticed that kinda bothers me (as much as a silly thing like this can bother someone) is that when I send an e-mail, the "swooooosh" sound plays right after I press the "send" button, not when the e-mail is actually sent.
That's weird. It should play when the email is sent like when a text message is sent. The sound is supposed to signify that the transaction was successful. Hopefully that's a silly bug.

FerranMG

That's weird. It should play when the email is sent like when a text message is sent. The sound is supposed to signify that the transaction was successful. Hopefully that's a silly bug.

If memory serves me right, this was already an issue in the first beta (the only one I installed until the GM).

Xamdou

Just updated my 4S with the IOS6 update, I was wondering if Facetime over the cellular network rather than wifi will count towards my ATT unlimited data?

Number45

Just updated my 4S with the IOS6 update, I was wondering if Facetime over the cellular network rather than wifi will count towards my ATT unlimited data?
It should do, but:

If you're unfortunate enough to be an AT&T customer, there's yet another artificial obstacle to your FaceTime over cellular bliss: you have to be on a Mobile Share data plan, which are hit or miss as to whether they actually save consumers money or not.

:(

http://www.tuaw.com/2012/09/19/ios-6-facetime-over-cellular/

Zutroy

It seems odd that some people are getting significantly worse battery life, because mine seems to be better.

I've been playing music from my 4 for almost four hours now, streaming from iTunes Match so using wifi, and my battery is still at 97%.

Chili

o44nv.jpg

TfL <3

netBuff

The Android fanboy who wrote that is getting a lot of mileage out of that pic.

Considering Apple Maps terribleness (bad map display style, atrocious data) the "Additional information" does seem like a funny remark.

Criticising the obvious flaws of iOS6 doesn't mean the person is an "Android fanboy". Sports-team mentality won't better Apples Maps.

Kjellson

Help!

I got the new iOS today and while looking at the Music app I discovered that a lot of the album art is missing! The strange thing is that it shows up when you click the album but not on the album list. Anybody else got this problem?

ittoryu

I think it's funny, and I'm not an Android fanboy, so you're right!

I said the guy who wrote it was an Android fanboy. I think it's a safe bet.

Could also be someone from TFL that was just laughing at the Apple maps and at all the story? Doesn't necessarily have to be a fanboy of something, does it?

MasLegio

Banned
If I do a "factory reset" in iTunes on my iOS5 iPhone, will it be updated to iOS6 or will it still be iOS5 when the process is complete?

thinking my phone might be worth more if it is iOS5 currently

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Could also be someone from TFL that was just laughing at the Apple maps and at all the story? Doesn't necessarily have to be a fanboy of something, does it?

in cellphoneGAF, everyone is a fanboy; it is impossible to own a device without having it define you as a human being.

Probably been asked, but when I send an iMessage, people who receive it get my email not my number, how can I fix this?
i believe they only get your number if you initiated the conversation on your cellphone. iMessage on OSX will send out messages to other iMessage users with your email as the sender.

Zaph

Try out an app called "Jasmine".
http://t.co/N7QMNDXp

It's really good. Even has multitasking for YouTube videos. Works on both iPhone & iPad.
Dude, thank you so much.

The no.1 thing I was missing from iOS6 was being able to use the Youtube app as a music player (the new official Youtube app just shuts the video off if you turn off the screen).

Hopefully Google doesn't kill it...

jcm

Considering Apple Maps terribleness (bad map display style, atrocious data) the "Additional information" does seem like a funny remark.

I think the map display style is a big improvement over the google maps. It's much more clear and easier to read. The POI database needs work, and they need to improve their satellite coverage, but other than that I like the maps.

Manp

Help!

I got the new iOS today and while looking at the Music app I discovered that a lot of the album art is missing! The strange thing is that it shows up when you click the album but not on the album list. Anybody else got this problem?

just checked, same here!

:)

Angst

I think the map display style is a big improvement over the google maps. It's much more clear and easier to read. The POI database needs work, and they need to improve their satellite coverage, but other than that I like the maps.

That's just because the old iOS maps app was horribly behind Google Maps on Android and was using bitmaps to show the map. New map has vectors, just like Google Maps does on Android and desktop.

jcm

That's just because the old iOS maps app was horribly behind Google Maps on Android and was using bitmaps to show the map. New map has vectors, just like Google Maps does on Android and desktop.

Maybe so, but the person I was responding to called the new display style bad, and that's what I was taking issue with. I've never used maps on android before, so I have no opinion on it.

netBuff

Maybe so, but the person I was responding to called the new display style bad, and that's what I was taking issue with. I've never used maps on android before, so I have no opinion on it.

I find Apple Maps display style to be extremely car-centered. Only main roads are featured prominently, side streets are extremely tiny even at higher zoom levels. Rail lines are only displayed at very close levels, the same for building detail. Even if the data weren't all wrong, it isn't fun to navigate about the city with maps intended for car orientation.

On top of that, there's no clear distinction between pedestrian/bicycle ways and regular streets.

Mairu

Yeah, this is a deal breaker for me since I rely on Google Maps every day as I solely use public transit. I didn't expect this at all, especially now that it is out of beta. Good thing I could still downgrade. (I could have used the Google Maps web app, but I find the integrated app to be a lot more reliable.)

It obviously depends on where you are, but a lot of people have been recommending Lumatic City Maps as a replacement for transit. Personally, I actually had switched to using a 511 App (SF Bay Area Transit) a few months ago as I found it was much more reliable in timing than Google Maps. Still sucks to not have integrated transit in the maps app though.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Yeah, this is a deal breaker for me since I rely on Google Maps every day as I solely use public transit. I didn't expect this at all, especially now that it is out of beta. Good thing I could still downgrade. (I could have used the Google Maps web app, but I find the integrated app to be a lot more reliable.)

Tons of people have been saying this, but I don't quite understand it. Why don't you use a dedicated transit app? Do you constantly route your trip in order to get the transit info? For me, using a transit app is way more efficient at getting bus and train times. I already know how to get where I am going since I've been living in this city for a while, I just need to get the schedule for transit. Did google maps let you just look up transit times without having to constantly set a destination, or set favorite stops? I don't remember being able to do that.

Got the update, but rather wish I hadn't. My complaints with iOS6 are:

1) Maps. Ugh. Used to use them all the time for subway and bus times.
2) Status bar changing color. The black looks way, way better. Might actually try to jailbreak my phone in the future to change this.
3) App Store search results--awful. The card system just doesn't work for browsing lots of entries.
4) New look for the Phone app's dialer looks bad and doesn't match the rest of the Phone app interface.
5) Still no way to put Newstand in a folder?

In general, I feel like Apple's UI department has been dropping the ball over the past few years. The design of apps is feeling a lot more disparate lately...from the wood grain look (horrible) to the remnants of pinstriping.

All that said, the update functions well so my complaints are pretty minor in the grand scheme of things.

A temp solution until they fix this (hopefully) is you can still play play the audio in the background if you use the mobile version on safari. Kinda sux, but it works.

But then you can't browse the web while listening to youtube in background, unless you use two different browsers at the same time. Right?

KtSlime

Honestly, I think that Apple should just have stuck with google maps. It would have made all of our lives so much easier.

What if Apple didn't have the option to continue using Google Maps? I know if I made a phone and had a great mapping service I was using to sell that phone, and was currently licensing that mapping solution to my competitor, when the contract was up I'd make it as uncomfortable (expensive, lots of restrictions, etc) for them to use/relicense as possible.

It could also be that Apple really wanted to get into mapping, I suspect that there is a lot of potential revenue that can be earned and technologies that could be implemented if you controlled the mapping infrastructure. I will say however, that if I were Apple I would have released an open beta with iOS 5, and then replaced Google Maps in iOS 6, but perhaps they were slow to move and it just wasn't in the cards.

Fortunately, it seems that in my particular part of the world Apple Maps seems to be accurate - even the satellite imagery which I wasn't expecting to be at all quality or recent is only from a few months ago. So I was pleasantly surprised by that.

jcm

I find Apple Maps display style to be extremely car-centered. Only main roads are featured prominently, side streets are extremely tiny even at higher zoom levels. Rail lines are only displayed at very close levels, the same for building detail. Even if the data weren't all wrong, it isn't fun to navigate about the city with maps intended for car orientation.

That's not the case in Washington, DC. They've even got the alleys. Maybe the data in your city is worse?

On top of that, there's no clear distinction between pedestrian/bicycle ways and regular streets.

Now this seems like a legit complaint. They don't seem to have bike data at all, which is a real bummer for me, because that's my main mode of transport. Hopefully they can plug it in soon.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Freaking update failed over wi-fi.. get the connect to iTunes and recover bullshit.

Fuck this, I never sync or backup.. goddamnit... I thought I was done have to use iTunes on this fucking phone.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Were you jailbroken? My JB iPad failed over WiFi.

Nope, it's my work phone as well, so I never jail-broke it.

Do you mean you've never taken advantage of iCloud backups ever, or you just didn't back up prior to updating?

Never got around to it, I know.. my bad.

..and why the hell does iTunes updates and OS downloads over iTunes take so freaking long.. it's like my laptop is running in 486DX2 mode.

Top Bottom