• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

mrkgoo

Updated my iPad 3 to 7.0.2, and now there's a thin line right at the status bar, and there's a badge notification on Settings. What the hell.
The badger notification is probably residual from wanting the update. What happens if you open up settings and check your version? It might do a check and then clear it hopefully.

Quick

Banned
The badger notification is probably residual from wanting the update. What happens if you open up settings and check your version? It might do a check and then clear it hopefully.

The badge is still there. I checked everything in Settings.

I also did a hard reset to see if the badge and the thin line would disappear, but it didn't work.

God, the calender sucks so bad now. I miss list view a lot. Impossible to see upcoming events unless I go through all the dates. So annoying
Click the search icon in the app.

Hopefully Apple eventually lets us have that view upon booting the app, because it's the closest thing to list view we have right now.

EDIT: LOL, I said click.

Quick

Banned
So, that's what the top of my iPad looks like right now, after the 7.0.2 update.

iXVtOIe96qIyj.jpg

Askani

Is anyone having problems with Google Image Search? It's only populating the first 20 results. I get tons of grey boxes for other images and when I touch them I see the image, but when I hit the close button it goes back to a grey box. It's the same in Chrome and Safari.

Very weird.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Is anyone having problems with Google Image Search? It's only populating the first 20 results. I get tons of grey boxes for other images and when I touch them I see the image, but when I hit the close button it goes back to a grey box. It's the same in Chrome and Safari.

Very weird.
I'm having issues with Google Images on desktop Chrome too, it won't load past about 50 images - if i click on an image it doesn't enlarge/expand and no info or thumbnails come up.

mrkgoo

This: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83796981&postcount=2784

The app all of a sudden works now. Can't complain.

Oh yeah, that. Normally I would say that kind of error is an AppleID authentication issue. Installing updates probably rejiggers it a bit. Can also try logging out of the store if it happens again. *shrugs*

The badge is still there. I checked everything in Settings.

I also did a hard reset to see if the badge and the thin line would disappear, but it didn't work.

So, that's what the top of my iPad looks like right now, after the 7.0.2 update.

iXVtOIe96qIyj.jpg

I remember notification badges being an issue for iMessage for the longest time, especially on a Mac, though it also happened on my iPad. Killing the Dock would fix it, but no recourse on iPad. Eventually it sorted itself out, so it seemed like a server thing, perhaps with notification centre. TOo bad Settings isn't a toggle in there.

At the moment, I get badges remaining in AppStore regardign updates I've already installed. They go away if I check the store though. DId you go to software update under Settings -> General?

fireside

One of my fav features in ios 7

Swipe right from edge of left screen to go back

I never really understood why this wasn't in previous versions. I like how the drop shadow gets smaller as you move further right until it eventually disappears (even though if you think about it, this doesn't really make any sense).

mrkgoo

I never really understood why this wasn't in previous versions. I like how the drop shadow gets smaller as you move further right until it eventually disappears (even though if you think about it, this doesn't really make any sense).

Why doesn't that make sense? It's like you are peeling off the top layer, and the layer beneath it raises back up. The forward motion is reverse, like you are bringing in another layer above it as it recedes back.

I mean, sure it's nothing, but it's not totally without reason.

fireside

Why doesn't that make sense? It's like you are peeling off the top layer, and the layer beneath it raises back up. The forward motion is reverse, like you are bringing in another layer above it as it recedes back.

I mean, sure it's nothing, but it's not totally without reason.

I get what they're going for, I just don't think it makes much sense.

For example, in Safari on Mountain Lion, when you swipe your mouse/trackpad to go back or forward on a page, the drop shadow stays the same height throughout the animation. This makes more sense to me.

mrkgoo

I get what they're going for, I just don't think it makes much sense.
Yeah well.

Do you think it would make more sense if you were drilling DOWN instead of layer up? Like maybe new sheets came in under the old one? Or just beside?

Ah, stealth edit. I see.

So more like layer a level in a linear fashio as opposed to sort of staying in one level and have the layers recede. I get what you mean.

Eh it's such a minor detail I do t think I care either way.

fireside

Yeah well.

Do you think it would make more sense if you were drilling DOWN instead of layer up? Like maybe new sheets came in under the old one? Or just beside?

Ah, stealth edit. I see.

So more like layer a level in a linear fashio as opposed to sort of staying in one level and have the layers recede. I get what you mean.

Eh it's such a minor detail I do t think I care either way.

I don't really care either. Just something I noticed while sitting on the bus.

ultron87

Updated to 7, wish I hadn't. It made my custom wallpapers look awful and the performance on trying to rescale them is terrible. iPad 3.

Ah, turning the parallax scrolling fixed everything.

toohectic

Anyone else experiencing a bug where the addresses in your contacts are listed twice? Even newly added addresses get duplicated. I'm assuming this is a bug and not some strange setting I have enabled. (7.0 on a 4S)

Edit: talking postal mailing addresses, not email addresses.

Fair enough.

I think a lot of it is getting used to change though.

Like moving the other way, you could argue "screen too big, too many buttons!" Until you get used to it.
tbh, Xperia Z body was too big for my hand; but there's Galaxy S4 which is the same size, but with perfect ergonomics even for my hands.

I presume iOS doesn't have widgets? Man, this is ghetto experience :(

Can I somehow get to have an additional clock for a different city showing somewhere on the screen, without having to go to the clock?

Unless you jailbreak everything is compartmentalized on iOS
thx; is it easy to jailbreak? How high is the risk of bricking the device? Running 7.00 on 5c.

one more question; I just noticed that the clock button is actually showing clock; can't I somehow add another button? Or another app that has animated clock as its button?

thx; is it easy to jailbreak? How high is the risk of bricking the device? Running 7.00 on 5c.

There's no jailbreak for iOS 7 currently. Jailbreaking tends to be pretty straightforward and bricking the device seems to be very minimal. If anything goes wrong a simple restore to the default OS using iTunes is all that is required.

I think you'll be waiting a very long time for a jailbreak for iOS 7, the only one available is for the now extremely dated iPhone 4.

There's no jailbreak for iOS 7 currently. Jailbreaking tends to be pretty straightforward and bricking the device seems to be very minimal. If anything goes wrong a simple restore to the default OS using iTunes is all that is required.

I think you'll be waiting a very long time for a jailbreak for iOS 7, the only one available is for the now extremely dated iPhone 4.
I see, thanks.

Another question; what is the autobrightness supposed to do? It seems it doesn't do anything when I turn it on. Isn't it supposed to for example reduce the brightness in dark?

Dany

Banned
The instacast/pandora/facebook/twitter icon look so much better than the stock icons, they pop more, instead of the boring flat icons. The gradient on the music App is too much in comparison.

one more question; I just noticed that the clock button is actually showing clock; can't I somehow add another button? Or another app that has animated clock as its button?

I believe the clock is the only app that displays anything on the home screen. So no, unfortunately, you can't add additional clocks with updating displays onto the homescreen. As I said everything is very compartmentalized, if you need information you'll have to go into the app to get it, that's just how iOS is.

If this will change in the future is still up in the air. iOS 7 was mainly a big visual overhaul for the OS and iOS 6 was mainly focused on removing Apples reliance on Google for the Maps app, so I think they've been getting distracted by trite issues and haven't had a chance to work on core functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if things start opening up a bit more in iOS 8 now that they've finally established their new paradigm, but that's just my opinion.

I see, thanks.

Another question; what is the autobrightness supposed to do? It seems it doesn't do anything when I turn it on. Isn't it supposed to for example reduce the brightness in dark?

I think you set the minimum brightness in the control center (or settings app) and it'll simply bring the brightness up if needed.

mrkgoo

tbh, Xperia Z body was too big for my hand; but there's Galaxy S4 which is the same size, but with perfect ergonomics even for my hands.

I presume iOS doesn't have widgets? Man, this is ghetto experience :(

Can I somehow get to have an additional clock for a different city showing somewhere on the screen, without having to go to the clock?

Nope. No widgets!

I think you set the minimum brightness in the control center (or settings app) and it'll simply bring the brightness up if needed.
Thanks.

I tried setting the minimum brightness, and it exactly works that way; I actually like how it adapts gradually.

I believe the clock is the only app that displays anything on the home screen. So no, unfortunately, you can't add additional clocks with updating displays onto the homescreen. As I said everything is very compartmentalized, if you need information you'll have to go into the app to get it, that's just how iOS is.

If this will change in the future is still up in the air. iOS 7 was mainly a big visual overhaul for the OS and iOS 6 was mainly focused on removing Apples reliance on Google for the Maps app, so I think they've been getting distracted by trite issues and haven't had a chance to work on core functionality. I wouldn't be surprised if things start opening up a bit more in iOS 8 now that they've finally established their new paradigm, but that's just my opinion.
Let's hope; I remember at one point android was ghetto experience; both software and also the hardwares that ran it; but it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

However, iOS still seems to be the more coherent experience.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Since we're nitpicking icon design, I dont like the little lip Google has put on the bottom of all their icons. They are flat design... On skeumophic tiles :/

Skeumorphism bad!!! /2013 design mob

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
Just updated on my iPad 2. Such a massive improvement over ios6 in so many ways. I actually want to use reminders and the calendar now!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
While we're nitpicking icons can we diss the the little nipple on the rear of the FaceTime camera icon?

Quick

Banned
Since we're nitpicking icon design, I dont like the little lip Google has put on the bottom of all their icons. They are flat design... On skeumophic tiles :/

Skeumorphism bad!!! /2013 design mob

Yeah, not a fan of it either.

And Google needs to update their keyboard to iOS 7. They already have the design.

Probably a stupid question but is there a way to switch back to an older version? The new internet browser is far worse to me which I use more than anything else by far. Have an iPhone 4 btw.

ramyeon

Probably a stupid question but is there a way to switch back to an older version? The new internet browser is far worse to me which I use more than anything else by far. Have an iPhone 4 btw.
Nope. And I can't share your complaint either, from my experience the new Safari is superior to the old one in every way.

baphomet

Got a question. Im trying to update my girlfriend's 5, but theres over 6GB of soace taken up in "other". What the fuck is the deal? Theres only 3 apps on it, not a lot of anything else. Im so fucking pissed at this goddamn phone right now. Weve reset it, attempted to back it up and restore, deleted all the messges, and get nothing. The fuck is using up over half the phone's memory for no reason?

Noema

What exactly do you find is worse about it?

It has a faster JavaScript rendering engine.

It has a 25 tab limit as opposed to the old limit of 8

It has a larger reading area.

It's much much better at keeping tabs loaded in memory when switching back and forth instead of dumping them and reloading. In iOS 6 I could barely keep more than 1 page open without having to reload everything.

It has gestures for navigating back and forward.

The biggest complain I've heard about the new Safari is that the bottom bar dissapears when scrolling down. Just tap anywhere at the bottom to bring it back up.

You couldn't pay me to go to the old Safari.

Noema

Got a question. Im trying to update my girlfriend's 5, but theres over 6GB of soace taken up in "other". What the fuck is the deal? Theres only 3 apps on it, not a lot of anything else. Im so fucking pissed at this goddamn phone right now. Weve reset it, attempted to back it up and restore, deleted all the messges, and get nothing. The fuck is using up over half the phone's memory for no reason?

I've had success with this in the past.

Question for mobile GAF users: Is holding down on the arrow to open threads in tabs to their newest page harder for anyone else this time around? It used to work perfectly, but for whatever reason now it often doesn't react, or the first page opens in the existing tab. I feel like I'm missing the hitbox or something.

iPhone 4S by the way.

ramyeon

Question for mobile GAF users: Is holding down on the arrow to open threads in tabs to their newest page harder for anyone else this time around? It used to work perfectly, but for whatever reason now it often doesn't react, or opens in the existing page. I feel like I'm missing the hitbox or something.

iPhone 4S by the way.
Doesn't work for me. Well, it does after holding it and letting it go, but although the pop up to open in a new window comes up it already starts loading the page in the current window at the same time.

baphomet

Nope, it cleaned off 40MB. I want to call Apple so fucking bad and tear into someone's ass right now. On a 16GB phone i have 7GB to use for everything. The rest of it is being used by nothing, but the phone wont let me access it or even tell what it is.

Top Bottom