• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 7 | Flatness Is a Good Thing

Ashhong

What do you mean?

I mean that there is no way to reply to somebody without entering the Messages app. You know that popup that says "Open" or "Reply" when you get a message? I would like to be able to press Reply, have a keyboard popup and just reply right there.

I have been doing it with jailbroken apps since the OG iPhone. It really boggles my mind why it isn't there by default. Even Android doesn't do it IIRC. You have to install an app to enable it. Weird.

mrkgoo

Boring snark about missing iOS7 features. They redid the OS design. It's reasonable that some good new features wouldn't make the cut until next time.
Yeah there's still tones of things to implement. I'm sure it'll happen.

Sometimes sooner if enough people kick up a stink.

Personally I prefer them to try and implement less things well, as opposed to many things poorly, so after such a wide change through out the OS, I'm actually more surprised that it's working as well as it is so far.

Something is like to see in a future update is group FaceTime.

Foov

I had a couple of messages hang up and refuse to send this afternoon. I rebooted and they sent without issue.

I've been having that same problem for a few days now. Every time I restart the phone they get sent through. Hopefully whatever is causing it gets fixed.

Fuck.

Has anyone else had issues with your phone asking for your Apple ID at weird times? I can just cancel out of it, but it's still annoying as fuck.

mrkgoo

I think iCloud photo stream only backs up the last 30 days of photos.

It's not so much a backup, as it is a means of transferring photos to other devices without having to plug in, hence the reason of only 30 days.

Interestingly, Shared PHoto streams have no such time limit, rather they have like a photo limit.

would group FaceTime require a software update or different hardware?

I imagine a software update would suffice, so long as hardware is capable of processing multiple video streams. That said, I wouldn't put it beyond apple to do a hardware based version (ie maybe dedicated processing power or hardware decoding of codecs etc) and have it be a flagship feature of a new iPhone.

Fuck.

Has anyone else had issues with your phone asking for your Apple ID at weird times? I can just cancel out of it, but it's still annoying as fuck.

Define weird. I don't get weird times, normally only if I do something like restore IAP, and sometimes it behaves strange like asks twice.

Espresso

Banned
Curious, is there any reason users should avoid 7.0 altogether other than the obvious fact that it's not jailbroken yet? What I mean is, am I going to have a harder time jailbreaking my ios7 iPhone in the future because I updated already?

Are you already on 7.x? I don't think you'll have a harder time jailbreaking in the future because you're on 7.0.2 vs. 7.0. It has taken longer and longer each time to find exploits for a jailbreak, though. I'm not expecting a solution until March or so of next year.

Iacobellis

Are you already on 7.x? I don't think you'll have a harder time jailbreaking in the future because you're on 7.0.2 vs. 7.0. It has taken longer and longer each time to find exploits for a jailbreak, though. I'm not expecting a solution until March or so of next year.

Has the jailbreak scene been dwindling? I remember it being popular in the 2.x and 3.x days.

Espresso

Banned
Has the jailbreak scene been dwindling? I remember it being popular in the 2.x and 3.x days.

I'm not sure, really. It seems like the number of groups releasing jailbreak tools has declined over the years. Demand for Cydia apps has probably increased overall. The store's got bajillions of tweaks now.

mrkgoo

I imagine it has been dwindling due to 3 major reasons:

1) as iOS has matured, a lot of the features that people have wanted are actually incorporated now. At a guess I would say there probably was a huge drop off after ios5 that brought notifications centre.

2) as android has matured, it has become increasingly enticing to shift platforms.

3) as time goes by, the exploits used to jail break have become increasingly scarce as apple patches them up.

Iacobellis

1) as iOS has matured, a lot of the features that people have wanted are actually incorporated now. At a guess I would say there probably was a huge drop off after ios5 that brought notifications centre.

2) as android has matured, it has become increasingly enticing to shift platforms.

3) as time goes by, the exploits used to jail break have become increasingly scarce as apple patches them up.

True. I remember jailbreaking solely for a SpringBoard wallpaper.

Guess Who

Banned

Yup. Jailbreaking was important in the 2.x and 3.x days because iOS was lacking a lot of commonly requested features (MMS, backgrounding, even changing your wallpaper) and Android was pretty shit as an alternative. These days many common jailbreaking tweaks of ye olden years are just part of iOS, and the kind of people who want even more functionality that jailbreaking provides are probably just going to go Android. Nowadays the biggest reason most people jailbreak, I'd wager, is piracy.

Iacobellis

Yup. Jailbreaking was important in the 2.x and 3.x days because iOS was lacking a lot of commonly requested features (MMS, backgrounding, even changing your wallpaper) and Android was pretty shit as an alternative. These days many common jailbreaking tweaks of ye olden years are just part of iOS, and the kind of people who want even more functionality that jailbreaking provides are probably just going to go Android. Nowadays the biggest reason most people jailbreak, I'd wager, is piracy.

Does piracy still work? I mean, there's always a way, but I remember that Installous got shut down about a year ago.

Define weird. I don't get weird times, normally only if I do something like restore IAP, and sometimes it behaves strange like asks twice.

I will unlock my phone and it will go to the home screen like normal, and then it will just ask for my Apple ID password.

I'm not downloading anything, I'm not getting IAP, I'm just sitting on my home screen.

cube444

The OS and included apps all run 64-bit code. And third party developers also have the tools to compile their apps with 64-bit instruction sets. In fact when you boot up an iPhone 5s there's not a single line of 32-bit code being executed.

There's an advantage in performance as well as the extended memory address space. Here a very detailed explanation:

64-bit seems to give memory performance a big boost, and all integer floating point operations see significant benefits as well.

All in all this seems to be another effort form Appel to make the most out of their silicon without having to resort to quad-core SoCs or without having to boost clock speed to the stratosphere, which negatively impacts battery life.

Read this. It's pretty technical but it's worth it:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7335/the-iphone-5s-review/4

Thanks for the info.

mrkgoo

I will unlock my phone and it will go to the home screen like normal, and then it will just ask for my Apple ID password.

I'm not downloading anything, I'm not getting IAP, I'm just sitting on my home screen.

Maybe there are some iCloud problems.

I hear some people having issues with iMessage, and iRadio.

It is crappy that you really don't know what is making the call to sign in though, and that's a worry.

Maybe there are some iCloud problems.

I hear some people having issues with iMessage, and iRadio.

It is crappy that you really don't know what is making the call to sign in though, and that's a worry.

I just wish I knew what the issue was! I cant even reproduce the issue on queue, it just happens sometimes, haha.

I will keep fucking around with the settings and see what I can figure out I guess. I was just hoping it was a common issue with an easy fix.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I had iOS6 jailbroken. The things I used it for were:
1) AdBlock
2) f.lux
3) hiding Newsstand
4) a variety of small patches that disabled annoying stuff like the popup on Tapatalk powered forums that asks you to download their stupid app

I'm running my phone on iOS7 and my iPad on iOS6 right now. I don't see AdBlock ever happening, I think it'd be more likely for Apple to allow people to swap out Safari for another browser than to actually implement a system-level ad blocker. f.lux I could see possibly happening at some point, but probably as a system-level colour calibration rather than anything else.

sikkinixx

Speaking of Airdrop, it's kind of dumb it doesn't work between Macbooks and iPhones. The first and only time I wanted to use that feature it was for that... Oh well, guess Google Drive is good enough for that sort of thing.

I'm hoping maybe with Mavericks will allow it. It's really annoying.

Quick

Banned
I did an AirDrop between my iPod Touch and iPhone. It's actually pretty cool. It probably won't be a feature a lot of people will take advantage of, though.

mrkgoo

does enabling auto brightness help or hurt battery life?

Depends.

The whole point is that it manages brightness for you. So if you constantly have it on high, then autobrightness will help, as it will dim it as you need.

But if you would otherwise have it much lower than the autobrightness would use, then it would use up more battery to have it on.

Anyone have iTunes radio issues tonight? It would not play anything and would lock up the music player on my phone. Didn't even work on my AppleTV either.

Mindwipe

I don't think so. I imagine the bigger reasons are changing the default apps (maps especially) and full file system access.

Blackhead

Redarse
Does piracy still work? I mean, there's always a way, but I remember that Installous got shut down about a year ago.

Actually piracy is even easier since it's no longer necessary to be jailbroken to run pirated apps. Perhaps now that idea that popularity of jailbreak = piracy can be discredited.

The number of people that jailbroke this year was a new record, there are more cydia tweaks, the tweaks get more sophisticated, there are more groups working on exploits, there are successful jailbreak conventions and so on. The issue is not the size and popularity of the jailbreak community, the issue is that Apple is clamping down so hard. There still isnt a jailbreak for the AppleTV 3 yet!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I wish Apple would just go down the list of top 5 legit reasons to jailbreak, and make them iOS8 features.

I mean, what does Apple really get by locking down the default browser? User data? And perhaps they still have that, considering third party browsers use the Safari engine.

Majine

Banned
I hope Skype gets their big update soon, that app is so stupid at the moment. The way it has to login all the time, and the way it pushes notifications, etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I hope Skype gets their big update soon, that app is so stupid at the moment. The way it has to login all the time, and the way it pushes notifications, etc.
The way it gives me a nagging warning that its "not supported on modified versions of iOS" because I'm jailbroken (and then works anyway).

That was in there since before MS bought it.. I think that company should know better than to vilify jailbreakers.

Mindwipe

I wish Apple would just go down the list of top 5 legit reasons to jailbreak, and make them iOS8 features.

I mean, what does Apple really get by locking down the default browser? User data? And perhaps they still have that, considering third party browsers use the Safari engine.

Apple have stopped being willing to disrupt themselves, and a combination of not invented here syndrome.

Unfortunately the App Store is a cancer inside the company, so the first reaction to bad products now is how to artificially prop them up with the control they have over the OS rather than letting them die in the market as they should do (maps).

Javier

Probably asked but thread is way too big and didn't find this in OP.

With iOS6, I browsed NeoGAF mobile on my iPhone while always staying logged in. Now, on iOS7, it logs me out every time I stop browsing GAF on my iPhone for a long period of time (even a couple of hours). Any way to solve this?

Top Bottom