• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

C Jones

Is there anyway to get embedded YouTube videos to default to a higher resolution? I'm not sure what changed - something on YouTube's end or what - but embedded videos now default to low res.

This is killing Flipboard for me. It used to work fine in iOS 5.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Can't view your own account with that Jasmine app? Inferior youtube experience confirmed.

Also just noticed the new dialer; ugly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Don't think so. 3rd party app that can stream podcasts is probably your best bet, but I'm not too sure why you want to do this.

What is your use case scenario?
I don't want to download the same file two or three times on all my devices. At home, I download to a main computer and stream from there to my other computers. I was hoping to be able to do that with the phone as well.

I don't get why Apple would even make a distinction between podcasts and music. They're both mp3s. It's not like I'm asking to stream a 1080p movie over my home network or something.

Mairu

Posted this in the best of iOS thread but got no responses, maybe someone here has used Boxcar?

Has anyone tried Boxcar? I've just updated to the 5 and I'm trying to figure out how I can manage to deal with Sparrow without Push (at least until it gets jailbroken) and saw this as a suggestion somewhere else. I've already moved one of my work emails off Sparrow and onto the default Mail App, but it really sucks having to go back to using Mail after Sparrow :(

Sean

Banned
Has anyone tried Boxcar? I've just updated to the 5 and I'm trying to figure out how I can manage to deal with Sparrow without Push (at least until it gets jailbroken) and saw this as a suggestion somewhere else. I've already moved one of my work emails off Sparrow and onto the default Mail App, but it really sucks having to go back to using Mail after Sparrow :(

I used to love Boxcar, but it really went to shit a few months back. Like it'd be completely broken for long stretches of time and the developer(s) would be unresponsive. I uninstalled it.

The app/company was sold to another developer shortly after that though, so I'm not sure if the situation has improved since.

Oh, the humanity!

ERyRN.jpg

Tabris

Quick question. Does anyone know how to get your WiFi iPad to recognize your phone number for "Receive At" for iMessage? My macbook was able to recognize my phone number.

OmniOne

Quick question. Does anyone know how to get your WiFi iPad to recognize your phone number for "Receive At" for iMessage? My macbook was able to recognize my phone number.

Setting/messages/send and receive/

Nvm poster above probably found the issue.

So guys, what do you use for importing/backing up your iPhone pictures in iOS6? I'm sick that my iphone doesn't automatically put my pictures in a map.

Also: all my pictures are gone thanks to a fucked up icloud backup, but they can still be found in the itunes backups. Is there any FREE program to recover my pictures? Seriously pissing me off.

So guys, what do you use for importing/backing up your iPhone pictures in iOS6? I'm sick that my iphone doesn't automatically put my pictures in a map.

Also: all my pictures are gone thanks to a fucked up icloud backup, but they can still be found in the itunes backups. Is there any FREE program to recover my pictures? Seriously pissing me off.

I have the icloud app on my PC and I assume there is a similar thing on Mac. It syncs with my photostream and so everything is backed up on my PC.

noah111

Still Alive
Music app is even more terrible and nonsensical.
How so? I've gotten used to the whole 'all-white' look, but at least it isn't conflicting that with black gloss. There is all-white for music browsing and all-black for music controlling, basically.

The whole tinting of the status bar was such a weird, if not stupid move tbh, especially considering the amount of 3rd party apps that probably will never even adopt that gui model to begin with.

Because most of the OS is black and blue and that's white and orange.

Inconsistent and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Also white is hard on your eyes.

Omikaru

Has anyone else's battery life taken a big hit since updating? An average day usually ends with the battery anywhere from 50%-60%, but in the days since I've updated, it's ending in the 25%-35%. This is with fairly moderate use between the GPS (for traffic) and music (Spotify). I used to go every other day between charges, but it will almost certainly die if I don't charge it nightly.

EDIT: Using a 4S.

Yes, exactly the same situation here. I used to do about 50% over 24 with regular usage (music, texting and sometimes games), but it was 100% 11 hours ago, and now it's 47%. If I don't put it on charge before I go to bed, it will be dead by morning. This happened immediately after iOS 6 was installed.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah I find the auto photo upload on dropbox perfect for backing up iphone photos.
Doesn't it require DropBox to be opened in order to work? The Android version was able to burrow into the OS and run in the background, but the iOS version I would expect would need to be launched occasionally. That's the main reason I don't use the feature. (That and I do have iPhoto and like having Photo Stream) But I did like for a while when I had an Android as it ended up adding 500MB to my free account. Still...

Mairu

I used to love Boxcar, but it really went to shit a few months back. Like it'd be completely broken for long stretches of time and the developer(s) would be unresponsive. I uninstalled it.

The app/company was sold to another developer shortly after that though, so I'm not sure if the situation has improved since.

That sucks :(

Its hard to use Sparrow without Push... hopefully the jailbreak won't take long to be released

wrowa

Does anyone know why the official YouTube app is not available for download in Europe?

(And, yes, I know about Jasmine. It just puzzles my mind that the official app is not available over here.)

Quick

Banned
Does anyone know why the official YouTube app is not available for download in Europe?

(And, yes, I know about Jasmine. It just puzzles my mind that the official app is not available over here.)

That's odd. Perhaps some sort of EU law or rule is preventing it from coming out? I can't see it being that big a deal. Or maybe the app submission process is different from there compared to North America, and it's either not been submitted or it's just taking a while.

Majine

Banned

What, I downloaded it and im european. Even more regional thingie?

wrowa

What, I downloaded it and im european. Even more regional thingie?

Huh. Apparently it's available everywhere but in Germany (even though the app is available in Geman according to iTune's description). Strange.

I guess there are some licensing issues? Doesn't really make sense either since the old app worked just fine and the website does too, but whatever.

Tobor

Just used turn-by-turn in my car for the first time, very pleased with it. Better than my old Garmin.

I've used it a few times now. My brother and I just drove over to a friends house and forced rerouting a few times. Worked out great.

Lost in all the drama is that Apple built a really great turn by turn implentation.

LCfiner

I've used it a few times now. My brother and I just drove over to a friends house and forced rerouting a few times. Worked out great.

Lost in all the drama is that Apple built a really great turn by turn implentation.

The turn by turn is fine. But the lack of data for stores, restaurants, landmarks, etc is a major problem.

I was messing around with it recently. I live one block away from a grocery store called metro. I search for "metro groceries" near my place and the map had to zoom out to show 3 other locations miles away but not the one next door.

There's been some other examples like that, too. Basically, I feel like I can't trust the maps database. If I'm in a foreign city, I'll have to double check everything in google maps or navigon...

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
The turn by turn is fine. But the lack of data for stores, restaurants, landmarks, etc is a major problem.

I was messing around with it recently. I live one block away from a grocery store called metro. I search for "metro groceries" near my place and the map had to zoom out to show 3 other locations miles away but not the one next door.

There's been some other examples like that, too. Basically, I feel like I can't trust the maps database. If I'm in a foreign city, I'll have to double check everything in google maps or navigon...

App Store

LCfiner

App Store

Yes, I know. I own navigon and have already added the google web app to my home screen till a native app comes out.

The point is that the built in mapping system shouldn't be so unreliable that you have to point someone to the App Store just to find things.

We should all have very high standards for this feature.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

After a week+ of testing, I'm seeing the same thing.
Couldn't find the car shop down the road so I could call them.

I hate thinking that I might be missing data when doing a blind search like I do so often.

Mr. F

Banned
I still can't believe it's the exact same shit as the beta. Such a conflict. The black gloss does not flow well at all with the gradient blue textures or the 'soft' white buttons. smh

Popped in to comment on this. iOS 6 feels really inconsistent across the board in terms of its visual aesthetic. Some things like the Music app and Phone dial buttons have adopted the new white gradient look while others have remained with the glossy looking buttons/skinning of previous versions, and sometimes there's even a clash of styles within the same app.

Makes everything look sloppy and hacked together, they need to better unify the style across the OS.

RDreamer

Popped in to comment on this. iOS 6 feels really inconsistent across the board in terms of its visual aesthetic. Some things like the Music app and Phone dial buttons have adopted the new white gradient look while others have remained with the glossy looking buttons/skinning of previous versions, and sometimes there's even a clash of styles within the same app.

Makes everything look sloppy and hacked together, they need to better unify the style across the OS.

I feel like ever since I adopted both OS X and the iphone things have gone downhill in this regard. Both in terms of feel of the UI and in terms of look I feel like they're getting more and more cluttered and disorganized.

Angel Gamer

Neo Member
I'm in Canada so I'm wondering how different Passbook is for everyone else. I have access to: Cineplex Mobile, Live Nation, Ticketmaster, American Airlines, United Airlines, Luftansa, Sephora to Go.

Are people from the US and others places any differences?

noah111

Still Alive

Yup. I think the main issue is the bottom navbar. You see the itunes/app stores and music app adopt a new 'pushed button' style with the buttons being squared matte, but then other apps using the pushed outward/curved gloss style with rounded square overlay buttons. That's the main issue.

On the topic of the music app and the phone though, it's weird because they adopted the white gradient look for the keypad, but then go ahead to the contacts list and you still have that grey alphabetical arrangement, with transparent separators and all that. Why not just use the music alphabetical view for some consistency with the keypad? It's just a mess.

The default assets should be pinned down, as it really is a clash between the old gloss and the new matte. All the apps should adopt the new navbar look, as well as the music app's listing view. Just jumping between the phone app, to the photos app, to the videos app, then to the music app, really illustrates how clashing it all is.

Top Bottom