• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

X-Frame

How is it that there is a photo that syncs to my iPad and iPhone but that is no where to be found on my MBP's iPhoto so I can delete it?

Where would it be coming from if I am only syncing photos from iPhoto?

I know, but for some BBC podcasts, they are only live for a week, then they get pulled. So the list of episodes is only ever 1.

Can push notifications trigger a download? Seems a Heath Robinson way would be to use pocket casts too remind me when new episodes are available, and then I can launch downcast to download them.

I have that trouble as well. (BBC Radio 4 Friday Night Comedy Podcast). I added them to my Google Reader via the RSS feed. When I see a new post I just jump into my app and download the podcast.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Quick question about background tasks. I'm trying to find my ideal podcast app and have currently settled on downcast but wonder what other options there might be? I'm mainly disappointed that you can tell it to check for feed updates every 12 hours, but it doesn't unless the app is running in the foreground (not very likely). But apparently if you set it to update feeds based on location, it can do that even if it isn't running at all (and hopefully also download the episodes)

Is this a limitation of ios? It seems odd that a location can trigger an app to do something, but an app can't simply ask to be woken up at a particular time of the day, which would surely be much simpler?

iOS doesn't have "true" multitasking; only certain tasks, such as location services and audio playback, can run in the background.

Apps can't schedule background downloads?

Not if they're not running in the backgroud. And again, only very specific tasks can do that. Other apps will get shut down shortly after they're not running in the foreground anymore.

kehs

Banned
Is this across the board for iOS or just on the iPhone, the ipad on idle could surely manage background tasks without a big battery hit.

Just the one thing tobey? I'm sure we agree on how awesome Steve Jobs was. RIP.

e: what happened to rubdub? haven't seen him post in a while.

bonesquad

Why GAF? Why?

wtf_zps3ccd6915.png

I think you're a little confused there App Store, you're not showing me results you're showing fucking nothing.

When I first played around with the new App Store today I thought this is great. I like the new lists, and updating apps is so much nicer. Then I did a search... (ironically also for Jasmine:) At first I thought, did I type that wrong. Then I realized, oh. This is fucking stupid.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Never had bugs until I updated to iOS 6. Now I have blank icons, frozen screens and quick close apps galore. I'm a little annoyed with my former favorite device in the whole wide world.

Phoenix

When I first played around with the new App Store today I thought this is great. I like the new lists, and updating apps is so much nicer. Then I did a search... (ironically also for Jasmine:) At first I thought, did I type that wrong. Then I realized, oh. This is fucking stupid.

Yeah, many features of the OS have gone to shit to integrate in a lot of technology that Apple has acquired. The search function is awful - slows down finding the app you were looking for. Maps is incredibad as well. The new phone App just looks broken. Messages continues to transmit iMessages to phones that you don't have anymore.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Never had bugs until I updated to iOS 6. Now I have blank icons, frozen screens and quick close apps galore. I'm a little annoyed with my former favorite device in the whole wide world.

Yeah, many features of the OS have gone to shit to integrate in a lot of technology that Apple has acquired. The search function is awful - slows down finding the app you were looking for. Maps is incredibad as well. The new phone App just looks broken. Messages continues to transmit iMessages to phones that you don't have anymore.

It just works.™

(Sorry.)

Tobor

Is this across the board for iOS or just on the iPhone, the ipad on idle could surely manage background tasks without a big battery hit.

No I'm sure it's more than one, this is just one of them.

It's iOS wide, and has been since multitasking was implemented. No scheduled downloading. I guessing they don't want people waking up to dead iPhones and iPads after forgetting to plug in the charger.

They've made one exception so far, for Newsstand.

Sarquiss_

Anyone having issues with Music randomly skipping after they installed iOS6 on their iPhone 4???

I had the beta installed earlier and never had this issue?? Might downgrade to 5.1.1 :(

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Ok, can anyone get home sharing to work from mountain lion to an ios 6 ipad?

The ipad music app keeps timing out when I connect to my itunes library and home sharing keeps disappearing off of my itunes sidebar. I can log out under advance then log back in and it shows up for like 3 seconds before vanishing again.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon

I like the fact that you can update apps and install app without being kicked out of the app, but they should definitely offer the option to have a list view or this larger description view when searching for apps.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

e: what happened to rubdub? haven't seen him post in a while.

The really stupid thing is that a timed 'wake up' would be significantly less battery draining than location based notifications, which they DO support. I'd be fine with limiting the granularity, so eg the system allows apps to be signalled once every three hours, and the apps just work around that

BTW, anyone finding the buttons on m.neogaf is less responsive since updating? Edit/post often seem to take two presses for me

Enco

The App Store is still fucked.

The genius tab doesn't even load. It crashes every time I click on it. It's also very very slow.

The App Store, maps and music apps all need to be fixed.

Just tried doing a search for "puzzle" on the App Store. Crashes the App Store app a few seconds later. It's done it 5 times in a row and I've even tried resetting the device.

I'm still stuck on the last iOS6 beta. How do I get up to the final version? Trying to update from the settings menu on my phone or through iTunes doesn't work. =(

JaseMath

Has anyone else's battery life taken a big hit since updating? An average day usually ends with the battery anywhere from 50%-60%, but in the days since I've updated, it's ending in the 25%-35%. This is with fairly moderate use between the GPS (for traffic) and music (Spotify). I used to go every other day between charges, but it will almost certainly die if I don't charge it nightly.

EDIT: Using a 4S.

Can more than one person share photos to the same photo stream? I created a shared stream called Family but I'd like other family members who I invited to it to be able to add photos to it to. Or does everyone have to creat their own stream?

Has anyone else's battery life taken a big hit since updating? An average day usually ends with the battery anywhere from 50%-60%, but in the days since I've updated, it's ending in the 25%-35%. This is with fairly moderate use between the GPS (for traffic) and music (Spotify). I used to go every other day between charges, but it will almost certainly die if I don't charge it nightly.

I think I'm noticing a larger drain too on my iPad 3, but I need a longer evaluation.

Yes same but Pandora for music.

CrankyJay

Banned

Yes. Especially on my 4. Do you have DND enabled?

SuperPac

Can more than one person share photos to the same photo stream? I created a shared stream called Family but I'd like other family members who I invited to it to be able to add photos to it to. Or does everyone have to creat their own stream?

Sadly no. My wife and I wanted to do the same thing as we both take pictures of our daughter on our phones and would love to have one place to share it with family. I hope they add that in the future. For now we just have an iMessage thread with everyone on it that we throw pictures into.

So when I'm browsing on safari the scroll bar at the side of the screen only goes halfway down my iPad screen, I have no way of knowing where abouts on a page I am

Man I don't get wifi sync at all, it's so bad, half the time it doesn't detect my ipod, and other times it detects it, but for some reason ejects the ipod mid sync.

Tedesco!

This podcast app is horrid. I don't know what compelled Apple to separate podcasts from the rest of the music app. It organizes the podcasts out of order and doesn't continually play once the previous podcast ends. Fuck, this app is awful.

Garou

This podcast app is horrid. I don't know what compelled Apple to separate podcasts from the rest of the music app. It organizes the podcasts out of order and doesn't continually play once the previous podcast ends. Fuck, this app is awful.

Huh? The latest update gave an option on what to play after a podcast ends.

noah111

Still Alive
Posted?

ios-6-adoption-537x400.png

Pretty amazing. Especially considering how ridiculous the iOS 5 adoption rate was to begin with.

I guess the built in OTA software updating in the settings really paid off.

Top Bottom