• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Noema

Any way to update from a 7.0 beta to full version without a full restore? Don't have wifi right now and don't want to mess with downloading things manually after update (can't use cloud back up without wifi.)

Shift-click Update and pick the .ipsw file.

Be warned that this is not warranted to work, since many people (including myself) had the process error out which set my phone to DFU mode forcing me to do a full restore.

If it works you won't have to restore; worse case scenario is a full restore via either iTunes backup or iCloud.

Talon

I don't lose anything really by not upgrading to this pastel piece of shit on my ipad do I?
Read the OT, you salty son of a gun. You gain way more than you lose - between the multitasking features and the improved notification/control centers.

Also, the updated iOS 7 apps are going to look odd as fuck on iOS 6.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
i have the white ipod touch with the blue back, does this not get IOS7? i bought it this year. but itunes says 6.1.3 is newest?

I'll download it tonight on my phone at least when I'm home from work. I'm a bit hesitant to update my iPad 3 with it, though... I remember reading that the GM version was making iPad 3's run like shit, so I'd rather wait to get some feedback on that front.

That said, there's really only one thing I want from iOS7... the ability to pull up the onscreen keyboard when the bluetooth keyboard is connected. I can do this by hitting the ESC key on the BT keyboard currently, but that does me no good when I'm in another room or something or otherwise just don't feel like using it. Instead you have to turn BT off. It's freakin' stupid and I hope they fixed that finally.

I hate the unicorn barf color palette they when with, but I imagine it'll be less apparent with all the other apps on the phone. I suppose I'll get used to it, of course.

Enco

Would you say that's the extent of the performance issues-anything else?
That's all I've noticed.

Oh and double clicking the home button to get to multi tasking is kinda slow but I think that's just animation speed.

The worst thing is closing/opening apps. Kinda pisses me off to be honest. It's noticeably less smooth than iOS 6.

eznark

Banned
Read the OT, you salty son of a gun. You gain way more than you lose - between the multitasking features and the improved notification/control centers.

Also, the updated iOS 7 apps are going to look odd as fuck on iOS 6.

I already have some apps that say they are updated for iOS 7. I haven't noticed much difference at all.

Subscribing

iOS 7 is fantastic for iPhone, even though the iPad version of it sucks: poor tablet optimization and lags when iOS 6 never did, using iPad 4

subrock

Thought someone else would have asked this by now but they haven't: will devices on GM get the OTA update? If I'm on GM am I back on the release channel?

Mairu

I have a jailbroken iPhone 5

I don't really care about the jb tweaks at the moment but if I can avoid having to start fresh and just upgrade I think I'd rather do that - what's the best way to update? Backup to iCloud & then restore from iCloud after updating to iOS 7?

Vyer

I've had the GM since it came out, and the beta before that. Big steps in the right direction for Apple with IOS7.

Agreed. A few complaints, but I've been very happy with the update thus far.

Thought someone else would have asked this by now but they haven't: will devices on GM get the OTA update? If I'm on GM am I back on the release channel?

Supposedly the GM is the same as the release so an update alert won't pop up. If you are concerned I suppose you could plug into iTunes and do a restore.

impirius

This has to be a record for number of people attempting to update an operating system at once. Maybe not a record for the number of people successfully updating an operating system, but still...

Forever Preparing....

The problem is you don't know if it's stuck now or just going really really really slow.

On the iPad I got kicked off, now I can't get it restarted.

Erasus

One can see why Apple isn't prepared for this; it's not like they're a giant company who has never done anything like this before.

Its like MMO launches/big patches for online games. The servers always choke. And if they buy more they will only use that capacity for a day or 2 max, then all those servers are wasted.

dream

Yay for an iOS 7ified version of Mailbox, but I can't believe they didn't implement the back gesture.

Noema

Stupid question maybe, but it says the update requires 3.1 GB. Will this actually take 3.1 GB of my 16 GB? That would suck..

No, it needs more space because it needs to download the IPSW package, and then install that on the phone. It'll delete the unneeded bits after it's done.

Should be about 1.2GB when everything is said and done.

Midas

Shift-click Update and pick the .ipsw file.

Be warned that this is not warranted to work, since many people (including myself) had the process error out which set my phone to DFU mode forcing me to do a full restore.

If it works you won't have to restore; worse case scenario is a full restore via either iTunes backup or iCloud.

Ah, I'd better wait until I have wifi then to be sure that I can use my phone. Thanks though!

blahness

Took a good 30 mins (started dl at 1:05 EST) for my 5 to download and get past the preparing stage. It is now slowly installing the update.

I was going to say how odd it is that everyone is having server issues, and that it only took a few minutes to download… then it hangs 90% of the way at "Preparing Update…" :(

Omikaru

iPhone 4S here. My download has gone fine so far. Now I'm at "Preparing Update". Had one download failure on the first 5 minutes, but has been fine since.

Noema

How is performance on an iPhone4? (not S)

Reposting from the previous page:

Slower than iOS 6 but not much. Very usable in my experience (I've been using iOS7 for about a month now) and IMO the new features (specially the improved Safari, which is faster than iOS 6 and Control Center) make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Depends on how much it bothers you if your phone isn't super snappy. But then again, the 4 has never been super snappy, even when it was new. It had to pay the price of being the first Retina device.

SJRB

Gold Member
Can't update my 5 through iTunes, seems totally trainwrecked.

I'll give it another shot tomorrow.

Wonko_C

CTRL or ALT + F to make the menu bar come up, go to help, click "Check Software Update" - you probably need to update your iTunes first.

Already updated earlier:

fRVwdxt.jpg

VOw2Mfd.jpg

OTA finds the update, though, I'll try it later when the servers aren't too overloaded. I'll google search to see if someone posted the ipsw file on mega or something.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So i upgraded a week ago on my 4s but I haven't on my ipad 3 due to the early comments about performance problems. Should I still hold off or did someone find settings to fix this?

Top Bottom