• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

oatmeal

Banned
Download took about 7 mins in Nevada...waiting for it to finish Preppnig update.

Almost done...almost IN THE FUTURE>

sky

On a 4s so I'm scared to update.

Need confirmation on roll-back potential (there was some conflicting thoughts on it in the other thread)....

Even though I am loving iOS7, Arstechnica's review highlighted my biggest problem with it:

Nothing does as poorly as the iPhone 5, though. It’s not even close. The iOS 7 numbers were so bad that I assumed I made some kind of mistake, so I completely re-flashed the phone and ran our test again with the same result, nearly down to the minute (I then did the same with iOS 6 to confirm). Our Verizon iPhone 5 running iOS 7 burns through its battery more than three hours faster than the exact same phone performing the exact same test with the exact same settings under iOS 6. Other devices lose little enough that most people probably won’t notice the problem, but it’s puzzling that Apple’s most recent flagship is so negatively impacted. We hope it doesn’t bode poorly for the largely identical iPhone 5C.

Robbler

Banned
While waiting for my iPhone and iPad to update I downloaded iTunes 11, and am playing with iTunes Radio.

R.I.P. Pandora

mcfrank

Even though I am loving iOS7, Arstechnica's review highlighted my biggest problem with it:

This is strange. I have been running ios7 on my iPhone 5 since the GM came out and have no battery changes. It still is around 50 -60 % when I get home from work.

Guri

Why are people still using iTunes for this? It's so much easier to just do the over the air update.

I only needed to update iTunes to use it in the future. I have iOS 7 GM since last week, but iTunes 11.1 wasn't available yet for Windows.

Robbler

Banned
Verifying done. Phone is rebooting!

Excited-Star-Trek-Fan-Kenan-Thompson.gif

Edit: OOH New minimalist update bar!

This is strange. I have been running ios7 on my iPhone 5 since the GM came out and have no battery changes. It still is around 50 -60 % when I get home from work.

I am getting significantly worse battery life and it seems ARS has replicated these results as well.

Well, this is garish looking.

Is there a way to keep the bottom task bar from disappearing in Safari? It's obnoxious that it vanishes unless you're scrolling.

Vyer

I noticed a hit on my 5, but not a major one. Granted I've been messing with the phone more than normal and haven't gone through and set up things/optimized the way I want, but it's there.

Dishwalla

Banned
Can't even connect to the App Store on my iPod Touch 5G, never mind connect to the Software Update. MacBook won't download iTunes 11.1 either.

In Virginia.

Sarye

Are you on Verizon as well? I am on ATT so maybe it is an issue with the CDMA phone?
I am on verizon and have no issues with battery life (using the GM) From what I've read, the battery drain could be from a stray app. I installed fresh (and then restored settings from backup) if that helps at all.

Also keep in mind you're using the phone a lot more since you're playing around with it more.

LCfiner

Been running ios7 since the first beta. The GM has solved pretty much all the weird, seemingly random battery issues I had with earlier betas.

I generally like the look of the OS a lot. very light and lacking in distracting chrome. I have nitpicking issues with some apps or icons (e.g.: safai icon or Notes paper texture and yellow highlights) but, overall, I like it a lot.

And now that apps are getting iOS updates throughout the day, the whole thing feels a lot more cohesive. instacast, twitteriffic, reeder, ebay. They all look so clean. plus we now get scheduled background refreshes which should help for twitter.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
It's always funny and interesting seeing flocks of people updating when I've been in the beta and discussing it with fellow GAFers for what seems like ages.

dc89

iOS7 does some pretty scary location based stuff! For example:

For the past 6 weeks on a Wednesday morning I've been going to the hospital for treatment on my little finger (ligaments and tendon are bust real bad).

I went yesterday instead of this morning. But this morning when I swiped down into notification centre it basically said if I was to set off now in current driving conditions my journey would take 17 minutes. I couldn't think where it was telling me to go :lol I tapped it and was pretty amazed to see it planned a route to the hospital.

So my phoneh has learned that on a Wednesday morning I usually go to the hospital.

Robbler

Banned

For the past 6 weeks on a Wednesday morning I've been going to the hospital for treatment on my little finger (ligaments and tendon are bust real bad).

I went yesterday instead of this morning. But this morning when I swiped down into notification centre it basically said if I was to set off now in current driving conditions my journey would take 17 minutes. I couldn't think where it was telling me to go :lol I tapped it and was pretty amazed to see it planned a route to the hospital.

So my phoneh has learned that on a Wednesday morning I usually go to the hospital.

HAL9000.svg

For those of you having trouble getting the update to start unplug your phone from your cpu/wall. Worked for me, maybe it will for you.

Noema

Look dc89, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Chuckl3s

• First Law: A robot must never harm a human being or, through inaction, allow any harm to come to a human.
  • Second Law: A robot must obey the orders given to them by human beings, except where such orders violate the First Law.
  • Third Law: A robot must protect its own existence unless this violates the First or Second Laws.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
woah, the interface is TOO BRIGHT, but it feels super responsive. Having fun looking at all the new features.

Ovid

Pretty cool.

Definitely not trying to make this Android vs iOS but Google Now has been doing this for some time now. Took me a second to realize what had happened the first time I saw it.

As far as iOS 7 goes, feels GREAT on the ipad, but feels really cramped on the phone.

installed and running fine on my Ipad 4

first annoyance: the apple remote app is locked into portrait mode, which annoys my as I use a case/stand which doesn't really work with portrait-only app. Cant think why that change was made. Other apps are working in landscape no problem.

Top Bottom