• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 6 |OT| New Maps? googy pls

Tuck

Popped in to comment on this. iOS 6 feels really inconsistent across the board in terms of its visual aesthetic. Some things like the Music app and Phone dial buttons have adopted the new white gradient look while others have remained with the glossy looking buttons/skinning of previous versions, and sometimes there's even a clash of styles within the same app.

Makes everything look sloppy and hacked together, they need to better unify the style across the OS.

Yeah. It feels like they redesigned some apps, but didn't bother to match others to this new style they are going for. In some cases, like the phone, it seems like they redesigned half of it but not the other. It all fells very undercooked.

The new store looks great though. Hopefully they bring the rest of their apps up to its quality level of design (Minus the bugs).

EDIT: Even in the new music app design, its not consistent. The nav bar at the bottom really should be black, like in the store. Instead, its grey, which just looks weird along side the list of songs.

Mr. F

Banned
Yup. I think the main issue is the bottom navbar. You see the itunes/app stores and music app adopt a new 'pushed button' style with the buttons being squared matte, but then other apps using the pushed outward/curved gloss style with rounded square overlay buttons. That's the main issue.

On the topic of the music app and the phone though, it's weird because they adopted the white gradient look for the keypad, but then go ahead to the contacts list and you still have that grey alphabetical arrangement, with transparent separators and all that. Why not just use the music alphabetical view for some consistency with the keypad? It's just a mess.

The default assets should be pinned down, as it really is a clash between the old gloss and the new matte. All the apps should adopt the new navbar look, as well as the music app's listing view. Just jumping between the phone app, to the photos app, to the videos app, then to the music app, really illustrates how clashing it all is.

Yeah a lot of common sense repurposed applications have been completely overlooked, just like how they could have used the new keypad buttons in the Phone app and applied them to the lock screen passcode keypad.

One that bothers me the most (as I see it most frequently) is Music, seeing the new matte and metallic-looking buttons in-app vs. the old glossy ones when controlling music from the lock screen is annoying. It really is a bit of a joke in some spots, for as much as Apple touts their UI design.

Bgamer90

Banned
Popped in to comment on this. iOS 6 feels really inconsistent across the board in terms of its visual aesthetic. Some things like the Music app and Phone dial buttons have adopted the new white gradient look while others have remained with the glossy looking buttons/skinning of previous versions, and sometimes there's even a clash of styles within the same app.

Makes everything look sloppy and hacked together, they need to better unify the style across the OS.

I like iOS 6 and feel that it isn't sloppy at all but I do agree with you about the inconsistency. Some interfaces changed for the better, some for the worse, and others not at all. Gives an overall mix/match feeling sometimes.

Tuck

Yeah a lot of common sense repurposed applications have been completely overlooked, just like how they could have used the new keypad buttons in the Phone app and applied them to the lock screen passcode keypad.

One that bothers me the most (as I see it most frequently) is Music, seeing the new matte and metallic-looking buttons in-app vs. the old glossy ones when controlling music from the lock screen is annoying. It really is a bit of a joke in some spots, for as much as Apple touts their UI design.

At this point, I'd say that the lock screen is in desperate need for a complete overhaul. Its hideous.

noah111

Still Alive

Honestly, i'd be fine with the lock screen being the only place that retains the glossy elements. It's outdated anyway, but they're certainly not going to get rid of the gloss there, so no need to update it.

The controls on the other hand, hell yes. I did a few mockups before of how they should update the playback controls of the lock screen to adopt the music player style.

Another outdated thing? The dark blue pop-ups. Aren't those the exact same circa '07? Plus they're flu-on glossy of course. I honestly would take a linen drop down from the top instead of that.

All they really need to do is create a light blue (see new header/footer bars in mail) version of the music and stores' navigation bar. If not just to retain some consistency in the apps that need a navbar (i.e. phone).

Redux

Banned
I still can't believe it's the exact same shit as the beta. Such a conflict. The black gloss does not flow well at all with the gradient blue textures or the 'soft' white buttons. smh

THe phone dial pad on Skype looks better imo (now)

Raw64life

Having trouble with my Music app when it comes to streaming my library to my phone. It basically streams whatever it wants. Sometimes I get the entire library, sometimes I just get a handful of artists/albums with the rest missing. Annoying considering I almost went the 64GB but decided to save myself $200 since I could just stream my music. It's like Apple found out I was trying to save money and decided to screw with me. Anyone else having problems like this?

Can anyone help with this issue please: iOS 6 beta 4 (ipad 3) will not upgrade to the new ios6 via OTA or iTunes. How can I get this going without a full restore?

RC

Banned
iOS6 finally fixed something that had broken all throughout iOS5. Shuffle doesn't randomly turn off when playing music over Bluetooth anymore!
I'm sure I'll find something to complain about later, but for now, it's all sunshine and lollipops.

Zanosuke

Updated my iPod 4th gen to ios 6 today and god dammit, the podcast app is not good. Some casts starts in iTunes, some in the new app, some play in both, at the same time!?

Majine

Banned
I hope the music app gets the "Up Next" feature that Desktop iTunes is getting in october. It's my favorite way of playing music in other players.

elektrixx

Banned
My phone was off this morning when I woke up. The charge cable was plugged in too.

I was running Sleep Cycle overnight, but maybe there's some other issue.

numble

Dude, fuck the podcast app. Anytime I even TRY to listen to a show, it just keeps on skipping through the entire library on loop. So ridiculous.
It means you haven't downloaded the episode and possibly you are not connected to the Internet. Or you need to manually close the app from memory.

noah111

Still Alive
Breaking news: the origami mode for the picture frame slideshow on iPad's lock screen is no longer pixelated as fuck. Yay!

Also, flyover is actually really awesome. I know it's trivial, but revisiting some places in houston where I used to live, and literally re-walking my path and seeing my place and the buildings and all that, ridiculously cool. I can definitely get a three dimensional sense of place and direction better with flyover than I could with street view, but street view was definitely more practically beneficial in trying to identify a specific place before getting there.

Oh and to confirm what I previously asked (which no one answered), iOS 6 does indeed re-enable the local hotspot option on GSM iPad 4G's. Main reason I had jailbroken 5.1 was to get this option, so this is welcomed.

hirokazu

Flyover is a great feature. I don't get people who keep posting screenshots of its limitations and places where it didn't turn out right and say "Huh huh, Apple fail."

buhdeh

Flyover is a great feature. I don't get people who keep posting screenshots of its limitations and places where it didn't turn out right and say "Huh huh, Apple fail."

Really cause it's non-existent in Vancouver and taking a look at a city like San Francisco makes it look like a map from Fallout cause all the buildings look like they're destroyed or melting into the ground. It looks cool for the first 5 seconds til you realize the feature has almost no practical use.

Quick

Banned
It's entertaining spinning Toronto around via the CN Tower.

Otherwise, I don't think I'd ever use flyover for anything practical.

Cipherr

People probably wouldn't if the actual maps portion wasn't having such horrible issues around the world. Flyover and Google earth are pretty much only good for a few "Wow thats cool!"'s but outside of that and showing it to friends who haven't seen it before, it has next to no practical use until they build it out completely and can seamless stitch it with satellite view for maps worldwide.

Folks posting the post apocalyptic looking shots are probably doing it out of frustration with the bad data from the normal Maps section.

Anson225

Hi all, I have been synching several albums from my iPhoto to my iPhone for a while and everything was fine.

But after upgrading to iOS 6, whenever I check the FACE section of the photo app, whoever is in those albums and is my Facebook friends get a separate field for them. That is really annoying because they are already recognised as different faces in the iPhoto on Mac.

There is no so called Facebook Faces on my iPhoto, I even unlinked my Facebook account with my iPhoto. But the Photo section in the iTunes still show those Facebook names.

Sorry for the long read and I will appreciate any help

Assuming you're using iCloud for your music then I had the same problem during the beta, I fixed it by renaming my playlists and then renaming them back to whatever they originally were.
Not using iTunes Match, if that's what you mean. When I expand my iPhone 5 in the iTunes Devices list, it shows my playlists. They're just not showing up in the Music app. Argh.

I don't think Jasmine is very good at all. I'm not a fan of that sliding style and it takes too long to get to my subscriptions.

I still think the old YouTube app was great, I'm hoping with jailbreak they find a way to bring it back.

antispin

So what's the best way to upgrade a jailbroken iPad3 to this OS? Got link? The straight and narrow didn't work, threw a generic error.

Nevermind, done.

Ambitious

Yesterday I heard that the "swoosh" sound which is played when sending an email using Mail.app is played immediately in iOS 6, instead of after the email actually has been sent. Is that true? This would be so dumb, it would defeat the actual purpose of the sound.

Future

I'm still not sure if people actually believe this, or just think that they should believe this. The feature reminds me of google earth in delivering aome initial wow factor when viewing a few places you know. But it's so limited in scope it is barely worth mentioning. And I sincerely doubt it will help anyone find anything since outside key landmarks seeing the size of a random building seems worthless. I wonder how many resources apple will spend to provide fly over for just their iOS devices

noah111

Still Alive
I'm still not sure if people actually believe this, or just think that they should believe this. The feature reminds me of google earth in delivering aome initial wow factor when viewing a few places you know. But it's so limited in scope it is barely worth mentioning. And I sincerely doubt it will help anyone find anything since outside key landmarks seeing the size of a random building seems worthless. I wonder how many resources apple will spend to provide fly over for just their iOS devices
What? It's not just for giant skyscrapers you know. It really helped me visualize even the smallest of builds like CVS stores or small restaurants. To say it's worthless because it can't help you identify anything just isn't true. I like the feature, being from houston it's pretty neat to dive into places you've been and places you were going to go, etc. I think it is a useful feature, and not a total throwaway as you're making it out to be. I don't get the hate for the sake of hate, tbh. It's actually pretty amazing.

I love how back when we had a reel of the company Apple acquired, showing how this tech works, everyone was aback by it and amazed, and now it's just complete trash. Flyover's ingenuity shouldn't be poo-pooed just because the maps app itself falls short in other areas. I'm not saying it's the second coming, but to say it's totally without worth is stretching it imo.

Though if I couldn't see my hometown in 3D like that, and just some random city i've never lived in, I guess I would feel it pretty useless as well. The more they expand upon it the better, obviously.

Mindwipe

This podcast app is horrid. I don't know what compelled Apple to separate podcasts from the rest of the music app. It organizes the podcasts out of order and doesn't continually play once the previous podcast ends. Fuck, this app is awful.

Well, at least they've made it where if you delete the Podcast app the podcast tab appears in the music app again.

ALL podcasts needed was to be left where they were, and have the subscription list synced from iTunes to the device so the iTunes app could download all the newest episodes with one click direct to the device, and ideally overnight in the background using the same process that is used for iCloud backups.

But no. They had to ruin it by releasing a terrible app that was completely ill-concieved.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Jasmine is just as crappy as Alien Blue. I'd say I'm shocked people like this garbage but I can't.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning

Flyover is about as awesome it was the first time you downloaded Google Earth to your device. 3D buildings! Maps! Awesome!

I uninstalled it a few days later. There's no compelling reason yet for that feature, yet they prioritized that tech over the quality of the POI data they have for their maps. I still wish they would've considered using OSM so that it'd rise up to be a very powerful opensource competitor to Google Maps. i don't know about OSM's quality outside the major cities, though.

Sentry said:
I love how back when we had a reel of the company Apple acquired, showing how this tech works, everyone was aback by it and amazed, and now it's just complete trash. Flyover's ingenuity shouldn't be poo-pooed just because the maps app itself falls short in other areas. I'm not saying it's the second coming, but to say it's totally without worth is stretching it imo.

Though if I couldn't see my hometown in 3D like that, and just some random city i've never lived in, I guess I would feel it pretty useless as well. The more they expand upon it the better, obviously.
It's one thing to be amazed by a tech demo, another to actually have the demo in your hands and finding utility or worth in it. So yes, how they're able to reconstitute 3D data out of 2D imagery is amazing, but is it really the massive improvement over what's already available via Google Maps as they claimed? In an area with dense, tall buildings like NYC the feature is practically worthless for most.

hirokazu

I find it both fun and useful for visualising locations. Not as useful as Streetview, but it's a feature I'd rather have than not.

But to each their own I guess. I just don't see how it can be branded useless and it's quirks mocked just because people personally doesn't find any value in it.

numble

Flyover is about as awesome it was the first time you downloaded Google Earth to your device. 3D buildings! Maps! Awesome!

I uninstalled it a few days later. There's no compelling reason yet for that feature, yet they prioritized that tech over the quality of the POI data they have for their maps. I still wish they would've considered using OSM so that it'd rise up to be a very powerful opensource competitor to Google Maps. i don't know about OSM's quality outside the major cities, though.
OSM is used though:
http://gspa21.ls.apple.com/html/attribution.html

Fly over is cool to look at but isn't practical in the slightest, who is going to actually use it for some practical reason?

I checked it out for NYC, cool, will I ever use it for navigation? No

hirokazu

It's one thing to be amazed by a tech demo, another to actually have the demo in your hands and finding utility or worth in it. So yes, how they're able to reconstitute 3D data out of 2D imagery is amazing, but is it really the massive improvement over what's already available via Google Maps as they claimed? In an area with dense, tall buildings like NYC the feature is practically worthless for most.
I beg to differ. Google Earth was considerably less amazing initially because only the terrain was modelled, not the buildings. I have tried it briefly with their new 3D buildings but I consistently find the gestures for the app awkward. Apple's Maps gestures feel a lot more natural to me.

In terms of prioritising Flyover above other Maps features, I don't think the Flyover team is any good at the other cartography stuff like putting down POI. This would only make sense if Apple never bought the company in the first place.

Anyway, I'll just say I'm still amazed by Flyover whenever I use it. I've even used it to check out potential property purchases in Sydney and it's a good deal better than satellite imagery and complementary to Streetview for that. Sorry that you dislike it, but I've found it to be useful myself.

Photo%2023-09-12%208%2020%2035%20PM.jpg

Top Bottom