• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Mr Swine

Banned
Anyone else having problems with wifi? Have to restart my iPad 2, otherwise I can't surf on the Internet, Apple maps or App Store :/ it happens even if I change networks or go to flight mode. I formatted my iPad yesterday when I was having this trouble and it still hasn't been solved. Never had this with iOS 5.1

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
See his tag.

Jk, but that is a costly mistake.

Yeah.. you can call me an idiot on this one.. now getting error 3194.. editted my host and trying again.. fucking hell this is annoying... didn't want to waste all morning to upgrade to shittier maps..

I'm getting a 5 come November, this phone is starting to have issues.

X-Frame

Has anyone been performing regular iCloud backups and haven't run out of the default 5 GB of space?

I'm considering switching from my Mac to iCloud but worried about hitting that cap and then having to revert to the Mac or pay more.

AirBrian

How do you get to the Passbook "app store" (for lack of a better term) after installing a couple of Passbooks? Do you just have to know what apps support Passbook after installing one?

How do you get to the Passbook "app store" (for lack of a better term) after installing a couple of Passbooks? Do you just have to know what apps support Passbook after installing one?

when you open the passbook app it links you to the app store page with compatible passbook apps

Guevara

It can't be said enough, the new maps are worthless to me.

I'm currently using a bookmark to the maps.google.com instead. What a stupid decision.

Clipse

Anyone else having this problem when syncing new songs to their iPhone after upgrading to iOS 6?

Added a new album by an artist and it won't combine with all his other albums. So when I'm scrolling through my artist list I see his name twice. One leads to the album I just imported and the other to all his other albums I added before iOS 6.

Nothing is misspelled and I can't find anything wrong in the sorting options either.
Update: Problem is fixed now that I have my iPhone 5 all synced up. Only cost me $400 to fix this bug..

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone else have problems with Pandora on iOS6? Adverts seem to hang now. Have to kill the app and restart it to continue music. =(

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Not digging this dial pad.

null_zps824c7cbd.png

solarus

Not digging this dial pad.

null_zps824c7cbd.png

It looks nothing like the rest of phone.
Yeah it feels like change just for the sake of it. Which is what i feel about the new app store redesign too, except for the fact i don't have to keep typing my password for updates.

AirBrian

When I click the app store link in passbook, i get the error: "Cannot connect to iTunes Store" how do i get passbooks on my phone?

Turn off automatic time in the phone settings. Change the year to 2013. Then go to passbook and get whatever apps you want. Change your time back to automatic and everything should be fine now.

My problem now is I can't get back to the Passbook app store after installing a couple of Passbooks.

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Turn off automatic time in the phone settings. Change the year to 2013. Then go to passbook and get whatever apps you want. Change your time back to automatic and everything should be fine now.

My problem now is I can't get back to the Passbook app store after installing a couple of Passbooks.

I have no use for passbook. I never travel by plane.

Unless many companies start using it for their rewards cards, and gift cards I see no real value.

Majine

Banned
I hope that we sometime in the future have so powerful iOS devices that the clock app icon can actually show the current time >.>

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Anyone else having trouble swiping through this card system. Sometimes it doesn't respond, lags, and outright crashes and closes. I think apple released an unfinished product.

null_zps2bc98b48.png

JonnyBrad

With Passbook, has anyone tried much scanning? I know in the UK they all ditched the barcode apps because the scanners just wouldn't read them (nectar, clubcard etc)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Anyone else having trouble swiping through this card system. Sometimes it doesn't respond, lags, and outright crashes and closes. I think apple released an unfinished product.

null_zps2bc98b48.png

Sometimes I can't even load the purchases list. Nor can I look at more than 5 reviews

saelz8

Trash.jpeg

It's by design. You can't swipe again until the slide animation is over.

Yes. It's trash.

Quick

Banned
isn't it kinda ironic that the new phone has more screen real estate, yet the store shows less information in the space?

Haha. I was just thinking about this.

The way they updated the store seems counterintuitive to the iPhone 5. It's easier swiping up and down to scroll, than constantly swiping side to side and viewing the app information in a smaller box. I also take issue with how it's set up on the iPad. Rather than a full page of information, you get a box that pops up when you tap on an app.

Anybody else feel like their reception got better with iOS6? I couldn't hold a call in my apartment for shit before and now it's not perfect but it's definitely better.

It obviously depends on where you are, but a lot of people have been recommending Lumatic City Maps as a replacement for transit. Personally, I actually had switched to using a 511 App (SF Bay Area Transit) a few months ago as I found it was much more reliable in timing than Google Maps. Still sucks to not have integrated transit in the maps app though.
I'm in Seattle. This looks like a very nice app, but unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to use it as a replacement because 1) it can't find certain locations, like my university campus, and 2) it can't find the bus stop right next to me, so it's telling me to walk 9 miles. A shame, considering.

Tons of people have been saying this, but I don't quite understand it. Why don't you use a dedicated transit app? Do you constantly route your trip in order to get the transit info? For me, using a transit app is way more efficient at getting bus and train times. I already know how to get where I am going since I've been living in this city for a while, I just need to get the schedule for transit. Did google maps let you just look up transit times without having to constantly set a destination, or set favorite stops? I don't remember being able to do that.
I have yet to find a single transit app that works well for Seattle. Google Maps always instantly finds locations and public transit routes, and can be used to open direction links from Safari. It also works when I'm in other countries, especially important since Seattle is only my current place of residence. If I'm ever on vacation anywhere as well, I know I can rely on Google Maps.

I usually tend to route my trip since there are sometimes buses I didn't know I could take to get to the same place, crucial if I had previously missed the bus right before. Google Maps is also the fastest and the most accessible app for me to use. I already have an app that lets me look at the bus schedules of nearby stops to see if a bus is on time or late, but I cannot use that to find my way if I'm not sure where I'm going. Nothing has beaten the route aggregation of Google Maps for me.

Robot Pants

Sorry dudes, been banned for a week and I've been struggling to keep up with the current iOS6 maps situation.
So the current situation is that iOS6 got rid of the Google Maps and replaced it with Apples maps correct? Are they planning, or can you already download a separate Google Maps app to replace it with? This is kind of a big deal for me, because I hear the Apple Maps aren't too great (bad). I've owned a shitty Galaxy S1 and have been waiting for this Iphone5 so I can get rid of the android, but this is a big deal for me. Google Maps, or any map app is probably what I use my phone for the most (aside from texts/calls).
Help a new adopter out :) Thanks guys.

edit: I guess this answers my question?

Haven't seen this posted yet...

http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/20...ready-submitted-native-ios-maps-app-to-apple/

Google Said to Have Already Submitted Native iOS Maps App to Apple

Cudder

Top Bottom