• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

cube444

Kind of confused guys. Does the 5S actually run as a 64 bit OS or is the chip a 64 bit one? I've read where you need at least 4GB of RAM of take advantage of a 64 bit chip and we know the 5S only has 1 GB of RAM. A few buddies were arguing at the bar tonight saying 5S is still a 32 bit OS while another was losing it and saying it was a 64 bit OS.

Can any hardcore guys break this down?

Thanks.

RDreamer

Speaking of Airdrop, it's kind of dumb it doesn't work between Macbooks and iPhones. The first and only time I wanted to use that feature it was for that... Oh well, guess Google Drive is good enough for that sort of thing.

mrkgoo

Yup. It requires some low-power Bluetooth protocol to see nearby devices, then initiate an ad-hoc WiFi connection. Kinda complicated.

It also requires a particular kind of of wifi too, I believe. It's why older MacBooks can't use airdrop for OS X, which I assume is similar tech.

Kind of confused guys. Does the 5S actually run as a 64 bit OS or is the chip a 64 bit one? I've read where you need at least 4GB of RAM of take advantage of a 64 bit chip and we know the 5S only has 1 GB of RAM. A few buddies were arguing at the bar tonight saying 5S is still a 32 bit OS while another was losing it and saying it was a 64 bit OS.

Thanks.

I'm not hard core, but I assume it's all 64-bit OS and hardware. You don't HAVE to have 4GB ram to run 64-bit, but it's one of the most obvious reasons why you would want 64-bit - because 32-bit has a max RAM limit.

mrkgoo

In other news, anecdotally and just an estimate, but I think my battery life has seen an improvement since the drastic reduction after initial install as well.

It could be many things.

App updates, maybe some bugs squashed in 7.0.2.

But also it could be that I'm just using my phone now instead of playing with it. On top of that, it's possible that "frequent locations" or "weather" aren't paging as often now that the OS has established a better frequency to do so.

Who knows.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

Thanks.

Just like OS X was during its transition, iOS on a 5S is 64 bit, many of the main apps are 64 bit, but the OS has no issue running 32 bit binaries seamlessly.

mrkgoo

My Recently Added playlist in the Music app isn't updating. Anybody experiencing the same issue?

My one in my itunes is empty. The only thing I've added are music videos, so not sure if they will fall under 'music', which is what it's set to.

edit: SO I quickly downloaded a new song from iTunes - it appears in my recently Added list in iTunes, but NOT on my iPhone! Incidentally, all the music videos I recently added ARE in the iPhone "Recently Added" playlist.

SuperPac

So 7.0.2 isn't showing on my phone...any one know why? Beta issue?

Betas don't get OTA updates after GM.

If you're still on a beta of 7 you should update to the GM as soon as you can. When beta builds expire they take your phone down with it (and you'll have to do a restore to use your phone again).

8byte

Banned
Betas don't get OTA updates after GM.

If you're still on a beta of 7 you should update to the GM as soon as you can. When beta builds expire they take your phone down with it (and you'll have to do a restore to use your phone again).

Thanks! Doing that now :)

Ashhong

Hey guys is there any way to restore only pictures from my icloud backup? I am updating from a jailbroken iPhone and want to start fresh but not lose my pictures.

Also, if I install a program, such as puzzles and dragons, that has Ben backed up into icloud before, will it automatically pull up my game progress from cloud? Or do I have to restore from icloud in the initial setup?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
My Recently Added playlist in the Music app isn't updating. Anybody experiencing the same issue?

None of my "smart" playlists that are supposed to "live" update actually work unless synced with iTunes anymore. It used to be nice having recently played music actually sort itself, but like recently added and top played, they just randomly stopped working one day making them rather pointless unless you are sync happy all the time.

mrkgoo

None of my "smart" playlists that are supposed to "live" update actually work unless synced with iTunes anymore. It used to be nice having recently played music actually sort itself, but like recently added and top played, they just randomly stopped working one day making them rather pointless unless you are sync happy all the time.

I've seen this kind if issue before with iOS updates in the past.

My smart recently live playlists actually live update at the moment. I did gave to recently higher them a bit to get them to work during the weird buggy period - something like having to add a 'if media in playlist' or something, but recently had to take that off again.

Might be good idea to review your rules.

mrkgoo

My dad hates iOS7 since can't do internet searches from Spotlight anymore.

I find it funny that spotlight, which on a computer seems like such a power user feature, I never use on iOS, but many people who aren't tech geeks DO use it on their iPhones.

The Hermit

I am finally decided to update to ios7 (skipped 6.0) but...I need freaking 3,7GB free?! What the hell, I have to basically delete all my pics and musics, fuck that

mrkgoo

Well, he never uses Spotlight on OSX.

No idea :D

I know it's weird, huh.

Maybe Spotlight is used because iOS is much harder to navigate without a desktop like environment that they're familiar with?

That is, for example, safari windows aren't just 'open' to allow web searches right there so spotlight is a boon?

On Mac OS I constantly use spotlight.

tmdorsey

I am having this issue also at the moment. I can't get any new music on my phone.

AFAIK, this has been an issue since the very first version of iOS, where playlists don't update on the device only in itunes.

I've seen this kind if issue before with iOS updates in the past.

My smart recently live playlists actually live update at the moment. I did gave to recently higher them a bit to get them to work during the weird buggy period - something like having to add a 'if media in playlist' or something, but recently had to take that off again.

Might be good idea to review your rules.

When you say "live update" do you mean in iTunes or on the device itself?

mrkgoo

I am having this issue also at the moment. I can't get any new music on my phone.

AFAIK, this has been an issue since the very first version of iOS, where playlists don't update on the device only in itunes.

When you say "live update" do you mean in iTunes or on the device itself?

I was referring to the device. It used to work then went buggy for a bit, having to add some weird rules to even have them sync correctly.

But then something was rejiggered and live updating worked, but I think I had to mess with some rules in iTunes.

Currently it works for smart playlist like 'recently playing'. If I play a song on my iPhone it gets added to the recently played smart playlist.

Review your rules in iTunes.

tmdorsey

I was referring to the device. It used to work then went buggy for a bit, having to add some weird rules to even have them sync correctly.

But then something was rejiggered and live updating worked, but I think I had to mess with some rules in iTunes.

Currently it works for smart playlist like 'recently playing'. If I play a song on my iPhone it gets added to the recently played smart playlist.

Review your rules in iTunes.

When I review the rules what should I look for?

mollipen

"On Mac OS I constantly use spotlight."

so do I. cmd + space is convenient for getting to those apps not in the dock.

So weird that Apple with cmd + space for Spotlight. To me, that key combination has been and always will be for switching keyboard input types. (Of course, I realize that's a feature people probably use far less than Spotlight.)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Guys, how do I look up transit directions on the damn map?

Ninja Dom

I'm not hard core, but I assume it's all 64-bit OS and hardware. You don't HAVE to have 4GB ram to run 64-bit, but it's one of the most obvious reasons why you would want 64-bit - because 32-bit has a max RAM limit.

What about the Nintendo 64? That was years before people even imagined 4GB of RAM.

tmdorsey

Most importantly, a box that says 'live updating' should be checked.

Keep the rest simple. For a while you need a weird flag like 'is in a playlist', but that seems unnecessary now n

Alright, of course I had the live update box checked. I will try the rest.

mrkgoo

What about the Nintendo 64? That was years before people even imagined 4GB of RAM.
What about it?

I'm just saying that one reason that takes advantage if 64-bit is using 4GB of ram. It's not the only reason.

My understanding, which I actually learned back from when N64 was coming out and Nintendo was more on the cutting edge of tech before they decided not to fight in the arms wars, was that the 'bits' sort of refers to the size of the 'words' that are passed around the system. In a 64-bit system, each 'word' (register) is wider.

Eh, I'm not technical, but that's how my puny kid brain saw it.

Ashhong

I think iCloud photo stream only backs up the last 30 days of photos.

oh :( I thought it was all because when I looked at my photo stream before updating, it had my photos from like over a year ago in there. Oh well, good thing I used dropbox as well before restoring.

Loving iOS7 though. Only a few small gripes here and there, with the biggest being the lack of quick reply iMessages still (seriously, how hard could this feature be to implement????)

And I'm pissed at Google for making me use their stupid app in order to get Push email (for free).

Noema

Thanks.

The OS and included apps all run 64-bit code. And third party developers also have the tools to compile their apps with 64-bit instruction sets. In fact when you boot up an iPhone 5s there's not a single line of 32-bit code being executed.

There's an advantage in performance as well as the extended memory address space. Here a very detailed explanation:

Anandtech said:
As A64 is a brand new ISA, there are other benefits that come along with the move. Similar to the x86-64 transition, the move to A64 comes with an increase in the number of general purpose registers. ARMv7 had 15 general purpose registers (and 1 register for the program counter), while ARMv8/A64 now has 31 that are each 64-bits wide. All 31 registers are accessible at all times. Increasing the number of architectural registers decreases register pressure and can directly impact performance. The doubling of the register space with x86-64 was responsible for up to a 10% increase in performance.

64-bit seems to give memory performance a big boost, and all integer floating point operations see significant benefits as well.

All in all this seems to be another effort form Appel to make the most out of their silicon without having to resort to quad-core SoCs or without having to boost clock speed to the stratosphere, which negatively impacts battery life.

Read this. It's pretty technical but it's worth it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4

Has anyone else been having trouble with iMessage lately? I noticed on my iPhone that my messages wouldn't send. So I went into settings and noticed it said "Waiting for activation." Turned it off and then back on. Same message. Rebooted my phone, and messages would finally send, but then they would stop after a couple hours. I could message from my iPad on the same iTunes account just fine with no problems up until today. Now my iPad is doing the same thing and not sending messages. Curiously, in the settings for my iPad, there is no "Waiting for activation" message. It looks like everything is set up. I'm so frustrated.

Ninja Dom

Has anyone else been having trouble with iMessage lately? I noticed on my iPhone that my messages wouldn't send. So I went into settings and noticed it said "Waiting for activation." Turned it off and then back on. Same message. Rebooted my phone, and messages would finally send, but then they would stop after a couple hours. I could message from my iPad on the same iTunes account just fine with no problems up until today. Now my iPad is doing the same thing and not sending messages. Curiously, in the settings for my iPad, there is no "Waiting for activation" message. It looks like everything is set up. I'm so frustrated.

According to here everything is currently fine. http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

I've managed to use the service fine too across iPad, iPhone and Mac today. Using the same one Apple ID. Try signing out of iMessage on both devices then signing back in.

"What do you mean?"

what I think he means is that there's no way to reply to messages from the notification center or elsewhere. you have to be in the messages app to reply to someone.

Majine

Banned
That new feature in OSX that lets you interact with notifications from it without opening the app is great, and was kind of disappointed by it not being in iOS 7. I even made a mockup of how it could potentially look:

iLjp9b0c9Lqu7.png

Top Bottom