• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Phoenix

Apple maps is incredibad. Its not just that it looks like shit in many flyovers, its that it has absolutely no idea where most things are. I can't think of a bigger feature gap than not having the location for most POIs in the world not in your actual database.

I have to say, this is GENIUS on Google's part.

Either Apple rejects it, and gets even more of a backlash from users for not allowing Google Maps on the App Store, or it gets accepted and everyone just uses Google's App anyway. Win-win for googy.

This has already been denied. Google hasn't submitted a maps app just yet.

jcm

Sorry dudes, been banned for a week and I've been struggling to keep up with the current iOS6 maps situation.
So the current situation is that iOS6 got rid of the Google Maps and replaced it with Apples maps correct? Are they planning, or can you already download a separate Google Maps app to replace it with? This is kind of a big deal for me, because I hear the Apple Maps aren't too great (bad). I've owned a shitty Galaxy S1 and have been waiting for this Iphone5 so I can get rid of the android, but this is a big deal for me. Google Maps, or any map app is probably what I use my phone for the most (aside from texts/calls).
Help a new adopter out :) Thanks guys.

edit: I guess this answers my question?

It's not free, but Navigon has google POI search and street view. Oh, and public transportation routing too. And it downloads the map to your phone, so you don't need a data connection for turn by turn routing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still don't get why we even have a weather app when it's a perfect sunny 73 degrees outside everyday 24/7 365
Don't forget that it's also perpetually quarter after 10 on the dot. Yet the day changes constantly.

How stupid is that oversight? They could do so much with this technology in OS X/iOS. Updating clock and weather would be simple. And while they're at it, make the photos icon optionally show real photos from our library.

I'm not asking them to go crazy with animations and kill the battery life. These icons would need updates once a minute at most (Remove the second hand) for the clock and once every hour or two for the weather and only if it's changed.

Tobor

Don't forget that it's also perpetually quarter after 10 on the dot. Yet the day changes constantly.

How stupid is that oversight? They could do so much with this technology in OS X/iOS. Updating clock and weather would be simple. And while they're at it, make the photos icon optionally show real photos from our library.

I'm not asking them to go crazy with animations and kill the battery life. These icons would need updates once a minute at most (Remove the second hand) for the clock and once every hour or two for the weather and only if it's changed.

The time is right there at the top of the screen. Why waste any battery at all on something so redundant?

Currently downloading the American Airlines app on my phone. I'll ironically be flying with them to NYC next Wednesday night so time to see if I can use Passbook for this flight...

tralfazz

So now instead of downloading podcasts through the itunes store search, I have to download them through that clunky Piece Of Shit podcasts app?? Using a 4 with iOS6.

Has the app improved with iOS6 cause it was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit with iOS5 and was certainly not as usable as how I was doing it.

from the reviews, still shit.

Nothing you can do about it :(

Just move on :D

And ios is always about MORE APPS EVERYWHERE ALL OVER MY FACE AND SCREEN.

Think you got the wrong memo.

Tobor

Has the app improved with iOS6 cause it was shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit with iOS5 and was certainly not as usable as how I was doing it.

It is definitely improved in iOS 6. On the iPhone 5, it's practically perfect.

EDIT: assuming you like the UI and functionality, of course.

madmook

Wish the Podcast app wasn't forced on us. I was perfectly happy downloading direct from iTunes. This new app is a bit janky. Bleh.

Tuck

Anyone else having trouble swiping through this card system. Sometimes it doesn't respond, lags, and outright crashes and closes. I think apple released an unfinished product.

null_zps2bc98b48.png

Yeah its very laggy. But the idea is nice. I just wish there was a way to scroll through them faster.

Xevo

Anyone else having problems with wifi? Have to restart my iPad 2, otherwise I can't surf on the Internet, Apple maps or App Store :/ it happens even if I change networks or go to flight mode. I formatted my iPad yesterday when I was having this trouble and it still hasn't been solved. Never had this with iOS 5.1

Here too. Works fine on my ipad 3, but on the iphone 4s the internet over wifi just stops working sometimes despite a perfect connection. Never happend before, not happy!

Kjellson

deleted all the music from the phone and re-synced it. it's fixed now.

you could do so only for the albums that show the problem but i guess it would take more time.

see... :)
Good idea. Sounds a little bit too risky for my comfort, but I guess I'll try it next time I plug it in.

Manp

Good idea. Sounds a little bit too risky for my comfort, but I guess I'll try it next time I plug it in.

risky? why? from itunes i just unchecked my playlists from the device's music tab and did a sync, that deleted all the music. then i re-selected all my playlists and did a sync again.

pretty straightforward and worked on the first try.

btw, i just noticed that Windows explorer now shows a picture of an actual iphone 4s when connected by usb as opposed to the generic icon it used to show. is this an itunes 10.7 thing?

:)

kr2t0s

I dont know if its better, but its built in, and It's certainly good enough. I've already deleted Instapaper from my iPhone and iPad.

How do you handle links from twitter? I'm assuming your part of the Tweetbot army (if not you should be) - this is the only thing stopping me from deleting the hell out of pocket, read it later, instapaper, etc.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quick question about background tasks. I'm trying to find my ideal podcast app and have currently settled on downcast but wonder what other options there might be? I'm mainly disappointed that you can tell it to check for feed updates every 12 hours, but it doesn't unless the app is running in the foreground (not very likely). But apparently if you set it to update feeds based on location, it can do that even if it isn't running at all (and hopefully also download the episodes)

Is this a limitation of ios? It seems odd that a location can trigger an app to do something, but an app can't simply ask to be woken up at a particular time of the day, which would surely be much simpler?

Quick question about background tasks. I'm trying to find my ideal podcast app and have currently settled on downcast but wonder what other options there might be? I'm mainly disappointed that you can tell it to check for feed updates every 12 hours, but it doesn't unless the app is running in the foreground (not very likely). But apparently if you set it to update feeds based on location, it can do that even if it isn't running at all (and hopefully also download the episodes)

Is this a limitation of ios? It seems odd that a location can trigger an app to do something, but an app can't simply ask to be woken up at a particular time of the day, which would surely be much simpler?

it's some limitation. It's weird. I just have it set to check every 3 hrs. that way pretty much any time of the day that you open up the app to listen to podcasts it checks.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it's some limitation. It's weird. I just have it set to check every 3 hrs. that way pretty much any time of the day that you open up the app to listen to podcasts it checks.

Yeah, I'm mainly worried for BBC feeds that only ever have one active episode. So if I don't use downcast for a week, I can miss an episode. And I tend to store podcasts for long journeys so it doesn't get opened that often

Tobor

No apps are allowed to do timed downloads...except for Newstand apps. Magazines and Newspapers using the Newstand API can download overnight.

I hoped they would make another exception for podcasts, especially their own app, but as of now they have not.

Fjolle

Microsoft should just release a new version of bing maps with nokia turn by turn navigation just to show people that it can be done the right way...

Yeah, I'm mainly worried for BBC feeds that only ever have one active episode. So if I don't use downcast for a week, I can miss an episode. And I tend to store podcasts for long journeys so it doesn't get opened that often

just go to the podcast page on the app and click 'view available episodes'. The ones you haven't viewed will not be grayed out.

Kjellson

risky? why? from itunes i just unchecked my playlists from the device's music tab and did a sync, that deleted all the music. then i re-selected all my playlists and did a sync again.

pretty straightforward and worked on the first try.

btw, i just noticed that Windows explorer now shows a picture of an actual iphone 4s when connected by usb as opposed to the generic icon it used to show. is this an itunes 10.7 thing?

:)
Yes, I know. But some things can easily go wrong and with my luck I could loose my whole collection! Lol.

Yeah, I know, it's not a big risk. I'll try it soon.

Tobor

How do you handle links from twitter? I'm assuming your part of the Tweetbot army (if not you should be) - this is the only thing stopping me from deleting the hell out of pocket, read it later, instapaper, etc.

I just use the Twitter app, and open in Safari. From there save to reading list if it looks interesting.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is my first iPhone, so here's a really dumb question - how do I stream podcasts that I've downloaded on my PC locally to the iPhone? I can stream music through the Music app, but the Music app won't read any of my podcast playlists.

Switching to the Podcast app, I don't see any home sharing options whatsoever.

Am I stuck downloading the same podcast twice just to have it one my PC and my phone?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just go to the podcast page on the app and click 'view available episodes'. The ones you haven't viewed will not be grayed out.

I know, but for some BBC podcasts, they are only live for a week, then they get pulled. So the list of episodes is only ever 1.

Can push notifications trigger a download? Seems a Heath Robinson way would be to use pocket casts too remind me when new episodes are available, and then I can launch downcast to download them.

Majine

Banned
Arent gamesaves stored in icloud? Just redownloaded Plants vs Zombies only to find myself back in the beginning, with the humiliating tutorial level. Hey, I know how to play PvZ, you asshats ;(

Tobor

I know, but for some BBC podcasts, they are only live for a week, then they get pulled. So the list of episodes is only ever 1.

Can push notifications trigger a download? Seems a Heath Robinson way would be to use pocket casts too remind me when new episodes are available, and then I can launch downcast to download them.

Are you going to go a full week without ever opening the app once? If not, you're covered.

Top Bottom