• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Sometimes I wonder what's "wrong" with my iPad 3, as in I don't get these performance issues that many are experiencing. It stutters ever so often sure, but other than that iOS 7 runs really smoothly on it (and reading GAF there are others in my situation as well). I wonder why there's such a difference between seemingly some iPad 3 models and others.

You aren't the only one. My iPad 3 is basically running as smooth on iOS7 as it was on iOS 6. I feel for those who have ended up with huge performance hits though.

Same here, iPad 3 and zero complaints.

I'll add myself to the bunch - no huge issues running 7 on my iPad 3.

Though, I will say, the iPad 3 was never particularly fast to begin with.

iPad 3 has no complaints for me on ios 7. Other than maybe hanging on the wallpaper for like 10 seconds, everything else is just fine.

So what will one do if there's no wifi connection? Then no internet.

It would be great if there were a Cellular on/off in the Control Center for 3G/4G. Dumb move not to have it.

Yeah, it bothers me when i'm outside.

The quickest way is to leave the setting menu with the 3G toggle open in the multitasking, but still way slower than android.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iPad 3 has no complaints for me on ios 7. Other than maybe hanging on the wallpaper for like 10 seconds, everything else is just fine.

That I can attest to as well by the way, that's the only area where it just lags for a few seconds when applying a wallpaper from the Wallpaper & Brightness section.

Symphonia

Banned
Apple really do need to have a quick toggle for 3G/4G. Hell, remove the Bluetooth button because, lets be honest, nobody really uses Bluetooth.

One of my fav features in ios 7

WNKOsKR.jpg

Swipe right from edge of left screen to go back

That I can attest to as well by the way, that's the only area where it just lags for a few seconds when applying a wallpaper from the Wallpaper & Brightness section.

Yeah. After I decided on the wallpaper to use (ended up sticking with the frozen lake still), it hung for like 10 seconds or so before switching. Once done, everything was as smooth as ever. Even rotation lock, which I have set to the switch, seems faster & more responsive than in ios 6 which would occasionally fail to rotate.

Apple really do need to have a quick toggle for 3G/4G. Hell, remove the Bluetooth button because, lets be honest, nobody really uses Bluetooth.

lol, i thought the same the first time i opened the control center.

Now i'm able to quickly access the calculator and the flashlight but no 3G/4G, seems like Apple is trolling me.

I turn on and off Bluetooth all then time and never turn off data. To be honest, I don't see Apple ever adding that toggle. It goes against what they want the phone to be.

You realize that you're actually not saving any more battery life using 3G over 4G, right?

?

The point is been able to turn on/off mobile networks without having to open the settings tab.

I turn off 3G when i'm home and turn off wi-fi when i'm outside.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Question that may not necessarily be about iOS7, but is annoying me. Is there a way to stop music from auto-playing as soon as I plug my phone into the USB port in my car? Every morning I plug it in and music just starts playing. Also it will sometimes auto-play right in the middle of apps, like when I'm listening to ESPN radio on one of the radio apps my music will just start playing out of nowhere every minute or so. Very annoying.

Any help with this?

?

Why? Assuming you have WiFi at home, it doesn't use the 3G radio.

Similarly, why turn off WiFi when you're outside? I simply turn off the "ask to join" option, so it's not continuously scanning for WiFi networks, and manually search + join when I want to connect (which is almost never.)

...why? This does absolutely nothing for you.

I thought that leaving 3G always on could drain the battery (even when connected to my wi-fi connection) and leaving wi-fi on outside led the iphone to always scanning for wi-fi.

So the best way is to leave mobile network always on, turn off wi-fi when i'm outside and turn it on when i'm at home?

Talon

I thought that leaving 3G always on could drain the battery (even when wi-fi on) and leaving wi-fi on when i'm outside led the iphone to always scanning for wi-fi.

So the best way is to leave mobile network always on, turn off wi-fi when i'm outside and turn on it when i'm at home?
This is like the people that take their laptop batteries out when they're plugged in.

Your phone is smart enough to not use LTE when you're on Wi-Fi. If something that needs to be pushed comes thorugh, it'll swap on the WiFi briefly for it.

Your phone also doesn't bother looking for new wireless networks unless you have the screen on, anyways. If you have the "Ask to join new networks" toggle turned off, it won't even look for one unless it happens to be a network you know. Looking for a wireless networks takes such a hilariously negligible amount of power as it goes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

In what situations would you want to go out of your way to use 3G over 4G?

This is like the people that take their laptop batteries out when they're plugged in.

Your phone is smart enough to not use LTE when you're on Wi-Fi. If something that needs to be pushed comes thorugh, it'll swap on the WiFi briefly for it.

Your phone also doesn't bother looking for new wireless networks if you have the "Ask to join new networks" toggle off.

Thanks

With the "ask to join new networks" toggle off, will it still reconnect to my home wi-fi automatically?

Talon

Thanks

With the "ask to join new networks" toggle off it will still reconnect to my home wi-fi automatically?
No, you'll need to add it manually every time.

OF COURSE IT WILL CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY. Have you used any wireless device in the last 7 years?

Erebus

Yes to both,

iO0OufRML23wB.jpg

(love my reception in this room I'm in at the moment)

The toggles for FB and Twitter don't appear on my phone as well. Both are updated. :-/

On an unrelated note, what does the "popular near me" toggle do under the system location services (that's inside the Privacy section of the Settings)?

No, you'll need to add it manually every time.

OF COURSE IT WILL CONNECT AUTOMATICALLY. Have you used any wireless device in the last 7 years?

How the phone could know that it's near to my wi-fi if it's not scanning for wi-fi at all?
Maybe it scans only for MY wi-fi network but it still scans and it will consume battery...anyway, if you say it's neglegible it doesn't matter.

The toggle could still be useful when i'm outside, cause usually i use the mobile network only a few times and it would be handy to leave that off most of the time and quickly turning on only when i need it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
?

The point is been able to turn on/off mobile networks without having to open the settings tab.

3G is automatically ignored by the phone while it's connected to a WiFi network so what you're doing is something the phone does itself as well (the Use Cellular Data switch remains on but it is not in use by the phone while on WiFi).

what

Bump actually uses a convoluted method of transmitting data over the internet.
that'sthejoke.jpg

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
Why, when I pull down the notification center, does it not show my all-day event scheduled for today, and only show my hourly events? I almost missed someone's birthday today, what the hell.

Whoa, Notification Center just told me how long it would take me to get to my home. I'm just about to head out of the office. It's giving me a different amount of time then Google Now when I launch the app, so it must be iOS purely. Additionally, Google Now just says "11 minutes to home" whereas in NC it lists the time duration followed by my address. I'm definitely not a fan of that since it's even stating that tidbit from NC in the lock screen.

Edit: Yeah, it's not Google Now since clicking the notice launches Maps.

mrkgoo

Why? Assuming you have WiFi at home, it doesn't use the 3G radio.

Similarly, why turn off WiFi when you're outside? I simply turn off the "ask to join" option, so it's not continuously scanning for WiFi networks, and manually search + join when I want to connect (which is almost never.)

Technically speaking, for the latter, it has to be periodically scanning to check if you're at wifi connections you've remembered.

Apple should implement smart systems like if you're already using frequent locations thus paging your gps anyway, to know f you're ate your frequent wifi and not bother checking the wifi.

^you're right

really, though, WiFi (especially when it's only scanning for networks) is not enough of a battery hog that anyone needs to worry about these things.

stop worrying and love your iPhones.

mrkgoo

^you're right

really, though, WiFi (especially when it's only scanning for networks) is not enough of a battery hog that anyone needs to worry about these things.

stop worrying and love your iPhones.

I agree!
Avoiding micromanagement is one of the supposed bonuses of going with Apple, so you paid for it, may as well enjoy it!

I can only assume people satisfied with iOS 7 on the iPad 3 have lower standards than I do.

The horror stories have been enough to hold me back from upgrading the ole' iPad 3. I will probably pick up one of the new models or a mini (if they ship with retina) anyway.

The graphics chip in the iPad 3 is just barely adequate.

Noema

I'm too afraid of leaving 3G on all the time when I'm on a monthly plan of 1GB.

One of the cool things about iOS 7 is that it now gives you a detailed report of how much data each app has been using, and you can even restrict individual apps from accessing mobile data.

And speaking of Apps, it's amazing how certain apps have already received a makeover update to make them fit better in iOS 7 AND a bug-fixes update, whereas many other apps haven't even bothered to fix whatever iOS 7 broke, let alone releasing a redesigned app.

I'm looking at you Whatsapp.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm at work right now and it's telling me it would take about 7 minutes to drive home. So cool. If only it could learn my random work schedule and tell me the same thing when I'm home.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Why, when I pull down the notification center, does it not show my all-day event scheduled for today, and only show my hourly events? I almost missed someone's birthday today, what the hell.
The NC Calendar widget seemingly does not show All-day events added in the Calendar app. (!) However, birthday events synced to the Calendar from say Facebook or another external source like Gmail do show up for me..
Did you label it as an all-day event?

Add birthdays to your Contacts and they will show up in the NC as "John Doe's birthday is today."

Symphonia

Banned
In what situations would you want to go out of your way to use 3G over 4G?
I'm not saying I'd choose 3G over 4G. I can't even get 4G, anyway. My point is that Apple should add the mobile data buttons to the Control Centre, or at least give users the ability to choose whats featured on the CC.

MicH

God, the calender sucks so bad now. I miss list view a lot. Impossible to see upcoming events unless I go through all the dates. So annoying

Quick

Banned
Updated my iPad 3 to 7.0.2, and now there's a thin line right at the status bar, and there's a badge notification on Settings. What the hell.

Top Bottom